Press Conference at 3

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Press Conference at 3

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:30 pm

They really need to get another top 6 guy on the cheap (Stempniak type). I do not want to see Dupuis on Sid or Geno's wing.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:30 pm

Beveridge wrote:3:30 PM July 1 - Let's give up on the year.

Same time next year, everyone?

I think it's more that we need to expect that something will be done via a trade, and not that the year is over already. Though, as is right now, would anyone here really say this is a stanley cup caliber team?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Grunthy on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:32 pm

Its three **** ing hours into FA. You guys are nuts.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Trip McNeely on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:32 pm

The scuderi contract is an albatross right now
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:33 pm

Grunthy wrote:Its three **** ing hours into FA. You guys are nuts.

FIRE EVERYONE!
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:34 pm

Trip McNeely wrote:The scuderi contract is an albatross right now

At least we didn't sign Engellend or Orpik...
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby Trip McNeely on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:34 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:

Yea true. If somehow JR can swing a trade to open up cap space and sign a decent top 6 guy, our team would look much much better at the start of the season.
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby neophool on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:35 pm

well, at least we didn't pay Orpik 5+ million for 5 years. yeesh
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:36 pm

When will it be over for you?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:37 pm

Trip McNeely wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:

Yea true. If somehow JR can swing a trade to open up cap space and sign a decent top 6 guy, our team would look much much better at the start of the season.

Yes. I think we should expect it. As is right now we'll be icing several AHL guys at F to start the year, especially if Dupuis and Bennett aren't ready.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:39 pm

Yeah... last year everyone was all over me because I didn't like Bennett on the top two... now his spot is a "glaring hole" for someone reason. These bandwagons come and go too fast for me to keep up. Dupuis is not getting paid $3.75M to NOT play on the top 6. So, including Bennett and Dupuis that is 6 names for the top 6. Sutter and Spalding will be 2 of the 3rd line... leaving 1 spot. ONE SPOT! Even if you push one of Bennett or Dupuis to the 3rd line that is still ONE SPOT open in the top 9. One spot... in July.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:40 pm

I dont see anyone freaking out.

People are voicing concerns of holes we have and pointing out in our top 6 the two open slots for wingers are filled by Dupuis who wasnt playing well before a bad injury and who knows if he will be ready, and then Bennett who keeps getting injured and might not start the season.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:41 pm

sil wrote:
Yes. I think we should expect it. As is right now we'll be icing several AHL guys at F to start the year, especially if Dupuis and Bennett aren't ready.

To translate: "As is right now we'll be icing several who would be in the ECHL in most organizations but are in the AHL in this one at F to start the year, especially if Dupuis and Bennett aren't ready.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Grunthy on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:41 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:

People are voicing concerns of holes we have and pointing out in our top 6 the two open slots for wingers are filled by Dupuis who wasnt playing well before a bad injury and who knows if he will be ready, and then Bennett who keeps getting injured and might not start the season.

Oh no we have holes to fill 4 hours into FA. Oh the humanity!
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:42 pm

The first line was definitely worse without Duper.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:42 pm

I'd actually be happier if Bennett wasn't on the roster and they couldn't keep hoping beyond hope that he will amount to anything.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kharlamov on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:42 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:

Honestly, until we see what Hornqvist can do (and hopefully do well), the top 6 winger thing is going to be the new ongoing complaint for a while because James Neal was traded away.
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:47 pm

Jim wrote:Yeah... last year everyone was all over me because I didn't like Bennett on the top two... now his spot is a "glaring hole" for someone reason. These bandwagons come and go too fast for me to keep up. Dupuis is not getting paid $3.75M to NOT play on the top 6. So, including Bennett and Dupuis that is 6 names for the top 6. Sutter and Spalding will be 2 of the 3rd line... leaving 1 spot. ONE SPOT! Even if you push one of Bennett or Dupuis to the 3rd line that is still ONE SPOT open in the top 9. One spot... in July.

First of all no one knows if Dupuis will be 100% and he wasnt playing well before he was hurt. We dont even know if he will be ready to start and we dont know if Beau will start the season. So no, it is not just ONE hole, there are a few holes until there is solid news on injuries.

So what happens when Beau comes back and gets injured again since he cant seem to stay healthy? Who do we have in the forward department to fill that top 6 role? No one said it has to be filled today but there are holes in this roster.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:50 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:
Jim wrote:Yeah... last year everyone was all over me because I didn't like Bennett on the top two... now his spot is a "glaring hole" for someone reason. These bandwagons come and go too fast for me to keep up. Dupuis is not getting paid $3.75M to NOT play on the top 6. So, including Bennett and Dupuis that is 6 names for the top 6. Sutter and Spalding will be 2 of the 3rd line... leaving 1 spot. ONE SPOT! Even if you push one of Bennett or Dupuis to the 3rd line that is still ONE SPOT open in the top 9. One spot... in July.

First of all no one knows if Dupuis will be 100% and he wasnt playing well before he was hurt. We dont even know if he will be ready to start and we dont know if Beau will start the season. So no, it is not just ONE hole, there are a few holes until there is solid news on injuries.

So what happens when Beau comes back and gets injured again since he cant seem to stay healthy? Who do we have in the forward department to fill that top 6 role? No one said it has to be filled today but there are holes in this roster.

You don't make a high $ (top 6) signing because you expect someone to miss October. That is just not how it is done. That would actually be a stupid move, like Engo for $3M stupid or Orpik for $5.5 stupid.

So we sign a high $ top 6 winger and Crosby or Malkin go out... then what do we do? I mean, if you are going to play what ifs... What if they both go down? and Bennett... and Dupuis... and Kunitz... What if our entire current roster gets hurt?

One spot open on the top 9... in July.
Last edited by Jim on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens4Life on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:51 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:

No Kulemin for Geno,soo they will promote Zlobin or maybe now even Kuenhackl with all the Germans invasion now. :D
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BuckintheLou on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:55 pm

It's okay to have concerns. But, please stop the madness! :scared: It's well known that FHMFIC left the new HMFIC without a pot to pi$$ in or a window to throw it out of.
However, JR may be working a deal(s) and don't want to show his hand. One positive thing is knowing that he's an old dude (no offense)
and old dudes have a tendency to think things through. I'd say he's well aware of the holes and I would hope he'd do his best to fill them. If, when it's all over
and our holes are still there....well shame on me :cry: .
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:00 pm

Jim wrote:
iWonTheCup87 wrote:

You don't make a high $ (top 6) signing because you expect someone to miss October. That is just not how it is done. That would actually be a stupid move, like Engo for $3M stupid or Orpik for $5.5 stupid.

So we sign a high $ top 6 winger and Crosby or Malkin go out... then what do we do? I mean, if you are going to play what ifs... What if they both go down? and Bennett... and Dupuis... and Kunitz... What if our entire current roster gets hurt?

One spot open on the top 9... in July.

It is ONLY one spot open if these other players are HEALTHY. Which no ONE knows at this point and most think Beau will miss a month or so.

No one said they had to sign someone for 6 million a year, they should find a way to trade someone else like Scuderi for another winger at 3-4 million a year.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jimjom on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:05 pm

I know that you were kidding P4L, but Kunackl will never sniff the NHL. He's barely an ECHL player, very intimidated by bigger players. Soff.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:05 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:[It is ONLY one spot open if these other players are HEALTHY. Which no ONE knows at this point and most think Beau will miss a month or so.

No one said they had to sign someone for 6 million a year, they should find a way to trade someone else like Scuderi for another winger at 3-4 million a year.

My point is that Crosby and Malkin are not exactly ironmen either. So anyone can get hurt.

And to you trade idea... who the ruddy-poo would trade a potential top 6 winger for Scuderi? Seriously... Shut the PlayStation off because it is LIEING to you. You are MAJORILY assuming that someone would want Scuderi and his $3.75 salary. Even just for a #7 pick. No one, NO ONE, wants him. He is a Penguin. Accept it.

And... One open spot in the top 9... in July.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jimjom on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:11 pm

News flash: This team is worse now than it was in May.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins