Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Steve Downie to Pittsburgh

Postby offsides on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:07 pm

iceolater wrote:
ar5 wrote:Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib 14m
Just spoke with Steve Downie. "There will not be liberties taken against our star players in Pittsburgh."

Like Staal Crosschecking the back of Sid's neck in the playoffs and not getting anything for it. Well Mr. Downie will take notice...no more cheap shots without paying the Piper!

Until he is suspended for 20 or so games.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ar5 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:12 pm

offsides wrote:
iceolater wrote:
Just spoke with Steve Downie. "There will not be liberties taken against our star players in Pittsburgh."

Like Staal Crosschecking the back of Sid's neck in the playoffs and not getting anything for it. Well Mr. Downie will take notice...no more cheap shots without paying the Piper!

True. But when he comes back, it's "DOWNIE TIME" yet again.
ar5
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby topshelf on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:12 pm

offsides wrote:
iceolater wrote:

Yeah, hopefully he can uphold that statement while remaining on the right side of the law.

The best part of that is this mentality can be infectious. We'll need a lot more than just Downie creating space for players, and if he leads the way, others will follow.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby She'sTheFastest on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:28 pm

A big part of letting Cooke walk was the notion that his presence may jeopardize the health of the Pens' star players, namely Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Then, with Cooke gone, opposing teams still took liberties with these guys. Bringing Downie in was simply a way of saying enough is enough. Thus while you all may not agree with this deal, there is certainly justification for it.

Also, I bought an autographed Tocchet card from the flea market in North Versailles. It was only a quarter. I did good.
She'sTheFastest
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Willie Kool on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:43 pm

topshelf wrote:The best part of that is this mentality can be infectious. We'll need a lot more than just Downie creating space for players, and if he leads the way, others will follow.

:thumb:

The year they won the Cup, it was so infectious that this happened:

Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:13 pm

I want to be a fan of this signing but I don't want Downie to go full scumbag. In don't want a rehashing of scumbag Cooke.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:03 pm

I'm awaiting Downie vs. Or-Pek
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:28 pm

You never go full scumbag
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Karmannsport on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:04 pm

Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, it's forgivable to go full scumbag
Karmannsport

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:17 pm

Exactly the opposite of Orpik leaving. This time my hockey sense likes it and my fan side hates it.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:57 am

http://triblive.com/mobile/6391830-96/d ... ng-hearing
Lost 55% of his hearing last year on top of his concussion. Yet still managed 62 games. Impressive.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:18 am

Strange how everyone mentions Ulf and Cooke and seemingly forgets the Pens also had Darius Kasparitus who really punked-out 66 one playoff series and was just as nasty as the other two.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:13 am

Willie Kool wrote:
topshelf wrote:The best part of that is this mentality can be infectious. We'll need a lot more than just Downie creating space for players, and if he leads the way, others will follow.

And this...

Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:20 am

Willie Kool wrote:

What a great moment. :lol:
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:30 am

topshelf wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:

What a great moment. :lol:

Definitely one of my favorite memories from the playoffs that year. A grinning :twisted: Satan :twisted: pummeling the crap out of the opposition.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:51 am

Its going to be interesting to hear what Errey & Steigy will have to say about the Downie signing. I just re-watched the clip where Downie takes down Crosby from behind with a slew-foot / Knee Buckle move. I believe Downie got 2 mins in game and a subsequent $5000 fine from the NHL for it. Garage league.

Steigy: "That's one of the dirtier plays we've seen, against Sid, in his career."
Errey: "Ohhh, I don't know if I even want to see that one again".

Hypothetical Question for fun: If a guy did that to Sid/Geno when Downie was playing on their wing, WWDD (What would Downie Do)?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:52 am

Errey loves the Downie signing
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:06 am

Thats confirmation that its a good one.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:12 am

I think the Pens adding Comeau and Downie instantly makes Milbury and JR hate the Penguins a little less. They love those types of players.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:15 am

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:I think the Pens adding Comeau and Downie instantly makes Milbury and JR hate the Penguins a little less. They love those types of players.

You would think they would love Orpik too but Milbury would always call him one of thendirtiesr players in the league. They're gonna have a fieldnday with Downie now that he's a Pen.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:34 am

Downie seems ready to compete and sacrifice his body; the Pens have been lacking that, to some extent.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Paul Baxter on Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:38 am

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
PensFaninRegina wrote:Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m
Steve Downie agrees to terms on one-year, $1M deal with PIT. #TSN

Thank you Rick Tocchet. :thumb:

Downie had a tough year last season injury wise, but if he is healthy and on a one year deal, it is hard not to like this.

They need some nasty and he will bring it.

You're right again, Chirpin'! :fist:
Paul Baxter
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:41 am

columbia wrote:Downie seems ready to compete and sacrifice his body; the Pens have been lacking that, to some extent.

To some extent? The Pens didn't seem to want to sacrifice anything. The only players all season who sacrificed were the call-ups to try and stay.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Paul Baxter on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:10 am

She'sTheFastest wrote:A big part of letting Cooke walk was the notion that his presence may jeopardize the health of the Pens' star players, namely Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Then, with Cooke gone, opposing teams still took liberties with these guys. Bringing Downie in was simply a way of saying enough is enough. Thus while you all may not agree with this deal, there is certainly justification for it.

Also, I bought an autographed Tocchet card from the flea market in North Versailles. It was only a quarter. I did good.

Wait. You're saying that a big part of letting Cooke go was that his presence on the team may jeopardize the health of Crosby and Malkin?!?!? Are you kidding me? That's the first time I've ever heard that and I certainly don't believe it. The reason why Crosby gets abused so much is because the Pens don't have enough tough players like Cooke!!

And your comment that "Bringing Downie in was simply a way of saying enough is enough" underlies a lack of understanding about the way hockey has been played for the last 80 years or so. Physical toughness and intimidation has always been a factor in the NHL. Always. In the immortal words of former Maple Leafs owner Conn Smythe: "If you can't beat them in the alley, you can't beat them on the ice." That famous quote is overly simplistic, but it's basic point is true. Hockey is a very physical sport and you need physical, tough players on your team as well as skill in order to win championships. The Penguins had that toughness to complement their skill when they won their cups in 1991 & 1992 and in 2009. Last year's Penguins team was relatively soft. And I don't want to hear that they had toughness with Tanner Glass, because Tanner is the ultimate "pseudo" tough guy. He gets his a** kicked every time he gets into a fight and no one fears him at all. Very happy to see him go. I was NOT happy to see Matt Cooke go. Cooke is the perfect third-line winger. I hope the Pens can get two or three more Matt Cookes. Hopefully, Steve Downie will be the Pens new Matt Cooke. :twisted:

Anyway, glad you got a good deal on your new Tocchet card! :D
Paul Baxter
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby superconan on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:36 pm

They turned to a man they didn't fully understand.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins