Sid is having wrist surgery

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Sid is having wrist surgery

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:27 am

llipgh2 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:The first day after the playoffs all injuries get revealed. They certainly don't come out and say "no, Im completely healthy". This was an extremely bizarre way of handling this injury.

I'm fine with the way it was handled. If this came out immediately afterwards, it would have been seen as excuse making. "Poor Cindy has a boo boo on his wrist..., blah, blah, blah".

Yeah, it worked out much better this way.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:33 am

Will he be ready to go in October? Yes? Fine. I don't care. Move on.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:46 am

topshelf wrote:
JarkkoVision wrote:People turned their backs on the captain. Kudos to the ones who didn't.

Never have, never will. Crosby is far and away the best player in the NHL and his work ethic and passion for the game is unmatched. The negativity/whining that went on about Crosby's play was downright embarrassing, and I'm gonna love reading this thread this afternoon. 8-)

This holier-than-thou hindsight crap is downright embarrassing. I apologize for criticizing our captain when both he and management were insisting he was 100% healthy. I will promptly report to Captain Crosby to receive my 40 lashes.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:48 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
topshelf wrote:
JarkkoVision wrote:People turned their backs on the captain. Kudos to the ones who didn't.

Never have, never will. Crosby is far and away the best player in the NHL and his work ethic and passion for the game is unmatched. The negativity/whining that went on about Crosby's play was downright embarrassing, and I'm gonna love reading this thread this afternoon. 8-)

This holier-than-thou hindsight crap is downright embarrassing. I apologize for criticizing our captain when both he and management were insisting he was 100% healthy. I will promptly report to Captain Crosby to receive my 40 lashes.

You should be ashamed for not accepting the universally known fact that he had a groin injury.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:11 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:The first day after the playoffs all injuries get revealed. They certainly don't come out and say "no, Im completely healthy". This was an extremely bizarre way of handling this injury.

I'm fine with the way it was handled. If this came out immediately afterwards, it would have been seen as excuse making. "Poor Cindy has a boo boo on his wrist..., blah, blah, blah".

Probably worked out the same.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IanMoran on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:14 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:

I think it was more so (pure speculation, he didn't know for sure at that point / it was just bothering him / thought he'd rehab it some and he'd be fine), which explains why he waited so long in the off-season.

The announced injuries are usually something that can be classified. This year it was:

- Beau, needs surgery
- Letang, had a broken foot / hand
- Pictures of Jokinen shaking everyone's hand with his left hand because couldn't use his right.

At the time, Crosby didn't have anything like that. I'm sure if he had surgery scheduled for next week (like BB), it would have been announced then. I think I even remember Crosby saying something about just the normal "bumps and bruises" everyone has.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:20 am

IanMoran wrote:I just seriously never understood the questions of Crosby’s heart / effort, etc.. I was the first to say he didn’t look anything like the Crosby we’ve come to love, but some of the stuff people were statingwas ridiculous… I can’t think of a more high-effort, leave everything out there / work-effort guy than 87. Hope this doesn’t linger… seems like every time there’s a “minor surgery” that shouldn’t cause someone to be out long, it ends up becoming a bigger deal

How did his wrist affect his skating on the back check?? He was on the ice for crucial game 7 and OT goals against and often it was his guy scoring the goal or with the primary assist.

The lack of point production may be explained away, though it raises huge questions about Bylsma's "strategy".

The wrist doesn't explain away his atrocious decision making and puck management. He should have simplified his game and we should not have seen the insane cross rink passes attempted.

His effort was still suspect and the evidence is readily apparent; watch the goals against that were scored with 87 on the ice.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:22 am

there can be residual affects of an injury like this. the discomfort can be distracting to a degree that it affects your decision making.

i don't know if it could explain why his skating wasn't up to par, though.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:23 am

He was asked point blank if he was healthy and he said yes. Many times. I don't care about knowing when people are injured and I don't care if someone has a bad couple of series when they're healthy. It happens. I just think that if you care about your image (as the team or as the individual player) then this was completely botched.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IanMoran on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:26 am

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
IanMoran wrote:I just seriously never understood the questions of Crosby’s heart / effort, etc.. I was the first to say he didn’t look anything like the Crosby we’ve come to love, but some of the stuff people were statingwas ridiculous… I can’t think of a more high-effort, leave everything out there / work-effort guy than 87. Hope this doesn’t linger… seems like every time there’s a “minor surgery” that shouldn’t cause someone to be out long, it ends up becoming a bigger deal

How did his wrist affect his skating on the back check?? He was on the ice for crucial game 7 and OT goals against and often it was his guy scoring the goal or with the primary assist.

The lack of point production may be explained away, though it raises huge questions about Bylsma's "strategy".

The wrist doesn't explain away his atrocious decision making and puck management. He should have simplified his game and we should not have seen the insane cross rink passes attempted.

His effort was still suspect and the evidence is readily apparent; watch the goals against that were scored with 87 on the ice.

I really don't remember all this terrible back checking everyone references tbh (maybe I'm wrong, but I don't). I remember dominant possession numbers, but a player who clearly couldn't handle the puck like he used to / shoot, pass, etc all seemed affected, which resulted in less points...
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby count2infinity on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:26 am

I don't blame him for saying he was healthy if he was injured. Don't let the opponent know you're hurt and certainly don't let them know specifically where you're hurt. I don't blame people believing he was fully healthy and questioning what's going on with him if he is healthy during the playoffs. You people are entertaining, I'll give you that. ib4 "what do you mean 'you people'?"
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:28 am

When people are talking about him lying about being injured, am I the only one talking about the numerous times he said it after the playoffs ended for the Pens? I am confused by the responses about him letting the opponents know anything.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:29 am

I thought you were talking about during the playoffs.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Avyran on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:29 am

Idoit40fans wrote:When people are talking about him lying about being injured, am I the only one talking about the numerous times he said it after the playoffs ended for the Pens? I am confused by the responses about him letting the opponents know anything.

That's exactly why I was confused as well, and why I posted earlier in the thread.
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:41 am

And that's why I said (I'm assuming) that he probably thought it was just sore and nothing was wrong. You can feel sore but still be "healthy".

It's probably nagged him since the playoffs were over and he decided to recently get it checked, only to now find out there was legitimately something wrong.

Players play through soreness all the time. I'm really not that surprised he thought he was healthy, given what we know thus far.
Last edited by MRandall25 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:41 am

I'm outraged! He still hasn't told the truth, this information isn't coming from him. And did he chop down the cherry tree or not? Still don't have an answer there.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby She'sTheFastest on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:43 am

I for one noted that he wore #87 throughout the playoffs and would continue to do so next season. Who's not eating his words?! This guy 8-)
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Desiato on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:57 am

I'm concerned. I hope Sid is alright.

Teams and players have multiple reasons for not disclosing injuries. This should be well understood by anyone following hockey for more than a couple of years. It varies player to player, organization to organization.

Here's the first result of a quick google search on the topic:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/l ... re/1202747

I wish you would take a moment to learn more about a topic before unduly trashing the Stanley Cup champion captain of the team you profess to be fans of. And turn off the radio. A lot of you actually disgust me.

That Sid did not disclose the injury is a total non-story. That his wrist is injured is major news. But that's hard to tell by the reactions here.
Last edited by Desiato on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GDR on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:08 pm

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:How did his wrist affect his skating on the back check?? He was on the ice for crucial game 7 and OT goals against and often it was his guy scoring the goal or with the primary assist.

:thumb:
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:12 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
topshelf wrote:

What's even more embarrassing is all of the whining and entitlement that took place here during the playoffs and subsequent weeks after.

Of course nothing was announced during the playoffs.

And, as previously mentioned by someone else in this thread, Crosby is always under the limelight and he probably knew that blaming his play on his wrist would only seem like deflecting blame and/or excuse making. You know as well as I do that if he came out the next day and reported that he had an injured wrist, it would have been a field day. I could see it now: it would be everything from him being a crybaby, to him not taking ownership, to the organization allowing him to play injured, to him not being a good leader. I would imagine that this board would have reached Chernobyl status. Apparently he felt that he could rehab it and it would be out of sight, out of mind.

I actually applaud him for shouldering the blame and not trying to throw excuses (albeit a good one) around.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 pm

shmenguin wrote:there can be residual affects of an injury like this. the discomfort can be distracting to a degree that it affects your decision making.

Absolutely a fair point... for a game or two. If he had a chronic or enduring wrist injury that limited him to that extent, he should have adjusted mentally and played within his limitations. The cross ice pass attempts should have ceased but they continued through the NYR series. There are ways to be effective within limitations.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LAChrisPaul on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:19 pm

ulf wrote:Yeah kinda figured something was injured. I said it the night they got knocked out that I felt he just didn't wanna sound like he was making excuses. Curious why he'd wait till now however.

Waiting till now... because surgery is obvious. People see him with a cast of whatever variety, that's something. You can hide physical therapy. Can't hide surgery.
LAChrisPaul

Postby topshelf on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:21 pm

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
shmenguin wrote:there can be residual affects of an injury like this. the discomfort can be distracting to a degree that it affects your decision making.

Absolutely a fair point... for a game or two. If he had a chronic or enduring wrist injury that limited him to that extent, he should have adjusted mentally and played within his limitations. The cross ice pass attempts should have ceased but they continued through the NYR series. There are ways to be effective within limitations.

I'm going to assume that it was painful for him to shoot, given the fact that he passed up on many opportunities to do so and his shot seemed off.

If that was the case, he would be forced to look for a pass. If there wasn't room to make that pass, he'd have to get creative

Also, he had an injury that requires surgery. I don't know how you can say he "should have adjusted mentally" when none of us know the actual severity of the pain that he did or did not endure.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:22 pm

LAChrisPaul wrote:
ulf wrote:Yeah kinda figured something was injured. I said it the night they got knocked out that I felt he just didn't wanna sound like he was making excuses. Curious why he'd wait till now however.

Waiting till now... because surgery is obvious. People see him with a cast of whatever variety, that's something. You can hide physical therapy. Can't hide surgery.

Yeah, it sounds as if his plan was to rehab it and never mention it again. That plan didn't work. On to plan B...
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:23 pm

topshelf wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
topshelf wrote:

What's even more embarrassing is all of the whining and entitlement that took place here during the playoffs and subsequent weeks after.

Of course nothing was announced during the playoffs.

And, as previously mentioned by someone else in this thread, Crosby is always under the limelight and he probably knew that blaming his play on his wrist would only seem like deflecting blame and/or excuse making. You know as well as I do that if he came out the next day and reported that he had an injured wrist, it would have been a field day. I could see it now: it would be everything from him being a crybaby, to him not taking ownership, to the organization allowing him to play injured, to him not being a good leader. I would imagine that this board would have reached Chernobyl status. Apparently he felt that he could rehab it and it would be out of sight, out of mind.

I actually applaud him for shouldering the blame and not trying to throw excuses (albeit a good one) around.

:thumb: :thumb: Agreed he was in a no win position.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins