At this point our biggest need?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

What do we need the most

bottom 6 depth forward
13%
top 6 winger
43%
a defensive defenseman
9%
an offensive defenseman
No votes
a "leader type"
11%
a new starting goalie.
2%
Our team looks good now
4%
our team will due till the trading deadline.
15%
Other
4%

Total votes : 122

Re: At this point our biggest need?

Postby no name on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:57 am

shmenguin wrote:a legit wing wouldn't have helped sid's wrist or whatever caused him to play like trash this year. but nether would any of the other options. he's getting surgery and we fired the guy who butchered the rest of the lineup in order to help a lost cause. so i don't know what exactly would have been missing last year if everyone would have been operating at full capacity. but from the list, i'll take the thing that may have help us not get neutered offensively again when things got real.

and while i don't like the neal trade, i'm satisfied with the way rutherford has otherwise shaped the lineup. so top 6 wing it is.

I hate to beat a dead horse but i point the finger at Bylsma, instead of playing SId and Geno all series long, if he had knowelege that Sids wrist was hurting. He should of used Sid as a decoy, giving Geno Kunitz and Neal and try to ride that line. I guess i have the luxury of hindsight to complain about this. But a injured Sid with a Malkin isn't going to make SId healthy. SHould of played Sid with Jokenin and Gibbons, Bylsma should of sold it to the media that he wanted a line with speed or something.

As far as the needs of the team, i side with what the other poster mentioned. A top 6 winger not in a Neal mold but in a Hornqvist mold. Hell knowing Hartnell and Umberger got traded for each other i would of loved either one of them. Get another hard working 20 goal winger not so much the potential 40 goal scorer. A blue colar guy like a Kunitz oe Hornqvist.

I am on the fence as what we need more a "vet", a defensive Dman or a bottom 6 forward. I guess you can find a good vet in a bottom 6 position. Our young defencemen i think need a chance to sink or swim to see if they can get us what we need at a min. salary. SO i guess ride this lineup til the deadline and see what we really need.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:07 am

Beveridge wrote:It boggles my mind how after watching this team the past 5-7 years that top 6 and scoring seems to be what people think the Pens' issue is.

It's all about the playoffs. How has that top 6 done there?
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:25 am

Mad City Mike wrote:
Beveridge wrote:It boggles my mind how after watching this team the past 5-7 years that top 6 and scoring seems to be what people think the Pens' issue is.

I really wonder how well this lineup would have done vs Boston:

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Bennett-Jokinen-Kennedy

Top 6 has been garbage in the playoffs most likely because the coach didn't put them in the best situations for success.

That being said, we still need at least one more guy in the top 6 because even now, Morrow and Iginla are still better than Dupuis and whoever ends up on the 2nd line, but that guy will probably be Spaling now because the cap.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:25 am

Mad City Mike wrote:

You don't think adding better pieces to the bottom 6 with alleviate some of the scoring pressure on the top 6?
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:28 am

meow wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:

You don't think adding better pieces to the bottom 6 with alleviate some of the scoring pressure on the top 6?

But we did add better pieces to the bottom 6 already especially if we can get a guy better than Bennett and Spaling to play on Malkin's wing.

Bennett, Sutter, Downie, Spaling, Goc and Comeau are a massive upgrade to what we have seen Bylsma and Shero field.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:29 am

DelPen wrote:

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Bennett-Jokinen-Kennedy

I feel certain that they wouldn't have been worse than what we saw. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:30 am

meow wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:

I know you weren't addressing me, but I think adding a top six is what alleviates all the pressure.

Current likely line-up:
Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis
Bennett-Geno-Hornqvist
???-???-Downie
Comeau-Goc-???

If you add a top six, that pushes either Bennett or Dupuis down the bottom six making them deeper and more potent.

Bennett is wild card at this point as to whether he will be healthy for the start of the season and if he's ready and capable of full-time top-six minutes. Dupuis is also coming off a serious injury and while I have faith he will return to form, you can never be 100% sure.

it's wiser IMO to bring in another top-six guy to trickle talent down to the bottom six.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:32 am

DelPen wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Bennett-Jokinen-Kennedy

Top 6 has been garbage in the playoffs most likely because the coach didn't put them in the best situations for success.

That being said, we still need at least one more guy in the top 6 because even now, Morrow and Iginla are still better than Dupuis and whoever ends up on the 2nd line, but that guy will probably be Spaling now because the cap.

sutter should have been on the 4th line in that series. we couldn't score goals and we had a 3rd line center pretending that he was a defenseman for 12 minutes a game. meanwhile, morrow-jokinen-bennett was arguably our best line leading up to the playoffs. but bylsma's big adjustment was dressing vitale so he could win 1 extra meaningless faceoff per game over whoever he replaced.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:36 am

DelPen wrote:
meow wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:

But we did add better pieces to the bottom 6 already especially if we can get a guy better than Bennett and Spaling to play on Malkin's wing.

Bennett, Sutter, Downie, Spaling, Goc and Comeau are a massive upgrade to what we have seen Bylsma and Shero field.

That's what I am saying. This years bottom 6 is leaps and bounds better than last seasons, which creates more balance in the line-up.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:40 am

meow wrote:
DelPen wrote:
meow wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:

That's what I am saying. This years bottom 6 is leaps and bounds better than last seasons, which creates more balance in the line-up.

Agreed, which is why my vote went to "top 6 forward". If they don't have to stick Bennett/Spaling/Downie into the top 6, the lineup becomes that much deeper.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:40 am

no name wrote:I hate to beat a dead horse but i point the finger at Bylsma, instead of playing SId and Geno all series long, if he had knowelege that Sids wrist was hurting. He should of used Sid as a decoy, giving Geno Kunitz and Neal and try to ride that line. I guess i have the luxury of hindsight to complain about this. But a injured Sid with a Malkin isn't going to make SId healthy. SHould of played Sid with Jokenin and Gibbons, Bylsma should of sold it to the media that he wanted a line with speed or something.

it's not beating a dead horse. it's an angle that hasn't gotten much play because he was already fired, but bylsma's lineup decisions (again) were appalling. if he didn't know sid's wrist was an issue, that's a whole different issue, but it's a safe bet that he knew about it. so he causes a ripple affect throughout the rest of the lineup by moving malkin so he could boost a player who wasn't going to be effective no matter what. he also leaves him on the top power play where he was an achilles to the whole unit. there's something to be said for discretion and secrecy with injuries, but to what end? the bylsma era is going to look worse and worse as years pass.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:49 am

I am so psyched to see Hornqvist play in a Pens jersey...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:06 am

Not sure why we haven't just re-signed Stempniak. He adds a player who can play any role on lines 1-4 and will be responsible defensively. We need more versatility. We have two stars. We have a gritty, goal scorer type on the wing for bot top lines. We have options for a "do a little of everything" guy for both lines as we'll That is more than most teams have.

Adding Stempniak to the mix provides a lot of flexibility since he can play up and down the lineup for a fraction of what a trade could cost us in terms of impact on the lineup.

He's not signed, so I don't assume he is looking at a huge payday.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:12 am

The Snapshot wrote:Not sure why we haven't just re-signed Stempniak. He adds a player who can play any role on lines 1-4 and will be responsible defensively. We need more versatility. We have two stars. We have a gritty, goal scorer type on the wing for bot top lines. We have options for a "do a little of everything" guy for both lines as we'll That is more than most teams have.

Adding Stempniak to the mix provides a lot of flexibility since he can play up and down the lineup for a fraction of what a trade could cost us in terms of impact on the lineup.

He's not signed, so I don't assume he is looking at a huge payday.

Because we don't have any cap space.

More or less though, I agree on the sentiment. I think Lee would be an upgrade to Jokinen. He looked like he's someone who can play a puck possession game quite well. If GMJR found a taker for Scuderi, Stempniak would be a decent use of that cap space. (Except for the fact that we have Bennett, Hornqvist, Downie, and Dupuis as our RW's already. Dupuis can move over to the left, but the others should stay on their natural wings.)
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:32 am

pcm wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:Not sure why we haven't just re-signed Stempniak.

If Spaling's award or signing comes in at or below $1.8 million and Sutter and Despres simply take their qualifiers we could land him for up to $1.9 million leaving pretty much no cap space. Unfortunately, getting Spaling back in the Neal deal could prevent us from getting a Stempniak, who on this team is a legit top 6 winger. Really hope Spaling is better than what he appears, with what we will end up paying him he will almost have to play on 2nd line LW.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:18 am

columbia wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Bennett-Jokinen-Kennedy

I feel certain that they wouldn't have been worse than what we saw. :pop:

Dressing 12 5 year old girls wouldn't have been worse than what we saw
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:23 am

DelPen wrote:
pcm wrote:

If Spaling's award or signing comes in at or below $1.8 million and Sutter and Despres simply take their qualifiers we could land him for up to $1.9 million leaving pretty much no cap space. Unfortunately, getting Spaling back in the Neal deal could prevent us from getting a Stempniak, who on this team is a legit top 6 winger. Really hope Spaling is better than what he appears, with what we will end up paying him he will almost have to play on 2nd line LW.

Great point Delpen, hopefully it becomes understood that Spaling added no value to the Neal deal. Daniel Winnik or Lee Stempniak would be better signings and better fits for this team's needs for around the same money.

If Rutherford would manage to move Scuderi, he could also free up enough space to sign either of those guys and create some depth. Dupuis, Bennett and Downie are three huge health risks in the top 9.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:38 am

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
DelPen wrote:
pcm wrote:

Great point Delpen, hopefully it becomes understood that Spaling added no value to the Neal deal. Daniel Winnik or Lee Stempniak would be better signings and better fits for this team's needs for around the same money.

If Rutherford would manage to move Scuderi, he could also free up enough space to sign either of those guys and create some depth. Dupuis, Bennett and Downie are three huge health risks in the top 9.

If taking him helped get Hornqvist here over Neal... then Spalding added value to the deal.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:01 pm

Better cheese for the nachos.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:05 pm

Im in the minority that the team looks good for now. We have a core team that showed the ability to make a deeper run than they did, and the changes seem to be in place to yield a different result. I'm interested to see how the guys react, and who responds the strongest.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:50 pm

I would like to add one category. "Defensive" offensive defenseman. You know. The one Kris Letang isn't. :face:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:24 pm

Jim wrote:
Chirpin' Grinder wrote:
DelPen wrote:
pcm wrote:

If taking him helped get Hornqvist here over Neal... then Spalding added value to the deal.

We took Spaling because we wanted him. It wasn't a salary dump or a contract spot coming back. Either team could have walked away at any time - until arbitration was filed.

And re: UFAs, it takes two to tango. Players have to want to sign here as well. Maybe the organization didn't want Stempniak back (or vice versa). Maybe Winnik doesn't want to play in the East - or wants $3+ million. He is not shy about trying to squeeze every dollar out of his contracts.

We obviously saw added value in bringing in Spaling or else, ya know, we just wouldn't have done so...simple. Now, you might not like Spaling, but that's a completely different story.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:53 pm

I would've been a-ok with a straight up 1 for 1 with Horny and Neal so getting Spalding's rights is sort of a bonus.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:55 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:I would've been a-ok with a straight up 1 for 1 with Horny and Neal so getting Spalding's rights is sort of a bonus.

Seconded :thumb:
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:I would've been a-ok with a straight up 1 for 1 with Horny and Neal so getting Spalding's rights is sort of a bonus.

Seconded :thumb:

Thirded. Love Horny's game.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins