Brisson removes his name from GM job

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Brisson removes his name from GM job

Postby SpinnerSpencer on Mon May 19, 2014 12:08 pm

Just mentioned on Trib Radio.
Last edited by SpinnerSpencer on Mon May 19, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpinnerSpencer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Brisson removes his name form GM job

Postby pens_CT on Mon May 19, 2014 12:10 pm

Current position pays a lot more money than a GM, and he doesn't have a job security issue. No real surprise here.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Brisson removes his name from GM job

Postby DelPen on Mon May 19, 2014 12:15 pm

I also removed my name from the GM job too. Is that news?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon May 19, 2014 12:17 pm

pens_CT wrote:Current position pays a lot more money than a GM, and he doesn't have a job security issue. No real surprise here.

I never thought this made any sense for the reasons you mentioned.

Plus does an agent really have any clue how to run a hockey team? I feel like any good business negotiator could potentially be an agent, but definitely not a general manager.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon May 19, 2014 12:18 pm

Good.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Defence21 on Mon May 19, 2014 12:24 pm

DelPen wrote:I also removed my name from the GM job too. Is that news?

Brisson's name is news because this is the second high profile GM position he has been considered as a candidate to fill, and with Crosby here, the topic was of much debate. Withdrawing his name is certainly news, albeit not major.

Personally, I'm thrilled to hear this. The Penguins firing Shero is fine by me, but if and only if they had/have a legitimate plan in place to not only replace him, but to improve upon him. Shero had his faults, but there's no denying he has done a lot of good for this franchise and left just one year after being name GM of the Year. There will be big shoes to fill, and I'm not sure someone like Brisson, who has zero front office experience, is the right way to go.

I'm hoping for Botterill or one of his well-respected Assistant GM counterparts from around the league.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_srq on Mon May 19, 2014 12:24 pm

At least we can put to rest the Crosby coup theories.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon May 19, 2014 12:26 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:Current position pays a lot more money than a GM, and he doesn't have a job security issue. No real surprise here.

Plus does an agent really have any clue how to run a hockey team? I feel like any good business negotiator could potentially be an agent, but definitely not a general manager.

I was not a fan of bringing in Brisson, but with that being said, who is to say he wouldn't be a good GM? He's connected in the business, has experience evaluating and studying players, knows the game well, and is an expert negotiator. That doesn't mean he'd be a success, but it certainly doesn't preclude him from being one.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby djlm on Mon May 19, 2014 1:20 pm

Does he have more players or just Sid?

If he was to become a GM could he continue as an agent? Surely not it would be conflict of interest right?
djlm
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kovy27 on Mon May 19, 2014 1:26 pm

djlm wrote:Does he have more players or just Sid?

If he was to become a GM could he continue as an agent? Surely not it would be conflict of interest right?

If you are an agent, you can not be a GM. He'd have to give up the agent portion to become a GM.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon May 19, 2014 1:31 pm

Defence21 wrote:
I'm hoping for Botterill or one of his well-respected Assistant GM counterparts from around the league.

Botterill is going to have to show them that he wasn't responsible for the poor drafting/development. But he was WBS GM for awhile; that will hurt. And as assistant GM, he had to have some say in draft matters. I suspect for these reasons he won't get the job.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon May 19, 2014 1:35 pm

i'd much rather have a former agent than a former player.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon May 19, 2014 1:36 pm

Brian Burke!!!!
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon May 19, 2014 1:37 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

Botterill is going to have to show them that he wasn't responsible for the poor drafting/development. But he was WBS GM for awhile; that will hurt. And as assistant GM, he had to have some say in draft matters. I suspect for these reasons he won't get the job.

drafting was the shero regime's only significant weakness. if botterill had nothing to do with the draft (which, from what i've heard, is likely), then i'd welcome him as the new GM
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Mon May 19, 2014 1:41 pm

Yes. I can't remember who off the top of my head, but a number of very high profile players. Some who are coming into UFA and contract extension years.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon May 19, 2014 1:41 pm

Botterill sounds more like a management/buisness guy and not really a talent evaluater. I guess I'd be OK with him provided they got someone really solid to advice on player moves, but that sounds janky. I'd rather have the opposite, have a talent guy as the GM and a business guy in the background.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Mon May 19, 2014 1:42 pm

Defence21 wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:

I was not a fan of bringing in Brisson, but with that being said, who is to say he wouldn't be a good GM? He's connected in the business, has experience evaluating and studying players, knows the game well, and is an expert negotiator. That doesn't mean he'd be a success, but it certainly doesn't preclude him from being one.

Yeah, I was gonna say, he's the co-head of his agency, not just a random agent. They all probably do their homework a lot better than the Pens' scouting staff does anyway (not that that'd be too hard). I wasn't a huge fan of it happening, but people acting like he's just some business guy who doesn't have a strong beat on the game are just clueless into what his particular job entails.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Mon May 19, 2014 1:42 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

drafting was the shero regime's only significant weakness. if botterill had nothing to do with the draft (which, from what i've heard, is likely), then i'd welcome him as the new GM

I fear that he might keep Bylsma around.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby MRandall25 on Mon May 19, 2014 1:44 pm

llipgh2 wrote:

Yes. I can't remember who off the top of my head, but a number of very high profile players. Some who are coming into UFA and contract extension years.

Toews is definitely one I can remember off the top of my head.

List also includes, but is not limited to, Kane, Erik Johnson, and Mackinnon (had to look those up)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The U on Mon May 19, 2014 1:45 pm

This doesn't mean he was officially asked or offered the job.

The report is that the Pens contact Brisson to see if he had any recommendations or thoughts on potential GMs. Nobody has reported that he was offered and turned down the job.

Pierre McGuire is on record saying he won't take the job either. Not that he was ever called or offered.

The list of random/off-the-wall candidates is dwindling. The new GM will probably be some guy who is currently an assistant GM somewhere else.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The U on Mon May 19, 2014 1:50 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Botterill sounds more like a management/buisness guy and not really a talent evaluater. I guess I'd be OK with him provided they got someone really solid to advice on player moves, but that sounds janky. I'd rather have the opposite, have a talent guy as the GM and a business guy in the background.

That's probably why he is still an Assistant GM. The GM should be the guy who evaluates talent, scouts, makes trades, builds the roster. The assistant should be the capologist.

I don't want a guy good with Spreadsheets, Accounting, and Numbers to be the one building my team and swinging trades. I want the "numbers guy" to be the GMs right-hand-man.

As I mentioned in a previous thread/post, the Steelers have their own version of Botterill. His name is Omar Khan. Younger guy that is seen as an expert Capologist. He has interviewed for a decent number of GM jobs but has never landed one. He is seen as an up and coming future GM but if you aren't seen in the industry as an EXPERT on the talent side, it's going to be real hard to convince a team to give you the keys to the entire front office.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Mon May 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Curious to see how this is going to play out and who they bring on. There aren't many big name candidates out there. Do they go with an Assitant GM from another team? or bring on a veteran?...we will see...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Mon May 19, 2014 2:01 pm

The Assistant GM runs the minor league affiliate, among other things. That's how it is everywhere. Botterill has done a pretty good job keeping a solid balance and inlfux of talent funneling through WBS with signings and trades the past few years. He's not just "some numbers guy."
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meow on Mon May 19, 2014 2:05 pm

This is a no-brainer on his part. Why switch to a lower paying, higher stress, decreased longevity career?
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Beveridge on Mon May 19, 2014 2:06 pm

meow wrote:This is a no-brainer on his part. Why switch to a lower paying, higher stress, decreased longevity career?

The challenge.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins