Up to Date Lineup

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Up to Date Lineup

Postby sil on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:21 am

Megna or Sill won't be difference makers on a cup/no cup team. With Maatta (and possibly both Bennett and Dupuis) on LTIR to start the year...there will still be some wiggle room and potential moves to make over the first couple months of the regular season. Get Sutter signed to a 2-3 year deal, and then get some guys to compete for those (potentially) up to 3 open spots to start the year. When we're fully healthy...than things will have to get done.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve Dave on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:21 am

With Sutter yet to sign and the lineup listed below, Pens have approx. $3.13 million in cap space, but can place Maatta on LTIR ($894,000)...

Dupuis Crosby Hornqvist
Kunitz Malkin Bennett
Comeau Spaling Downie
Sill Goc Adams

Martin Letang
Scuderi Erhoff
Despres Bortuzzo
Samuelsson Maatta (LTIR)

Fleury
Greiss
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:05 pm

What is Bennett's time frame (cue Beau Brittle jokes)? He's supposed to be healed up by training camp and ready for opening night with time to spare, no?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:40 pm

slappybrown wrote:What is Bennett's time frame (cue Beau Brittle jokes)? He's supposed to be healed up by training camp and ready for opening night with time to spare, no?

Well, he had surgery on 5/22 with a 4 month recovery schedule. Assuming everything is still on schedule, that puts him back right at the start of pre-season. The Pens first pre-season game is 9/22. Given his history, I wouldn't be suprised if there is a set-back or two during the recovery phase. Here's hoping for the best.
SubtropicalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pens4Life on Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:41 pm

C ; Crosby, Malkin, Sutter, Goc, x-Adams
LW ; Kunitz, Downie, Spaling, Sill or Payerl
RW ; Hornquist, Bennett, Dupuis, Comeau
D; Letang, Martin, Ehrhoff, Scuderi, Despres, Bortuzzo, x-Dumoulin

lineup on opening night.. if BB not ready, KK gets a 9-game tryout..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:00 pm

Pens4Life wrote:C ; Crosby, Malkin, Sutter, Goc, x-Adams

I could see that minus Dumoulin. You aren't press boxing a guy that can get quality ice time in WBS and not have to clear waivers.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:06 pm

Yeah, that healthy scratch will probably be Samuelsson or Bortuzzo...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:06 pm

I'm a lot more confident with this lineup than what we started with last year.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:14 am

Beveridge wrote:

I could see that minus Dumoulin. You aren't press boxing a guy that can get quality ice time in WBS and not have to clear waivers.

Yeah,i have no problem with that.. 7th D-man should be the one,who we cant loose on waivers.. Or wont be missed that much,I rather loose Phillip than Dumo. Harrington will probably start in AHL,he is my favourite D among these youngsters.

Bortuzzo should start the season on 3rd pair.. when Maata comes back,adios Scuds - i hope..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:59 am

Hopefully after a slew of non-penguin defenseman go down around the league to injury - scuds becomes a welcome addition to some team around the league.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:04 am

Pens4Life wrote:
Beveridge wrote:

Yeah,i have no problem with that.. 7th D-man should be the one,who we cant loose on waivers.. Or wont be missed that much,I rather loose Phillip than Dumo. Harrington will probably start in AHL,he is my favourite D among these youngsters.

Bortuzzo should start the season on 3rd pair.. when Maata comes back,adios Scuds - i hope..

Dumo can be sent down without having to clear waivers.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:30 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:Hopefully after a slew of non-penguin defenseman go down around the league to injury - scuds becomes a welcome addition to some team around the league.

It is possible, but it will still be a CP 2000 era salary dump style trade... Scuderi and a 4th for a 7th type of thing.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Beveridge on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:16 pm

I can't wait to see the 180 turn on Scuds this year because he is not as bad as the 2nd half of last year made him out to be.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:56 pm

Beveridge wrote:I can't wait to see the 180 turn on Scuds this year because he is not as bad as the 2nd half of last year made him out to be.

Considering he was never any good, even on the cup team, you may have a long wait. He is only getting older and slower. I think we may see some brass kahunas this year and sit the poor dude down.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:19 am

Beveridge wrote:I can't wait to see the 180 turn on Scuds this year because he is not as bad as the 2nd half of last year made him out to be.

As much as I've dumped on Scuderi and still hope for his trade, injuries aside, I think Scuderi will be stronger this year. He really was playing very solid hockey prior to his injury, so it will be interesting to see how he does being fully healed.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:24 am

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:

As much as I've dumped on Scuderi and still hope for his trade, injuries aside, I think Scuderi will be stronger this year. He really was playing very solid hockey prior to his injury, so it will be interesting to see how he does being fully healed.

Scuds was just as terrible before his injury. Its just that everyone excused it as part of the adapting process...

Hopefully HCMJ can get more out of him than Blysma, who was clueless with players like Scuds and Michalek. I also will guess that a guy like Bortuzzo, playing in a more simple system, will look exponentially stronger, since he won't have to think so much.... and can just cripple guys who come inside the box.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:26 am

pcm wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:

Scuds was just as terrible before his injury. Its just that everyone excused it as part of the adapting process...

Hopefully HCMJ can get more out of him than Blysma, who was clueless with players like Scuds and Michalek. I also will guess that a guy like Bortuzzo, playing in a more simple system, will look exponentially stronger, since he won't have to think so much.... and can just cripple guys who come inside the box.

No, he wasn't and I was saying this before the end of last season and was singing his praises before the injury. He was far from terrible before the injury. He was playing very solid hockey .
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:12 am

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:He was far from terrible before the injury. He was playing very solid hockey .

:thumb:
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:51 am

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
pcm wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:

No, he wasn't and I was saying this before the end of last season and was singing his praises before the injury. He was far from terrible before the injury. He was playing very solid hockey .

No, Scuderi was not NHL caliber at any point last season. And it wasn't Bylsma (other than constantly gifting him a sweater) or the system.

It was Rob Scuderi. He brought absolutely zero battle or competitiveness. He didn't really try, his effort was absolutely pathetic from the first game all the way through the playoffs. He looked like joggin' George Hendrick or Derek Bell.

He refused to engage in front of the net. Even if a guy had already taken three whacks at Fleury, the the most belligerent the Globe Trotter would get would be a soft paw on the shoulder. Scuderi often avoided contact and would actually step out of the way of oncoming wings carrying the puck down the boards. The most egregious example of this was in the playoffs vs. Columbus when he sidestepped an on-rushing Dubinsky only to then attempt to grab said attacker's shoulder from behind, resulting in a penalty. :face:

This isn't even to comment on his inherent weaknesses with the puck, which were also beyond apparent in every game for which he laced them up. :evil:

He was pathetically soft and passive from the first game through the game 7 loss.

If the eye test isn't enough for you, look at his numbers and particularly the comparison of others when playing with Scuderi as opposed to being fortunate enough to get onto the ice without him. They are downright Spaling-level scary. :shock: Scuderi made virtually everyone of his teammates worse.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:59 am

I think Chripin just hates guys who have last names that start with 's'.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:04 am

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:I think Chripin just hates guys who have last names that start with 's'.

Sofff is the enemy :evil:
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sjnhiils on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:34 am

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
pcm wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:

No, Scuderi was not NHL caliber at any point last season. And it wasn't Bylsma (other than constantly gifting him a sweater) or the system.

It was Rob Scuderi. He brought absolutely zero battle or competitiveness. He didn't really try, his effort was absolutely pathetic from the first game all the way through the playoffs. He looked like joggin' George Hendrick or Derek Bell.

He refused to engage in front of the net. Even if a guy had already taken three whacks at Fleury, the the most belligerent the Globe Trotter would get would be a soft paw on the shoulder. Scuderi often avoided contact and would actually step out of the way of oncoming wings carrying the puck down the boards. The most egregious example of this was in the playoffs vs. Columbus when he sidestepped an on-rushing Dubinsky only to then attempt to grab said attacker's shoulder from behind, resulting in a penalty. :face:

This isn't even to comment on his inherent weaknesses with the puck, which were also beyond apparent in every game for which he laced them up. :evil:

He was pathetically soft and passive from the first game through the game 7 loss.

If the eye test isn't enough for you, look at his numbers and particularly the comparison of others when playing with Scuderi as opposed to being fortunate enough to get onto the ice without him. They are downright Spaling-level scary. :shock: Scuderi made virtually everyone of his teammates worse.

Scuderi went down to the ice too much completely taking himself out of the play. In the instances he managed to stay up and get to the puck he 1) Chipped the puck on his backhand behind the net totally handcuffing his defense partner . 2) Blasted the puck to no one in particular often resulting in an icing. 3) Blindly and weakly sent the puck up the boards right to the opposing point man. He provides no offense or transition game and is nowhere near the "defensive" defenseman he is touted to be. The Pens can survive without his offense, but when you cannot even rely on him to be just steady in his own end, I just don't see how he helps the team in any way.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby largegarlic on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:42 am

I'm with those who thought Scuderi was good prior to his injury. I remember multiple times early in the season when the Pens were running around like chickens with their heads cut off in their own zone (like they are prone to do), and Scuderi was the only one who kept his head, stayed in position, and made the simple, correct play to clear loose pucks in dangerous areas.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:47 am

sjnhiils wrote:
Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
pcm wrote:

Scuderi went down to the ice too much completely taking himself out of the play. In the instances he managed to stay up and get to the puck he 1) Chipped the puck on his backhand behind the net totally handcuffing his defense partner . 2) Blasted the puck to no one in particular often resulting in an icing. 3) Blindly and weakly sent the puck up the boards right to the opposing point man. He provides no offense or transition game and is nowhere near the "defensive" defenseman he is touted to be. The Pens can survive without his offense, but when you cannot even rely on him to be just steady in his own end, I just don't see how he helps the team in any way.

Great post :thumb:

Yea, he provided absolutely nothing and much more often than not was an anchor that his partner had to drag around. An alleged defensive d-man that won't hit, won't engage around the net, won't compete for loose pucks and is absolutely bereft of puck skills. He is a horrible example for the young guys coming up, virtually everything they should not become.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:12 pm

Its one source, but DK reported on a bunch of odds and ends on his site this afternoon and one Penguin item was Scuderi. According to his sources, the broken ankle he got in October impacted him the rest of the season. While he definitely lost a step coming into the season, the ankle apparently gave him problems the rest of the season and made things much worse. Hopefully that is recovered and we see a better showing from him. And maybe that limited mobility is why he seemed to go down to the ice so much.

In other Pens news from DK, he says it is pretty much a given that, at least for the start of the season, Crosby-Kunitz-Dupuis will play together. Pens don't want to move away from what worked unless they have to or it stops working.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins