Yohe - meh...Orpik news

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Yohe - meh...Orpik news

Postby Kovy27 on Thu May 29, 2014 8:37 am

penny lane wrote:In the minority, but I want Brooks back. It would have to be a reduce salary, 3 years , with the last 2 reduced.
2 years with option for 3, with a no move contract.
His teammates respect him and he is a leader. With new GM- and maybe the turmoil of keeping blysma, you need Brooks.

He can't make more than north of 2 mill...
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu May 29, 2014 8:37 am

Jim wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
DelPen wrote:Rather have Orpik than Scuderi but certaibly not both. And Niskanen over both of them.

I don't want Scuderi either. I'm hoping the Pens can find a taker for him.

Outside of a desperate trade deadline team, maybe due to injuries, Scuderi is a Penguin for life.

I'm still holding out hope that the Islanders would take him if Scuderi is willing to go there.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu May 29, 2014 8:39 am

Since Niskanen is all but gone, I would be happy to see Orpik back.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby dodint on Thu May 29, 2014 9:06 am

I like the part where it says Orpik is seeking a long term deal. How long there, buddy?
dodint
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby llipgh2 on Thu May 29, 2014 9:15 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Jim wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
DelPen wrote:Rather have Orpik than Scuderi but certaibly not both. And Niskanen over both of them.

Outside of a desperate trade deadline team, maybe due to injuries, Scuderi is a Penguin for life.

I'm still holding out hope that the Islanders would take him if Scuderi is willing to go there.

Isn't he originally from Brooklyn? I know he is from NY and his family are firefighters/cops. Wasn't sure what boro.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu May 29, 2014 9:23 am

llipgh2 wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
Jim wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:

Isn't he originally from Brooklyn? I know he is from NY and his family are firefighters/cops. Wasn't sure what boro.

He's from Syosset which is in Nassau County. From what I remember after his signing last summer, his decision came down to the Pens and Islanders. He choose a chance at another cup over the opportunity to go home. I hope this summer he decides he would rather be at home.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Thu May 29, 2014 9:36 am

dodint wrote:I like the part where it says Orpik is seeking a long term deal. How long there, buddy?

I'm pretty sure he would like to retire as a Penguin.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Thu May 29, 2014 10:22 am

He can. Right now.
dodint
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Thu May 29, 2014 12:24 pm

1 year, 3 million for orpik. i think we still need a placeholder.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Arlow on Thu May 29, 2014 12:35 pm

llipgh2 wrote:

Arlow
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu May 29, 2014 1:06 pm

Pitts wrote:
dodint wrote:I like the part where it says Orpik is seeking a long term deal. How long there, buddy?

I'm pretty sure he would like to retire as a Penguin.

I'd like him to, also, but who knows if that can happen.

No reason for fans to laugh at him. Of course he and his agent want a long-term deal! It's pretty tough to find a professional athlete who doesn't. I'm not sure I've ever heard athlete publicly express doubt about how much they have left in the tank.

I imagine he would be OK with a short-term deal, and I would, too, depending on his rehab/training progress, the price/cap hit, and the projected role. I agree with penny re: stability in the transition.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Postby dodint on Thu May 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Just glancing at the article, which could just be fluff: he wants a long term deal, says he'll be ready to resume full training in a few weeks, and says he isn't looking at Pittsburgh exclusively. Sounds like a guy posturing for a less-than-minimum twilight contract either here or elsewhere.

For the record, I'd like to have him around for 2 years at a discount, as a 3rd or 4th pair leadership guy. But to do that Brooks has to accept the role, and so does the coach/management which as demonstrated by the Scuderi/Adams treatment is difficult for this organization.
dodint
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu May 29, 2014 1:19 pm

Lots of chatter about Orpik to Toronto on teh interwebz. Any substance or is it typical interwebz shenanigans?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu May 29, 2014 1:26 pm

I do not want Brooks. Like Scuds, every day they get another day older and slower. Next.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu May 29, 2014 1:27 pm

If he retires this summer I am fine with him retiring as a Penguin. Other than that, I'd like to see him sign with the Caps, Flyers or Rangers. That way our guys can skate around him like the traffic cone that he is. I would also love to see him check guys on top of Lundqvist and see Lundqvist's reaction.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meow on Thu May 29, 2014 1:36 pm

I don't understand the dislike of Orpik around here. We aren't talking about Andrew, are we?
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu May 29, 2014 1:45 pm

meow wrote:I don't understand the dislike of Orpik around here. We aren't talking about Andrew, are we?

I like Orpik and the leadership he brings. But his tank is nearly empty. He did not play well this year, though some of that is Bylsma's idiotic system that exposes any defenseman who can't make a good first pass (see Scuderi, Michalek). Maybe with a new coach he might look better.

But the fact is, in the cap era, you just cannot hang onto guys at the end of their careers. And that rings especially true when a team is up against the cap. You have to continually infuse with youth, and that means jettisoning guys like Orpik maybe a year or two early.

I see no way he will be a Penguin next season.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Thu May 29, 2014 1:58 pm

meow wrote:I don't understand the dislike of Orpik around here. We aren't talking about Andrew, are we?

My dislike for Orpik is legend... wait for it... dary!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu May 29, 2014 2:02 pm

To expand on Mad City Mike's point. It was clear to most fans and Lemieux and Burkle that this team was best defensively when Martin-Letang-Orpik-and Scuds were out this past year. That is a king's ransom in salaries for guys that were not showing to be superior defensively to the guys we were bringing up from WB/S. Stop living in the pa$t.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu May 29, 2014 2:08 pm

Pens cannot afford Orpik, especially when you have a stable full of young talented dmen. I do recognize that none of them bring what Orpik does from a shot blocking or hitting department, but all of them cost 1/2 of what Orpik will ask, and all will be considerably younger.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu May 29, 2014 2:35 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:To expand on Mad City Mike's point. It was clear to most fans and Lemieux and Burkle that this team was best defensively when Martin-Letang-Orpik-and Scuds were out this past year. That is a king's ransom in salaries for guys that were not showing to be superior defensively to the guys we were bringing up from WB/S. Stop living in the pa$t.

I don't see this as the point.

The debate involves how much hockey the guy has left in him, whether there's a role (leadership or otherwise) for him on the team to help with the kids, and whether or not the price could be low enough. No one's trying to relive The 2008 Shift vs. Detroit in perpetual loop. Also, no one who considers a role for him advocates paying him top-pair money for 6 years.

Consider that the Kings have Mitchell (3.5M, UFA) and Regehr (3M) to support their D-men 25 and younger. Granted, they could afford 6.5M to those old guys because of they have no one except for Kopitar and Doughty hitting > 6M and no one > 7M.

Fans also can't turn the team completely over to Sid, Geno, and WBS and then be concerned later when there isn't a respected elder statesman (other than the C and As) in the room.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Postby Pitt87 on Thu May 29, 2014 2:44 pm

shmenguin wrote:1 year, 3 million for orpik. i think we still need a placeholder.

The last thing we need at the blue line is a placeholder, and I think its a not particularly respectful to a guy that's given you his best years to give him a one-year deal at 33. Could be his last shot at a 3-5 year deal.

Happy trails...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Staggy on Thu May 29, 2014 2:50 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:To expand on Mad City Mike's point. It was clear to most fans and Lemieux and Burkle that this team was best defensively when Martin-Letang-Orpik-and Scuds were out this past year. That is a king's ransom in salaries for guys that were not showing to be superior defensively to the guys we were bringing up from WB/S. Stop living in the pa$t.

Wait, when the hell was it clear that we were better without Martin and Letang? Those two weeks in December when our forwards decided they should probably try to play some defense to protect the AHLers in our lineup?

What I saw without Martin and Letang was a defense with nobody that could make a 10 feet breakout pass or skate their way out of trouble. This led to us getting pinned in our zone for minutes at a time, and in the long run would lead to us losing a lot of games.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu May 29, 2014 3:17 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:1 year, 3 million for orpik. i think we still need a placeholder.

The last thing we need at the blue line is a placeholder, and I think its a not particularly respectful to a guy that's given you his best years to give him a one-year deal at 33. Could be his last shot at a 3-5 year deal.

Happy trails...

we're losing niskanen, and i'd prefer we ditch scuderi. in this scenario, i think we need more of a veteran presence in next year's D lineup.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu May 29, 2014 4:07 pm

Staggy wrote:

Wait, when the hell was it clear that we were better without Martin and Letang? Those two weeks in December when our forwards decided they should probably try to play some defense to protect the AHLers in our lineup?

What I saw without Martin and Letang was a defense with nobody that could make a 10 feet breakout pass or skate their way out of trouble. This led to us getting pinned in our zone for minutes at a time, and in the long run would lead to us losing a lot of games.

ask and you shall receive:
Burkle: We had more grit and character when we had all our kids up. Remember that?
DK: I do. I covered that game in December up at the Garden where almost half the roster was up from Wilkes-Barre. One of the most disciplined games you had all season.
Burkle: It’s funny, but we felt like had a lack of that earlier in the year, even though we were winning. But that group performed with even more grit and character.
DK: Well, they listened, too? It was a bunch of Zach Sill and Phillip Samuelsson, but they all did what they were supposed to do.
Lemieux: Phil played well. A lot of them did.
DK: Is this roster too old?
Burkle: That’s part of what we’re talking about right now with the younger guys. You can look at the draft and say what we did or didn’t do, but we’ve got forwards and D-men who we have drafted and didn’t always take advantage of them or done a lot with them. So we have ended up with an older team. When we do see our younger guys, we see a lot more energy, a lot more of what we’d like to see in our game. So maybe those guys at the Garden were playing a little bit ahead of their ability. They made up with their energy.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins