Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu May 22, 2014 3:39 pm

DelPen wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
tfrizz wrote:Andi Petrillo ‏@andipHNIC 3m
The New York Islanders announced today that goaltender Jaroslav Halak has agreed to terms on a four-year contract.


4 years, $18 million. Good move for the Islanders and a pretty damn good deal for them as well.


It's scary when the Islanders sign a reasonable contract.


Islanders also kept their 2014 1st round pick and will send their 2015 1st round pick to the Sabres to complete the Vanek deal. Hoping that a legitimate goalie will prevent them from giving a top 10 pick away.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,348
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby Crankshaft on Thu May 22, 2014 3:40 pm

Halak will be a good fit for the Islanders.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,557
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu May 22, 2014 3:40 pm

I just think Miller would go through the same criticisms as Fleury here.

I really don't want to see Fleury go. He's a big reason the Pens made it out of the first round. That being said, if the Pens were going after anyone I'd like them to target Hiller or try to acquire Reimer, but I don't know what Toronto's stance is on their goalie situation.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,781
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby tfrizz on Thu May 22, 2014 4:15 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:I just think Miller would go through the same criticisms as Fleury here.

I really don't want to see Fleury go. He's a big reason the Pens made it out of the first round. That being said, if the Pens were going after anyone I'd like them to target Hiller or try to acquire Reimer, but I don't know what Toronto's stance is on their goalie situation.


The Pens would be better off with Fleury than Hiller. He's hasn't been the same since starting to deal with vertigo 3 years ago, and I'm sure age (mid-30s) isn't helping any either.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,539
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu May 22, 2014 4:37 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:I just think Miller would go through the same criticisms as Fleury here.

I really don't want to see Fleury go. He's a big reason the Pens made it out of the first round. That being said, if the Pens were going after anyone I'd like them to target Hiller or try to acquire Reimer, but I don't know what Toronto's stance is on their goalie situation.


The Pens would be better off with Fleury than Hiller. He's hasn't been the same since starting to deal with vertigo 3 years ago, and I'm sure age (mid-30s) isn't helping any either.


I don't want to trade Fleury at all. Just not sure what kind of deal they think they can pull off if not through FA.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,781
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby wondermoose on Thu May 22, 2014 7:03 pm

I'm okay with trading Fleury if they make a legitimate attempt to bring in someone young and promising. Picking up Miller or whoever is shortsighted. This team is good enough to have a goalie go through some growing pains until Jarry has a few more years under his belt. There are a plethora of young goalies in this league waiting to get a good chance and Pittsburgh is a good enough team to help them break in.

By the way, Tristan Jarry. Wow. Postseason stud right there. Hoping he pulls through in the Memorial Cup semis this Friday. Big games are crucial for a young goalie's psyche. I don't think Fleury ever truly recovered from the World Juniors disaster; he is just naturally good enough to pull out a Cup-winning performance.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,036
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri May 23, 2014 6:56 am

wondermoose wrote:I'm okay with trading Fleury if they make a legitimate attempt to bring in someone young and promising. Picking up Miller or whoever is shortsighted. This team is good enough to have a goalie go through some growing pains until Jarry has a few more years under his belt. There are a plethora of young goalies in this league waiting to get a good chance and Pittsburgh is a good enough team to help them break in.

By the way, Tristan Jarry. Wow. Postseason stud right there. Hoping he pulls through in the Memorial Cup semis this Friday. Big games are crucial for a young goalie's psyche. I don't think Fleury ever truly recovered from the World Juniors disaster; he is just naturally good enough to pull out a Cup-winning performance.


I'm sure there is a great list of maybe 10 or so available young and promising goaltenders that we can "grow" with over the next few years while we wait for Jarry.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,821
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby Froggy on Fri May 23, 2014 7:47 am

Assuming Jarry is a future starter, I'd think 3 maybe 4 years down the road is a conservative estimate. I'm fine giving Fleury a 3 year deal after this season, barring another total post season melt down.

The new gm shouldn't even THINK about talking to Fleury about a contract until after the playoffs next year. Locking him up early would be idiotic.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,844
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby Trip McNeely on Fri May 23, 2014 8:13 am

If we are set on moving Fleury (which I'm not sure I would even consider it), I would much rather look to grab James Reimer in a trade
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,015
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:07 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby count2infinity on Fri May 23, 2014 8:39 am

I think people really need to pump the brakes on Jarry. He very well may be the next big name starter in Pittsburgh, but it's far to early to tell.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,398
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri May 23, 2014 11:14 am

count2infinity wrote:I think people really need to pump the brakes on Jarry. He very well may be the next big name starter in Pittsburgh, but it's far to early to tell.


Yes, guys who can play in the NHL in net at the 19-24 range are few and far between... Fleury gives the penguins flexibility here in not having to rush a guy to the NHL.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,821
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby Pitts on Fri May 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Trip McNeely wrote:If we are set on moving Fleury (which I'm not sure I would even consider it), I would much rather look to grab James Reimer in a trade

:face: I just don't know what other people see in all these random fringe NHL goalies. Fleury is the best option available this off season! I wish everyone could understand that.

As stated, keep Fleury, nurse Jarry until he's ready. Then, the two can switch places as starter/backup.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,819
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby wondermoose on Sat May 24, 2014 1:15 am

In response to those that think it's premature to be excited for Jarry: as if what he did in the WHL playoffs wasn't enough, he just led the Edmonton to the Memorial Cup final with a 3 goal, triple OT performance. As a Pens fan, that's exciting.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,036
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby mikey287 on Sat May 24, 2014 1:19 am

Yeah, I said in another thread. We might have the best d-man and best goalie in the WHL. I'm trying to think of the last time we had a goalie prospect that was this exciting and had this much upside. And it's almost certainly Marc-Andre Fleury...now, that's more of an indictment of our goalie scouting and development than saying Jarry is the next Barrasso...but he's a promising kid who has a lot of tools at his disposal...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,504
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby skullman80 on Sat May 24, 2014 1:20 am

It's ok to be excited for Jarry, I am as well, but to expect him to be ready to be a full time NHL starter this year or next year... its just not within reason.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,787
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat May 24, 2014 1:42 am

Jarry is 19. Fleury was 18 when he came into the league. What is different in Jarry's performance that makes him not as ready as MAF was at his age?

He will have another year to be a starter in the WHL, but season after next I don't think its out of the question that we could see him in the NHL, depending on his performance of course.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,647
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:39 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby wondermoose on Sat May 24, 2014 1:46 am

To be fair, John Gibson is 20 so it's not like it's unheard of. That said, we'll see how much damage Game 7 did to him in the long run.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,036
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat May 24, 2014 1:48 am

mikey287 wrote:Yeah, I said in another thread. We might have the best d-man and best goalie in the WHL.


None of that now. We are supposed to be complaining about how Shero was terrible at drafting. :lol:
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,647
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:39 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby skullman80 on Sat May 24, 2014 2:08 am

FallenHero96 wrote:Jarry is 19. Fleury was 18 when he came into the league. What is different in Jarry's performance that makes him not as ready as MAF was at his age?

He will have another year to be a starter in the WHL, but season after next I don't think its out of the question that we could see him in the NHL, depending on his performance of course.


Fleury was a number one overall pick. Fleury had little to no competition, and honestly he was put out there as a drawing card to get people in the arena to see an otherwise dismal squad/bad hockey team at that point. Situations are just totally different.

I was at Fleury's first game, against the kings, home opener of whatever year that was. He faced like 50+ shots that game. The raw talent was there, but it needed refined, plus the team in front of him sucked hardcore.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope Jarry continues on his upward tick and is ready to go sooner than I expect.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,787
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby Tico Rick on Sat May 24, 2014 7:16 am

^ What skullman said.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,365
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Disco is dead.

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby mikey287 on Sat May 24, 2014 7:57 am

Yeah, pretty much. Fleury didn't actually belong in the NHL at 18. But man, I won't forget those first handful of games.Especially that opener vs. Los Angeles.

Fleury's raw ability is like few I've seen. Gibson is a special talent. He is the best goalie prospect in the world. Jarry is not on that level or even particularly close. But he's evolving into a fine goalie prospect and hopefully he continues to track upward and we can lay claim to drafting and developing a legitimate NHL starter. Which, outside of Fleury, can we lay any claim to that in the last 30 years? I'm still a little foggy this morning, but I can't think of one off hand.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,504
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby columbia on Sat May 24, 2014 8:00 am

Patrick Lalime?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,407
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby mikey287 on Sat May 24, 2014 8:14 am

Yup. Good call. Forgot about him.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,504
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby columbia on Sat May 24, 2014 8:19 am

It's not a long list....yoi.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,407
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby count2infinity on Sat May 24, 2014 8:59 am

wondermoose wrote:In response to those that think it's premature to be excited for Jarry: as if what he did in the WHL playoffs wasn't enough, he just led the Edmonton to the Memorial Cup final with a 3 goal, triple OT performance. As a Pens fan, that's exciting.


I'm not saying there's no need to be excited, I'm just saying pump the brakes. I would much rather watch him fully develop while we have Fleury and see how he plays out. From everything I've seen, he looks great, but goalies can be head cases and he might decline just as fast as he's risen to be a top prospect. If he's going to fizzle, I'd rather it be in the minors, not the NHL.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,398
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pitts, saints11, SteelCityFan and 17 guests


e-mail