Ehrhoff to PIT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Ehrhoff to PIT

Postby Pens4Life on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:35 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:
marek wrote:This was to replace Orpik!!!

:thumb:

Holy ****!!!! Orpik got 5.5M from Capitals,they are craaaazy!!!

Ehrhoff,decent signing.. not too psyhical player,but good with puck..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby marek on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:38 pm

Pens4Life wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:

Bonus: when Erhoff shoots it prob won't be anywhere near crosbys jaw
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:52 pm

Pens4Life wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:

Yep! Same idiot Caps management that has won them all those Cups since 1967. Oh wait... :lol:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:58 pm

no name wrote:Guys this move was made to replace Nisky, no more no less. A one year deal is a god send, Gives up a puck mover for one year until Poillet is ready to assume that spot. niskanen is as good as gone.

:fist: Exactly. The Pens know Niskanen is going away and this is his replacement. At 4mil, I like it. Niskanen may get 6mil with the usual UFA d-men signings by GM's(see Orpik for starters, good God!).
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:59 pm

marek wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:

Bonus: when Erhoff shoots it prob won't be anywhere near crosbys jaw

Yeah and I think Niskannen is going to get his $6.5-7M per year at this rate.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:37 pm

I think a lot of teams have backed off of him because of that $7 million a year number.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:15 pm

My notes on Christian Ehrhoff:

Christian Ehrhoff (RD/LD) - Offensive-minded defenseman who just goes out and plays the game. He distributes the puck fairly well from the backend; on the power play he is more of a mobile cannon than a quarterback, all told. He finds open areas of the ice well with decent hockey sense and very good skating. His defense isn't always by the book, but it's generally effective. He often leaves his feet (or at least his upright position) to make plays, especially on odd-man rushes against. Isn't really an in-your-face defender with a lot of vinegar, but he finds a way to get the puck out of danger usually. His attention to detail in the defensive zone during a sustained attack leaves a little to be desired sometimes, whether it's puck watching or stick positioning. He just goes out on every shift and plays, there's no other way to describe it.

Career: A #2 two-way defenseman with a penchant for offense
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:19 pm

mikey287 wrote:My notes on Christian Ehrhoff:

Christian Ehrhoff (RD/LD) - Offensive-minded defenseman who just goes out and plays the game. He distributes the puck fairly well from the backend; on the power play he is more of a mobile cannon than a quarterback, all told. He finds open areas of the ice well with decent hockey sense and very good skating. His defense isn't always by the book, but it's generally effective. He often leaves his feet (or at least his upright position) to make plays, especially on odd-man rushes against. Isn't really an in-your-face defender with a lot of vinegar, but he finds a way to get the puck out of danger usually. His attention to detail in the defensive zone during a sustained attack leaves a little to be desired sometimes, whether it's puck watching or stick positioning. He just goes out on every shift and plays, there's no other way to describe it.

Upgrade over Niskanen in your opinion? If so, just a little, a lot, etc?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Better than Niskanen by a clear but not large margin for me. I'm talking recent career, not just the last 25 games.

I find Niskanen to be a 4/5. Ehrhoff to be a 2/3.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:26 pm

What are your thoughts on the PK? We really dont have that guy who will clear the front of the net, besides Bortuzzo and with Orpik gone it seems to be a glaring weakness on this team as constructed.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:47 pm

Orpik cleared the front of the net? I must've missed that game. Which game during the last 3 years was it?
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:52 pm

ville5 wrote:Orpik cleared the front of the net? I must've missed that game. Which game during the last 3 years was it?

Orpik was at least physical in front of the net to a degree. If you dont count Orpik thats only 1 guy.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:04 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

What are your thoughts on the PK? We really dont have that guy who will clear the front of the net, besides Bortuzzo and with Orpik gone it seems to be a glaring weakness on this team as constructed.

Ehrhoff will not clear the front of the net.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:05 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqOLflagZK4 Mostly about Goc but Erhoff's hanging at his crib.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:05 pm

mikey287 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

I'm aware of that, are you surprised that the Pens haven't done more to get a "more physical" team?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DesertPenguin on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:16 pm

mikey287 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Bortuzzo, Despres and Letang are physical defensemen, and all should be in the lineup. This was needed, if only to ease the transition for the kids.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:25 pm

How many true "crease clearers" are there? Orpik just knocked guys onto Fleury... but what really is the actual supply of "crease clearers" out there? I really want one, but is it just a pipe dream?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:37 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

I'm aware of that, are you surprised that the Pens haven't done more to get a "more physical" team?

No, not really. That kind of game is kind of optional now-a-days. Rather than engage, teams like to get out in front. Principles of walling off and boxing out take precedence over battles to the death that we saw 15-20 years ago. I think it's not so much the need for physicality, but an attention to detail with a competitive fire geared towards a common goal.

Maybe Bortuzzo (if he didn't get lost so much) or Samuelsson or Dumoulin can handle this...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:17 pm

Orpik was physical down low in the sense that he was really good at knocking people on to Fleury. Are we really gonna miss that?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:38 pm

Fantastic signing at a relatively cheap price. A lot of teams would have gladly offered Orpik or Niskanen's contract to Ehrhoff in a heartbeat.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:43 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Fantastic signing at a relatively cheap price. A lot of teams would have gladly offered Orpik or Niskanen's contract to Ehrhoff in a heartbeat.

Almost a gift.

Thanks Obama Gaucho
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby pcm on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:58 pm

For all those people asking about how we would replace Martin as a #2 in a trade...

Ehrhoff provides a 1 year stopgap, while Despres and Maatta become this teams' #2 and #3 dmen. Also gives the team a PP dman until Pouliot is ready to take the reins.

Of course, I may be mistaken about a Martin trade, but it sure sounds like (a) he's not re-signing here, (b) it was made public for a reason, (c) the Pens purposefully acquired a replacement, and (d) he's the teams' most tradeable asset.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:59 pm

Especially b).

That wasn't an accident.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:01 pm

Where does (a) come from? How does one figure (c)? Or (d)?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:15 pm

(a) Missed the news bit a couple days ago Martin not signing an extension? Of course, it's not impossible, but he came out and said he's not signing...

(c) "We like Paul a lot," [GMJR] said. "Hopefully he can play here for several years. But certainly, with Orpik and Niskanen going out and all the good young defensemen we have coming, Paul in the last year of his contract, that gives us a little more protection with Ehrhoff even though he is on a one-year contract."

In other words, Paul is likely not re-signing, and the Pens will likely trade him at some point, if the good young defenseman step up...

(d) Given the demand for Niskanen, what would Min, Det, Ana, LA and others who missed out offer for Paul Martin? How's about a top 6 forward on an EL contract...

It sounds like GMJR will wait to see how the kids play before trading Martin. Which I can't disagree with. Gotta see how Maatta comes back from his injury... And while not a sure thing, this certainly sounds to me like the plan.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins