Jayson Megna / Phillip Samuellson signed

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Jayson Megna / Phillip Samuellson signed

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:50 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah but I mean once Maatta and Bennett are back, the upper limit is $69 million, yes? Thats why I don't understand the gain.

It is my understanding that cap space is banked on a per day basis. Again, I'm no capologist, so someone is free to correct me if they know better...

So the season is divided into a number of days. Let's say it's 187. The Upper Limit is $69 million. So every day, you may spend $368,984. Whatever money you don't spend, carries with you. You bank it. So what we gained in the first six weeks or whatever with Maatta and whoever being out, will help us be a little more flexible down the line at the trade deadline perhaps...

Also, the new, new CBA has an emergency call-up clause that has a certain set of stipulations that allows a player making less than $650,000 to not count against the cap. The first time that an active roster player can potentially not count in the salary cap era...guess what threshold Phillip Samuelsson's QO was going to be over and look at what it is now...

Little interesting tidbits lead to little interesting possibilities...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:05 pm

I was under the impression that the day by day space accumulating doesn't get affected by the overage allowance, but i've never really looked into it. The way the overage was always described was allowing an overage only during the time the players are on LTIR not that it was truly a cap increase, but thats interesting if thats not the case.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:06 pm

Don't trust me on this. I used to be a lot more into the CBA innerworkings than I am now. I can find out some answers though from people that know it better than me and report back...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:13 pm

Capgeek has a good summary of LTIR here http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-long-term-injured-reserve-LTIR-work, as well as a reference to the page/article/paragraphs of the CBA that states the rules. CBA can be found here: http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/PDF/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins