Who Would You Choose...and why?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Who Would You Choose...and why?

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:55 am

Pitts wrote:You are assuming the Pens had interest in signing another forward.
we usually don't have anyone willing to step up and say, "I am going to the PENS!"

Steve Downie, by your own admission, did.

How about Ehrhoff? How about Iginla, who dictated that it was Pittsburgh? How about Morrow, who did the same, though more quietly? How about Orpik, who left money on the table during his last contract to stay with the Penguins?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,878
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Who Would You Choose...and why?

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:44 am

Jonathan Quick. He had wrist surgery and still won the Cup.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,776
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Who Would You Choose...and why?

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:46 am

Defence21 wrote:
Pitts wrote:You are assuming the Pens had interest in signing another forward.
we usually don't have anyone willing to step up and say, "I am going to the PENS!"

Steve Downie, by your own admission, did.

How about Ehrhoff? How about Iginla, who dictated that it was Pittsburgh? How about Morrow, who did the same, though more quietly? How about Orpik, who left money on the table during his last contract to stay with the Penguins?


Fedotenko called us, to add.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,079
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Who Would You Choose...and why?

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:57 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
Pitts wrote:You are assuming the Pens had interest in signing another forward.
we usually don't have anyone willing to step up and say, "I am going to the PENS!"

Steve Downie, by your own admission, did.

How about Ehrhoff? How about Iginla, who dictated that it was Pittsburgh? How about Morrow, who did the same, though more quietly? How about Orpik, who left money on the table during his last contract to stay with the Penguins?


Fedotenko called us, to add.


I believe Martin also chose the penguins over other offers while a free agent.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,311
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Re: Who Would You Choose...and why?

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:27 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
Pitts wrote:You are assuming the Pens had interest in signing another forward.
we usually don't have anyone willing to step up and say, "I am going to the PENS!"

Steve Downie, by your own admission, did.

How about Ehrhoff? How about Iginla, who dictated that it was Pittsburgh? How about Morrow, who did the same, though more quietly? How about Orpik, who left money on the table during his last contract to stay with the Penguins?


Fedotenko called us, to add.


I believe Martin also chose the penguins over other offers while a free agent.


Apparently turned down more money from LA to come to Pittsburgh.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,146
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: Thunder Bay

Re: Who Would You Choose...and why?

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:53 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
Apparently turned down more money from LA to come to Pittsburgh.


Wonder if he's kicking himself for that one haha
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,293
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Who Would You Choose...and why?

Postby Great58 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:19 pm

Does my wife want to move to Pittsburgh, or would she prefer LA, Chicago, NY, etc.
Is my ego and self-esteem in check enough that I can handle the constant media chorus of "Sid, Sid, Sid"? Geno actually prefers it, it seems, but could I?
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,729
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: Who Would You Choose...and why?

Postby the errey i breathe on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:16 pm

Great58 wrote:Does my wife want to move to Pittsburgh, or would she prefer LA, Chicago, NY, etc.
Is my ego and self-esteem in check enough that I can handle the constant media chorus of "Sid, Sid, Sid"? Geno actually prefers it, it seems, but could I?

Not to mention living up to expectations. If you're a top end winger, you will be expected to out perform all previous seasons working with Sid/Malkin. That is a lot of pressure to live up to and not everyone can handle it. That being said, it would be a perfect destination for younger second tier players who want to show what they can do and put up those big numbers for their next contract.
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,831
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Who Would You Choose...and why?

Postby no name on Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:46 pm

I think for a lot of players it comes down to a combination of money and success. If I am 32 and don't have any cups I would take 2 year 4 million deal to try to win a cup but come along the Calgary or Florida and throw 5 years 5 million my way I think I am ok without that cup.

We as fans must mis-calculate the draw Sid and Geno got. But even in my mind I think of playing with those guys and would think I would have a career year with them.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,286
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Who Would You Choose...and why?

Postby the errey i breathe on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:00 pm

I also think it's difficult for us as Pens fans and mostly Pittsburgh area natives to see outside of our black & gold glasses when it comes to the draw Sid and Geno have.
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,831
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BleuLineLady, DelPen, mikey287, Pitts, stopper40, Take the Body Shoot the Puck and 27 guests


e-mail