Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sat May 24, 2014 9:00 am

columbia wrote:Patrick Lalime?


Doesn't he still have the record for longest non-losing streak at like 18 games or something?
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,694
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby count2infinity on Sat May 24, 2014 9:02 am

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
columbia wrote:Patrick Lalime?


Doesn't he still have the record for longest non-losing streak at like 18 games or something?


If memory serves, that record is Barasso's. I think he holds the most wins without a loss as a rookie, but I could be wrong.

Edit:

Just looked it up:

Longest undefeated streak by a goaltender from start of career: Patrick Lalime 16 games (14 wins, 2 ties 1996–97)

Most consecutive wins by a Team: 17 games Pittsburgh Penguins - 1993... I just assumed that Barrasso was responsible for most of those wins, but I can't find a most consecutive wins by a goalie. The longest undefeated streak is Gerry Cheevers, 32 games (24 wins, 8 ties 1971–72)
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,181
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby brwi on Sat May 24, 2014 11:32 am

I don't see any reason on the planet to try and get Miller. That is a sideways move and not an upgrade at all over MAF. I'm not the biggest MAF fan out there, but he's as good(or better) as Miller, has a fair contract, and isn't the "problem" on post-season Pens' teams this year at least, even if he had been the last few post-seasons. Other areas to shore up first. Removing DB would be the first on my list.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,129
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby Jim on Tue May 27, 2014 8:39 am

Sometimes, especially when it is close, "better" and "worse" are not as important as "different"...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,609
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby DelPen on Tue May 27, 2014 8:47 am

Jim wrote:Sometimes, especially when it is close, "better" and "worse" are not as important as "different"...


If Miller would sign for no more than $5 million sure but more expensive but different is worse than sticking with what you know that is cheaper.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,510
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby Jim on Tue May 27, 2014 9:48 am

DelPen wrote:
Jim wrote:Sometimes, especially when it is close, "better" and "worse" are not as important as "different"...


If Miller would sign for no more than $5 million sure but more expensive but different is worse than sticking with what you know that is cheaper.


Understood. In an odd turn for me... I have not really been in the "get rid of Fleury" camp, although I am not against it.

I just feel that this team NEEDS a shakeup on the ice and that means a couple of the big names moving on. Fleury is one of the big names that needs to be considered.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,609
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby DelPen on Tue May 27, 2014 10:19 am

Jim wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Jim wrote:Sometimes, especially when it is close, "better" and "worse" are not as important as "different"...


If Miller would sign for no more than $5 million sure but more expensive but different is worse than sticking with what you know that is cheaper.


Understood. In an odd turn for me... I have not really been in the "get rid of Fleury" camp, although I am not against it.

I just feel that this team NEEDS a shakeup on the ice and that means a couple of the big names moving on. Fleury is one of the big names that needs to be considered.


Don't disagree at all. I wouldn't hate seeing Fluery for Cam Ward provided the Canes took on the salary difference and made it worth our while for them to essentially get off the hook a year early for most of Ward's contract. Or find another team that wants to make a change for the sake of making a change if salary is a wash.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,510
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby BleuLineLady on Tue May 27, 2014 10:28 am

Ryan Miller hasn't won a big game ever...what has he ever done, but lose when it counts. A very good goalie but how much better do the Penguins become switching Fleury for Miller. I dont know. I think with a strong defense in front of Fleury, he is fully capable of winning another Stanley Cup. I think he has had his issues, but part of the problem was also a team that played a style that often left him out to dry. A team that would get rattled easily, showed little composure, little discipline and a lack of defensive awareness to help out their goalie. Fleury played much better this playoffs and kept them in some games they maybe should have lost. Much of Fleury's mishaps in my opinion was representative of Bylsma's failures as a coach and the system (or lack their of) that the team played with. All goalies, even the best, are a reflection of the players in front of them. You think Lundqvist would be the king without a consistently fairly stingy Rangers defense. The King is a great goaltender, but put him on Edmonton where the defense is terrible and I guarantee you his numbers wont be anywhere near as good as they are. Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but my point is, replace the coach and GM and let the two of them fix the personnel and style of play that will be conducive to better defensive play. As long as Fleury is not asking for much more than what he is getting now, I sign him to an extension. Not super long, but an additional 3-4 years. Maybe 4 years at 4.5 mil or 3 years at 5.5 mil.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:54 am

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue May 27, 2014 10:30 am

DelPen wrote:
Don't disagree at all. I wouldn't hate seeing Fluery for Cam Ward provided the Canes took on the salary difference and made it worth our while for them to essentially get off the hook a year early for most of Ward's contract. Or find another team that wants to make a change for the sake of making a change if salary is a wash.


I used to think Ward was better than Fleury. Not anymore. he's been beat up the last couple years and you have to wonder if injuries have taken their toll. He just can't stay healthy You'd be trading one year of Fleury for two years of an injury-prone Ward at a higher salary. Makes no sense to me.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,759
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby DelPen on Tue May 27, 2014 10:35 am

Mad City Mike wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Don't disagree at all. I wouldn't hate seeing Fluery for Cam Ward provided the Canes took on the salary difference and made it worth our while for them to essentially get off the hook a year early for most of Ward's contract. Or find another team that wants to make a change for the sake of making a change if salary is a wash.


I used to think Ward was better than Fleury. Not anymore. he's been beat up the last couple years and you have to wonder if injuries have taken their toll. He just can't stay healthy You'd be trading one year of Fleury for two years of an injury-prone Ward at a higher salary. Makes no sense to me.


Which is why I'd want Carolina to eat the salary difference and throw in a prospect or decent pick.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,510
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby skullman80 on Tue May 27, 2014 10:37 am

Which Carolina wouldn't do.. so kind of a moot point.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,019
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 am

skullman80 wrote:Which Carolina wouldn't do.. so kind of a moot point.


Yeah, especially now that Rutherford is gone :lol:
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,759
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby Jim on Tue May 27, 2014 10:49 am

DelPen wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Don't disagree at all. I wouldn't hate seeing Fluery for Cam Ward provided the Canes took on the salary difference and made it worth our while for them to essentially get off the hook a year early for most of Ward's contract. Or find another team that wants to make a change for the sake of making a change if salary is a wash.


I used to think Ward was better than Fleury. Not anymore. he's been beat up the last couple years and you have to wonder if injuries have taken their toll. He just can't stay healthy You'd be trading one year of Fleury for two years of an injury-prone Ward at a higher salary. Makes no sense to me.


Which is why I'd want Carolina to eat the salary difference and throw in a prospect or decent pick.


Could sign Hiller and package Fleury for other assets (forward, etc). But again, just if Fleury is one of the "names" that you decide to move to shake the pot...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,609
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Digitalgypsy66, llipgh2 and 15 guests

e-mail