Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby Sigwolf on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:08 am

no name wrote:Downie has only played one full season (79 games) the rest have been around 59 games. Had 22 goals in that season and that was under Tochett. Personally i am mixed on this, yes he is servicable and can play and i love adgitators and what they bring. But he has a history of taking stupid penalties that goes you games, and penalties that will cost him games. If Tochett can get him "under control" i love what he will bring to the team. I can see him getting spot duty with Sid cause i don't see that guy aloowing anyone to get close to him. Espicially with Tochett breathing down his neck letting him know when some one is getting under Sids skin.

Not exactly showing the full picture... The 79 game season was 2009-2010, which was his first full-time NHL season. We've only had four seasons since then. One of those wasn't a full season due to the lockout (which he missed anyway due to a torn ACL). In 2011-2012 he played 75 games, that seams pretty close to a full season to me. So, since becoming a full time NHL'er, he's played 79, 57, 75, & 62 games (excluding the lockout year).

I'm not convinced signing him was a good idea, but I understand why it was done. I don't, however, see any reason he can't play a full season or close to it. The stupid penalties are definitely an issue, but hopefully that can be somewhat contained.

I guess I'm still spinning trying to figure out Eismann's comparison to Nasreddine, a career minor leaguer who never had a full NHL season and managed only 74 NHL games total over 10 seasons... :scared:
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:31 am

PghSkins wrote:
Caputi19 wrote:Flyer games just got more exciting ;)

Downie better watch his butt

Especially if Giroux drops the gloves.
Humperdink
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:48 am

For all the folks who wanted James Neal traded, due to his inert dirty ways, what can you say about the
signing of Steve Downie?

Not thrilled. An element of hockey, but I didn't see a Downie - type on the Kings.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:52 am

I wanted Neal traded because he's a flawed, incomplete player, but I can speak to that. I already have on the first page of this thread.

Downie plays on the edge and thats great until he goes over the edge. Neal doesn't play anywhere near the edge and is solely a shooter and then randomly makes a suspension worthy play.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:53 am

lol, you don't see a Crosby or Malkin type on the Kings either, should we get rid of them because of that?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:55 am

The Kings' captain is a more skilled downie type.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:56 am

Steve Downie will have to win me over. :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:57 am

Now that we have posters wanting Downie on the top line, I guess the Cup is ours. I could possibly (as usual) be wrong, but Downie playing on our top line seems really far fetched to me.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the riddler on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:59 am

penny lane wrote:For all the folks who wanted James Neal traded, due to his inert dirty ways, what can you say about the
signing of Steve Downie?

Not thrilled. An element of hockey, but I didn't see a Downie - type on the Kings.

I think it's a fair point. Neal took a lot of heat here for his suspensions. There's no question of what kind of player Downie has been for most of his career. He's probably more prone to go over the line than Cooke or Ruutu. It'll be interesting to see if he keeps himself in check but he hasn't been suspended in awhile so maybe he's trying to change his game. Which makes sense, because if he resorts back to his old ways he won't be in the league much longer.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Avyran on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:05 pm

count2infinity wrote:lol, you don't see a Crosby or Malkin type on the Kings either, should we get rid of them because of that?

Just out of curiosity, you don't see Kopitar fitting that sort of mold? Especially in comparison to Malkin.
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:10 pm

He played best under Tocchet. Tocchet appreciated his work ethic and passion. How many remember what type of player Tocchet was in his early years? I suspect Tocchet sees a lot of himself in Downie. Most everybody loved the inclusion of Tocchet to the coaching staff, including myself. This is clearly his stamp on the roster. Hopefully, Downie rewards his faith in him.

Here is an article from 1988. About Tocchet being suspended for 10 games for trying to gouge the eye out of Dean Chynoweth. Perhaps Rick can overlook a few errors in judgement. :)

http://articles.philly.com/1988-10-28/s ... -sandstrom
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:19 pm

penny lane wrote:For all the folks who wanted James Neal traded, due to his inert dirty ways, what can you say about the
signing of Steve Downie?

I give this signing a thumbs down.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:24 pm

I speak only for myself, but I have a somewhat unorthodox view of this. I'm more accepting of suspensions from role players than I am from stars. Neal was getting paid $5 million to score goals and make the offense better. His game did not include being a pest and an agitator that involves walking the line. When he turned dirty, it was out of nowhere and had nothing to do with the game. Guys like Downie, Cooke, Brown, etc. play with an edge to their game night in and night out, shift after shift. When you play that way, walking the line between clean and dirty, occasionally you cross that line. It comes with the territory. And, when it's a role player, the loss during suspension is much less damaging than the loss when a star is out of the lineup.

I don't like dirty hockey. I don't want to see Downie cross the line, especially if a player ends up hurt. But I do like players who play close to that line. It makes opponents keep their heads up and play a bit more tentatively. Downie hasn't been suspended for a few years, so let's give him the benefit of the doubt, just as we wanted the rest of the NHL to give Cooke the benefit of the doubt after her reformed.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:33 pm

longtimefan wrote:He played best under Tocchet. Tocchet appreciated his work ethic and passion. How many remember what type of player Tocchet was in his early years? I suspect Tocchet sees a lot of himself in Downie. Most everybody loved the inclusion of Tocchet to the coaching staff, including myself. This is clearly his stamp on the roster. Hopefully, Downie rewards his faith in him.

Yep. Tocchet was the one who pushed to sign Downie. If you don't have faith in this pickup, you don't have faith in Rick Tocchet. I'm willing to give it a try simply because of the Tocchet factor.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby headh on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Defence21 wrote:I speak only for myself, but I have a somewhat unorthodox view of this. I'm more accepting of suspensions from role players than I am from stars. Neal was getting paid $5 million to score goals and make the offense better. His game did not include being a pest and an agitator that involves walking the line. When he turned dirty, it was out of nowhere and had nothing to do with the game. Guys like Downie, Cooke, Brown, etc. play with an edge to their game night in and night out, shift after shift. When you play that way, walking the line between clean and dirty, occasionally you cross that line. It comes with the territory. And, when it's a role player, the loss during suspension is much less damaging than the loss when a star is out of the lineup.

I don't like dirty hockey. I don't want to see Downie cross the line, especially if a player ends up hurt. But I do like players who play close to that line. It makes opponents keep their heads up and play a bit more tentatively. Downie hasn't been suspended for a few years, so let's give him the benefit of the doubt, just as we wanted the rest of the NHL to give Cooke the benefit of the doubt after her reformed.

I completely agree. Neal should be on the ice to score. That's what he brings to the party.

Guys like Ulfie, Cooke and Talbot get into the other team's head because they consistently bring an intensity that the other team better not ignore or they might get hurt. That wasn't Neal's on ice reputation. His reputation was as the boob willing to take the bait of guys like Talbot and Cook and go sit in the box.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby helmespc on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:47 pm

I am kind of liking this signing. He certainly has the ability to be a pest (something last years team sorely lacked) and has shown that with the right guidance he can chip in with some scoring, which can't hurt on the 3rd/4th line. He's also played on some pretty decent teams in the past. I'm willing to give him a shot.
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:49 pm

offsides wrote:Now that we have posters wanting Downie on the top line, I guess the Cup is ours. I could possibly (as usual) be wrong, but Downie playing on our top line seems really far fetched to me.

He did fairly well playing with St. Louis and Stamkos. Not far-fetched at all. Historically, it worked pretty well. He posted high-quality offensive numbers with only slightly sub-par defensive numbers that were on pace with Stamkos/St. Louis as a whole.

Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:51 pm

I'm not sure what those axes are measuring, but I'm not surprised to see Adam Hall at the bottom.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Eismann on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:52 pm

Before this trade, did anyone say "ya know who would be a nice additition to the Pens, and maybe even play with Crosby or Malkin? Steve Downie." I'm talking hockey folks, media types, people here, everyone. Clearly, Tocchet did, but others?

And the team, any team, needs grit and talent. I don't see Downie's talent keeping him afloat. Grit? Meh, we'll see.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:57 pm

columbia wrote:I'm not sure what those axes are measuring, but I'm not surprised to see Adam Hall at the bottom.

It was dumb of me to not explain this. HARO = Hockey Analysis Rating Offense. HARD = Hockey Analysis Rating Defense.

http://hockeyanalysis.com/2013/04/11/ho ... alculated/
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:08 pm

Thanks for the info Jesse, but Downie will still have to prove to me he deserves to be on our top line with Sid. When everyone was suggesting a winger for Sid, I'm betting Downie's name was never mentioned. At least I don't remember any hockey person saying it.

EDIT: Then again for a mere million, I'm not expecting all that much. Waiting to be pleasantly surprised\shocked.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ar5 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:03 pm

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib 14m
Just spoke with Steve Downie. "There will not be liberties taken against our star players in Pittsburgh."
ar5
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ar5 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:03 pm

Downie is a loaded pistol. You mess w/ Crosby, u may get a concussion. you might get sent out on a stretcher. Play Russian Roulette and find out.
ar5
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:05 pm

ar5 wrote:Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib 14m
Just spoke with Steve Downie. "There will not be liberties taken against our star players in Pittsburgh."

It's been a little while since we have had someone with this grit and energy. I love that tweet. I think if he is healthy, he is going to have a big year....The Tocchet connection can't be minimized.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby iceolater on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:06 pm

ar5 wrote:Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib 14m

Like Staal Crosschecking the back of Sid's neck in the playoffs and not getting anything for it. Well Mr. Downie will take notice...no more cheap shots without paying the Piper!
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins