Ehrhoff to PIT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Ehrhoff to PIT

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:01 pm

mikey287 wrote:Where does (a) come from? How does one figure (c)? Or (d)?

You had predicted that Martin was ready to sign a two year extension for close to the $5m he is making now. Anything new on that?
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:41 pm

Evidently, it's not in the plans with this new management team. I'll try to get more information when things die down. I'm no where near important enough to start poking around with them right now to be honest...they're getting bombarded with a million questions...I'll have to dig later...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:20 am

I just watched JR's presser and he said that this signing gives them protection and he's right about that: wait until after the season plays out and see if Ehroff wants to stick around.
The cap should be going up, so they could throw a five year deal at him and still have two very solid vets, in the event that Martin walks.

It's pretty nice that this opportunity fell into his lap (along with his bran flakes).
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ville5 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:30 am

Now GMJR has to get Garth on the phone. Fishsticks need $7M in cap space to reach lower level and 20 roster spots filled.
If it was any other GM id say trade Scuds and a 4th for a 6th. But you could probably get a 4th and a 6th from Snow lol.
Anyhow, someones gonna make use of their space. GMJR has got to be proactive. Just like when he was the 1st to contact
Erhoff's agent.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby HockeyDaddy on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:34 am

I believe that shots from the point, even at ES, will be more of a focus in MJ's system. Ehrhoff's big shot is going to be very useful to this new coaching staff.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PhantomJB93 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:08 am

At first I was a bit worried about only getting him for one year and losing both him and Martin next year but now I like it. I figure we'll wait and see how they do in Johnstons system and sign one of them to an extension next year, let the other walk or trade them at the deadline, and then use the difference leftover to address forwards.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:28 am

On the DVE morning show today madded said the Pens should trade Martin because "... he is in the last year of his contract. Ehrhoff is one a one year too." Um... so they should trade Ehrhoff too Mark? That's what your logic is saying. Really? ... Really?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:36 pm

mikey287 wrote:Evidently, it's not in the plans with this new management team. I'll try to get more information when things die down. I'm no where near important enough to start poking around with them right now to be honest...they're getting bombarded with a million questions...I'll have to dig later...

Actually it was reported that the new management team did want to extend him, but Martin isn't interested. He was never going to sign a two year extension, this is his last chance at a big deal.

If he goes UFA next year, the bidding probably starts at around 5 years, $6m per. That's probably conservative based on what we saw yesterday and the size of next year's cap increase.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pugilist13 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:52 pm

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Where does (a) come from? How does one figure (c)? Or (d)?

You had predicted that Martin was ready to sign a two year extension for close to the $5m he is making now. Anything new on that?

I cant imagine Martin being interesred in a 2 yr extension. It will be his last big contract of his career and someone will pay it.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:02 pm

After the money blue liners got yesterday, Paul Martin spent today making sure all NHL GMs had his current phone number.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:14 pm

Listening to Ehrhoff conference call: (will update as it goes)

-(Molinari)Ehrhoff felt Pittsburgh was best fit. He wanted to be here. With Pitts salary cap situation, he was fine signing for lower and term wasn't a big need. He hopes that it works well this season and can look at resigning.
-(PensInitiative)He had a few others he was looking at, but when Pittsburgh became an option, he focused on them.
-Wasn't selling point with Greiss/Goc. But he has played with Goc alot, and it makes it nice to have players like that there.
-(Yohe)Thought he would get traded not bought out. Last season was frustrating, so he is happy with new start.
-(BeaverCountyTimes)What do you know about the coach, and puck possession team? - Doesn't know much about coach, puck possession game is huge and I like to move the puck, get puck to forward quick and try to be involved in offense. Will fit my style of play.
-(WPXI) what is it about Pens that led you to want to come with changed going on? -When you have 87/71, obvious you have 2 of top players. Huge to have 2 centers like that in lineup. Supporting cast is good, defense looks good too. All around we have a good lineup, and PIT is always team mentioned every year as chance at cup.
-(Michelle Crichelo, Pit Penguins) Been a whirwind last few days? -Been crazy starting with buyout, prep for free agency, then getting deal done right out of free agency gate. A few more crazy days coming organizing move, selling house, etc.
-(Molinari) Chaotic Pit offseason so far. Concerns they aren't as formidible as last few years. -No, fresh start for everyone. New GM, Coach, some new faces on roster. Everyone excited, no concern for me.
(NHL.com) You mentioned agent call on buyout. Where were you when you got the news? -Was at my home in Germany, 1PM there, 7AM agent time. Thought he might have been traded.
(SethRor..) PP guy for your career. With 58 & 7, concern on getting 1st PP time. -Not really, coaches will figure it out. I see myself as all around dman. last 4-5 years played a lot of mins SJ/VAN in every situation. I dont see me as just PP guy.

That was the end of the call
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:17 pm

Very cool thanks for posting
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ar5 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:08 pm

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0gipR6i0rRs

AWESOME Mark Madden interview with Ehrhoff. I couldn't stop laughing at the soccer joked at the beginning and end of it. Ehrhoff seems like an awesome personality in the locker room too. Very funny and self assured guy.
ar5
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:42 pm

Nice interview. Thanks for posting, ar5!
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:05 am

I still hink this was a illogical signing, our need for another offensive Dman was very low. I can only see this move making any sence if we are going to deal Letang or Martin later in the season. And if you can deal Letang you do it keep Martin and make it a point to sign him to another 5 year deal. If Ehrhoff does well here we can sign him long term after the season.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:10 am

no name wrote:I still hink this was a illogical signing, our need for another offensive Dman was very low. I can only see this move making any sence if we are going to deal Letang or Martin later in the season. And if you can deal Letang you do it keep Martin and make it a point to sign him to another 5 year deal. If Ehrhoff does well here we can sign him long term after the season.

After losing Orpik, Niskanen, and Engelland it made sense to bring in another veteran. Plus he adds an element to the PP that had been missing: neither Letang nor Martin were really a threat from the point.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Avyran on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:22 am

Yeah, losing Niskanen really lost our main threat from the defense in terms of shots. Martin is decent at sneaking stuff through, and Letang will smash the back boards half the time. Ehrhoff gives something close to a threat that we haven't had since Gonchar, in all honesty.
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:08 am

Wonder if the league would discipline the Pens if Ehrhoff signs an extension for a $5.5 - $6 million cap hit knowing this year was simply get under the cap and when Martin is gone bump him up?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:16 am

DelPen wrote:Wonder if the league would discipline the Pens if Ehrhoff signs an extension for a $5.5 - $6 million cap hit knowing this year was simply get under the cap and when Martin is gone bump him up?

Perfectly legal, but I don't think he can sign an extension until after January 1st. Would need to double check the date.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:19 am

Thats right. And with regards to discipline, they'd have to prove that the Pens and Ehrhoff made that agreement ahead of time. That wouldn't happen.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:33 am

FLPensFan wrote:
DelPen wrote:Wonder if the league would discipline the Pens if Ehrhoff signs an extension for a $5.5 - $6 million cap hit knowing this year was simply get under the cap and when Martin is gone bump him up?

Perfectly legal, but I don't think he can sign an extension until after January 1st. Would need to double check the date.

Page 279 of the CBA
(iv) A Player who is party to a one-year SPC may not enter into an "extension"
of such SPC prior to January 1 of the League Year covered by such SPC.

The league could challenge and try to say Pens tried to circumvent the cap, but I doubt it would win, being that there is language for 1 year SPC extensions in the CBA....

(iii) If an SPC is de-registered because it is or involves a Circumvention
relating to either the Club's Upper Limit or Maximum Player Salary, then
the Player shall be entitled to continue to play under such SPC, and shall
be entitled to all of the rights and benefits provided for under such SPC to
the extent provided for below; and:
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:42 am

Other factors are at play here considering the buy-out by the Sabres: http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11153 ... alo-sabres
He's still getting paid a nice chunk of money. As we've seen in the past, buyouts allow players to sign with a more attractive team for way-under value terms.

He was just a great signing by the Pens.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:08 am

I was just going through the D pairings in my head and forgot about Ehroff! I really think he is going to add a lot this team in their transition game.

I am excited about the structure of this team this year. Much less top heavy from previous years. Feels more like a "team" where everyone is going to contribute. That is how you win in the playoffs.

Also, MAF is in his contract year, so hopefully he's ready to roll and we can go on a nice long run this year.

Bennett needs to stay healthy and produce...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:06 pm

KG wrote:I was just going through the D pairings in my head and forgot about Ehroff! I really think he is going to add a lot this team in their transition game.

I am excited about the structure of this team this year. Much less top heavy from previous years. Feels more like a "team" where everyone is going to contribute. That is how you win in the playoffs.

Also, MAF is in his contract year, so hopefully he's ready to roll and we can go on a nice long run this year.

Bennett needs to stay healthy and produce...

He better add more than just transition, he needs to be a force on the PP to justify adding another high priced defensmen instead of a top 6 forward.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:10 pm

I dont know that 4 million is high priced. Certainly not for a second pairing guy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins