Jayson Megna / Phillip Samuellson signed

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Jayson Megna / Phillip Samuellson signed

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:06 pm

Megna signed. 1 year, two-way deal. 874K NHL salary. (signed for his QO value) http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=725936&cmpid=pit-twt-penguins

Samuelsson also signed. 1 year, two-way deal. 550K NHL Salary (slightly less than QO) http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=725945&cmpid=pit-twt-penguins
Last edited by FLPensFan on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Jayson Megna signed

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:16 pm

Good Deal! Glad he will be back with the Pens.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby topshelf on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:26 pm

I'm a fan of the Megs.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:26 pm

I like this. With Bennett out for a bit I wouldnt mind seeing Megna get some 3rd line time to start the season.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:28 pm

He can play pretty much anywhere in the lineup. I'd expect him to be up all year someplace in the lineup.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:47 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Megna signed. 1 year, two-way deal. 874K NHL salary. (signed for his QO value) http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=725936&cmpid=pit-twt-penguins

:thumb:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Jayson Megna / Phillip Samuellson signed

Postby DelPen on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:12 pm

Samulesosn was only $550,000, $55,000 less than his qualifier.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:33 pm

Samuelsson signing for less than his QO confuses me. They must have offered a decent bump in AHL salary.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:45 pm

Or some sort of promise was made regarding how many NHL paychecks he's getting this year. "Hey, we're gonna be tight on the cap...if you want to be a 6/7, we'll need it to be a squeeze play...take league min. and you're done riding buses..."

A few ideas could be entertained here...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:49 pm

mikey287 wrote:Or some sort of promise was made regarding how many NHL paychecks he's getting this year. "Hey, we're gonna be tight on the cap...if you want to be a 6/7, we'll need it to be a squeeze play...take league min. and you're done riding buses..."

A few ideas could be entertained here...

For now he will only start in Pittsburgh as a #7 with Maatta being on LTIR but to maximize cap space I'd expect Dumoulin to be on the roster since their cap hits are almost the same.

But unless Scuderi or Martin are moved he'll be back in WBS by November unless he's claimed off waivers and I think he will be.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:52 pm

Not sure I agree that Dumoulin will be on the roster, I think camp will decide that. And again, as discussed, I think Samuelsson is pretty safe from being claimed barring some weird rash of injuries or something somewhere else. Every organization has this guy and his buddy.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:55 pm

Yeah Samulesson is essentially Engelland's replacement. If Dumoulin is not in the top 6 rotation, then he'll be in WBS playing.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:13 pm

mikey287 wrote:Not sure I agree that Dumoulin will be on the roster, I think camp will decide that. And again, as discussed, I think Samuelsson is pretty safe from being claimed barring some weird rash of injuries or something somewhere else. Every organization has this guy and his buddy.

Just looking at LTIR, if Maatta isn't ready then Dumoulin will take his place on opening day at least to get as close as possible to cap hits, same with Megna and Bennett, very close contracts it appears. It's saying nothing about who is the most taleneted or NHL ready in the #7/8 spot.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:15 pm

Glad to see Megna back.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:34 pm

Yup, he has a good nose for going to the net. Hopefully seeing Hornqvist in action will inspire him to continue to develop that part of his game. Whereas Blysma seemed to want to neuter it.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:37 pm

DelPen wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Not sure I agree that Dumoulin will be on the roster, I think camp will decide that. And again, as discussed, I think Samuelsson is pretty safe from being claimed barring some weird rash of injuries or something somewhere else. Every organization has this guy and his buddy.

Just looking at LTIR, if Maatta isn't ready then Dumoulin will take his place on opening day at least to get as close as possible to cap hits, same with Megna and Bennett, very close contracts it appears. It's saying nothing about who is the most taleneted or NHL ready in the #7/8 spot.

I dont think he will be on the roster. I bet they carry 7. Martin ehrhoff letang scuderi samuelsson despres bortuzzo.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:49 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
DelPen wrote:

I dont think he will be on the roster. I bet they carry 7. Martin ehrhoff letang scuderi samuelsson despres bortuzzo.

I don't think Delpen is suggesting Doumalin stays, but rather that he starts the season on the roster to get the team as close to the cap as possible for when Pouliot and Maatta go on LTIR.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:51 pm

which of the 2 do we lose to the waiver wire?? I think Domoulin out played Samuelsson during their play in Pittsburgh. But I know Samuelsson would have to clear waivers which means we might lose him.

I say start he season with Samuelsson and if need be bring up Domoulin to replace.Samuelsson is guarenteed to get picked up by the Rangers unless someone else steps up to take him.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:01 pm

I thought Dumoulin was horrid when he was in Pittsburgh. Truly awful.

And what do they gain by pushing the team up to the cap? They're coming back during the season so what are the Pens going to do with the cap relief? What am I missing?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:49 pm

I40, the closer you get to the Upper Limit at day one of the regular season when you have players starting the year on LTIR, the more "bonus bucks" you get from LTIR. I gave a short, rudimentary explanation here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64119&p=2778774
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:53 pm

I understand that, but how does that help? Doesn't that all go away once they come of LTIR?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:53 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I thought Dumoulin was horrid when he was in Pittsburgh. Truly awful.

And what do they gain by pushing the team up to the cap? They're coming back during the season so what are the Pens going to do with the cap relief? What am I missing?

Agreed. I thought Samuelson looked like a decent defender, but Dumoulin looked bad.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:30 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I understand that, but how does that help? Doesn't that all go away once they come of LTIR?

Not necessarily. Hopefully OOMAGMJB posts here and can correct me. But you get the bonus bucks and then send down players that don't make sense to be up...so you extend your Upper Limit and then re-open the space by demoting the rejects.

So, by calling up Pouliot and Megna to start the year (or whoever) and push our payroll to $69 million, we now have pushed our Upper Limit to $69 million + LTIR'd player cap hits. Let's call that number $71.2 million at random. Next day, we sent Pouliot and Megna back down. We're now down to $67 million but with a $71.2 million Upper Limit instead of a $69 million one...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:43 pm

Yeah but I mean once Maatta and Bennett are back, the upper limit is $69 million, yes? Thats why I don't understand the gain.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby largegarlic on Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:00 pm

Take the Body Shoot the Puck wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I thought Dumoulin was horrid when he was in Pittsburgh. Truly awful.

Agreed. I thought Samuelson looked like a decent defender, but Dumoulin looked bad.

Agreed as well. However, I remember reading quotes this time last year from Guerin saying that Dumoulin was ready for the NHL, and when I occasionally check in on Bombulie's WBS blog, he always seems to be hyping Dumoulin. Maybe he'll show better with a new coaching staff and more experience, or (hopefully not) he's just one of those NHL/AHL tweeners.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins