Letang broke foot/hand according to RDS

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Letang broke foot/hand according to RDS

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon May 19, 2014 2:55 pm

Just when I thought Letang's trade value couldn't take another hit, he breaks a foot and hand.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Mon May 19, 2014 3:02 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Didn't Crosby play in the 08 finals (possibly the ECF too) with a broken foot?

This in regards to "players being able to play with broken bones"

Montreal series in 2010 I think
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Mon May 19, 2014 3:12 pm

My hope is that with a new head coach, a new system, Kris Letang plays a consistently high level game.
That is my hope for a more than a few of the penguin players.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Cr@zy871 on Mon May 19, 2014 3:15 pm

So let em get this correct. He is off for close to 3 months, then comes back, plays 15 games, and now has a broken hand and foot...

Dude is made of glass, no way does he live up to that contract value... Especially if he is only playing ~50 games/season. Ray really shot us in the foot with this one.
Cr@zy871
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon May 19, 2014 3:18 pm

penny lane wrote:My hope is that with a new head coach, a new system, Kris Letang plays a consistently high level game.

Whats unfortunate is if Letang plays at the top of his game he is a $5M a year player.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Mon May 19, 2014 3:19 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
penny lane wrote:My hope is that with a new head coach, a new system, Kris Letang plays a consistently high level game.

Whats unfortunate is if Letang plays at the top of his game he is a $5M a year player.

lol ok
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Carlyle25 on Mon May 19, 2014 3:19 pm

I saw him this past Friday afternoon at Whole Foods Wexford and he did NOT have a cast on either hand or either foot. In fact, he was walking normally and having no trouble making selections from the hot food bar.
Carlyle25

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon May 19, 2014 3:23 pm

slappybrown wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

lol ok

haha. Way to chime in, but Letang making more than Chara, Doughty, and Keith is insane.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Three Stars on Mon May 19, 2014 3:25 pm

Cr@zy871 wrote:So let em get this correct. He is off for close to 3 months, then comes back, plays 15 games, and now has a broken hand and foot...

Dude is made of glass, no way does he live up to that contract value... Especially if he is only playing ~50 games/season. Ray really shot us in the foot with this one.

I don't think missing time from a stroke has anything to do with missing time from broken bones, especially considering he's missing all of zero games because of the broken bones.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 19, 2014 3:26 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Didn't Crosby play in the 08 finals (possibly the ECF too) with a broken foot?

This in regards to "players being able to play with broken bones"

I think that was 2007 vs. OTT.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Mon May 19, 2014 3:27 pm

After he sees the prices at Whole Foods, he might need further medical attention.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Cr@zy871 on Mon May 19, 2014 3:30 pm

Three Stars wrote:
Cr@zy871 wrote:So let em get this correct. He is off for close to 3 months, then comes back, plays 15 games, and now has a broken hand and foot...

I don't think missing time from a stroke has anything to do with missing time from broken bones, especially considering he's missing all of zero games because of the broken bones.

I am not making the point that the stroke caused broken bones, but that (other than the stroke conditions) he should have been 100% healthy. Making that case that in a matter of 15 games, he went from 100% health to a broken hand and foot is concerning... I also don't recall seeing him involved in anything overly physical during the playoffs either.
Cr@zy871
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Mon May 19, 2014 3:32 pm

slappybrown wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

lol ok

I was about to reply to thg's post, but this reply sums up my regards as well.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon May 19, 2014 3:33 pm

columbia wrote:After he sees the prices at Whole Foods, he might need further medical attention.

If I had Letang's money I'd burn mine.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 19, 2014 3:35 pm

Breaking bones can be chalked up to just being unlucky. It's a contact sport, after all.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dodint on Mon May 19, 2014 3:36 pm

Breaking bones on two completely different extremities on the same individual in the same 2-game span must be terribly unlucky.

If luck is a bankable quantity like that then there is another reason to trade him.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Mon May 19, 2014 3:44 pm

I forget who it was, probably Dejan cause he's about the only reporter around here worth anything, but he said that Letang should be where Doughty is and he isn't even close. That really sunk in.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Mon May 19, 2014 3:47 pm

mac5155 wrote:I forget who it was, probably Dejan cause he's about the only reporter around here worth anything, but he said that Letang should be where Doughty is and he isn't even close. That really sunk in.

What is that suppose to mean?
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Mon May 19, 2014 3:49 pm

meow wrote:
mac5155 wrote:I forget who it was, probably Dejan cause he's about the only reporter around here worth anything, but he said that Letang should be where Doughty is and he isn't even close. That really sunk in.

That his development hasnt really gone how it should have.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Mon May 19, 2014 3:50 pm

mac5155 wrote:
meow wrote:

My main concern is that you think Dejan is worth anything.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby slappybrown on Mon May 19, 2014 3:50 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

lol ok

haha. Way to chime in, but Letang making more than Chara, Doughty, and Keith is insane.

I mean I really shouldn't have to do this, but ok:

Chara's contract went into effect at age 35. Have fun paying Chara a $6.9mm cap hit at age 40 plus.

Doughty's contract is a deal. It also went into effect in 2011-2012, not 2014-2015 like Letang's.

Keith's is an old cap circumvention deal and is 13 years long. Comparing that to Letang's deal post-new CBA makes no sense.

Second, your comment was Letang maxes out as a 5mm a year player if he plays at the top of his game. Not, "Drew Doughty's contract is better than Letang's contract"; were it the latter, no one would have said anything, because: no ****.

If Letang plays as well as he did in 2011-2012, then no one is going to complain about his contract. Saying that you don't think he can is reasonable; saying that at best he's a 5mm a year player ignores reality.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon May 19, 2014 3:56 pm

slappybrown wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

lol ok

I mean I really shouldn't have to do this, but ok:

Chara's contract went into effect at age 35. Have fun paying Chara a $6.9mm cap hit at age 40 plus.

Doughty's contract is a deal. It also went into effect in 2011-2012, not 2014-2015 like Letang's.

Keith's is an old cap circumvention deal and is 13 years long. Comparing that to Letang's deal post-new CBA makes no sense.

Second, your comment was Letang maxes out as a 5mm a year player if he plays at the top of his game. Not, "Drew Doughty's contract is better than Letang's contract"; were it the latter, no one would have said anything, because: no ****.

If Letang plays as well as he did in 2011-2012, then no one is going to complain about his contract. Saying that you don't think he can is reasonable; saying that at best he's a 5mm a year player ignores reality.

Chara will only be making 4 million when he's 41 and that's the last year of his deal.

Besides, he's such a physical freak that he can probably play until he's 45 and still be a top 4 d-man.

It's ok to say that we're overpaying Letang, no one is going to punch you for it.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 19, 2014 3:56 pm

meow wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
meow wrote:

My main concern is that you think Dejan is worth anything.

IIRC, and it's entirely possible I'm not, I think that point about Letang's development was as much a dig on the coaching staff as anything--not that the coaching staff was ruining Letang, but that the system and handling of him therein had caused him to regress.

Edit: ruining
Last edited by Lt. Dish on Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kaizer on Mon May 19, 2014 3:57 pm

i love this argument. just like when someone here said Staal was injury prone because subban sliced him open with a skate blade. do you know how his foot and hand got broken? its very possible that whatever caused these injuries would have the same effect on any player. are you saying hes too unlucky to keep a roster spot?
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby slappybrown on Mon May 19, 2014 3:57 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
Chara will only be making 4 million when he's 41 and that's the last year of his deal.

Besides, he's such a physical freak that he can probably play until he's 45 and still be a top 4 d-man.

It's ok to say that we're overpaying Letang, no one is going to punch you for it.

You should re-read and try again.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins