Press Conference at 3

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Press Conference at 3

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:11 pm

Jim wrote:My point is that Crosby and Malkin are not exactly ironmen either. So anyone can get hurt.

And to you trade idea... who the ruddy-poo would trade a potential top 6 winger for Scuderi? Seriously... Shut the PlayStation off because it is LIEING to you. You are MAJORILY assuming that someone would want Scuderi and his $3.75 salary. Even just for a #7 pick. No one, NO ONE, wants him. He is a Penguin. Accept it.

And... One open spot in the top 9... in July.

*lying
*majorly
*Scuderi makes $3,375,000 - not $3,750,000

And if Engellend is making $2.9, there is a team that would take him for $3.375...definitely.

Whether or not the Pens want to move him at the current time is another story.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:13 pm

Penner I'm tellin ya. Cheap and a low risk move
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby helmespc on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:13 pm

Trip McNeely wrote:The scuderi contract is an albatross right now

You've been harping on this all afternoon, but I don't know what you want them to do about it. It's not like teams just willingly take a "bad" investment for quality returns. Yes, for what Scuds gave last year, it looks like a bad signing, but look back at most Dmen we've acquired over the last 10 years and more than half have been "busts" their first year on the team (Gonchar, Martin, Niskanen come to mind). He's got a decent likelihood to improve his performance this year and at worst can still provide veteran depth. Just dropping him to buy cap space doesn't guarantee anyone will be willing to fill that void for decent terms.
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:14 pm

The over the top reactions are hilarious. If Kulemin signs tonight then all that crying will be for nothing.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:14 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:I'd actually be happier if Bennett wasn't on the roster and they couldn't keep hoping beyond hope that he will amount to anything.

MCM, while it's not typically wise to rest all hopes on a kid trying to crack your top 6, you certainly don't give up on him when he's only 22 years old.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:20 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:I'd actually be happier if Bennett wasn't on the roster and they couldn't keep hoping beyond hope that he will amount to anything.

MCM, while it's not typically wise to rest all hopes on a kid trying to crack your top 6, you certainly don't give up on him when he's only 22 years old.

But what has he ever done, anywhere, to indicate he has the ability to be in the top 6?

he scored 13 goals in 47 games at Denver. He's scored the same number in 89 professional games. Where is the pedigree here? What am I missing?
Last edited by Mad City Mike on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimjom on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:21 pm

Bennett hasn't proved anything. Look at other 2010 first rounders -- Skinner, Fowler, Seguin, Granlund, Tarasenko, Bjugstad, Hall -- Point made. Bennett had high potential but is a huge waste and doesn't belong in the NHL. Terrible pick.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:25 pm

jimjom wrote:Bennett hasn't proved anything. Look at other 2010 first rounders -- Skinner, Fowler, Seguin, Granlund, Tarasenko, Bjugstad, Hall -- Point made. Bennett had high potential but is a huge waste and doesn't belong in the NHL. Terrible pick.

You just named seven guys picked ahead of him in that draft. Solid analysis. What about Joey Hishon? Austin Watson? Derek Forbort? Guys picked ahead of Bennett with less (or no0 NHL experience at this point in their career? Connolly was picked 6th and has less points in twice as many games. Bennett's 22. Not every player is Mario Lemieux or Sidney Crosby. Cool your jets.
Last edited by Dickie Dunn on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:25 pm

SolidSnake wrote:The over the top reactions are hilarious. If Kulemin signs tonight then all that crying will be for nothing.

Not really. Kulemin isn't very good and I personally don't want him as a top 6 forward for anywhere close to the rumored 4M he's asking for.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:29 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
jimjom wrote:Bennett hasn't proved anything. Look at other 2010 first rounders -- Skinner, Fowler, Seguin, Granlund, Tarasenko, Bjugstad, Hall -- Point made. Bennett had high potential but is a huge waste and doesn't belong in the NHL. Terrible pick.

You just named seven guys picked ahead of him in that draft. Solid analysis. What about Joey Hishon? Austin Watson? Derek Forbort? Guys picked ahead of Bennett with less (or no0 NHL experience at this point in their career? Connolly was picked 6th and has less points in twice as many games. Bennett's 22. Not every player is Mario Lemieux or Sidney Crosby. Cool your jets.

What about Riley Sheahan, picked just after him? The point is, he hasn't produced anywhere he's been.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:29 pm

Kulemin is worth 2.75M at most with that numbers..

BUT MY QUESTION IS,why was a press conference today at all???
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:29 pm

Common sense states that Kulemin hasn't been signed because he's asking for too much/too long.

Shouldn't we be applauding GMJR for not doing this?
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:31 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

But what has he ever done, anywhere, to indicate he has the ability to be in the top 6?

he scored 13 goals in 47 games at Denver. He's scored the same number in 89 professional games. Where is the pedigree here? What am I missing?

You're missing quite a bit, obviously. Then again, it seems like you're just looking at box scores.

I don't think anyone who has a positive outlook re: Bennett is making him out to be the superstar that you and other 'detractors' are making them out to be. However, he shows solid instincts...he's a decent play maker and has a good shot. He's only 22 and will hopefully be more consistent with experience because when he's been healthy, he's shown flashes of a very good top-6 forward.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:31 pm

With the prices and terms going around today I thought Pens did great. Granted they were limited to begin with, but still thought it was a good day smart shopping wise.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:31 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:

What about Riley Sheahan, picked just after him? The point is, he hasn't produced anywhere he's been.

No, the point is that they were drafted 4 friggin years ago and some players take longer to develop than two professional seasons.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby helmespc on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:31 pm

topshelf wrote:Common sense states that Kulemin hasn't been signed because he's asking for too much/too long.

:thumb:
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:31 pm

topshelf wrote:Common sense states that Kulemin hasn't been signed because he's asking for too much/too long.

Depends how things shake out the rest of the summer.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:32 pm

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:They really need to get another top 6 guy on the cheap (Stempniak type). I do not want to see Dupuis on Sid or Geno's wing.

So I've lost track of Stempniak. Did he sign with someone? If not, any reason the Pens wouldn't want to re-sign him? I thought he played well.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pugilist13 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:36 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:The over the top reactions are hilarious. If Kulemin signs tonight then all that crying will be for nothing.

Not really. Kulemin isn't very good and I personally don't want him as a top 6 forward for anywhere close to the rumored 4M he's asking for.

I'm with you. 4M a year for a guy who has steadily regressed year after year. Some say it's because he's playing 3rd line minutes. Exactly, that's what he is.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pugilist13 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:38 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:They really need to get another top 6 guy on the cheap (Stempniak type). I do not want to see Dupuis on Sid or Geno's wing.

So I've lost track of Stempniak. Did he sign with someone? If not, any reason the Pens wouldn't want to re-sign him? I thought he played well.

After they sign the RFA's that they made qualifying offers to, they should be just about out of space.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:39 pm

Yes we should be. If Kulemin's price drops, maybe we revisit. Camalleri, Jokinen....these guys have stats and similar dollars to Kulemin's rumored asking price. Silly.

We got rid of Glass. If we could just bury Adams I'd be fine with our lineup.

Zack Sill may show up this year. Megan showed promise. Gibbons is a decent change up on a 4th line role and PK. It's not a disaster to have added Spalling and Comeau.

Cut some deals with the RFAs and see where we are.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dukeharris on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:39 pm

Exactly!
dukeharris

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:41 pm

I think the problem with Kulemin is that he isn't that good. Colby Armstrong would be less expensive, they should get him.

Armstrong - Crosby - Hilbert
Kunitz - Malkin - Hornqvist
Spaling - Sutter - Dupuis
Comeau - Sill - Bennett

Martin - Letang
Maatta - Ehrhoff
Despres - Ric Jackman
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:54 pm

jimjom wrote:News flash: This team is worse now than it was in May.

news flash: this team is still three months away from its first game
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:54 pm

All GMJR did today was sign the best available D-man to a cost effective contract.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins