Sid Interview with Lebrun

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Sid Interview with Lebrun

Postby joker10277 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:22 pm

joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Sid Interview with Lebrun

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:49 pm

Sid-bot execute program TWOSM-87.

Sid-Bot searching...

Sid-bot executing talk without saying much...
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:13 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Sid-bot execute program TWOSM-87.

Sid-Bot searching...

Sid-bot executing talk without saying much...

Seriously, there's nothing even remotely interesting in the article. That being said, I wish the reporters would stop asking him softball questions and expect something revolutionary from him.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby rgj on Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:55 am

I'm waiting for a "reporter" to ask the questions that since he has choked the past several playoff series, has he identified what his "game" is lacking and what he has planned to do about "elevating" his so-called game?
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:26 am

rgj wrote:I'm waiting for a "reporter" to ask the questions that since he has choked the past several playoff series, has he identified what his "game" is lacking and what he has planned to do about "elevating" his so-called game?

I settle for even asking it nicely
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:43 am

From the outside looking in, we asked Crosby, this looked like Penguins team this past season that lost its identity, that didn't know what it wanted to be. Crosby thought about that question for a moment before answering it.

"I think as far as finding that identity, and don't get me wrong I think in the regular season it's important to have success and we've proven that, but we have to find a way in the playoffs to elevate our game," said Crosby. "It doesn't mean change our identity, but we have to elevate it. We haven't done quite as good a job at doing that. Me personally, I'm not taking myself out of that mix either, going pointless against Boston (in the 2013 conference finals) and not really doing a whole lot in the New York series, it's not easy to deal with that in the off-season. You don't like having memories like that.

Good luck to Sid in Vegas-at the awards.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:43 am

SidBot 8.5(!) is in fine, post-season form.

Thanks for posting, but there wasn't much new there.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Three Stars on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:49 am

I'd really like to know what "elevating our identity" is.

Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:43 am

Maybe he is referring to elevating the postseason suck from suck to f....fluffy bunny time of year.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:54 am

I don't see this interview anything more than what we'd expect to hear out of Sid and I don't mean that as insult. What else would anyone expect him to say?

He covered the basics:
- They didn't play at a high enough level
- They need figure out how to do that again
- That he needed to play better
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:10 am

Isn't Sid enough of a veteran by this point to not have to "learn from having a bad playoff"? pretty sure the best player in the world should always be at the top of his game come playoff time...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:19 am

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:I don't see this interview anything more than what we'd expect to hear out of Sid and I don't mean that as insult. What else would anyone expect him to say?

He covered the basics:
- They didn't play at a high enough level
- They need figure out how to do that again
- That he needed to play better

Yea, basically;
-We didn't get to our game
-We need to get to our game
-I didn't, but need to, get to my game

One thing he did say that was a positive sign was his recognition that they needed to play a grittier style and learn how to win games 2-1 in the regular season :thumb:
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:26 am

KG wrote:Isn't Sid enough of a veteran by this point to not have to "learn from having a bad playoff"? pretty sure the best player in the world should always be at the top of his game come playoff time...

you can't always be at your peak. but there's no way he shouldn't have been as lousy as he was.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:29 am

Might be the most empty interview ever, but not really surprising at all.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slipshod on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:31 am

Maybe... just maybe... a coach that actually tries to match lines will help Sid out a little bit. Maybe... if they ever hire one.
slipshod
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby toby91_ca on Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:47 am

KG wrote:Isn't Sid enough of a veteran by this point to not have to "learn from having a bad playoff"? pretty sure the best player in the world should always be at the top of his game come playoff time...

No, there will always be times to learn. I think playoff success came very early and expectations are very high as they always are with this guy, but he's still only 26, going on 27, still lots to learn. He's definitely got some experience now, but lots to still learn and improve.

Steve Yzerman was 32 before he got his first cup. He was only out of the 2nd round twice by the time he was 30. Part of that is due to poor teams very early on in his career, but later on, it had a lot to do with needing to learn from prior failures...him and the team.
toby91_ca
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:49 am

toby91_ca wrote:

No, there will always be times to learn. I think playoff success came very early and expectations are very high as they always are with this guy, but he's still only 26, going on 27, still lots to learn. He's definitely got some experience now, but lots to still learn and improve.

Steve Yzerman was 32 before he got his first cup. He was only out of the 2nd round twice by the time he was 30. Part of that is due to poor teams very early on in his career, but later on, it had a lot to do with needing to learn from prior failures...him and the team.

Later on it also had to do with having an absolute boat load of talent all around him throughout the whole lineup.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:57 am

Its sad how it seems like people treat Crosby as this untouchable robot. You realize he is human right? He can make mistakes just like anyone else. So what he didnt play that well big deal. There are so many factors to consider (his first full year in awhile, linemates not playing well, coaching issues etc). He even said it, they get too comfortable playing how they do during the season and when the playoffs start they dont grind teams down enough. Thats not ALL on him, a lot of the players did not play a grinding game besides a few and some players cant do but its a bit annoying to see how much flak he takes for it all.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TrueNorth on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:04 pm

There will never be a meeting of the minds when it comes to Sid. When you don’t like someone--and there are a number of people on this board who clearly don’t like Sid--the focus almost always shifts to blaming and faultfinding. Positives are overlooked, extenuating circumstances (physical, mental, emotional, personal) that might explain behaviour are deemed irrelevant, and the benefit of the doubt is thrown out the window. And once these negative perceptions have taken hold and become firmly entrenched they are extremely difficult, if not impossible, to reverse. In short, those who like Sid and appreciate him will cut him some slack, will recognize that he isn’t a machine but a fallible human being; those who don’t won’t.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:35 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bh on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:47 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:Its sad how it seems like people treat Crosby as this untouchable robot. You realize he is human right? He can make mistakes just like anyone else. So what he didnt play that well big deal. There are so many factors to consider (his first full year in awhile, linemates not playing well, coaching issues etc). He even said it, they get too comfortable playing how they do during the season and when the playoffs start they dont grind teams down enough. Thats not ALL on him, a lot of the players did not play a grinding game besides a few and some players cant do but its a bit annoying to see how much flak he takes for it all.
He is human, but he is also the face of the team. He is also our super star and the captain of the team. When we lose, when we're up 3-1 in the series, rightly or wrongly he's going to take the most criticism. More is expected out of Sid than any other player on the team and that's why he makes more money than the other guys. Sure there are a lot of factors to consider, but when the chips are down and we need a goal... that is Sid's time to shine. Those are the moments that make legends out of players. Sid went the other way this year. He looked putrid. I love Sid on the team and hope and wish nothing but the best for the guy but to act like we can't or shouldn't criticize him when he plays below standard is ridiculous.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TrueNorth on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:53 pm

I don’t think anyone is saying that Sid is above criticism. I think people are reacting to the notion that he should always be able to rise to the occasion and carry the day, no matter what. Such an expectation is beyond unreasonable; it’s unrealizable. And the fact that he is a superstar, the face of the team, the captain, the highest paid player on the team doesn’t change that. Expectations of him are high, as well they should be. But those expectations must be within the realm of possibility.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bdevido on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:57 pm

sid has never really said anything interesting his entire career. you would think the so called "face of the nhl" would be a bit more vocal, at least on occasion. its like he has a teleprompter up for every interview and just reads from it like the teacher in ferris bueller.
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:57 pm

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect him to score more than 1 goal in 13 playoff games.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:07 pm

TrueNorth wrote:In short, those who like Sid and appreciate him will cut him some slack, will recognize that he isn’t a machine but a fallible human being; those who don’t won’t.

i like sid. i appreciate sid. he was terrible this in this year's playoffs to the extent that he doesn't really deserve to be cut much slack as a hockey player. as a human, sure. he was dealing with some mental issue, i imagine. if i knew him in real life, i'd give him a hug or something. but as a fan, things are different.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins