Sid Interview with Lebrun

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Sid Interview with Lebrun

Postby TrueNorth on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:15 pm

columbia wrote:I don't think it's unrealistic to expect him to score more than 1 goal in 13 playoff games.

It isn’t. That expectation is entirely within the realm of possibility--and even probability, based on his previous playoff performances. The very fact that his performance was such a radical departure from what one could reasonably expect from him is what makes me believe that something very significant was going on, something that seriously compromised his ability to perform up to his usual standard.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby TrueNorth on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:21 pm

shmenguin wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:In short, those who like Sid and appreciate him will cut him some slack, will recognize that he isn’t a machine but a fallible human being; those who don’t won’t.

i like sid. i appreciate sid. he was terrible this in this year's playoffs to the extent that he doesn't really deserve to be cut much slack as a hockey player. as a human, sure. he was dealing with some mental issue, i imagine. if i knew him in real life, i'd give him a hug or something. but as a fan, things are different.

I guess that’s where we differ, Shmenguin. I can’t separate the hockey player from the human being. How a person performs on the job is very much influenced by what is going on in their life, so before I call for a public flogging, I want to make sure there aren’t extenuating circumstances or mitigating factors that might call for a less extreme response.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby rgj on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:31 pm

Just off the top of my head, I can think of 87 million reasons Sid is deserving of any and all criticism for his playoff flops. Champions rise to the occasions. Have a great time with that "trophy," Mr. Sid.
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:31 pm

TrueNorth wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:In short, those who like Sid and appreciate him will cut him some slack, will recognize that he isn’t a machine but a fallible human being; those who don’t won’t.

i like sid. i appreciate sid. he was terrible this in this year's playoffs to the extent that he doesn't really deserve to be cut much slack as a hockey player. as a human, sure. he was dealing with some mental issue, i imagine. if i knew him in real life, i'd give him a hug or something. but as a fan, things are different.

I guess that’s where we differ, Shmenguin. I can’t separate the hockey player from the human being. How a person performs on the job is very much influenced by what is going on in their life, so before I call for a public flogging, I want to make sure there aren’t extenuating circumstances or mitigating factors that might call for a less extreme response.

i understand this. but you'd have to extend this courtesy to every player. maybe carcillo had a couple of a holes as parents, and it influenced him to become a total psychopath. it's a slippery slope to evaluate who does and doesn't deserve X degree of criticism because of personal challenges. if sid is feeling personally vulnerable to the extent that it could turn him into what we saw this year, maybe he should consider redoing his contract to reflect that. but that's not realistic, so sid the player needs to except these consequences, even if it hurts sid the person's feelings.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Desiato on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:33 am

shmenguin wrote:i like sid. i appreciate sid. he was terrible this in this year's playoffs to the extent that he doesn't really deserve to be cut much slack as a hockey player. as a human, sure. he was dealing with some mental issue, i imagine. if i knew him in real life, i'd give him a hug or something. but as a fan, things are different.

Wow. This is very telling. As a fan, you're *less* supportive? That makes no sense.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:47 am

Desiato wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i like sid. i appreciate sid. he was terrible this in this year's playoffs to the extent that he doesn't really deserve to be cut much slack as a hockey player. as a human, sure. he was dealing with some mental issue, i imagine. if i knew him in real life, i'd give him a hug or something. but as a fan, things are different.

Wow. This is very telling. As a fan, you're *less* supportive? That makes no sense.

In the abstract, it's perfectly rational.

I wish Craig Adams all the best as a human being, but I don't want to see him as a Penguin.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:54 am

I read this article posted but honestly I don't even bother reading player interviews any more. Aren't they all just the same? All the post game interviews and such, nothing ever insightful and it's just boring. All I ever hear anymore is "get to our game". It's a bunch of variations of that.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:50 am

Desiato wrote:

then i imagine you face several confusing moments on a daily basis.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Desiato on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:36 am

Sidney Crosby is already a Penguins legend. His career could end today and it's one of the best ever. If you are a rational fan of this team, you show him appreciation for what he's done and give him to benefit of the doubt because none of us know what happened.

If you're a Pens fan with beef with Sid, chances are you have a pretty significant personality disorder. That's not intended to be insulting. I am 100% serious. It's so far beyond reason.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:52 pm

I just want one reporter one time to ask him why he quit in the playoffs if he wasn't hurt. Just for the lulz.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:38 pm

When he speaks of "elevating our identity", he is talking about the collective operating at a higher vibrational frequency. It is only at these higher frequencies that humans, and hockey players, can influence their destiny.

It's all there for those who know.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bdevido on Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:04 am

as someone above noted: he covered the basics. in fact, that is all he has done his entire career as far as interviews go and its time to grow up and be a vocal leader. i mean seriously, what could it hurt to say something to fire up the team once in awhile? this team needs a real attitude adjustment from top to bottom. i talked to a guy from new york last week and he said, "something is majorly wrong with your team." he couldn't be more right. and 87 and 71 aren't getting any younger.
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RJW76 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:16 am

bdevido wrote:as someone above noted: he covered the basics. in fact, that is all he has done his entire career as far as interviews go and its time to grow up and be a vocal leader. i mean seriously, what could it hurt to say something to fire up the team once in awhile? this team needs a real attitude adjustment from top to bottom. i talked to a guy from new york last week and he said, "something is majorly wrong with your team." he couldn't be more right. and 87 and 71 aren't getting any younger.

oh, well, I mean NEW YORK!!!
RJW76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:25 am

Athletes don't owe us anything more than your typical cliche answers. Sorry, players don't have to have media personalities to please fans.

As far as I'm concerned I don't need to watch one single interview from anybody to enjoy sports.

The same questions have been asked since 1980 and athletes aren't responsible for generating different answers to the same dumb questions.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:31 am

Malkamaniac wrote:I just want one reporter one time to ask him why he quit in the playoffs if he wasn't hurt. Just for the lulz.

And you're a fan of the Penguins?
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Odd Man Rush on Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:12 pm

Trust me on this one, Crosby is intentionally boring and the fact that he is so vanilla is a CLEAR sign to me just how bright a guy he truly is. I have seen this film 1,000 times before and everyone pisses and moans when the best player is bland and noncommittal. Then, at some point, the star decides to pop off about something and all of those same people complaining about his blandness will IMMEDIATELY turn around and say, "Why doesn't he STFU? Who the hell does he think he is?"

If I've seen that scenario play out once, I've seen it a thousand times and it never fails. Crosby should be Switzerland about just about everything and save his true personality for his teammates, friends and family.
Odd Man Rush
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:19 pm

I think Sid was taught to stay grounded and that is his make up. Sids Dad raised him to be a star and be humble. Its just who he is. He will never change, nor infront of his teammates.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:31 pm

Who are the stars that open their mouth and get hated? The people that hate them have an excuse to complain and the people that like them like them more.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:46 pm

Most Maritime province kids are like this...Crosby being essentially a professional player (in terms of how he was handled and coached to handle the spotlight) since he was 14 is a help certainly...but that's just the nature of Newfies and the like...pretty quiet kids generally speaking, at least based on the sample of players in the NHL...tfrizz? It's a lot of "average" names, thanks to being Irish or English descendants and a lot of "average" personalities...levelheaded, realist, reserved bordering on reticent...not to paint a group of people with such a broad brush, but that's kind of the deal in the Maritimes...

Of course, other stereotypes for Newfies exist...but those aren't too different than Polish jokes...I can't totally speak for that...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:44 pm

new interview: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i ... b-penguins. no substance really, but there is this:

Kari Birchard · Mercyhurst North East
Sindey Crosby is mine he is the same age as me he wil be my boyfriend someday love you Sindey

Also, apparently he originally hurt his wrist in March against St. Louis.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby toby91_ca on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:23 pm

mikey287 wrote:Most Maritime province kids are like this...Crosby being essentially a professional player (in terms of how he was handled and coached to handle the spotlight) since he was 14 is a help certainly...but that's just the nature of Newfies and the like...pretty quiet kids generally speaking, at least based on the sample of players in the NHL...tfrizz? It's a lot of "average" names, thanks to being Irish or English descendants and a lot of "average" personalities...levelheaded, realist, reserved bordering on reticent...not to paint a group of people with such a broad brush, but that's kind of the deal in the Maritimes...

Of course, other stereotypes for Newfies exist...but those aren't too different than Polish jokes...I can't totally speak for that...

Having grown up in Nova Scotia and the majority of my family still there (I have lived in Toronto the past 15 years), I felt I needed to ask about your reference to Newfies? The reason I ask is because when I tell people where I'm from, they tend to bring up Newfoundland as well. I actually have only been to Newfoundland once in my life and it was 5 years after I moved from Nova Scotia. Newfoundland isn't even part of the Maritimes and is not as close to Nova Scotia as most people think.

To put it into perspective, Pittsburgh is closer to St. Louis and Atlanta than Halifax, NS is to St. John's, NF. Halifax to St. John's is about the same distance as Pittsburgh to Maine or to Minneapolis.
toby91_ca
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:44 pm

Off topic, but here's a trivia question for everyone: which is shorter, the distance from Bermuda to Nova Scotia or the distance from Bermuda to Charleston, South Carolina?

Answer:
Spoiler:
the distance from Bermuda to Nova Scotia

Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Dan H on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:38 pm

toby91_ca wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Most Maritime province kids are like this...Crosby being essentially a professional player (in terms of how he was handled and coached to handle the spotlight) since he was 14 is a help certainly...but that's just the nature of Newfies and the like...pretty quiet kids generally speaking, at least based on the sample of players in the NHL...tfrizz? It's a lot of "average" names, thanks to being Irish or English descendants and a lot of "average" personalities...levelheaded, realist, reserved bordering on reticent...not to paint a group of people with such a broad brush, but that's kind of the deal in the Maritimes...

Having grown up in Nova Scotia and the majority of my family still there (I have lived in Toronto the past 15 years), I felt I needed to ask about your reference to Newfies? The reason I ask is because when I tell people where I'm from, they tend to bring up Newfoundland as well. I actually have only been to Newfoundland once in my life and it was 5 years after I moved from Nova Scotia. Newfoundland isn't even part of the Maritimes and is not as close to Nova Scotia as most people think.

To put it into perspective, Pittsburgh is closer to St. Louis and Atlanta than Halifax, NS is to St. John's, NF. Halifax to St. John's is about the same distance as Pittsburgh to Maine or to Minneapolis.

So, like, you're saying, like, that Canada is, like, big, or somethin'?
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:19 pm

toby91_ca wrote:

I was just referencing Atlantic Canada in general, so I put the term "Newfie" in there - as it's the most recognizable term (even if pejorative I suppose) out of Atlantic Canada...from Newfoundland or the surrounding provinces, in my experience, this population of people carries a lot of similar traits...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:20 pm

Tico Rick wrote:Off topic, but here's a trivia question for everyone: which is shorter, the distance from Bermuda to Nova Scotia or the distance from Bermuda to Charleston, South Carolina?

Answer:
Spoiler:
the distance from Bermuda to Nova Scotia

:slug:
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins