At this point our biggest need?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

What do we need the most

bottom 6 depth forward
13%
top 6 winger
43%
a defensive defenseman
9%
an offensive defenseman
No votes
a "leader type"
11%
a new starting goalie.
2%
Our team looks good now
4%
our team will due till the trading deadline.
15%
Other
4%

Total votes : 122

At this point our biggest need?

Postby no name on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:03 pm

After looking at the current line up what do you feel are our biggest needs? You get 2 votes.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: At this point our biggest need?

Postby Beveridge on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:10 pm

It boggles my mind how after watching this team the past 5-7 years that top 6 and scoring seems to be what people think the Pens' issue is.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:15 pm

Beveridge wrote:It boggles my mind how after watching this team the past 5-7 years that top 6 and scoring seems to be what people think the Pens' issue is.

Preach on, brother.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GSdrums87 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:37 pm

Should've made a "Pros and Cons of Trading/Keeping Paul Martin" thread so I never have to read the same 3 talking points again.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:42 pm

A veteran presence, that could be utilized in the top 6.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BigMcK on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:50 pm

Other. Players that should know by now reading media hype about how they are good enough to win, actually play hard enough to win. Orpik mentioned it on his way out that they believed in the hype.

Other. Balance. Shared responsibility for each win and loss.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:14 pm

BigMcK wrote:Other. Players that should know by now reading media hype about how they are good enough to win, actually play hard enough to win. Orpik mentioned it on his way out that they believed in the hype.

Other. Balance. Shared responsibility for each win and loss.

:thumb:

I also think that Sid and Evgeni need to play in all phases of the game~ PP, PK mins should be
added- balance their overall mins.

Nothing more demoralizing than short-handed goals.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:19 pm

meow wrote:
Beveridge wrote:It boggles my mind how after watching this team the past 5-7 years that top 6 and scoring seems to be what people think the Pens' issue is.

Preach on, brother.

This ignores the fashion in which we've been eliminated from the playoffs for the last 2 years.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:37 pm

Yeah, our top two lines have been neutered in recent playoff years. I chose "top 6 winger" and "depth forward", and chose "depth forward" because the ineptitude of our bottom two lines has largely led to that result. I also think that our Top 6 DOES need help, especially with Neal and Jokinen leaving, and Kunitz and Dupuis may not necessarily be able to get the job done as effectively anymore.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:47 pm

I don't want to sound repetitive, but it's not so much scoring the top six needs. While they need wingers who CAN score, they need wingers who provide specific roles that make life easier for Sid and Geno. They don't have to be a James Neal and his scoring doesn't need to be replaced goal-for-goal.

But I do think a top six winger is the biggest need.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:48 pm

meow wrote:

Preach on, brother.

It's because people who don't know anything about the sport thinking all they need to do is score more goals and everything else will be null and void.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:53 pm

I voted bottom six and "leader"; they seem to be slim on the latter.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:57 pm

We need a better option than Bennett on the 2nd line. Our depth after Spaling and Sutter are resigned is the best we have had in years.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Adding a top six winger creates more depth on the bottom lines.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:20 pm

Can I vote "more cap space" as our biggest need?
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:22 pm

Babcock.

I kid. I'm actually excited for this new coaching staff.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:45 pm

canaan wrote:
meow wrote:

Preach on, brother.

It's because people who don't know anything about the sport thinking all they need to do is score more goals and everything else will be null and void.

:roll: When did our fanbase become so elitist and arrogant? Was it when we got Sid and Geno, and everyone suddenly believes that because they're superstars can do all the heavy lifting themselves for this team's offense? Because that's worked out great the past two years.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fe ... me=summary

Looks to me like scoring goals was a big part of LA's cup win... The Pens were 3rd in GA/G. But they couldn't score against NYR to close out the series. They couldn't score against Bos at all the year before. Oh sure, we look great in the reg season or against the NYI and OTT, but as soon as Sid and/or Geno gets shut down, the team collapses.

But go on preaching and making fun of the majority of other people on this board (44% in the poll), as it seems to make you guys feel better about yourselves.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sjnhiils on Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:36 pm

pcm wrote:
canaan wrote:
meow wrote:

Preach on, brother.

:roll: When did our fanbase become so elitist and arrogant? Was it when we got Sid and Geno, and everyone suddenly believes that because they're superstars can do all the heavy lifting themselves for this team's offense? Because that's worked out great the past two years.

Looks to me like scoring goals was a big part of LA's cup win... The Pens were 3rd in GA/G. But they couldn't score against NYR to close out the series. They couldn't score against Bos at all the year before. Oh sure, we look great in the reg season or against the NYI and OTT, but as soon as Sid and/or Geno gets shut down, the team collapses.

But go on preaching and making fun of the majority of other people on this board (44% in the poll), as it seems to make you guys feel better about yourselves.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: The ones that know the most "about the sport" convey that in the content of their posts and not in the tearing down of others.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DayWalker on Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:58 pm

pcm wrote:
canaan wrote:
meow wrote:

Preach on, brother.

:thumb:

Aside from the 1984 Smythe Division Semi-finals against the Flyers in 2012, this team has been knocked out of the playoffs four times since winning the Cup in 2009 because they could not score enough:

12 goals in the last 6 games against Montreal in 2010

11 goals in the last six games against Tampa Bay in 2011, including 4 in the last three games.

2 goals in 4 games against Boston in 2013

14 goals in 7 games against the Rangers in 2014, including 3 in the last three games.

Any person who claims this team has or has had enough scoring either stops watching Penguins games once the regular season ends, is functionally ignorant of statistics, or is so heavily invested in some kind of mindless conceit that he/she is incapable of recognizing empirical data.
Last edited by DayWalker on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DayWalker on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:03 pm

"3 top-six wingers" should have been an option.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:27 pm

More threads on a fan forum about off season moves
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby bhaw on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:00 pm

pcm wrote:
canaan wrote:
meow wrote:

Preach on, brother.

Since we're all on the condescending train... how in the name of God do you equate not scoring at all against Boston to being solved by a top 6 winger? We had Crosby, Malkin, Neal, and Kunitz. Clearly the issue isn't just having top 6 wingers. It's having players who can grind it out in the playoffs and play hard hockey. The reason it's unbelievable that people keep clamoring for a top 6 winger is because they throw out people who are literally the reason we lost those playoff series (our top 6 was pretty awful on paper when we won the Cup). This team has never been in desperate need of scoring. They've been in need of a new mentality (not on the list).

You've properly identified the issue. But your solution is the same reason we got swept by Boston. Just put more guys who score goals on the ice. That doesn't = winning.

LA didn't win because their top 6 scored tons of goals. It required depth. They scored across all lines, not just their 1st and/or 2nd. Anyone who watched the NHL playoffs last year knows that. By loading up in our top 6, we are basically saying "**** you depth!" Then teams like Boston lock down our top lines and our bottom 6 skates around doing nothing. I'm not sure about you, but I'm tired of watching that happen. This team needs balance and a new attitude. Simply signing another top 6 guy doesn't make us a good playoff team. And that's why it's annoying to hear that all we need is a top 6 (and willing to sacrifice our defense, goal tending, etc to do so). James Neal is gone because he couldn't play playoff hockey on this team. But sure, let's bring another guy like him in.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:20 pm

a legit wing wouldn't have helped sid's wrist or whatever caused him to play like trash this year. but nether would any of the other options. he's getting surgery and we fired the guy who butchered the rest of the lineup in order to help a lost cause. so i don't know what exactly would have been missing last year if everyone would have been operating at full capacity. but from the list, i'll take the thing that may have help us not get neutered offensively again when things got real.

and while i don't like the neal trade, i'm satisfied with the way rutherford has otherwise shaped the lineup. so top 6 wing it is.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:54 pm

Fire bylsma.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Daniel on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:05 am

shmenguin wrote:a legit wing wouldn't have helped sid's wrist or whatever caused him to play like trash this year. but nether would any of the other options. he's getting surgery and we fired the guy who butchered the rest of the lineup in order to help a lost cause. so i don't know what exactly would have been missing last year if everyone would have been operating at full capacity. but from the list, i'll take the thing that may have help us not get neutered offensively again when things got real.

and while i don't like the neal trade, i'm satisfied with the way rutherford has otherwise shaped the lineup. so top 6 wing it is.

I think watching Sid get slew footed and hacked in the back of the head without retaliation was a key problem with last years playoff. Hard to score when you're worried about cheap shots with no one to stick up for you. Cooke never really helped since he went from side show act to Lady Byng wannabe and Bylsma never seemed to want to give Sid any kind of help on his wing. Imagine if Engelland (or whoever) had done something to Dubinsky in the first round or Staal in the 2nd? Might not have changed the results, but at least we'd see the team stick up for each other.

I chose "Other" to simply add players who play for one another and don't allow the cheap shots to continue.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins