How confident are you about Shero's firing?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

On a scale of 1-10, how confident are you about Shero's firing?

10 - Best thing we could have done
4%
5%
5%
7 - Risky move but it was the right thing to do
12%
7%
5 - Not sure
17%
4 -
9%
3 - He deserved at least a couple more years
17%
5%
1 - Pens will miss him - he made some great trades and it was the players/coaching staff's fault that failed the last 5 years
17%

Total votes : 75

How confident are you about Shero's firing?

Postby ivand87 on Fri May 23, 2014 2:00 pm

I think a lot has been said about Shero regarding the team's poor drafting at the forward position over the last week or so since he got fired, but you have to also consider the great trades that he made... I trust that everyone here is not gonna forget about the Hossa trade, the Gary Roberts trade, Iginla, Neal/Niskanen, Kunitz for Whitney (!) and more...

I think time will tell but I'm curious to know how confident our most loyal LGPers feel about this move.

Go Pens!
Last edited by ivand87 on Fri May 23, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: How confident are you about Shero's firing?

Postby slappybrown on Fri May 23, 2014 2:00 pm

slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri May 23, 2014 2:04 pm

If I'm a GM I start taking the potato drafting strategy. Considering my relatively short shelf life and the results of potato drafting already shown it's a winning strategy. Then hopefully I can be a trade master.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri May 23, 2014 2:07 pm

6, though I was surprised it happened.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 23, 2014 2:08 pm

shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Fri May 23, 2014 2:12 pm

I said 2. I think if the question were about HCDB I might have said an 8.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GeoTank on Fri May 23, 2014 2:18 pm

:thumb: :thumb:

Two thumbs up,

ex-GMRS had full control over all aspects of the team, total last say in who got signed, released, traded or fired. He was not going to fire HCDB and not going to change his team to fit what Dan was doing, so something had to change.

Now if a new GM comes in and thinks he can tool a team to fit Dan then ownership might let Dan stay, more likely Dan becomes ex-HCDB and we move on.
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Fri May 23, 2014 2:33 pm

3. There's a case for it to be higher though based on some other information...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GeoTank on Fri May 23, 2014 2:34 pm

mikey287 wrote:3. There's a case for it to be higher though based on some other information...

.....and that information is???
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Fri May 23, 2014 2:34 pm

I think he was more skilled at compiling assets than building a team. I'm not necessarily sad to see him go.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Fri May 23, 2014 2:39 pm

Shero didn't just turn into a bad GM nor did Byslma turn into a bad coach. Both are top notch players in their respective fields. However, somewhere along the way the vision for the team got stale and they didn't adapt. A fresh start was needed.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby praxitas on Fri May 23, 2014 2:45 pm

Went with 4.

I would be more ok with this personally if there were better candidates available to choose from. Whether he's a walking hockey encyclopedia or not, when Pierre is one of your better options, the GM market is not in your favor....

As it stands now the best one available in my mind is the one we let go. I wasn't fond of our bottom 6 to start the season, but at the same point, with the cap being heavily reduces it really hurt us being able to fill out a roster that would have been more desirable. I think his hands were tied and had to make some tough decisions that didn't pan out well.

Yes, Scuds was a mistake in hindsight and that cap money could have helped out the back six, but what GM hasn't given out a contract they wish they could take back?

Hope 66 knows what he's doing!
praxitas
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri May 23, 2014 2:53 pm

Meh, everything runs its course in sports. GM's and coaches have a short shelf life as it is. Bylsma and Shero had a vision and a system and it was not the right one. It was not the right mix of players. They had a potential dynastic opportunity and failed. I blame that more on Bylsma and his dipsy doodling assistants than I do on Shero; but the Scuderi contract with so many D prospects, coupled with a shockingly bad bottom 6, was the final nail in the coffin.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wondermoose on Fri May 23, 2014 3:04 pm

The fact that Shero walked into a job that already had a world-class foundation makes me more upset about the last 5 years. He had to find players capable of backing up the stars and coach's that would develop talent in house so they didn't have to rely on free agency. He failed on both accounts quite sufficiently. Still a great guy and did a lot of good for the organization, but he had to go.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Fri May 23, 2014 3:05 pm

I said 4 - as good as Shero was at trade deals getting us player for a playoff push, he lacked at the draft and his signings made you scratch your head, not about the quality of player he'd sign, but the lenght term and no trade clause. His free agent signings were ok.

But most of all his loyalty to Dan B had to be the worst down fall he had. He should of been gone last season but held onto him. I am sure players voinced their opinion about him during the season or maybe i am wrong. But he should of seen if there was something missing in the locker room. And i think it was his loyalty to Dan that got him fired.

I thought he did do a good job hear in Pittsburgh, but in a few years when we are dealing with a aging Dupuis and Scuderi who are still under contract then we might feel different about those signings.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pugilist13 on Fri May 23, 2014 3:29 pm

Poor drafting, bad signings, joined at the hip to Disco. Very good at the deadline. With all that said he would run rings around the next schlub they bring in here.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Fri May 23, 2014 3:32 pm

wondermoose wrote:The fact that Shero walked into a job that already had a world-class foundation makes me more upset about the last 5 years. He had to find players capable of backing up the stars and coach's that would develop talent in house so they didn't have to rely on free agency. He failed on both accounts quite sufficiently. Still a great guy and did a lot of good for the organization, but he had to go.

You could say something similar about HCDB...Hard to say for sure if HCDB had made personnel choices regarding who was called up, but he certainly determines who dresses and how minutes get distributed.

I gave it a 2... I feel like part of the problem was player development, not solely his draft choices or his ability to pick up prospects. We've done a terrible job of getting those guys to take a role with the big club, and even when we do have guys that show some promise right away, they rarely saw the ice. All the guys that have come and gone from this team have been successful before and after they've left. HCDB certainly 'tinkered' with the 1st and 2nd lines a great deal more than he made adjustments to the 3rd and 4th lines. When Sutter had some professional help with Stempniak, he was lights out.

My prediction is that GMRS goes someone and builds another cup contender. I'm really hoping its not on the eastern end of the state. Very real possibility.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri May 23, 2014 3:48 pm

praxitas voiced where I'm coming from. I just hope we don't regret it. I don't know who else is out there right now who could be better; if you don't have a better guy IDed and ready for hire, then you probably already have the best guy available. I think Shero could've done good things with the increasing cap.

Whatever happens, we'll always have the night of the Great Iginla Heist. Thanks for that.

So, Shero attempted to right a wrong by resigning Scuderi 4 years after letting him go. So far it hasn't worked, but maybe a different coach will make that look better going forward. But why wasn't Shero allowed to right a wrong only 1 year later by firing DB? Why wasn't he just charged with improving scouting, drafting, and player development? Why wasn't he brought in by Lemieux and Burkle and told, Ray, we need a new direction, and we're going to give you a chance to lead it. Here's what we want: younger, faster, grittier, characterier, chippier, hammier, whatever?

There's something about this whole thing that, to me, reminds me of the warning about "throwing the baby out with the bath water." I disagree that we need a major overhaul; rather, strategic, surgical changes are in order. But I'm kept from the ledge by the fact that Lemieux and Burkle aren't stupid men, nor have they shown themselves to be knee-jerk reactors. It's going to look regrettable or genius.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri May 23, 2014 3:53 pm

GeoTank wrote:
mikey287 wrote:3. There's a case for it to be higher though based on some other information...

.....and that information is???

Yes, and higher toward 1 or toward 10?
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri May 23, 2014 3:54 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
wondermoose wrote:The fact that Shero walked into a job that already had a world-class foundation makes me more upset about the last 5 years. He had to find players capable of backing up the stars and coach's that would develop talent in house so they didn't have to rely on free agency. He failed on both accounts quite sufficiently. Still a great guy and did a lot of good for the organization, but he had to go.

You could say something similar about HCDB...Hard to say for sure if HCDB had made personnel choices regarding who was called up, but he certainly determines who dresses and how minutes get distributed.

I gave it a 2... I feel like part of the problem was player development, not solely his draft choices or his ability to pick up prospects. We've done a terrible job of getting those guys to take a role with the big club, and even when we do have guys that show some promise right away, they rarely saw the ice. All the guys that have come and gone from this team have been successful before and after they've left. HCDB certainly 'tinkered' with the 1st and 2nd lines a great deal more than he made adjustments to the 3rd and 4th lines. When Sutter had some professional help with Stempniak, he was lights out.

My prediction is that GMRS goes someone and builds another cup contender. I'm really hoping its not on the eastern end of the state. Very real possibility.

Good news is that PHI just promoted Hextall, so I doubt they'll throw him over for Shero, even though Shero has a very soft spot for the Flyers organization.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tico Rick on Fri May 23, 2014 4:07 pm

I share Lt. Dish's (and others') doubts, but I think it's important to consider that this wasn't a decision made in just a few days when the Pens saw a 3-1 lead against the Rangers dissipate into disaster. It was a yearlong decision. My theory is that Mario and Burkle wanted to can DB after last year's disaster, but RS wouldn't do it. Since RS's contract states that he has final say on all hockey-related decisions, the owners very, very reluctantly acquiesced, if only because they think so highly of Shero. The alternative at the time would have been to fire both. But when RS decided to stand by Bylsma, he dug his own grave. I think he knew this, too. While most of us were shocked that RS was fired, the rumor beforehand was that RS had told his wife that if the Pens lost Game 7 she should be prepared to pack her bags. But it was never just about losing Game 7. It was about Shero's contract and Shero sticking to what he believed was the right thing to do - keep Bylsma - despite ownership's misgivings. You can be sure that any new GM won't have that same clause in his contract. And it's not that the owners want to start meddling in hockey decisions, but they do want the ability to override decisions. After all, Mario does know a fair amount about hockey.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Fri May 23, 2014 4:17 pm

7. I thought it needed to be done. It's risky, but the right move.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Fri May 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Good news is that PHI just promoted Hextall, so I doubt they'll throw him over for Shero, even though Shero has a very soft spot for the Flyers organization.

Not GM... Flyers have a very thin front office, and could add him as VP of Hockey Operations with ease.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Kaizer on Fri May 23, 2014 4:22 pm

Hes gone anyway
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri May 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Not GM... Flyers have a very thin front office, and could add him as VP of Hockey Operations with ease.

Thanks. I see. Sorry about that.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins