New Head Coach: Mike Johnston.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: New Head Coach: Mike Johnston.

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:58 am

Jim wrote:Certain people faltered under DB and certain people flourished. How do people think that is going to change under MJ? Will anyone explode offensively or anyone that was producing before fall apart?

I personally don't care if anyone explodes under MJ. What I'm looking for is players knowing their roles and filling them. Under Therrien and Bylsma (early in his tenure), this was the case. As Bylsma grew more comfortable as coach, this area kind of fell apart.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby offsides on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:00 pm

How can Travis Green not want to coach the Pens? Isn't that every coach's dream job? I've seen this fish before.
Last edited by offsides on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:01 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Biggest thing for me has been with both Johnstons and Rutherford's hiring PC's, both had no problems with, you know, the opinions of others. Both know not everything they think is right and they're happy to have people to bounce ideas off of. Even with the analytics, I think someone here mentioned that MJ said he was never into it, but he likes having an analytics guy now because it provides a prospective that you can't really see from the bench. We're definitely not just going to keep doing the same things over and over until they work because we're the Penguins and what we do is right. Very happy to hear that stuff

:thumb: Very much agree. It's hard enough to win in regular playoff game conditions. Bylsma's one-dimensional thinking really handicapped the team. I'm thinking of Boston's sweep of the Pens in 2013 ECF. The Pens swept the Bruins during the regular season (remember that?) and picked up some additional players that should have made them nearly unstoppable. But Claude Julien figured out what the Pens were going to do (it was pretty obvious) and defended against that. And since the Pens (Bylsma) refused to try anything else, the series was over the minute the Bruins solved Bylsma's one-dimensional attack scheme.

It doesn't sound as if MJ is locked into his own thinking. Again, very different and very promising for this team.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:06 pm

offsides wrote:How can Travis Green not want to coach the Pens? Isn't that every coach's dream job? I've seen this fish before.

Worst part is now everyone in the league will know that the assistant coach they do hire will be their second, if not their third, choice. Disastrous.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Grunthy on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:08 pm

Who gives a **** that green didn't want the job. Guess what... coaches turn down offers all the time... Jesus you people are sensitive.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:10 pm

Grunthy wrote:Who gives a **** that green didn't want the job. Guess what... coaches turn down offers all the time... Jesus you people are sensitive.

I don't think you understand sarcasm.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Grunthy on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:12 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Grunthy wrote:Who gives a **** that green didn't want the job. Guess what... coaches turn down offers all the time... Jesus you people are sensitive.

I don't think you understand sarcasm.

Most people on this board aren't being sarcastic.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins