Thomas Greiss to PIT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Thomas Greiss to PIT

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:51 pm

They signed Greiss because they don't really believe that Jagoff is an NHL goalie....I don't disagree with them on that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:59 pm

I don't understand this signing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:02 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:Obviously we are moving Fleury, Greiss to start with Zatkoff as backup.

Very funny. I just about spit up my coffee... :lol:

Now if you're serious... :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:06 pm

Thats the only way the signing makes any sense to me. And then it would only make sense if they had bought fleury out and wanted to spend more money today.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:14 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Thats the only way the signing makes any sense to me. And then it would only make sense if they had bought fleury out and wanted to spend more money today.

Why does wanting a backup with a solid track record not make sense?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:17 pm

Having 2 backups of equal ability doesn't make any sense. Especially when the new one won't be around as long as the one that was already in place.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:21 pm

Greiss is much better than Zatkoff. Greiss is an NHL backup. Zatkoff is an AHL starter.

Incase of injury you can have Greiss be a NHL starter for a short time and not worry about it. Incase of injury you can have Zatkoff be an NHL backup for a short timeand not worry about it. You can NOT have Zatkoff be an NHL starter for a short time and not worry about it.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:27 pm

There's a reasonable chance that Jagoff will never play another game in the NHL.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby sniper on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:08 pm

Personally I didn't have a problem with Zatkoff as a backup. He's not great, but he's not awful either. I was a bit confused by this signing. I will ask if Greiss is any good at handling the puck? If so that would be a plus.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Rutherford just experienced his team falling apart after Cam Ward got injured, and he does not want to see a repeat of that in Pittsburgh. I like Zatkoff, but if Fleury got injured during the playoffs I would have very little faith that Zatkoff could get the job done. I would have a bit more faith in Greiss.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:22 pm

It's been said many times that Penguins pro scouts have been high on Greiss for quite some time and feel that he has more to offer. They apparently told him that he's being brought in to fight for the starting job, not to just sit back and play a game here or there. The better goaltender will get the majority of the starts.

I love it. I'm tired of them just defaulting to Fleury. The new front office is making a statement that Fleury isn't safe, nor are they apparently full of confidence in him. Just look at Fleury's stats, he's right around league average, and we're paying him over 5 million dollars a season, for average goaltending. That money could be quite useful elsewhere. Greiss will be a prime example of getting league average goaltending for a 1/5 of the price.

This will be a huge year for Fleury, if Greiss outplays him, there could be changes.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:43 pm

murphydump55 wrote:It's been said many times that Penguins pro scouts have been high on Greiss for quite some time and feel that he has more to offer. They apparently told him that he's being brought in to fight for the starting job, not to just sit back and play a game here or there. The better goaltender will get the majority of the starts.

I love it. I'm tired of them just defaulting to Fleury. The new front office is making a statement that Fleury isn't safe, nor are they apparently full of confidence in him. Just look at Fleury's stats, he's right around league average, and we're paying him over 5 million dollars a season, for average goaltending. That money could be quite useful elsewhere. Greiss will be a prime example of getting league average goaltending for a 1/5 of the price.

This will be a huge year for Fleury, if Greiss outplays him, there could be changes.

I'd say it's more likely that Greiss, like most, expects the Pens and Fleury to part ways after this season and wants to get his foot in the door early for what will likely be a vacant starting position. So not necessarily that he's going to get more play time with the Pens now but that it puts him in a position to possibly take on a starting role next year.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:46 pm

tfrizz wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:It's been said many times that Penguins pro scouts have been high on Greiss for quite some time and feel that he has more to offer. They apparently told him that he's being brought in to fight for the starting job, not to just sit back and play a game here or there. The better goaltender will get the majority of the starts.

I'd say it's more likely that Greiss, like most, expects the Pens and Fleury to part ways after this season and wants to get his foot in the door early for what will likely be a vacant starting position. So not necessarily that he's going to get more play time with the Pens now but that it puts him in a position to possibly take on a starting role next year.

That too. Unless of course he fails and Fleury is outstanding.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:56 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

That too. Unless of course he fails and Fleury is outstanding.

I don't think that matters. Fleury could win the Vezina this season and they'd probably still want him gone.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lesky on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:47 am

This stinks.

My SHL club Brynas had Greiss in sweden and he was terrible, not a fan of this signing at all!
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Paul Baxter on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:50 pm

After doing some research on Thomas Greiss, I actually love this signing. Greiss has five years of experience as a backup in the very good Pacific Division (4 years with San Jose and 1 year with Phoenix) and in his last season with Phoenix, he had his best career save percentage at .920 and best career goals against average at 2.29 (both stats better that Fleury's!). He also started 20 games last season and has 52 starts in his career, so he's not exactly inexperienced as a starter. And at age 28, he's probably just stepping into his prime years as a goaltender.

Also, Phoenix was happy with him and did not want to lose him, but knew he wanted to be a starter. This is from an article from The Arizona Republic dated 7/2/2014:

"Thomas Greiss gave us a very good performance last year," General Manager Don Maloney said. "We have no complaints whatsoever. He wanted to move on to try to get more games in and that was fine and he did....." Although the Coyotes reached out to Greiss' camp during the Olympic break to gauge interest on a contract extension and kept in touch once the season ended, it was clear Greiss was going to entertain other teams for the chance to either be a starter or at least see more regular playing time.

I love it that Greiss wants to be a starter, because it's time to move beyond the Fleury era. The sooner the better. I will be happy to see Fleury finally leave next year when he becomes an unrestricted free agent. In fact, I would not be surprised if Griess beats out Fleury for the starting position in the upcoming season.

One more thing to keep in mind on the Greiss signing: He was signed by Jim Rutherford, a former NHL goaltender who knows a thing or two about playing goalie in the NHL. Rutherford has probably already made the assessment that he wants Fleury gone.
Paul Baxter
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:56 pm

Paul Baxter wrote:After doing some research on Thomas Greiss, I actually love this signing. Greiss has five years of experience as a backup in the very good Pacific Division (4 years with San Jose and 1 year with Phoenix) and in his last season with Phoenix, he had his best career save percentage at .920 and best career goals against average at 2.29 (both stats better that Fleury's!). He also started 20 games last season and has 52 starts in his career, so he's not exactly inexperienced as a starter. And at age 28, he's probably just stepping into his prime years as a goaltender.

Also, Phoenix was happy with him and did not want to lose him, but knew he wanted to be a starter. This is from an article from The Arizona Republic dated 7/2/2014:

"Thomas Greiss gave us a very good performance last year," General Manager Don Maloney said. "We have no complaints whatsoever. He wanted to move on to try to get more games in and that was fine and he did....." Although the Coyotes reached out to Greiss' camp during the Olympic break to gauge interest on a contract extension and kept in touch once the season ended, it was clear Greiss was going to entertain other teams for the chance to either be a starter or at least see more regular playing time.

I love it that Greiss wants to be a starter, because it's time to move beyond the Fleury era. The sooner the better. I will be happy to see Fleury finally leave next year when he becomes an unrestricted free agent. In fact, I would not be surprised if Griess beats out Fleury for the starting position in the upcoming season.

One more thing to keep in mind on the Greiss signing: He was signed by Jim Rutherford, a former NHL goaltender who knows a thing or two about playing goalie in the NHL. Rutherford has probably already made the assessment that he wants Fleury gone.

Wat?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:01 pm

Lesky wrote:This stinks.

My SHL club Brynas had Greiss in sweden and he was terrible, not a fan of this signing at all!

He's an upgrade over Zatkoff, but I think people will be surprised at how mediocre he is. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this was his worst season since 2007-08. His numbers in goalie heaven (Phoenix) are very misleading.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Paul Baxter on Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:32 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Lesky wrote:This stinks.

He's an upgrade over Zatkoff, but I think people will be surprised at how mediocre he is. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this was his worst season since 2007-08. His numbers in goalie heaven (Phoenix) are very misleading.

What is the basis of your opinion that Greiss is so mediocre? And why do you think his goalie stats are misleading? I've read that he's always been considered a decent goalie, but has never really had an opportunity to step into a starting role. I've never seen him play, so I'm just going by what I've read on him. Thanks.
Paul Baxter
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:31 pm

I also never cared for Greiss, though for some reason he gets a lot of play from fans...I feel like he plays the "potential card" but he really doesn't have that big of an upside in my opinion. He was a guy that many fans saw him get waived and lost their minds...just not that good of a goaltender, hoping for the best. But seems like a marginal upgrade at best...definitely doesn't look like NHL starter material to me...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:18 pm

tfrizz wrote:

Good Lord, if they swap out Fleury for Greiss...good bye Cup dreams. Griess is a solid back up to take the place of the parting Vokoun. Nothing more.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:21 pm

Paul Baxter wrote:One more thing to keep in mind on the Greiss signing: He was signed by Jim Rutherford, a former NHL goaltender who knows a thing or two about playing goalie in the NHL. Rutherford has probably already made the assessment that he wants Fleury gone.

You mean the same Rutherford who built that powerhouse Carolina franchise that came and went as Cam Ward did? OK.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:47 am

The comments about Griess being anything more than a replacement for Zatkoff are kind of strange. Griess has recorded just 5 more starts in his career as MAF did just last year. He's a backup, and this:

Paul Baxter wrote:

is probably 95% correct, except replace Fleury with Zatkoff.

Not every move is a bubbling conspiracy or grand plan. If Griess was brought here to replace MAF, we're boned.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:29 am

Greiss was brought in to take the spot of "solid/reliable backup" which Zatkoff was not.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby puckeye on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:48 am

keep in mind Rutherford has said a few times how goalie injuries kept killing him in Carolina, my guess this is just depth move on a guy the scouts have liked

I like the thought but would have rather used the cap $s elsewhere
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins