Work to start on Mellon arena site

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:05 pm

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/6418 ... z3767uD8Ma

Work to start on old arena site.

Pens are submitting designs for residential and commerical building.

If not PR, then move please.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,788
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:56 pm

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:33 pm

Is this newarenanow related, or is that too soon?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,914
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby no name on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:42 pm

The Historical and Preservation Society put out this statement:

"Its not for us to stick our noses in the business of the old Mellon arena site. But we feel this old parking lot is to sacred to rip up and put new development on. The parking lot has server Pittsburgh proudly and should stand for future generations to enjoy. "
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,289
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:19 pm

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:02 pm

no name wrote:The Historical and Preservation Society put out this statement:

"Its not for us to stick our noses in the business of the old Mellon arena site. But we feel this old parking lot is to sacred to rip up and put new development on. The parking lot has server Pittsburgh proudly and should stand for future generations to enjoy. "


Is this post a joke, was that statement a joke, or is this real?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,914
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby IanMoran on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:08 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
no name wrote:The Historical and Preservation Society put out this statement:

"Its not for us to stick our noses in the business of the old Mellon arena site. But we feel this old parking lot is to sacred to rip up and put new development on. The parking lot has server Pittsburgh proudly and should stand for future generations to enjoy. "


Is this post a joke, was that statement a joke, or is this real?

Its kind of sad I wasn't sure until the "Server" typo... Seems like a legit statement from them
Last edited by IanMoran on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,989
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:08 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
no name wrote:The Historical and Preservation Society put out this statement:

"Its not for us to stick our noses in the business of the old Mellon arena site. But we feel this old parking lot is to sacred to rip up and put new development on. The parking lot has server Pittsburgh proudly and should stand for future generations to enjoy. "


Is this post a joke, was that statement a joke, or is this real?


considering all the errors, i would say joke.

*too*
*server*
*idoit*
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,332
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:21 am

IanMoran wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
no name wrote:The Historical and Preservation Society put out this statement:

"Its not for us to stick our noses in the business of the old Mellon arena site. But we feel this old parking lot is to sacred to rip up and put new development on. The parking lot has server Pittsburgh proudly and should stand for future generations to enjoy. "


Is this post a joke, was that statement a joke, or is this real?

Its kind of sad I wasn't sure until the "Server" typo... Seems like a legit statement from them

I make this error at work all the time.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,776
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:33 pm
Location: 39°6′32″N 76°46′17″W

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby no name on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:45 am

I didn't think anyone would actually think it was true i thought everyone would know it was a joke. But that group being so over the top you never know with them. But of course my typical grammar and spelling errors everyone figured it out.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,289
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:19 pm

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:47 am

That added to the credibility for me.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,914
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:06 pm

DocEmrick does PR for the Historical and Preservation Society?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,945
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:18 pm
Location: wat

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:28 am

It infuriates me when I hear how much the arena cost taxpayers when IoC would've built it for nothing.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,149
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby Bioshock on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:11 am

mac5155 wrote:It infuriates me when I hear how much the arena cost taxpayers when IoC would've built it for nothing.


Corruption of Western PA politics at it's finest
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,892
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:07 am

That corruption starts in Harrisburg and spreads its tentacles across the state. Remember that the plan to select a winner based on a proposal instead of going to the highest bidder like how most states awarded slot licenses was from Fast Eddie Rendell and his cronies.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,866
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:31 am
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:33 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:That corruption starts in Harrisburg and spreads its tentacles across the state. Remember that the plan to select a winner based on a proposal instead of going to the highest bidder like how most states awarded slot licenses was from Fast Eddie Rendell and his cronies.


Yeah, two things people or media don't talk about often is how the entire idea to start with was stupid. Isle of Capris was basically saying the casino license was worth $350,000,000 to them, yet the license was bid out for around $20 million (I can't remember exactly) and picked by a committee. A pretty big scam across the state that even if being conservative cost the tax payers about $300,000,000 per license awarded. Not even the Penguins not getting an arena, but just the complete discounted casino license.

The second thing was the guy who was awarded the license couldn't afford to get it all done so it was just all but given to another company which actually broke the law. The law stated that if there was issues in the completion it went back through a process. That process never happened and nobody cared.

Among other things.

If there was any question about Pennsylvania politics just read up on this for a few hours. It should have been a national story.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,117
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby DesertPenguin on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:00 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:That corruption starts in Harrisburg and spreads its tentacles across the state. Remember that the plan to select a winner based on a proposal instead of going to the highest bidder like how most states awarded slot licenses was from Fast Eddie Rendell and his cronies.


Yeah, two things people or media don't talk about often is how the entire idea to start with was stupid. Isle of Capris was basically saying the casino license was worth $350,000,000 to them, yet the license was bid out for around $20 million (I can't remember exactly) and picked by a committee. A pretty big scam across the state that even if being conservative cost the tax payers about $300,000,000 per license awarded. Not even the Penguins not getting an arena, but just the complete discounted casino license.

The second thing was the guy who was awarded the license couldn't afford to get it all done so it was just all but given to another company which actually broke the law. The law stated that if there was issues in the completion it went back through a process. That process never happened and nobody cared.

Among other things.

If there was any question about Pennsylvania politics just read up on this for a few hours. It should have been a national story.


If IoC would have funded the arena themselves, the money lenders wouldn't have gotten their cut, the construction companies would have had to bid fairly for the work instead of stuffing pockets, and kickbacks in general would have been at a minimum.

Tell me, how would THAT have benefitted anyone? :pop:

Seriously, the city politics are all dirty. Our former mayor is under federal investigation, our former police chief embezelled loads of money, our district attorney is mafia royalty, our coroner sells organs on the black market, and life just goes on.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Z's Old House

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby Pitts on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:36 pm

The casinos are going to get rid of property tax across the state, right? When does that happen?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,902
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:12 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:That corruption starts in Harrisburg and spreads its tentacles across the state. Remember that the plan to select a winner based on a proposal instead of going to the highest bidder like how most states awarded slot licenses was from Fast Eddie Rendell and his cronies.


Yeah, two things people or media don't talk about often is how the entire idea to start with was stupid. Isle of Capris was basically saying the casino license was worth $350,000,000 to them, yet the license was bid out for around $20 million (I can't remember exactly) and picked by a committee. A pretty big scam across the state that even if being conservative cost the tax payers about $300,000,000 per license awarded. Not even the Penguins not getting an arena, but just the complete discounted casino license.

The second thing was the guy who was awarded the license couldn't afford to get it all done so it was just all but given to another company which actually broke the law. The law stated that if there was issues in the completion it went back through a process. That process never happened and nobody cared.

Among other things.

If there was any question about Pennsylvania politics just read up on this for a few hours. It should have been a national story.


If IoC would have funded the arena themselves, the money lenders wouldn't have gotten their cut, the construction companies would have had to bid fairly for the work instead of stuffing pockets, and kickbacks in general would have been at a minimum.

Tell me, how would THAT have benefitted anyone? :pop:

Seriously, the city politics are all dirty. Our former mayor is under federal investigation, our former police chief embezelled loads of money, our district attorney is mafia royalty, our coroner sells organs on the black market, and life just goes on.


The funny thing is take the new arena out if it and think of it as simply them offering $300 million or the license. Casino owners in PA got roughly $280 million discounts on their license fees in theory. And definitely compared to other states.

Regardless of where the money went that is a huge scam that nobody bothered to barely discuss.

Did anyone watch the hearings? They were voting in things similar to limited background checks until the Feds finally stepped in.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,117
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:52 am

Here's what is starting to confuse me. When did the penguins become a real estate developer? So the city gave them this land to then get some partners and develop it? Just seems like a dumb decision.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,241
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby jimjom on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:55 am

It's funny that the new Shop N Save on Centre is soon to open a Crazy Mocha, a Subway, and a phone store -- but the CEC still has a gaping vacancy next to Subway on 5th that was supposed to contain a Qdoba yet still stands empty to this day. The whole 5th Ave corridor is an embarrasing eyesore and the area around the arena is pathetic. Something needs to be done redevelopment wise.

Additionally the poster that connected Zappala with the mob is correct. His great grandfather and grandfather were members of the Black Hand, basically if i am not mistaken, the precursor to what we now refer to as the mafia in this day and age. Extortion, murder, racketeering and corruption. Seems like a good genepool for a DA.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,903
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:34 pm
Location: Presto

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:18 am

Troy Loney wrote:Here's what is starting to confuse me. When did the penguins become a real estate developer? So the city gave them this land to then get some partners and develop it? Just seems like a dumb decision.


Ron Burkle has been in real estate throughout his professional life. Having the Pens as a partner in the development of the area is a good thing and Ron Burkle, as part of the management team, investing in Pittsburgh is also a good thing.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,302
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:21 am

Pitt87 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Here's what is starting to confuse me. When did the penguins become a real estate developer? So the city gave them this land to then get some partners and develop it? Just seems like a dumb decision.


Ron Burkle has been in real estate throughout his professional life. Having the Pens as a partner in the development of the area is a good thing and Ron Burkle, as part of the management team, investing in Pittsburgh is also a good thing.


Eh, real estate is more of a regional specialty, and I doubt Burkle is really that involved with the specifics of this plan...i mean it's not like his CA development model would work in uptown Pittsburgh.

RE development is so political, especially in that area. just seems unwise to have the Penguins involved here.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,241
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:59 am

Troy Loney wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Here's what is starting to confuse me. When did the penguins become a real estate developer? So the city gave them this land to then get some partners and develop it? Just seems like a dumb decision.


Ron Burkle has been in real estate throughout his professional life. Having the Pens as a partner in the development of the area is a good thing and Ron Burkle, as part of the management team, investing in Pittsburgh is also a good thing.


Eh, real estate is more of a regional specialty, and I doubt Burkle is really that involved with the specifics of this plan...i mean it's not like his CA development model would work in uptown Pittsburgh.

RE development is so political, especially in that area. just seems unwise to have the Penguins involved here.


Check out Yucaipa Companies and their holdings. The Pens would not be involved in RE development without a key senior executive with experience not involved.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,302
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:05 am

I mean, I know he's rich. That looks like a holding company specializing in takeovers...there might be reasons that handing this development over to the Penguins is a good idea...but Burkle being a success isn't one of them.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,241
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:57 am

Wasn't the north shore development handed over to the Steelers and Pirates as part of their negotiations? Serious question.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,788
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:56 pm

Re: Work to start on Mellon arena site

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:03 am

newarenanow wrote:Wasn't the north shore development handed over to the Steelers and Pirates as part of their negotiations? Serious question.


Yup... Though I think the Steelers (i.e. Dan and Art II)are leading the way on development.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,302
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mango Salsa, meow, Realist, Skatingpen and 5 guests


e-mail