Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Speculation: Ryan Miller?

Postby count2infinity on Mon May 19, 2014 8:55 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
count2infinity wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
Still, I've lost all confidence in Fleury knowing that any moment, despite how well he plays for 55 minutes, he could implode and lose us a game.

every.single.goalie. is prone to lapses that can lose the game for a team. You notice Fleury's because you watch the Pens so often.

Hahaha because when I Google "Hiller beachball", this is the third image

Spoiler:

that has absolutely nothing to do with anything... seriously, are you even trying to do anything other than pull strawman arguments?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon May 19, 2014 8:56 pm

count2infinity wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
count2infinity wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
Still, I've lost all confidence in Fleury knowing that any moment, despite how well he plays for 55 minutes, he could implode and lose us a game.

every.single.goalie. is prone to lapses that can lose the game for a team. You notice Fleury's because you watch the Pens so often.

Hahaha because when I Google "Hiller beachball", this is the third image

Spoiler:

that has absolutely nothing to do with anything... seriously, are you even trying to do anything other than pull strawman arguments?

When was the last time you laughed? 1987?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby count2infinity on Mon May 19, 2014 8:57 pm

I laugh at posts that are jokes, not posters that are jokes.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon May 19, 2014 8:59 pm

count2infinity wrote:I laugh at posts that are jokes, not posters that are jokes.

=(
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon May 19, 2014 9:04 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
mikey287 wrote:So...make a move to unload Fleury, make another move to gain Hiller and not make the team any better? If we're making moves to just make moves, I got a few...

If we're trying to make tangible improvements to the team, I have a few more ideas...

Sign Hiller, let Fleury play out his contract and then use Hiller.

So...bring on more of the same, except without as high of a ceiling...? I'm just not sure what the upside is...I seriously doubt Hiller is even younger than Fleury...I know Fleury has been around forever, but Hiller played in Switzerland for a while before coming over...he might have been 26 or so by the time he came over...so, we're not getting younger, we're not getting higher upside, we're not getting better...but in the short term (next season), we'll have near $10 million locked up in goaltending...it just doesn't pass the sniff test in any way, shape or form...

If you're feeling frisky...you might as well see what Tristan Jarry has up his sleeve in two seasons...at least that involves no investment and is easily correctable if it fails...

Or see if you can pry one of these young goalies out of situations where there are multiple young goalies already in place...and see if you can catch lightning in a bottle with a relative unknown like Kristers Gudlevskis or Matt Hackett...at least there's upside and it's minimally invasive...I'd rather re-sign Fleury than bring in Hiller...the devil you know is better than the devil you don't in this case...

Hiller is like 3 years older I think but goalies age differently. Tim Thomas didn't hit his stride until he qualified for the senior citizens discount at Dunkin Donuts.

He started playing behind Claude Julien and Zdeno Chara. The other two decades of his career have been awful or laughable or not good enough for the NHL...he's not aging gracefully either...his work in the NHL and for the United States this year have been deplorable...

If you're going to try to use an exception to prove a rule, at least used someone like Johnny Bower, hell, even Jacques Plante after the age of 35 was excellent. He had a .940+ save pct. at the age of 41, IIRC...

Hiller really was never that good...so, I just don't get this age differently, and implosions, and all this noise...maybe someone can it explain it to me. In the mean time, why don't we investigate a new plan instead of just naming a current free agent that we've heard of...that's not really a plan...it's low hanging fruit and with limited knowledge of the goaltender that we're supposed to sign, it's just curious...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Mon May 19, 2014 10:57 pm

DelPen wrote:When is the buyout period, before or after July 1?

If it's after I could see being aggressive to get a guy they want for 5 or 6 years for $4-6 million and then buyout the last year of Fleury's contract.

Since it doesn't look like anyone answered your question, the buyout period starts at the earlier of June 15 or 2 days after the end of the Stanley Cup Finals and ends June 30. That's the risk in buyouts, especially goalies - if Fleury were bought out, he could end up being the best goalie on the market and the Pens aren't allowed to sign him at that point.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Mon May 19, 2014 11:02 pm

count2infinity wrote:If memory serves he played quite well in Buffalo toward the beginning of the season, clear up through getting traded. Heck, he even went from many thinking he wouldn't even be on the olympic roster to being the squad's back-up goalie. Anyone that can play well on Buffalo's team is a good goalie. I'm well aware of his post-season terribleness, but it's not like we haven't seen that in Pittsburgh before.

His numbers after being traded to a contender (St Louis)? 10-8-1 record with a 2.47 GAA and .903 SV%. This is the same team that Halak posted 24-9-4 record + 2.23 GAA + .917 SV% behind this season, not to mention an 18-6-2 record for Elliott with a 1.96 GAA and .922 SV%. And his playoffs were even worse posting a 2.70 GAA and .897 SV%.

There's no question that Miller is a great goalie, but all signs point to playing behind a terrible Buffalo team didn't actually make him look better.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Mon May 19, 2014 11:05 pm

mikey287 wrote:So...make a move to unload Fleury, make another move to gain Hiller and not make the team any better? If we're making moves to just make moves, I got a few...

If we're trying to make tangible improvements to the team, I have a few more ideas...

:thumb:

At this point in time, Hiller is a lateral move from Fleury at best. So it really is just making a move for the sake of making a move, especially since there's no guarantee he'll come any cheaper out of a weak free agent market.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby slappybrown on Mon May 19, 2014 11:16 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Why are we bringing in someone who lost his job in the playoffs? Fleury was decent this year. Hiller makes no sense.

Because Hiller, despite how replaceable he was, still had better numbers in this year's playoffs than "decent" Fleury.
edit: OK, maybe not "better" (fewer GAA but lower SV%)

I'm not even sure why I'm arguing this because there's a 2% chance they'll do what I want.

GAA is meaningless. Fleury's save% was meaningfully better than Hiller's this postseason.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Trip McNeely on Mon May 19, 2014 11:21 pm

The best thing about Jonas Hiller are his awesome masks...otherwise he is average to below average
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Tue May 20, 2014 2:39 am

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:why all the hate for Hiller? Hiller is a million $ cheaper (if you take his current contract) and has better career stats both in the regular season and playoffs than Fleury.

Plus you don't get the blooper reel goals you get with Fleury.

lol
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue May 20, 2014 7:12 am

tfrizz wrote:
count2infinity wrote:If memory serves he played quite well in Buffalo toward the beginning of the season, clear up through getting traded. Heck, he even went from many thinking he wouldn't even be on the olympic roster to being the squad's back-up goalie. Anyone that can play well on Buffalo's team is a good goalie. I'm well aware of his post-season terribleness, but it's not like we haven't seen that in Pittsburgh before.

His numbers after being traded to a contender (St Louis)? 10-8-1 record with a 2.47 GAA and .903 SV%. This is the same team that Halak posted 24-9-4 record + 2.23 GAA + .917 SV% behind this season, not to mention an 18-6-2 record for Elliott with a 1.96 GAA and .922 SV%. And his playoffs were even worse posting a 2.70 GAA and .897 SV%.

There's no question that Miller is a great goalie, but all signs point to playing behind a terrible Buffalo team didn't actually make him look better.

I had always been skeptical of a goalie needing a specific type of defense in front of them, but I really am starting to become a believer that you not only need to have defensemen that fit into your defensive strategy as well as a goalie that fits that strategy as well. Some goalies fit better in certain systems than others.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Tue May 20, 2014 7:57 am

Does Brodeur suck since he has a beach ball picture on the Interwebz?

Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Tue May 20, 2014 7:58 am

How about Lundqvist?

Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue May 20, 2014 10:43 am

tfrizz wrote:
DelPen wrote:When is the buyout period, before or after July 1?

If it's after I could see being aggressive to get a guy they want for 5 or 6 years for $4-6 million and then buyout the last year of Fleury's contract.

Since it doesn't look like anyone answered your question, the buyout period starts at the earlier of June 15 or 2 days after the end of the Stanley Cup Finals and ends June 30. That's the risk in buyouts, especially goalies - if Fleury were bought out, he could end up being the best goalie on the market and the Pens aren't allowed to sign him at that point.

So what the new GM will need to do is do a trade and sign for a pending UFA they might want and then trade or buyout Fleury if we want to make a big change.

But when the only real options are Miller, Hiller or Halak I'd pass. There are a lot of UFA's coming up in 2015 including Fluery: Schneider, Niemi, Anderson, Fasth, Ramo, Neuvirth,Bishop, Harding and Enroth

Not saying all of those are better than Fleury but some can be cheaper starters and probably have as many wins behind what this team should be.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Tue May 20, 2014 10:45 am

As much as I like Fleury, I would make a move for Cory Schneider.

However, no way New Jersey gives him up.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Tue May 20, 2014 11:21 am

Crankshaft wrote:As much as I like Fleury, I would make a move for Cory Schneider.

So, if you answered your own post, what was the point?

New Jersey just gave up a lot to get Schneider. Why would they even think to move him 1 season later?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Tue May 20, 2014 11:23 am

Pitts wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:As much as I like Fleury, I would make a move for Cory Schneider.

New Jersey just gave up a lot to get Schneider. Why would they even think to move him 1 season later?

Was responding to the person who brought up that he's a free agent after next year. That's all. Sorry to offend. ;)
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Tue May 20, 2014 11:38 am

Kovy27 wrote:Does Brodeur suck since he has a beach ball picture on the Interwebz?

Yes

Kovy27 wrote:How about Lundqvist?

No
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue May 20, 2014 11:39 am

Crankshaft wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Was responding to the person who brought up that he's a free agent after next year. That's all. Sorry to offend. ;)

Certainly no offense...I was just wondering the reason. I didn't see that he was mentioned in UFA. Sorry.

I'm sure NJ will lock him up this summer.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Tue May 20, 2014 11:49 am

No need to worry. Jarry will overtake Fleury next season...never ever give up one goal...and lead us to 10 straight stanley cup championships.
Spoiler:
At least that's what he'll have to do for half of LGP to not label him a bust or a "blooper reel" goalie.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Thu May 22, 2014 3:24 pm

Andi Petrillo ‏@andipHNIC 3m
The New York Islanders announced today that goaltender Jaroslav Halak has agreed to terms on a four-year contract.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu May 22, 2014 3:30 pm

tfrizz wrote:Andi Petrillo ‏@andipHNIC 3m
The New York Islanders announced today that goaltender Jaroslav Halak has agreed to terms on a four-year contract.

4 years, $18 million. Good move for the Islanders and a pretty damn good deal for them as well.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Thu May 22, 2014 3:32 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
tfrizz wrote:Andi Petrillo ‏@andipHNIC 3m

4 years, $18 million. Good move for the Islanders and a pretty damn good deal for them as well.

It's scary when the Islanders sign a reasonable contract.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu May 22, 2014 3:33 pm

I wouldn't mind if Fleury's next contract was similar to Halak's.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins