Up to Date Lineup

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Up to Date Lineup

Postby bwyant32 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:26 am

Something for us to keep tabs on as signings and moves come in over the next couple weeks. This lineup is no way projecting what they will be but to give us a realistic idea of the roster heading into the year. This is also assuming Bennett is ready for opening night:

Kunitz | Crosby | Dupuis
XXXX | Malkin | Hornqvist
Bennett | Sutter | XXXX
Megna | Spaling | Adams

XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX

Despres | Letang
Martin | Bortuzzo
Scuderi | XXXX

Dumoulin

Fleury
Zatkoff

Good idea. Just some minor housekeeping stuff. Just for handedness purposes. Let's put Scuderi or Despres with Letang. Letang should be on the right side. Bortuzzo can only play RD also.

Injuries

Pouliot
Maattaa
Last edited by bwyant32 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
bwyant32
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Up to Date Lineup

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:29 am

bwyant32 wrote:Something for us to keep tabs on as signings and moves come in over the next couple weeks. This lineup is no way projecting what they will be but to give us a realistic idea of the roster heading into the year. This is also assuming Bennett is ready for opening night:

Kunitz | Crosby | Dupuis
XXXX | Malkin | Hornqvist
Bennett | Sutter | XXXX
Megna | Sutter | Adams

XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX

Letang | Martin
Scuderi | XXXX
Bortuzzo | Despres

Dumoulin

Fleury
Zatkoff

Injuries

Pouliot
Maattaa

Wow, we cloned Sutter? that is amazing
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby bwyant32 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:31 am

Fixed, my fault.
bwyant32
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:32 am

Good idea. Just some minor housekeeping stuff. Just for handedness purposes. Let's put Scuderi or Despres with Letang. Letang should be on the right side. Bortuzzo can only play RD also.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:33 am

Isn't Bennett also on LTIR?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:40 am

Also, Bennett should go back to playing RW. Hopefully, HCMJ doesn't have the same proclivity to play guys on their off-wing.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:40 am

What about samulesson, i believe he can't go up and down on waivers this year so he might be with the big club more so than dumlion
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:40 am

mikey287 wrote:Good idea. Just some minor housekeeping stuff. Just for handedness purposes. Let's put Scuderi or Despres with Letang. Letang should be on the right side. Bortuzzo can only play RD also.

Mikey, do you see Despres as a potential long-term partner with Letang?

I love the possibilities with that pairing.

I know you are not a Bortuzzo fan, to be kind, but if Martin sticks around, I could see the two of them forming an effective tandem.

Or do you go Martin/Scuderi and put Bortz with one of the kids?
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:42 am

Bortuzzo's ceiling is bottom pairing and more likely ends up as a fringe 6/7. Despres projects more like a minutes eating top 4 guy. I don't think that pairing makes sense.

EDIT: Or were you saying Martin/Bortuzzo? In that case, same thing. MInutes eater/bottom pair guy
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:42 am

You know what is great about this lineup,

NO JAMES NEAL

HAHAHA
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bwyant32 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:50 am

darkstar57 wrote:What about samulesson, i believe he can't go up and down on waivers this year so he might be with the big club more so than dumlion

I think Samulesson is an in-season depth guy. I like his play, I just don't see him cracking the opening day roster.
bwyant32
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:52 am

bwyant32 wrote:
darkstar57 wrote:What about samulesson, i believe he can't go up and down on waivers this year so he might be with the big club more so than dumlion

I think Samulesson is an in-season depth guy. I like his play, I just don't see him cracking the opening day roster.

He is no longer waiver exempt (or whatever the term is) if we put him in the minor we can only call him up if its an emergency.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:59 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Bortuzzo's ceiling is bottom pairing and more likely ends up as a fringe 6/7. Despres projects more like a minutes eating top 4 guy. I don't think that pairing makes sense.

EDIT: Or were you saying Martin/Bortuzzo? In that case, same thing. MInutes eater/bottom pair guy

Ideally, yea Bortuzzo is a bottom pairing guy. The problem is that they don't have a #4 to play the right side on the second pairing, as it now stands. The choice is basically Scuderi, who is barely an NHL'er or Bortz.

At least Bortz adds physicality to offset Martin's soffness around the cage.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:17 am

I would love to upgrade the bottom six by acquiring two top 6 forwards and popping Dupuis with Sutter and Spaling. I don't see that happening though.

Another year of Kunitz/Crosby/Dupuis??
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:17 am

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Good idea. Just some minor housekeeping stuff. Just for handedness purposes. Let's put Scuderi or Despres with Letang. Letang should be on the right side. Bortuzzo can only play RD also.

Mikey, do you see Despres as a potential long-term partner with Letang?

I love the possibilities with that pairing.

I know you are not a Bortuzzo fan, to be kind, but if Martin sticks around, I could see the two of them forming an effective tandem.

Or do you go Martin/Scuderi and put Bortz with one of the kids?

I could see Despres and Letang working. I believe they worked pretty well in the past. Letang felt some responsibility to not hang his young, fellow Francophone out to dry. And Despres could play more within himself because he was not counted on to do as much with the puck and he could focus elsewhere. They can cover a lot of ground with mobility. I think it's worth a strong look. I also believe that Despres has 2/3 upside. Which is not easy to pluck out of me.

No sense dragging Martin down by playing him with Bortuzzo. We must take advantage of the comfort level that Martin has playing his off-side. LHS d-man being comfortable at RD without being a liability defensively (quite the opposite actually) is a luxury in this league. It shouldn't be wasted. Playing him with Bortuzzo moves Martin back to the left. That said, Martin has done his best work with physical defensive defensemen in the past (Salvador, Orpik). But I believe he was on the right side both of those times. Martin playing with Bortuzzo also means that Bortuzzo is playing more than 15 minutes per night, which will turn sour quickly.

Ideally, Bortuzzo is a #7, not a #3/4. His upside is no better than a #6. Anything beyond that, and we're asking for serious trouble. Bortuzzo would be best paired on the right side with a guy like Harrington on the left. Because as much as Bortuzzo is a defensive player, someone still has to constantly cover for his mistakes. So it's not like he could "babysit" a Pouliot or something, he's just not smart enough. So, we have to have someone babysit a defensive defender. It's not an enviable situation. It's unpopular now (just like it was unpopular in the height of Engelland's fame "the sky is the limit" re: potential is still probably my all-time favorite quote here), but I wouldn't lose a second of sleep if Bortuzzo was waived after tc/preseason this year...it would be on merit or it wouldn't happen. But I don't think that's an outlandish scenario given the talent we have.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:20 am

Who can play their off side effectively? Definitely martin, anyone else?I seem to remember dumoulin playing some right d
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pugilist13 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:23 am

He should be. At this stage in their careers he's a better Dman.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:36 am

Unless Dumoulin grew a lot since last time he was up, I hope he's not in the picture.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:53 am

Mr. Colby wrote:

Who can play their off side effectively? Definitely martin, anyone else?I seem to remember dumoulin playing some right d

Effectively is the key. I have not seen it anyone overly effective at it other than Martin. Tough to do.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:54 am

pretty sure we are not paying spaling 1.5-2mil a year to play on the 4th line
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:04 am

darkstar57 wrote:
bwyant32 wrote:

He is no longer waiver exempt (or whatever the term is) if we put him in the minor we can only call him up if its an emergency.

I get the feeling the Pens don't see him as highly as some of the others. Many assume because he is out of options he would be on the opening night roster (myself included), but in the past 2 weeks, I've seen two quotes from Rutherford and one from Botterill about young defensemen getting a shot, and it is always Despres, Dumoulin, and Harrington that they name, never Samuelsson. I think Samuelsson projects to only be a bottom pairing defenseman, and would serve as an in-season call-up if needed, while the Pens feel Despres, Dumoulin, and Harrington (and when healthy, Pouliot) all have more upside.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:08 am

FLPensFan wrote:
darkstar57 wrote:
bwyant32 wrote:

I get the feeling the Pens don't see him as highly as some of the others. Many assume because he is out of options he would be on the opening night roster (myself included), but in the past 2 weeks, I've seen two quotes from Rutherford and one from Botterill about young defensemen getting a shot, and it is always Despres, Dumoulin, and Harrington that they name, never Samuelsson. I think Samuelsson projects to only be a bottom pairing defenseman, and would serve as an in-season call-up if needed, while the Pens feel Despres, Dumoulin, and Harrington (and when healthy, Pouliot) all have more upside.

what part of he can't be called up midseason if he is placed in the minors are people missing. He'd only be able to be called up in an emergency situation which is different from the standard call up teams make.

Fine if we want to bury him in the minors for another year, but if we do that he wont be getting a cup of coffee with the big team this year
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:16 am

darkstar57 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
darkstar57 wrote:
bwyant32 wrote:

what part of he can't be called up midseason if he is placed in the minors are people missing. He'd only be able to be called up in an emergency situation which is different from the standard call up teams make.

Fine if we want to bury him in the minors for another year, but if we do that he wont be getting a cup of coffee with the big team this year

He CAN be called up from the minors, he just has to pass through waivers and risk getting claimed by another team. I fully understand that. I am merely stating, Pens management continues to talk about committment to younger d-men, and they have left Samuelssons name out of that discussion EVERY time. Not saying that it is a given he starts in the minors, but I think he's going to have to outplay Dumoulin or Harrington in training camp to be on the opening night roster.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:21 pm

The lineup needs to be updated :)
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens4Life on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:12 pm

Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett
Dupuis - Malkin - Hornquist
Spaling - Sutter - Megna
Comeau - Adams - Gibbons/Sill ??
Martin - Letang
Maata - Ehrhoff
Despres - Scuderi
Bortuzzo

MAF
Greiss

how it looks right now.. when all healthy

doesnt look to good for me .. we need some upgrade on F lines..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins