Thomas Greiss to PIT

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Thomas Greiss to PIT

Postby tfrizz on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:40 am

puckeye wrote:keep in mind Rutherford has said a few times how goalie injuries kept killing him in Carolina, my guess this is just depth move on a guy the scouts have liked

I like the thought but would have rather used the cap $s elsewhere

I believe Rutherford made a comment along those lines somewhere (?).
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:58 am

He determined that he wanted/needed a better option for the backup; not sure why there is any controversy to it.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby the wicked child on Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:21 am

columbia wrote:He determined that he wanted/needed a better option for the backup; not sure why there is any controversy to it.

I don't know muchanything about GReiss, but I welcome competition for the spot. I felt that Shero gave Zatkoff that 2 year deal way too soon. Maybe he'll end up as a good backup eventually, but I was uncomfortable every time someone shot the puck in his direction last season.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:42 am

the wicked child wrote:
columbia wrote:He determined that he wanted/needed a better option for the backup; not sure why there is any controversy to it.

I don't know muchanything about GReiss, but I welcome competition for the spot. I felt that Shero gave Zatkoff that 2 year deal way too soon. Maybe he'll end up as a good backup eventually, but I was uncomfortable every time someone shot the puck in his direction last season.

This.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:17 pm

So let me get this straight...

Penguins sign Greiss to a 1 year deal, so that at the end of the year, they can let Fleury go and sign Greiss again to a long term deal, after of course benching Fleury and making Greiss the de-facto starter.

You really have to admire just how something so stupid can sound when people skip over the general idea of something by splattering the board with 5 paragraphs of nonsense in a post.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:31 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:So let me get this straight...

Penguins sign Greiss to a 1 year deal, so that at the end of the year, they can let Fleury go and sign Greiss again to a long term deal, after of course benching Fleury and making Greiss the de-facto starter.

You really have to admire just how something so stupid can sound when people skip over the general idea of something by splattering the board with 5 paragraphs of nonsense in a post.

I think only one person really said that and I was proud that it went largely ignored given how absolutely ridiculous and asinine the original comment was.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:58 pm

Crankshaft wrote:

I think only one person really said that and I was proud that it went largely ignored given how absolutely ridiculous and asinine the original comment was.

I was trying to unread it. Thanks for bringing it back up.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:04 pm

Crankshaft wrote:

Just in case this is in reference to my post, I never said that it's what will (or even should) happen but that it's the likely reason why Greiss chose the Pens. He wanted to go somewhere that he thought he could get a starting job at. I can't see him expecting to take the job from Fleury, so the only thing that makes sense is that he signed expecting Fleury to go elsewhere next summer.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Paul Baxter on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:02 pm

If you can't understand the logic behind (a) planning for the exit of the most overpaid and underachieving goalie in the NHL, (b) signing the best available experienced NHL goalie given cap constraints in order to provide badly needed depth at the position, (c) being prudent with a one-year signing, which is completely consistent with the other Penguins' free agent signings, and (d) considering the possibility that the signed goalie will actually be given the opportunity to compete for the starting position with the overpaid, underachieving incumbent, then you're incapable of seeing through your own stupidity. :roll:
Paul Baxter
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:09 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Paul Baxter on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:09 pm

Crankshaft wrote:

Crankshaft, I've never really seen you contribute much to this board except to go out of your way to be critical of others comments. This board has always suffered because of posters like you who have such a penchant for making truly asinine comments. Have a good evening. :roll:
Paul Baxter
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Paul Baxter on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:10 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
Paul Baxter wrote:After doing some research on Thomas Greiss, I actually love this signing. Greiss has five years of experience as a backup in the very good Pacific Division (4 years with San Jose and 1 year with Phoenix) and in his last season with Phoenix, he had his best career save percentage at .920 and best career goals against average at 2.29 (both stats better that Fleury's!). He also started 20 games last season and has 52 starts in his career, so he's not exactly inexperienced as a starter. And at age 28, he's probably just stepping into his prime years as a goaltender.

Also, Phoenix was happy with him and did not want to lose him, but knew he wanted to be a starter. This is from an article from The Arizona Republic dated 7/2/2014:

"Thomas Greiss gave us a very good performance last year," General Manager Don Maloney said. "We have no complaints whatsoever. He wanted to move on to try to get more games in and that was fine and he did....." Although the Coyotes reached out to Greiss' camp during the Olympic break to gauge interest on a contract extension and kept in touch once the season ended, it was clear Greiss was going to entertain other teams for the chance to either be a starter or at least see more regular playing time.

I love it that Greiss wants to be a starter, because it's time to move beyond the Fleury era. The sooner the better. I will be happy to see Fleury finally leave next year when he becomes an unrestricted free agent. In fact, I would not be surprised if Griess beats out Fleury for the starting position in the upcoming season.

One more thing to keep in mind on the Greiss signing: He was signed by Jim Rutherford, a former NHL goaltender who knows a thing or two about playing goalie in the NHL. Rutherford has probably already made the assessment that he wants Fleury gone.

Wat?

A really worthwhile post, Crankshaft. And learn how to spell.
Paul Baxter
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:23 pm

Paul Baxter wrote:

If you can't understand the logic behind (a) planning for the exit of the most overpaid and underachieving goalie in the NHL, (b) signing the best available experienced NHL goalie given cap constraints in order to provide badly needed depth at the position, (c) being prudent with a one-year signing, which is completely consistent with the other Penguins' free agent signings, and (d) considering the possibility that the signed goalie will actually be given the opportunity to compete for the starting position with the overpaid, underachieving incumbent, then you're incapable of seeing through your own stupidity. :roll:

Fleury is neither overpaid nor has he underperformed. He makes about average for a starting goalie, and his numbers are about average.

Also, Griess has started what, like 50 some odd games in like 5 years years? His "experience" is somewhat dubious.

You're really coming off as an axe grinder with posts like this. Your smug and insulting demeanor isn't helping your cause.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:27 pm

Froggy wrote:
Paul Baxter wrote:

Fleury is neither overpaid nor has he underperformed. He makes about average for a starting goalie, and his numbers are about average.

Also, Griess has started what, like 50 some odd games in like 5 years years? His "experience" is somewhat dubious.

You're really coming off as an axe grinder with posts like this. Your smug and insulting demeanor isn't helping your cause.

:thumb:
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:28 pm

Fleury has underperformed. He was historically bad one year then lost his job the next. His regular season output is average - which is probably in line with his pay. Though he's probably a little over paid based on his stats.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Paul Baxter wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:

Crankshaft, I've never really seen you contribute much to this board except to go out of your way to be critical of others comments. This board has always suffered because of posters like you who have such a penchant for making truly asinine comments. Have a good evening. :roll:

slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:35 pm

shmenguin wrote:Fleury has underperformed. He was historically bad one year then lost his job the next. His regular season output is average - which is probably in line with his pay. Though he's probably a little over paid based on his stats.

But you probably agree he's not the most overpaid and underperforming goalie in the entire league.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:40 pm

slappybrown wrote:
Paul Baxter wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:

:lol:
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:51 pm

bhaw wrote:
shmenguin wrote:Fleury has underperformed. He was historically bad one year then lost his job the next. His regular season output is average - which is probably in line with his pay. Though he's probably a little over paid based on his stats.

But you probably agree he's not the most overpaid and underperforming goalie in the entire league.

Oh of course. That's crazy talk.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:56 pm

the wicked child wrote:

Pretty sure the controversy is whether or not Greiss is any degree of better than Zatkoff.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:56 pm

bhaw wrote:

I think that vote now goes to the much heralded (at least on this board) Ryan Miller.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:54 pm

For 6 million? Thats a pretty good contract id say. Not even close to overpaid.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:38 pm

Greiss greiss baby
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:59 am

Sorry I brought up the nonsensical post again, but hey - at least I didn't quote it this time and bring it up on everyone's board who had foe'd the person.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:08 am

Idoit40fans wrote:For 6 million? Thats a pretty good contract id say. Not even close to overpaid.

Blues fans not impressed, they wanted him out of there
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins