How confident are you about Shero's firing?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

On a scale of 1-10, how confident are you about Shero's firing?

10 - Best thing we could have done
4%
5%
5%
7 - Risky move but it was the right thing to do
12%
7%
5 - Not sure
17%
4 -
9%
3 - He deserved at least a couple more years
17%
5%
1 - Pens will miss him - he made some great trades and it was the players/coaching staff's fault that failed the last 5 years
17%

Total votes : 75

Re: How confident are you about Shero's firing?

Postby Scott on Fri May 23, 2014 5:32 pm

I believe they fired the wrong guy. There might be a bigger plan here in order to get rid of the right guy that we may not know of....for example

in the crazy world of lawyers and contracts is it possible that shero had a contract that prohibited anyone other than he firing the head coach. Add in the fact that Pens would be on the hook for some $$$ by getting rid of bylsma right now, who knows.

IMO though the wrong guy got the axe. He came up with some damn nice players rentals or otherwise in the last 5 years only to have those players used improperly. Iginla did not come here to seldom get ice time with Crosby. That told me that crosby probably told Dan he was perfectly happy with kunitz and dupuis as his linemates. Or Dan is really that out of touch with his players. Either way if he lets crosby or other star players ( because we know he has no problem sticking his chest out to a Despres or Bennett etc etc) dictate that type of thing or just is too ignorant and or stubborn or arrogant,,,you get the picture.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MarioLives on Fri May 23, 2014 5:33 pm

Let's be honest, have the Pens ever been known for their drafting and development of players? Not really, if it not a top, clear pick it rarely works out. Shero being fired was a huge mistake and will come back to haunt them.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DayWalker on Fri May 23, 2014 6:52 pm

Ray Shero's drafts were poor, his trades have proven to be overrated (outside of the deals for Hossa/Dupuis and Guerin), and his rosters were built only for success in the regular season. Shero failed time and again to adequately address the top-four winger situation for the games that matter in the playoffs, culminating in Sidney Crosby managing one goal in his last 18 games and the franchise's second blown 3-1 lead in four playoff tournaments.

The Penguins have become the San Jose Sharks of the Eastern Conference. Shero had to go.

My only misgivings revolve around the other options available, but Shero's failed roster-construction for games that matter--not games against Florida in November or Edmonton in February--makes this a fairly easy decision.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Fri May 23, 2014 7:34 pm

I keep saying "confident?" Like Regis Philbin on Millionaire.

Anyhooha, I'm iffy on the RS move. I think he stuck to a sound draft / trade strategy based on the Pens stars and cap competitiveness. I think it was an approach that excited the fans and players for the most part, but ultimately didn't produce the expected and desired multi Cups in a short timeframe.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_srq on Fri May 23, 2014 7:59 pm

6. If Ray Shero failed, it was in his keeping DB this year. Also, he allowed the media to get out of control and didn't have the player's backs concerning incidents on the ice. This makes me okay with letting him go. However, I don't feel that you should ever fire a GM or a coach without having pretty solid plans A, B, and C. I don't see their plan. Maybe they have one, but it's not yet clear, to anyone outside of the organization, what it is they plan to do. I do believe that a lot of internal information about who was making personnel calls might make this a lot easier call, but I have no idea about any of that.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri May 23, 2014 8:13 pm

This is actually one of the first polls in PR I've appreciated. The wide array of options actually lets you really get the pulse of LGP.

That being said, the board definitely tends to be leaning towards they should have kept him. I'm with Slappy in the "5" camp...I honestly am not sure and don't know what to think right now. It's kind of amazing how Shero could be arguably the best dealer while simultaneously being the worst drafter in the league.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_srq on Fri May 23, 2014 8:19 pm

MarioLives wrote:Let's be honest, have the Pens ever been known for their drafting and development of players? Not really, if it not a top, clear pick it rarely works out. Shero being fired was a huge mistake and will come back to haunt them.

A few years ago I was looking into the value of all of the NHL franchises. One of the statistics was how much is spent on player development, including scouting. Detroit was spending a huge amount of money on infrastructure. The Pens were no where near the biggest spenders in terms of how much they paid for souts. Maybe someone can point to stats on this somewhere?

We don't know what the directive was from upper management regarding the scouts. It seems with the Pens over the years it has been a place to stash old FOM, which may have tied Shero's hands a bit.

I also wanted to mention something else I discovered. The value of the Pittsburgh Penguins has doubled in the last 3 years. Shero apparently wasn't bad for business. I wonder what it is this year. http://www.forbes.com/2010/11/30/leafs-rangers-canadiens-business-sports-hockey-most-valuable-teams-hockey-valuations-10_slide_10.html http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Fri May 23, 2014 8:49 pm

pens_srq wrote:
MarioLives wrote:Let's be honest, have the Pens ever been known for their drafting and development of players? Not really, if it not a top, clear pick it rarely works out. Shero being fired was a huge mistake and will come back to haunt them.

A few years ago I was looking into the value of all of the NHL franchises. One of the statistics was how much is spent on player development, including scouting. Detroit was spending a huge amount of money on infrastructure. The Pens were no where near the biggest spenders in terms of how much they paid for souts. Maybe someone can point to stats on this somewhere?

We don't know what the directive was from upper management regarding the scouts. It seems with the Pens over the years it has been a place to stash old FOM, which may have tied Shero's hands a bit.

I also wanted to mention something else I discovered. The value of the Pittsburgh Penguins has doubled in the last 3 years. Shero apparently wasn't bad for business. I wonder what it is this year. http://www.forbes.com/2010/11/30/leafs-rangers-canadiens-business-sports-hockey-most-valuable-teams-hockey-valuations-10_slide_10.html http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/.

The valuation has nothing to do with Shero. It has to do with a new arena and having the only person approaching a crossover star in Crosby and one of the best players in the league in Malkin.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 100565 on Sat May 24, 2014 12:03 am

10- shero was grossly overrated as a GM in the salary cap era. The only way to always contend for the cup is to build from within. You won't hit all draft picks, so you get as many picks as you can to improve your chances of hits. Talbot, Kennedy, And Letestu are all later round draft picks, and salary cap dictates that you need those players making an impact. You play them on there ETC, and resign them to a 2-4 year second contract. These players can be tremendous value contracts...outplaying the dollar amount. Instead of stock piling draft picks, Shero trade them away. If it wasn't for Staal forcing his hand with a trade, the amount of penguins draft picks would have been low over the past five years...maybe a league low. Just stupid management of a salary cap league.

His deadline trades depleted the team of draft picks while not producing any cups. You only trade at the deadline if you are certain it will help your team win a cup. If you are not certain, do not make any deadline trades. Period. Deadline trades are not mandatory; something Shero never learned.

He has very little understanding of contract value. Even if Kunitz, Dupuis, and Scuderi play at there highest levels, they would not be great value. If on the other hand, they begin to show there age, they would be poor value. I like all three of those players, but with salary cap The GM needs players outperforming their contracts. This situation most likely happens on ETC and second contracts.build from within.

I understand coaching wasn't great, but Shero did very little positive over the past five years. He did make a couple good (nondeadline) trades, but excluding Crosby ( and malkin ) none of the peguins currently signed players have contracts of good to great value. Even Crosby, Malkin, and Neal contracts I would say are just good value.

Postby JeanPronovost on Sat May 24, 2014 12:34 am

6- I was totally in favor of letting him go because of the terrible contract signings and Blysma extension of a year ago. I wanted to see a deeper reworking of the roster, and I had no confidence in Shero (and certainly not Blysma) as the ones to do it. But now I worry that the new GM will be some golf crony of Mario's, the new coach will be Eddie Johnston and there won't be any restructure of the roster to speak of. In that case we'll be worse off. So I have cold feet on my earlier opinion.
JeanPronovost
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins