Prospect Camp

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Prospect Camp

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:00 pm

pcm wrote:Wait, so Bortuzzo can't learn to pick his spots because he's not talked about as a captain? I don't follow your logic. Unless, you presumed that I was saying Bortuzzo is an equivalent player to Orpik, which is silly.

You were comparing the 2. Borts doesn't have the tools that Orpik did.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
pcm wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Yeah, but most of the guys in the system don't leave their defensive position looking for hits as readily as Bortuzzo does.

Big hits are fine, but you have to know when to go and when to sit back. I'm not sure Bortuzzo knows that.

The same could be said of Orpik his first 4 seasons at least... Players aren't ever perfect in their first year. And despite what mikey says about him being stupid, Bort has shown improvement over his short tenure here. As Orpik learned to pick his spots, it's hardly out of the question that Bortuzzo could as well.

Orpik had solid skating. Borts falls down constantly. Orpik was talked about as the future captain of this team even in his rookie year. Borts isn't close to comparable to Orpik.

Did you see Bortuzzo four years ago???? I really never would have imagined he would make it into the league. The guy has come a long, long way through determination and hard work. He fought his way through the A and became a good shutdown guy down there.

He brings a snarl and he thrives at annoying the opposition. Gaining experience and building confidence will only help him as the game will inevitably slow down for him. He was fine in the playoffs last season and I look for further improvement this season. He is a nice complement to the young puck movers and already has history with Samuelsson.

Dumoulin and Bortuzzo could be a towering third combo that would immediately add much needed size.

Rutherford would be wise to extend Bortuzzo asap.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:37 pm

i like bortuzzo as a #7. i like when he's in the lineup, but i don't want him there every night
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DesertPenguin on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:19 pm

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
pcm wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Yeah, but most of the guys in the system don't leave their defensive position looking for hits as readily as Bortuzzo does.

Big hits are fine, but you have to know when to go and when to sit back. I'm not sure Bortuzzo knows that.

The same could be said of Orpik his first 4 seasons at least... Players aren't ever perfect in their first year. And despite what mikey says about him being stupid, Bort has shown improvement over his short tenure here. As Orpik learned to pick his spots, it's hardly out of the question that Bortuzzo could as well.

Orpik had solid skating. Borts falls down constantly. Orpik was talked about as the future captain of this team even in his rookie year. Borts isn't close to comparable to Orpik.

Did you see Bortuzzo four years ago???? I really never would have imagined he would make it into the league. The guy has come a long, long way through determination and hard work. He fought his way through the A and became a good shutdown guy down there.

He brings a snarl and he thrives at annoying the opposition. Gaining experience and building confidence will only help him as the game will inevitably slow down for him. He was fine in the playoffs last season and I look for further improvement this season. He is a nice complement to the young puck movers and already has history with Samuelsson.

Dumoulin and Bortuzzo could be a towering third combo that would immediately add much needed size.

Bort, Dumoulin and Despres give us size to augment the smaller Maatta, Pouliot, Harrington. Of those three though, Bort is the best/most willing hitter, with Despres gaining in that regard.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:27 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:
Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
pcm wrote:

Bort, Dumoulin and Despres give us size to augment the smaller Maatta, Pouliot, Harrington. Of those three though, Bort is the best/most willing hitter, with Despres gaining in that regard.

If Harrington (6'2" 210lbs) is small, I don't want to see what big is.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:56 pm

Bortuzzo isn't a bad guy to keep around if it isn't at the expense of younger players getting their shot
Last edited by Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:57 pm

tfrizz wrote:
If Harrington (6'2" 210lbs) is small, I don't want to see what big is.

That's what she said?
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The U on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:24 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:Bortuzzo isn't a bad guy to keep around if it isn't at the expense of younger players getting their shot

He's only 25 and plays a completely different style from the others. He shouldn't block anybody else from advancing up.

We are so excited about our defensive depth and prospects.....yet 3 of them have arrived over the past 2+ years and we are ready to push some of them aside and obsess over the younger ones.

Despres, Maatta, Bortuzzo arrive. Bortuzzo and Despres are already being dismissed and overlooked for guys 1-3 years younger in juniors and the AHL.

How long after Dumoulin, Pouliot, and Harrington arrive (and go through growing pains)are we bored of them and looking forward to the next wave?
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:01 pm

The U wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:Bortuzzo isn't a bad guy to keep around if it isn't at the expense of younger players getting their shot

He's only 25 and plays a completely different style from the others. He shouldn't block anybody else from advancing up.

We are so excited about our defensive depth and prospects.....yet 3 of them have arrived over the past 2+ years and we are ready to push some of them aside and obsess over the younger ones.

Despres, Maatta, Bortuzzo arrive. Bortuzzo and Despres are already being dismissed and overlooked for guys 1-3 years younger in juniors and the AHL.

How long after Dumoulin, Pouliot, and Harrington arrive (and go through growing pains)are we bored of them and looking forward to the next wave?

Um...not sure I'm seeing where you're coming from.

1) Never mentioned passing over Despres. I feel Despres is a 2nd pairing dman and want him in the lineup.
2) Maatta - we don't know when he's returning to the line-up, so someone has to be slotted in.

Bortuzzo's style has nothing to do with others dressing over him. Bortuzzo simply having a spot does. I like Bortuzzo's game, but I don't know if he's got tools to play in this system that seems to like it will be geared around dmen who can skate.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The U on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:07 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
The U wrote:

Um...not sure I'm seeing where you're coming from.

1) Never mentioned passing over Despres. I feel Despres is a 2nd pairing dman and want him in the lineup.
2) Maatta - we don't know when he's returning to the line-up, so someone has to be slotted in.

Bortuzzo's style has nothing to do with others dressing over him. Bortuzzo simply having a spot does. I like Bortuzzo's game, but I don't know if he's got tools to play in this system that seems to like it will be geared around dmen who can skate.

My first sentence was a response to your post. The rest was a general comment to the masses on the issues that will arise with having so many young blueliners in the system.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:10 pm

Ok, well like I said his style is irrelevant. Style doesn't keep players out of the lineup, the player being in the lineup does. Like I said, I like Bortuzzo, but I feel he's the odd man out in this situation as the young dmen trying to crack the lineup potentially bring a better suited game.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DesertPenguin on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:21 pm

If Harrington (6'2" 210lbs) is small, I don't want to see what big is.[/quote]

He's not small, but does Harrington translate that size into physicality? Same goes for Dumoulin. I'm a big fan of both those guys, Harrington especially, but not because of their physical presence. Bortuzzo has 2" and 5lbs on him, though the eye test suggests more weight than that. Point remains, Bortuzzo's skill set compliments the strengths of the other guys.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:29 pm

Where are all the complaints about playing wiffleball today? I can imagine the 2-3 pages dedicated to the stupidity if the former staff were the ones doing it today.

You're all soft!
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dodint on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:11 pm

I came here specifically looking for wiffleball hate.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:13 pm

Coaching staff moved wiffleball to a playing surface not covered with ice. :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:14 pm

Beveridge wrote:Where are all the complaints about playing wiffleball today? I can imagine the 2-3 pages dedicated to the stupidity if the former staff were the ones doing it today.

You're all soft!

penny lane wrote:Coaching staff moved wiffleball to a playing surface not covered with ice. :P

:thumb:

Nothing wrong with wiffle ball, baseball, softball, etc when it's played on an appropriate surface. Ice is not an appropriate surface.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meow on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:28 pm

They had these hockey players play wiffleball on dry land? How is that suppose to help these hockey players become better hockey players?
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:47 am

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:51 am

penny lane wrote:Coaching staff moved wiffleball to a playing surface not covered with ice. :P

Yes, and they're doing it over the summer, not during training camp.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:51 am

Pouliot can't stop talking about HCMJ being smart
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=726510
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:19 pm

columbia wrote:Pouliot can't stop talking about HCMJ being smart
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=726510

Regarded highly before his HC'ing days in Portland as well. Very much an X's and/or O's guy, AIUI...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:02 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:
tfrizz wrote:If Harrington (6'2" 210lbs) is small, I don't want to see what big is.

He's not small, but does Harrington translate that size into physicality? Same goes for Dumoulin. I'm a big fan of both those guys, Harrington especially, but not because of their physical presence. Bortuzzo has 2" and 5lbs on him, though the eye test suggests more weight than that. Point remains, Bortuzzo's skill set compliments the strengths of the other guys.

I saw Harrington in the locker room today. There's no way he's 6'2". I'm 5'10" or 5'11" and was practically eye level with him. I also heard John Hynes on the radio on the drive home refer to him as "not the tallest guy out there" or something along those lines.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:06 pm

netwolf wrote:
DesertPenguin wrote:
tfrizz wrote:If Harrington (6'2" 210lbs) is small, I don't want to see what big is.

I saw Harrington in the locker room today. There's no way he's 6'2". I'm 5'10" or 5'11" and was practically eye level with him. I also heard John Hynes on the radio on the drive home refer to him as "not the tallest guy out there" or something along those lines.

Hockey measurements are pretty famously inaccurate, so I wouldn't doubt it.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:13 pm

tfrizz wrote:
netwolf wrote:
DesertPenguin wrote:

Hockey measurements are pretty famously inaccurate, so I wouldn't doubt it.

Wasn't there a recent pic of him standing next to Kapanen and it appeared they were the same height.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:59 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
pcm wrote:Wait, so Bortuzzo can't learn to pick his spots because he's not talked about as a captain? I don't follow your logic. Unless, you presumed that I was saying Bortuzzo is an equivalent player to Orpik, which is silly.

You were comparing the 2. Borts doesn't have the tools that Orpik did.

Did you know that both apples and oranges start off as pollinated flowers growing from trees? While oranges have already developed and ripened in warmer climates, apples are still quite young, as they won't reach their full season until the fall. But this development process is shared between them, even though they're apples and oranges.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins