Pouliot out 4-6 months after shoulder surgery

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pouliot out 4-6 months after shoulder surgery

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 21, 2014 5:22 pm

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i ... t-penguins

Penguins prospect defenseman Derrick Pouliot underwent successful shoulder surgery today, it was announced by interim general manager Jason Botterill.

Pouliot had shoulder labral repair surgery performed by Dr. Dharmesh Vyas at UPMC. Recovery time is expected to be 4-6 months.

Pouliot was recently named the Western Hockey League's 'Defenseman of the Year' after helping the Portland Winterhawks advance to the WHL championship series. Pouliot led all WHL defensemen in the playoffs with 32 points (5G-27A) and he had a career-high 70 points (17G-53A) during the regular season.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Pouliot out 4-6 months after shoulder surgery

Postby relantel on Wed May 21, 2014 5:36 pm

Good that it was successful. Bad that he's out. But likely means one less decision right out of camp.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed May 21, 2014 5:48 pm

Bad luck recently with young guys and injuries.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Wed May 21, 2014 6:00 pm

Jfc. Guys getting hurt before they even make the team now. They need to find the Jonas and sacrifice him to appease the hockey gods.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed May 21, 2014 6:08 pm

This is not only a rehab. But probably another year after that where he recovers. Shoulder injuries are rough to recover from, probably even rougher for d-men. I'm not a doctor, but I do play one on a message board, and I think his first year of pro might be more disappointing than some will hope, but the year following you'll start to see him really come into his own.

It explains some of the things that I saw in the WHL playoffs at least...here's to a speedy recovery for DP...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed May 21, 2014 6:09 pm

Recovery from a torn labrum is awful.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 21, 2014 6:17 pm

The curse of Ray Shero begins
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed May 21, 2014 6:46 pm

Inb4 MCM mocks him.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bathgate on Wed May 21, 2014 6:52 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:The curse of Ray Shero begins

Actually, it's the Curse of the Penguins Franchise for 44 years in having the careers of an amazing number of stars or potential stars ruined or drastically shortened due to ridiculously unfortunate injuries and circumstances. To wit: Briere, Bianchin, Larouche, Edur, Faubert, Belanger, Lemieux, Jagr, Stojanov, Crosby.

The NHL career of Alek Stojanov, a first round pick acquired in a trade for Hall of Famer-to-be Marcus Naslund, was ruined by a shoulder injury from an auto accident. He was expected to become a Bob Probert type enforcer with scoring talent.

It would not surprise me in the least if we can ultimately add Pouliot's name to the list.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed May 21, 2014 6:55 pm

Jagr's career was shortened?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby mikey287 on Wed May 21, 2014 6:57 pm

Add Maatta to the shoulder surgery list. Hopefully not the list that Bathgate provided above...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed May 21, 2014 6:57 pm

Bob McKenzie just tweeted that Maatta is having shoulder surgery tomorrow!
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bathgate on Wed May 21, 2014 7:04 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Jagr's career was shortened?

I include his name on the list because his time with the Pens was shortened due to his ridiculous "dying alive" attitude and the unfortunate financial condition of the team at the time. Otherwise, we would have been privilaged to be able to watch an all time great hockey player play additional years for the Pens.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed May 21, 2014 7:23 pm

Both of them need to heal 110% coming back too soon won't be good for anyone. Even if it takes until Christmas. This is our future top pairing. I'd hate to see them rushed.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Wed May 21, 2014 10:04 pm

Recovering from a torn labrum is no joke. I had this done after a few dislocations about 3 years ago and I got to about maybe 90% after 6 months, but it has never gotten better than that. Range of motion and strength are never quite the same.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu May 22, 2014 8:29 am

This thread NEEDS healing vibes... paging Penny Lane!!!!
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Thu May 22, 2014 2:41 pm

Bathgate wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:The curse of Ray Shero begins

Actually, it's the Curse of the Penguins Franchise for 44 years in having the careers of an amazing number of stars or potential stars ruined or drastically shortened due to ridiculously unfortunate injuries and circumstances. To wit: Briere, Bianchin, Larouche, Edur, Faubert, Belanger, Lemieux, Jagr, Stojanov, Crosby.

The NHL career of Alek Stojanov, a first round pick acquired in a trade for Hall of Famer-to-be Marcus Naslund, was ruined by a shoulder injury from an auto accident. He was expected to become a Bob Probert type enforcer with scoring talent.

It would not surprise me in the least if we can ultimately add Pouliot's name to the list.

It's a shame the Pens are the only team ever to have players get hurt. No other franchise has had to deal with injuries.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Fri May 23, 2014 8:30 am

What is the next step in DPs career? I would assume at least a year in WBS? I remember watching him in a few games over the past year. Kid totally reminds me of Letang. Still seems very raw, espicially on the defensive end of the ice, looked terrible in the games i seen him in. Heard the same thing about Letang when he was comming through th ranks and under THerian he was becomming a very responcable player but Dan put a stop to that.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri May 23, 2014 9:14 am

no name wrote:What is the next step in DPs career? I would assume at least a year in WBS? I remember watching him in a few games over the past year. Kid totally reminds me of Letang. Still seems very raw, espicially on the defensive end of the ice, looked terrible in the games i seen him in. Heard the same thing about Letang when he was comming through th ranks and under THerian he was becomming a very responcable player but Dan put a stop to that.

I think it depends on Letang's future. If Letang is still here (which is the most likely scenario) DP goes to WBS to learn how to play defense. If Letang gets dealt, I think there is a very really possibility that DP makes the team, playing protected minutes on the bottom pairing and quarterbacking the power play (he would immediately be the Pens best PP QB since Gonchar).
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wondermoose on Sun May 25, 2014 4:19 pm

Didn't want to start another thread, but Pouliott was named the CHL Defenseman of the Year award yesterday. Woo!
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Tue May 27, 2014 1:20 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
no name wrote:What is the next step in DPs career? I would assume at least a year in WBS? I remember watching him in a few games over the past year. Kid totally reminds me of Letang. Still seems very raw, espicially on the defensive end of the ice, looked terrible in the games i seen him in. Heard the same thing about Letang when he was comming through th ranks and under THerian he was becomming a very responcable player but Dan put a stop to that.

I think it depends on Letang's future. If Letang is still here (which is the most likely scenario) DP goes to WBS to learn how to play defense. If Letang gets dealt, I think there is a very really possibility that DP makes the team, playing protected minutes on the bottom pairing and quarterbacking the power play (he would immediately be the Pens best PP QB since Gonchar).

With this shoulder injury severely hampering his ability to train in the off-season, he should start in the AHL regardless.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins