Next Year's Youth Movement Zlobin, Megna, Sheary, Gibbons

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Next Year's Youth Movement Zlobin, Megna, Sheary, Gibbons

Postby Penspal on Thu May 22, 2014 8:44 am

I've been following the WBS run through Jon Bombulies reports from WBS. I posted the link to it in the Pens Affiliates section.

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64213

I cannot see how the Pens cannot go younger next year, so I'm looking to start some discussion on what's in the WBS cupboard.

Offense

Zlobin doesn't look that great, but he somehow scores key goals, like the one he got last night to start a 5 goal run. I think he'll get some games in for the Pens next year. Maybe Malkin can take him in and get him ready for the NHL.

Megna snipped a nice one last night as well. His speed was great to see when he played with Pens this year. When he got the puck with speed, he kept it simple, chip it by the dman a little, swing wide, retrieve and get puck towards net. Megna's got a a ways to go before he's ready for top lines, but he fell into the evil HCDB rookie doghouse like Despres & Borts.

Gibbons is no stranger to us. I predicted he'd get killed in the playoffs and I was half right. He came back and made things happen. I fully expect he'll be a full time Penguin next year.

Sheary is still an unknown, but he's producing in tough playoff games for WBS. I think he's only under an AHL contract, so he might get snapped up elsewhere.

While I share in the uncertainty regarding top end young talent, I do hope that a couple of these guys pan out and see some quality NHL play next season.

Defense

Its been discussed to death, but I don't think the Pens have a choice but to bring up Despres and at least one other from WBS. I'd prefer a bigger body for a change, a guy who will clear the net. Not sure Doumolin is that guy, but he's due for an NHL look.

I've always liked what Harrington brings going back to his junior days. I'd flat out swap him for Scuds right now, with Harrington never having played an NHL game.

Samuelsson should see more time this year. How crazy would it be if his Dad was made coach and he was called up. It would be discussed as often as the Staal's are brothers.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Next Year's Youth Movement Zlobin, Megna, Sheary, Gibbon

Postby DelPen on Thu May 22, 2014 9:00 am

Samuelsson and Despres will both need to go through waivers next year, I expect both to be signed a bit closer to the minimum for 2 years each. Them and Bortuzzo will be the third pairing rotating. We would also get to see Harrington or Dumoulin start in Pittsburgh with Maatta possibly out to start the year.

Up front, Megna and Gibbons could very well be the 3rd line wingers which wouldn't be horrible if guys like Pouliot are going north of $3 million. I also want to see Payerl and Sill on the 4th line. Sill might have been better than Adams and Vitale in faceoffs and penalty killing last year when he was in the lineup. Payerl can skate well and cycled well too. Even if it's those two and Adams that's a good worst-case for a 4th line.

That leaves right now Bennett up to the 2nd line. Under a different coach we might get better effort out of this:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Megna-Sutter-Gibbons
Payerl-Sill-Adams

Letang-Martin
Scuderi-Maatta
Despres-Samulesson-Bortuzzo

That roster is good enough to win the metro again. Make upgrades at the deadline because we will have a ton of cap space to do whatever we want.

I'd have Zlobin get another year in WBS as the main guy on offense, rather bring him up when he's confident in being top 6 than waste development on the bottom 6.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby HockeyDaddy on Thu May 22, 2014 9:09 am

DelPen wrote:That leaves right now Bennett up to the 2nd line. Under a different coach we might get better effort out of this:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Megna-Sutter-Gibbons
Payerl-Sill-Adams

Letang-Martin
Scuderi-Maatta

Trade Neal for a different scoring winger and I like this.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Thu May 22, 2014 9:17 am

Payerl's not that great of a hockey player.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gabe on Thu May 22, 2014 9:22 am

No better place to put this link. Nice work Gibbons.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... um=twitter
Gabe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Thu May 22, 2014 9:22 am

I will be sad for Sutter if he has to be flanked by Gibons and Megna going into next year, after seeing what he could do with real line mates.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Thu May 22, 2014 9:29 am

Gabe wrote:No better place to put this link. Nice work Gibbons.

We need to find a spot for Gibbons next year, just not in the top 6.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu May 22, 2014 9:30 am

HockeyDaddy wrote:
DelPen wrote:That leaves right now Bennett up to the 2nd line. Under a different coach we might get better effort out of this:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Megna-Sutter-Gibbons
Payerl-Sill-Adams

Letang-Martin
Scuderi-Maatta

Trade Neal for a different scoring winger and I like this.

In a vacuum I don't necessarily disagree with each player, although not really sold on Payerl. Just can't see much happening with that lineup. The top two lines have little grit, and Bemnett has t shown much strength. The bottom 2 won't really pressure other teams or cycle much. That defense just looks scary with two relatively unknowns and Matta potentially out.

With this laid out like this I am even more convinced of a major trade or two, I don't see that line up being all that effective. Other than maybe the defense being better than expected IF Despres problems were with management and Samuelson steps up.
Last edited by BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu May 22, 2014 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Thu May 22, 2014 9:32 am

DelPen wrote:

14th forward
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Thu May 22, 2014 10:05 am

If you want 4th line grinders... they are NOT going to be very good hockey players, much less great ones. If they were, they would either not be 4th liners or they would be able to get more $ from another less top heavy team. If you want grinders then you are going to get grinders, not well rounded players that grind.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby largegarlic on Thu May 22, 2014 10:06 am

What's the deal with Conor Sheary? I know nothing about him, other than what Bombulie has said in his game recaps (pretty glowing reviews) and that he has 9 points in 9 playoff games. Does he actually have potential or is this a fluky, once-in-a-lifetime streak of productivity?
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Thu May 22, 2014 10:11 am

I liked Sill when he was up. I didn't really think much of Payerl, but I might have missed one of the few games he played in.

I think Gibbons has earned a place in the bottom-6, preferably on the 4th line. He works his butt off and is good on the PK. A 4th line with him and a couple bigger, more physical guys could be pretty good.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu May 22, 2014 10:18 am

Megna, Gibbons and Despres should be permanent fixtures in the line-up next year IMO. If Bylsma is still the coach I guess we'll see who was pulling the strings here on the call-ups.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu May 22, 2014 10:21 am

largegarlic wrote:What's the deal with Conor Sheary? I know nothing about him, other than what Bombulie has said in his game recaps (pretty glowing reviews) and that he has 9 points in 9 playoff games. Does he actually have potential or is this a fluky, once-in-a-lifetime streak of productivity?

Signed by WBS to a ATO and then an AHL deal for next season. Good scorer at the college level, though he was never a point-per-game player. Didn't make much progress from his junior to senior season, though in his defense UMass really sucked this season. Seems to be playing the best hockey of his life right now.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Thu May 22, 2014 10:45 am

DelPen wrote:Samuelsson and Despres will both need to go through waivers next year, I expect both to be signed a bit closer to the minimum for 2 years each.

Great starting point. There are numerous league rules that factor into how you settle your lineup. Can't risk losing guys on waivers who could be worth something.

Also like your point about going young early on, see what you got, then pick up near trade deadline some key guys (hopefully anyway).
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby owtahear on Thu May 22, 2014 10:53 am

DelPen wrote:Samuelsson and Despres will both need to go through waivers next year, I expect both to be signed a bit closer to the minimum for 2 years each. Them and Bortuzzo will be the third pairing rotating. We would also get to see Harrington or Dumoulin start in Pittsburgh with Maatta possibly out to start the year.

Up front, Megna and Gibbons could very well be the 3rd line wingers which wouldn't be horrible if guys like Pouliot are going north of $3 million. I also want to see Payerl and Sill on the 4th line. Sill might have been better than Adams and Vitale in faceoffs and penalty killing last year when he was in the lineup. Payerl can skate well and cycled well too. Even if it's those two and Adams that's a good worst-case for a 4th line.

That leaves right now Bennett up to the 2nd line. Under a different coach we might get better effort out of this:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Megna-Sutter-Gibbons
Payerl-Sill-Adams

Letang-Martin
Scuderi-Maatta

That roster is good enough to win the metro again. Make upgrades at the deadline because we will have a ton of cap space to do whatever we want.

I'd have Zlobin get another year in WBS as the main guy on offense, rather bring him up when he's confident in being top 6 than waste development on the bottom 6.

You're kidding, right? Ray Shero was essentially fired for this potential lineup.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Thu May 22, 2014 11:06 am

Crankshaft wrote:I will be sad for Sutter if he has to be flanked by Gibons and Megna going into next year, after seeing what he could do with real line mates.

Agree. That posted lineup looks no different than what we saw this year and I HOPE the Pens have plans for upgrading the bottom 6. Gibbons is nice storybook, but I want him nowhere near the NHL team next season. Please get some size, skill and NASTINESS in the bottom 6!!!!

It would also be nice if we did something up top that pushed Dupuis down to the 3rd line.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu May 22, 2014 11:07 am

sil wrote:
DelPen wrote:

14th forward

The farm always needs serviceable players.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu May 22, 2014 11:09 am

Injuries happen and Gibbons is a valuable 40-50 game plugin. He should be re-signed.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu May 22, 2014 11:15 am

Pitts wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:I will be sad for Sutter if he has to be flanked by Gibons and Megna going into next year, after seeing what he could do with real line mates.

Agree. That posted lineup looks no different than what we saw this year and I HOPE the Pens have plans for upgrading the bottom 6. Gibbons is nice storybook, but I want him nowhere near the NHL team next season. Please get some size, skill and NASTINESS in the bottom 6!!!!

It would also be nice if we did something up top that pushed Dupuis down to the 3rd line.

I think everyone underestimated how good Goc is. Goc had a rough transition with the Pens and was also played incorrectly. Goc was the 3rd line center on Florida and put up as good of numbers as Sutter. He was also plugged in to the top-six at times.

He was playing the fourth line here, got injured, didn't come back until late and was shuffled around. He never really had a chance to settle in, likely fully recover from the injury or fall into to any specific role here.

Goc will cost half the price and I personally believe would be equally as effective for the "three-headed monster" set-up.
Last edited by Hugo Stiglitz on Thu May 22, 2014 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu May 22, 2014 11:17 am

columbia wrote:Injuries happen and Gibbons is a valuable 40-50 game plugin. He should be re-signed.

I think people underestimate Gibbons' ceiling. I'm not saying he's a 30 or even a 20 goal scorer, but I really believe he could turn into a high-end third line player.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu May 22, 2014 11:32 am

Jim wrote:If you want 4th line grinders... they are NOT going to be very good hockey players, much less great ones. If they were, they would either not be 4th liners or they would be able to get more $ from another less top heavy team. If you want grinders then you are going to get grinders, not well rounded players that grind.

Sure, I don't think anyone disagrees. But teams have been able to put together functional depth. The lineup above, which isn't unreasonable based on the current situation, young d contract status and other factors basically puts out a bottom 5 that doesn't really work.

There is nothing there if you add in the lack of cycle players on the top lines that looks like we will be even marginally better.

The defense has some promise but really as listed 3 unknowns including Mattas shoulder. Our 8th and 9th then will probably be rookies.

Not impossible but can be frightening
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Thu May 22, 2014 11:52 am

I'm fine with Gibbons taking the Craig Adams spot on the roster, assuming he brings what he brought during the playoffs with his PK ability and speed. However, you need to load the rest of that line up with some thunder.

He should NOT be on the 3rd line (or above) on any consistent basis.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Thu May 22, 2014 12:02 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Jim wrote:If you want 4th line grinders... they are NOT going to be very good hockey players, much less great ones. If they were, they would either not be 4th liners or they would be able to get more $ from another less top heavy team. If you want grinders then you are going to get grinders, not well rounded players that grind.

Sure, I don't think anyone disagrees. But teams have been able to put together functional depth. The lineup above, which isn't unreasonable based on the current situation, young d contract status and other factors basically puts out a bottom 5 that doesn't really work.

There is nothing there if you add in the lack of cycle players on the top lines that looks like we will be even marginally better.

The defense has some promise but really as listed 3 unknowns including Mattas shoulder. Our 8th and 9th then will probably be rookies.

True, but there is also a big difference between being able to sign $950K-$1.2M players for your 4th line and having to go with $550K-$750K players on your 4th line...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu May 22, 2014 12:30 pm

Jim wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:

True, but there is also a big difference between being able to sign $950K-$1.2M players for your 4th line and having to go with $550K-$750K players on your 4th line...

I guess but isn't that a different discussion involving Shero and his replacement?

Better depth and a minor league system at forward allows for entry level deals in good young depth players. Adding in better overall contracts would allow for cap space and depth players at decent signings.

I think to your point it would be more: how the GM will blow this up and which higher contracts will be moved to fix what you are stating.

Don't see any new GM going with this lineup.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins