New Head Coach: Mike Johnston.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: New Head Coach: Mike Johnston.

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:37 am

big thing i took away from the tocchet interview was short shifts. Hopefully that means no more 2 min pp shifts for geno and sid.
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slipshod on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:00 am

Some good infor from a Portland based Pens fan from over on Reddit /r/penguins (not me)

http://www.reddit.com/r/penguins/comments/292n2h/clearing_up_a_few_things_about_mike_johnston/

>>
Hi all. Longtime Portland resident here, Pens fan, Winterhawks fan. I noticed there's been a lot of weird information floating around this sub prior to the press conference. I understand that--your news has come from Rossi or from scattered people who haven't watched a lot of WHL hockey. That said, here are a couple of things to remember or learn:
MJ isn't just a career WHL coach. He spent almost a decade as an assistant coach with the Canucks and the Kings before coming to Portland.
As the GM and coach, he built the Winterhawks from the ground up. I'm not kidding--the year before he arrived, our record was 11-58. His second year, it was 44-25. The four years after that were four trips to the WHL Final.
The suspension is GM stuff. Not to be cavalier, but I'm not sure it matters. Like MJ said, it happened early on in his WHL career.
The idea that MJ is just a player's coach. Not actually true--he's a strong Xs and Os guy. He's actually co-authored a fantastic hockey strategy book that I own, probably the best out there. It's got amazing diagrams of all the various break-out choices etc. When he talked in the press conference today about the options wingers will have, that's what he means. And if you want to know more about his system, really understand what exactly puck possession means for him, that's a good place to start.
He's willing to participate in objective looks at players. He touched on the W'hawks use of analytics as a way to get over the hump of the 'eyeball test.' I like this, and I think it's a departure from Bylsma, who I believe saw the statistics but never really put them into action. He's on board with getting an effective bottom-6, and Rutherford is going to help.
He has a strong focus on two things (though not to the exclusion of other things, obviously): clean breakouts (zone exits) and effective zone entries (carrying the puck in). He will have defensemen make the stretch pass if it's available, but if it isn't they'll try to carry the puck in or otherwise adjust. That's a difference from Bylsma. Defensemen who can handle the puck well (in Portland, it was Derrick Pouliot) are encouraged to go the last few feet to carry the puck into the zone if they're pretty much already there. The risk of a carry-in is balanced out by the high reward of getting twice as many shots/twice as many goals by using that strategy.
If you have any questions about his time in Portland, I'd be happy to offer my thoughts or link to media coverage/articles.<<

I like what I'm hearing.
slipshod
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:01 am

PensHckyFan79 wrote:big thing i took away from the tocchet interview was short shifts. Hopefully that means no more 2 min pp shifts for geno and sid.

In related news, power plays are about to be cut from 2 minutes to 1 minute.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:28 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Mapquest still exists?

Eh? Hold on while I turn up the volume on my hearing aid...
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Next candidate: Mike Johnston.

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:34 am

GeoTank wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:FPWHHCNPPHCMJ

Former
Portland
Winter
Hawk
Head
Coach
Now
Pittsburgh
Penguin
Head
Coach
Mike
Johnston

:face: :thumbdown:

Congratulations, but shouldn't this have been on the puzzle page? :lol:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:34 am

sil wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but is this true?

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2014/6 ... pittsburgh

Edit: Wow, it is. Tocchet actually drove home 5 hours to Mt Lebanon after every Flyers game? Good lord man

My parents house is exactly 600-ft from the PA turnpike. All this time I could've gone over there on any Flyer home game day, walked to the turnpike, waited for him, and then flagged him down for an autograph.

Spoiler:
Because that's what sane people do, right?

Didn't Eddie O live in Chicago when he was doing Pens games?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:36 am

Just read that Johnston said he's looking to bring Travis Green in as an assistant.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:37 am

Travis Green - FORT?
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:38 am

columbia wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:To me it looks like the type of crew where it wont be very fun building a realty tv series around thus I like it on that alone. I can't picture the Pens Twitter feed using 15 smiley emojis when they talk about these guys

I hope Tocchet eats the social media department for lunch tomorrow.

This! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Yes, I hope so, too.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:51 am

slipshod wrote:Some good infor from a Portland based Pens fan from over on Reddit /r/penguins (not me)

http://www.reddit.com/r/penguins/comments/292n2h/clearing_up_a_few_things_about_mike_johnston/

>>
Hi all. Longtime Portland resident here, Pens fan, Winterhawks fan. I noticed there's been a lot of weird information floating around this sub prior to the press conference. I understand that--your news has come from Rossi or from scattered people who haven't watched a lot of WHL hockey. That said, here are a couple of things to remember or learn:
MJ isn't just a career WHL coach. He spent almost a decade as an assistant coach with the Canucks and the Kings before coming to Portland.
As the GM and coach, he built the Winterhawks from the ground up. I'm not kidding--the year before he arrived, our record was 11-58. His second year, it was 44-25. The four years after that were four trips to the WHL Final.
The suspension is GM stuff. Not to be cavalier, but I'm not sure it matters. Like MJ said, it happened early on in his WHL career.
The idea that MJ is just a player's coach. Not actually true--he's a strong Xs and Os guy. He's actually co-authored a fantastic hockey strategy book that I own, probably the best out there. It's got amazing diagrams of all the various break-out choices etc. When he talked in the press conference today about the options wingers will have, that's what he means. And if you want to know more about his system, really understand what exactly puck possession means for him, that's a good place to start.
He's willing to participate in objective looks at players. He touched on the W'hawks use of analytics as a way to get over the hump of the 'eyeball test.' I like this, and I think it's a departure from Bylsma, who I believe saw the statistics but never really put them into action. He's on board with getting an effective bottom-6, and Rutherford is going to help.
He has a strong focus on two things (though not to the exclusion of other things, obviously): clean breakouts (zone exits) and effective zone entries (carrying the puck in). He will have defensemen make the stretch pass if it's available, but if it isn't they'll try to carry the puck in or otherwise adjust. That's a difference from Bylsma. Defensemen who can handle the puck well (in Portland, it was Derrick Pouliot) are encouraged to go the last few feet to carry the puck into the zone if they're pretty much already there. The risk of a carry-in is balanced out by the high reward of getting twice as many shots/twice as many goals by using that strategy.
If you have any questions about his time in Portland, I'd be happy to offer my thoughts or link to media coverage/articles.<<

I like what I'm hearing.

I am very encouraged after reading this. Very. :thumb:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:53 am

As this all resolves out, I can't believe just how pleased I am with everything. Everyone is saying the right words and all that, but more than anything, just knowing that Burkle and Lemieux were not blind and saw all of the things the fans saw clearly in front of them that Shero and Dan were completely blind to.

I can root for this team. I like this team more now than I have in the past several years.

Now...let's get rid of some of these dead wood players!
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:57 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:Now...let's get rid of some of these dead wood players!

Spoiler:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby count2infinity on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:03 am

How long until the "Fire Johnston" thread? I'm going to set the over/under at January.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:07 am

count2infinity wrote:How long until the "Fire Johnston" thread? I'm going to set the over/under at January.

Some LGP comedian will probably post it after the first loss of the season.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Three Stars on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:18 am

I keep thinking of Around The World by the Red Hot Chili Peppers when I see our new coach's name.

"Bonafide ride
Step aside Mike Johnston
Yes I could
In the woods of Wisconsin"
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:45 am

IntangibleBeer wrote:
slipshod wrote:Some good infor from a Portland based Pens fan from over on Reddit /r/penguins (not me)

>>

I like what I'm hearing.

Very much so. :thumb:
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:50 am

Heard Tocchet on Madden yesterday talk about counteracting teams that like to collapse low in the defensive zone by activating the defense and using a four man cycle to open up more options in the offensive zone. Definitely nice to hear some outside the box thinking in regard to strategy.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:06 am

slappybrown wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:

>>

I like what I'm hearing.

Very much so. :thumb:

Very informative, thanks for posting SS! :thumb:
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:11 am

Crankshaft wrote:
count2infinity wrote:How long until the "Fire Johnston" thread? I'm going to set the over/under at January.

Some LGP comedian will probably post it after the first loss of the season.

I already have a post saved titled "Is the bloom off of Johnston's rose?" :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:04 pm

The first time we see the lines constructed... it will be over for some of us. ; )
I do feel sorry that coach M Johnston's first official capacity will take play in Philadelphia.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:11 pm

Paul Steigerwald just said, on John Steigerwald's show, that Pierre Mcguire had told him that his first choice would have been Johnston.

He also said that Johnston wasn't in the first round of candidates because they thought he was taking the Vancouver job.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GeoTank on Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:24 pm

I really think GMJR was being a "nice" guy and not interviewing him as well...

Also i feel when he said during this process he learned a lot about some people i think he was refering to the Canes poaching Peters and Vancuver swooping with the late night phone call prior to us interviewing Willie. I feel he thinks he was wronged by these teams/GM's and he's pissed.

All's well that ends well. Stick it too them during FA.
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:28 pm

Dont expect Penguins to be flyin around on MJ notes from the start,they will need time to adjust. I dont care in MJ first season and especially first months,we wont be among top 5 teams in the league. Im hoping to see the best of Pens in march and april. Also I dont expect SC in first season. Give him a break for a while..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:29 pm

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:He also said that Johnston wasn't in the first round of candidates because they thought he was taking the Vancouver job.

Dejan said this on the radio yesterday, and he said he knew it for a fact, that Rutherford, as a point of courtesy to the Canucks, did not want to be talking with Johnston while he was negotiating with the Canucks.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
Chirpin' Grinder wrote:He also said that Johnston wasn't in the first round of candidates because they thought he was taking the Vancouver job.

Dejan said this on the radio yesterday, and he said he knew it for a fact, that Rutherford, as a point of courtesy to the Canucks, did not want to be talking with Johnston while he was negotiating with the Canucks.

:thumb: :thumb:

I will be enjoying a nice, large lunch of crow regarding a few of my Rutherford rants during the process.

I am glad they didn't get Willy, would have preferred Ulf, but I am really happy with the hire.

Can't wait to see this team in camp! :twisted:
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins