Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:42 pm

supercanaan
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,374
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: SETEC Astronomy

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby bhaw on Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:57 am

columbia wrote:Downie seems ready to compete and sacrifice his body; the Pens have been lacking that, to some extent.


Yup. Need guys to pave the way and remind the old guard what it's like.

For anyone comparing Downie's behavior to Neal's, the rationale is simple: Neal was paid a lot of money to score goals, not be a scumbag on the ice. Downie is paid a lot less to be an agitator and, if required, a scumbag. If Downie isn't suspended, you aren't losing a major piece of your team. Also, I think it was mentioned, but Downie has managed to stay out of trouble for quite a while.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,003
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby Jim on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:45 am

It is the obvious intent to injure that I do not like. Be gritty and agitate all that you like... just take the intent to injure out of it.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,725
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby no name on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:56 am

So on the fence about this guy, just glad we got Tocchet to keep him inline. Over all i thnk Downie will do more good than bad. but he is such a wild card type its hard not to think he could cost us a couple games with stupid penalties.

He does have outside potential to play top line minutes (but i like just the idea of him playing protected minutes with Geno and SId to watch their backs.

Over all and one of the most important things is his signing contributes to the overall culture change on the Penguins, its something we need. Just like the Neal trade it makes us a tougher grittier team to play against.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,036
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:03 am

I understand what people mean and agree with it, but seeing "Tocchet to keep him in line" is funny to me.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,195
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby offsides on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:06 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I understand what people mean and agree with it, but seeing "Tocchet to keep him in line" is funny to me.

Excellent point. Tocchet might actually tell him who on the other team needs an attitude adjustment. Hopefully SD will not cross the line just to impress.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,475
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby pcm on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:13 am

The comment "No one will ever take liberties against our stars this year" from Dowine comes across as a little over-the-top. Kinda reminds me of Team America... "I promise, I will never die."
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,322
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 am

We will live forever or die by suicide!
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,466
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby Humperdink on Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:42 pm

offsides wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I understand what people mean and agree with it, but seeing "Tocchet to keep him in line" is funny to me.

Excellent point. Tocchet might actually tell him who on the other team needs an attitude adjustment. Hopefully SD will not cross the line just to impress.


After watching Downie for a few years, I figure that "line" to be about 85' wide.
Humperdink
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby pronovost19 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:41 pm

He plays with grit. He gets it. He cares. He wants to WIN! He COMPETES! Great value at 1 million.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,144
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:22 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:24 am

Yeah we'll see. 20+ goals with Stamkos is promising injuries and suspensions aside.

At least in the playoffs they can put him on Sid's wing if things get chippy without worrying about performance.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,374
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: SETEC Astronomy

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby no name on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:54 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I understand what people mean and agree with it, but seeing "Tocchet to keep him in line" is funny to me.


i do wonder if Downie took into concideration that Tocchet was here or if Rick suggested we sign him. Or if he just thought this was a good fit for him at the right price. Hell maybe we were the best offer he got.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,036
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:02 am

no name wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I understand what people mean and agree with it, but seeing "Tocchet to keep him in line" is funny to me.


i do wonder if Downie took into concideration that Tocchet was here or if Rick suggested we sign him. Or if he just thought this was a good fit for him at the right price. Hell maybe we were the best offer he got.


I thought the Pens were pretty open that Tocchet was the one pushing for the signing? Maybe that's just more Pgh radio saying stuff just to hear themselves talk.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,877
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby no name on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:06 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:
no name wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I understand what people mean and agree with it, but seeing "Tocchet to keep him in line" is funny to me.


i do wonder if Downie took into concideration that Tocchet was here or if Rick suggested we sign him. Or if he just thought this was a good fit for him at the right price. Hell maybe we were the best offer he got.


I thought the Pens were pretty open that Tocchet was the one pushing for the signing? Maybe that's just more Pgh radio saying stuff just to hear themselves talk.


I never heard anything on why or whos idea it was, but i like the fact he had his bet season under Tocchet and both are reunited again with us. I have grown to really like this signing, Downie has that reputation and i think that hurts him just because his name is Downie.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,036
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:15 pm

no name wrote:i think that hurts him just because his name is Downie.


That name hurts him because that Downie guy has done some really dirty ****. :lol:
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,253
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby offsides on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:16 pm

I'm afraid this will end up being another Cooke situation where the refs simply call penalties on Downie because of the reputation, not because of a real penalty.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,475
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:20 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
no name wrote:i think that hurts him just because his name is Downie.


That name hurts him because that Downie guy has done some really dirty ****. :lol:


:lol: Yeah, this reputation that he has is on merit, for sure.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,818
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:21 pm

offsides wrote:I'm afraid this will end up being another Cooke situation where the refs simply call penalties on Downie because of the reputation, not because of a real penalty.


That will also happen, might as well get used to it now. But he takes a lot of dumb penalties himself, all the time. So, you plant corn, you grow corn.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,818
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby no name on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:52 pm

mikey287 wrote:
offsides wrote:I'm afraid this will end up being another Cooke situation where the refs simply call penalties on Downie because of the reputation, not because of a real penalty.


That will also happen, might as well get used to it now. But he takes a lot of dumb penalties himself, all the time. So, you plant corn, you grow corn.


Yeah even if Downie puts a halo on this year he will still get called for a ton of things. Oh well got to take the good with the bad. Really going to fustrate me when the refs call a penalty on the other team and downie jumps in and evens up the situation by going to the box. I loved when he played for another team you could always count on him to even things up and do something stupid.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,036
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby Pitts on Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:38 pm

no name wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
offsides wrote:I'm afraid this will end up being another Cooke situation where the refs simply call penalties on Downie because of the reputation, not because of a real penalty.


That will also happen, might as well get used to it now. But he takes a lot of dumb penalties himself, all the time. So, you plant corn, you grow corn.


Yeah even if Downie puts a halo on this year he will still get called for a ton of things. Oh well got to take the good with the bad. Really going to fustrate me when the refs call a penalty on the other team and downie jumps in and evens up the situation by going to the box. I loved when he played for another team you could always count on him to even things up and do something stupid.

But, I don't care. I want that question mark on our team. I want other players to always wonder if he's there. I want them targeting him and getting off their game. The Pens have missed Matt Cooke more than they know.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,674
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:57 pm

People "love" Hartnell making stupid penalties too, but he would make any team better. I don't know about Downie making any team better, but I definitely think he'll make the Pens better.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,195
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby DelPen on Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:17 pm

Has he really been as bad as Neal or Malkin in taking dumb penalties? Every once in a while a penalty is worth taking as long as you get your point across. I'll take a guy who crosses the line with a rough or cross check that gets in the head of the other team over lazy hooks or interference any day.

Are their stats tracked on players penalties that end up in goals against?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,919
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:04 pm

DelPen wrote:Has he really been as bad as Neal or Malkin in taking dumb penalties? Every once in a while a penalty is worth taking as long as you get your point across. I'll take a guy who crosses the line with a rough or cross check that gets in the head of the other team over lazy hooks or interference any day.

Are their stats tracked on players penalties that end up in goals against?


Yeah but there's a difference between a penalty and a oh-my-god-he-almost-ended-his-career penalty. I loved Cooke but he was a latter kind of guy. Hopefully Downie doesn't stay in that category with us.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,304
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 pm
Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby the wicked child on Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:35 pm

He will probably take a few extra penalties for being Steve Downie. However, if he curtails some of the bs that Crosby and Malkin have to endure because the other team knows that we have someone who will make them or a teammate suffer dearly, they are worth it... assuming he doesn't end up w/ a match penalty that costs them a series or something. I don't know that you want him skating in the top 6 regularly, but he shouldn't hurt them significantly if they insert him there for a shift or two to put an end to any crap the other team tries stirring up.

I am warming up to this signing. Of course, if he pulls a Cooke and just takes someone out for no reason whatsoever and gets himself suspended for half the year, I reserve the right to amend said opinion. ;)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,726
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby no name on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:10 am

Idoit40fans wrote:People "love" Hartnell making stupid penalties too, but he would make any team better. I don't know about Downie making any team better, but I definitely think he'll make the Pens better.


Damn i would of loved Hartnell in a Pens sweater, to bad Colombis got him, of course we didn't have a Umberger to give up for him.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,036
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


e-mail