Prospect Camp

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Prospect Camp

Postby Candleonwater on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:43 pm

How well attended do you think the scrimmage will be tomorrow?
Candleonwater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby skullman80 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:31 pm

Probably 3 to 5k like normal.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:38 pm

pcm wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
pcm wrote:Wait, so Bortuzzo can't learn to pick his spots because he's not talked about as a captain? I don't follow your logic. Unless, you presumed that I was saying Bortuzzo is an equivalent player to Orpik, which is silly.

You were comparing the 2. Borts doesn't have the tools that Orpik did.

Did you know that both apples and oranges start off as pollinated flowers growing from trees? While oranges have already developed and ripened in warmer climates, apples are still quite young, as they won't reach their full season until the fall. But this development process is shared between them, even though they're apples and oranges.

Gold star for you, mate. :thumb:
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:00 pm

Scrimmage is being streamed live on the pens website for those that weren't aware

http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videocent ... L|PIT|home
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby psubreno14 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:07 pm

Is the video really choppy for anyone else?
psubreno14
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:08 pm

dodint wrote:
pcm wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
pcm wrote:Wait, so Bortuzzo can't learn to pick his spots because he's not talked about as a captain? I don't follow your logic. Unless, you presumed that I was saying Bortuzzo is an equivalent player to Orpik, which is silly.

You were comparing the 2. Borts doesn't have the tools that Orpik did.

Did you know that both apples and oranges start off as pollinated flowers growing from trees? While oranges have already developed and ripened in warmer climates, apples are still quite young, as they won't reach their full season until the fall. But this development process is shared between them, even though they're apples and oranges.

Gold star for you, mate. :thumb:

Hahahahahaha Borts is an apple.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:10 pm

psubreno14 wrote:Is the video really choppy for anyone else?

Yup.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:43 pm

Candleonwater wrote:How well attended do you think the scrimmage will be tomorrow?

I read on twitter that there were over 6500 people there.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lifetimefan on Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:16 pm

Went today and I will say there was a crowd of 7500 +. Fans filled all but three sections in the lower bowl.
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:28 am

With having little to zero knowledge of this years draft pool....It seems like Kapanen is very highly thought of, and the words "can't miss" have been thrown out....

1. How did he last until the pens?
2. Does he project to be a top 6 forward?

If so, this pick could be the best move of GMJR's tenure....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WHITEY1 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:12 am

He got injured and didn't score well in last tourney probably because of that, maybe that was the reason he fell. I'm no scout obviously but went to prospect game, his skill was an easy cut above most other players there. He showed flashes of offensive skill set multiple time with effortlessly going through his legs and what not with the puck on a fast rush no less. Also you could see how he was ranked as such a good skater over in Europe. Kids is gonna be good.
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WHITEY1 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:12 am

He got injured and didn't score well in last tourney probably because of that, maybe that was the reason he fell. I'm no scout obviously but went to prospect game, his skill was an easy cut above most other players there. He showed flashes of offensive skill set multiple time with effortlessly going through his legs and what not with the puck on a fast rush no less. Also you could see how he was ranked as such a good skater over in Europe. Kids is gonna be good.
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:00 am

lifetimefan wrote:Went today and I will say there was a crowd of 7500 +. Fans filled all but three sections in the lower bowl.

:thumb:

Kasperi Kapanen's best feature were his fast hands and wrists... the ability to turn them over and around
to take the shot! His skating~ so smooth. An 18 year on the team could be the fun missing.

Oskar Sundqvist and Tom Kuhhackl impressed with using their bodies... pens need more size in
their forwards.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:05 pm

penny lane wrote:
lifetimefan wrote:Went today and I will say there was a crowd of 7500 +. Fans filled all but three sections in the lower bowl.

Kasperi Kapanen's best feature were his fast hands and wrists... the ability to turn them over and around
to take the shot! His skating~ so smooth. An 18 year on the team could be the fun missing.

Oskar Sundqvist and Tom Kuhhackl impressed with using their bodies... pens need more size in
their forwards.

These 3 guys also have the best hockey names in the organization.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:11 pm

penny lane wrote:

their forwards.

Kapanen's skill was apparent but so should have been the fact that he is simply not physically mature enough for an NHL season. He is a little kid. He would be much better off developing another season in Finland.

Sundqvist did look intriguing and of any of the forwards, looked closest to the NHL. He might be well served to start playing in WBS. Very good size and reach, skating needs a bit more refining and he needs to work on his puck skills but he seemed to have made quality progress from a year ago. From watching yesterday's game he looked more like a third line RW prospect than a center.

Archibald, Bleuger and Guentzel looked to be so small and weak, Dea a bit more lanky but also just really soft on the puck. Why Ray, why???

Troy Josephs looked like a man among boys at times. Payerl tried to use his size but he just couldn't really accomplish much.

Some of the lower tier D-prospects were a bit surprising in a positive way.

Harrison Ruopp was around the puck a lot and banging bodies. He looked like a young Robert Bortuzzo, though I am aware that will be taken in a few different ways :wink:

Segalla, Seyour and McNeill all showed a bit more than I had expected while Nick D'Agostino looked like Wheeling material.

Kuhnhackl won't ever be a top six, but he does have an NHL body and could be developed into a decent two-way third liner, perhaps in the Fedotenko mold.

Zlobin didn't show too much, though I thought his compete level was pretty good. Uher was disappointing. Among the other forwards, only Scott Wilson looked to be of potential use.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sjnhiils on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:47 am

As others have noted , Kapanen was silky smooth. I thought Mcneill and Ruopp were very physical as it was hard for our smaller forwards to battle against them. Dea had a few good bursts but he has to add some bulk along with Archibald,Byron,Sheary etc. Guentzel played and looked bigger to me than I was expecting and I think he has a good future. He roofed a Crosby like backhand in the shootout. I hope Jarry just had a bad day or was nervous but he did not look comfortable and was outplayed by Murray. If Jeff Taylor also adds size, he could be a steal as a 7th round pick. Lastly, Nick Lappin kind of caught my eye. He was listed as a ufa so are the Pens in a position that they could sign him? If possible, I think they should.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:04 pm

Any thoughts on Dumoulin? He looked like he was wearing cement skates during his callup.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby sjnhiils on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:32 pm

columbia wrote:Any thoughts on Dumoulin? He looked like he was wearing cement skates during his callup.

i thought Dumoulin and Harrington were ok but they just did not stand out as much as two defenseman who are supposedly battling for jobs on the Pens this year. Hopefully it was not their max effort and they will turn it up once training camp starts.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:48 pm

Here's Bombulie's reports on how these dmen performed last season in WBS:

1. SIMON DESPRES: He still has occasional mental lapses where he’ll go into a funk for two or three games, but for the most part, he’s NHL ready. He was probably the team’s best defenseman in the last two rounds of the playoffs. A season where he focused on his defensive game and penalty killing skills under John Hynes probably helped his long-term prospects.

3. BRIAN DUMOULIN: After battling a couple of injuries in the regular season, Dumoulin showed another gear to his game in the playoffs for the second straight spring. He’s ready to graduate. Even the criticisms you can offer about his game turn into positives. Like, he’s not as physical as you might expect someone of his size to be. That turns into a positive because he never, ever takes penalties. Or, he might be miscast playing on the first power-play unit for WBS. That turns into a positive because those reps will help him be a better puck-mover in the long run.

7. SCOTT HARRINGTON: He seemed to wear down a bit at the end of the playoffs, but for most of the season, you could count the bad plays he made on one hand. A smart, steady stay-at-home guy. Spending another few months as the No. 1 shutdown defenseman in Wilkes-Barre wouldn’t hurt him.

8. PHILIP SAMUELSSON: I don’t know if I can recall a WBS player who has improved as slowly and steadily as Samuelsson. He’s not flashy. He’s never had that a-ha moment where he looked like a sure-fire NHL prospect. But he never fails to get incrementally better game by game and season by season.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins