At this point our biggest need?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

What do we need the most

bottom 6 depth forward
13%
top 6 winger
43%
a defensive defenseman
9%
an offensive defenseman
No votes
a "leader type"
11%
a new starting goalie.
2%
Our team looks good now
4%
our team will due till the trading deadline.
15%
Other
4%

Total votes : 122

Re: At this point our biggest need?

Postby no name on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:27 pm

I think with the top 6 winger winning out on the poll i think its right on. Weather people take into the concideration the drop effect it has with all the other forwards. Your bottom 6 gets stronger when Dupuis falls there, or if you choose to put Bennette on the 3rd line. Add in a true top 6 it strenghtens your bottom 6. Sign a Stempniak and he is a versital forward who can give you top line minutes and can also drop onto the 3rd line if need be.

Also holding down a lead you might want Duper on a top line to play a defensive concious roll.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:32 pm

Weather people are rarely correct though... :slug:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:47 pm

mikey287 wrote:Weather people are rarely correct though... :slug:

I am actually laughing...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:04 pm

Cut me a break guys English is my second language. Nuff said.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:08 pm

no name wrote:Cut me a break guys English is my second language. Nuff said.

What's your first?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Jim on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:09 pm

columbia wrote:

What's your first?

Pittsburghese :)
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:19 pm

Sorry, I had no idea. I was just goofin'...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:01 pm

Jim wrote:

Opposed to fictitiously laughing
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby Jim on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:40 am

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
Jim wrote:

Opposed to fictitiously laughing

As opposed to someone just saying "lol" but not actually sitting there laughing out loud.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby rgj on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:50 am

I voted for "other."

Methinks we need a new arena. There's space across the street from CEC.
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:48 am

rgj wrote:I voted for "other."

Methinks we need a new arena. There's space across the street from CEC.

This brings up an interesting argument for letting that lot sit. They can build the next arena in 25 years there!
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf66 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:15 pm

I need a miracle..... everyday!

And a top 6 winger.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sams_Dog on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:24 pm

“It’s a situation where they wanted there to be some change — not just in the way that we play, but culturally and in how things went on,” Hynes said. “It was a real thorough process. I think those are the biggest things." This is a polite, PC way of saying "We have leadership and locker room issues. Several people have said it and it is why they hired Guerin and Tocchet. I would be willing to bet that the off ice issues are a good deal worse than people think. This is not good. Culture = work ethic and attitude. Cohesiveness = cliques in the locker room and poor communication amongst the players. That is the job of the captain and the assistant captains, the vets. The fact that Mario and Burkle had to address this is not good. SUre, Bylsma had some responsibility too but it seems like he was tuned out. This worries me.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/peng ... 1407170199
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GeoTank on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:30 pm

Sams_Dog wrote:“It’s a situation where they wanted there to be some change — not just in the way that we play, but culturally and in how things went on,” Hynes said. “It was a real thorough process. I think those are the biggest things." This is a polite, PC way of saying "We have leadership and locker room issues. Several people have said it and it is why they hired Guerin and Tocchet. I would be willing to bet that the off ice issues are a good deal worse than people think. This is not good. Culture = work ethic and attitude. Cohesiveness = cliques in the locker room and poor communication amongst the players. That is the job of the captain and the assistant captains, the vets. The fact that Mario and Burkle had to address this is not good. SUre, Bylsma had some responsibility too but it seems like he was tuned out. This worries me.

Wow i saw the start of the third quote and couldn't stop reading.... i couldn't believe Hynes would say all that. then i read to see what else he said and now realize that is your thoughts not his. please be more careful with your " " some might not read the artical and next week are quoting Hynes saying "the off ice issues are a good deal worse than people think."...... which isn't the case.

Nice quick read though, thanks for the link
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby iceolater on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:35 am

Freeing up some Cap space somehow, some way. I feel confident with our D and what we have upcoming to help improve this team. As far as Wingers, we still need a top notch winger to play with Sid or Geno. Also, I still would like more "Toughness" added to this team. Downie is not afraid to get his nose dirty and challenge others, but I am talking about someone bigger and can send a message if need be. Like a Bissonette. Would rather see him on the 4th line than Adams, especially with Duper coming back and Goc who can help out in the short handed scenerio.
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:46 am

The culture strats with Shero and ends with Bylsma for the most part. The players whe are still here from when Therrien was coach and drafted by Patrick played fine without the country cliub mentality or whatever we say this team devolve too in the last few seasons.

This season is big to see of the core can right the ship again.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:56 am

DelPen wrote:The culture strats with Shero and ends with Bylsma for the most part. The players whe are still here from when Therrien was coach and drafted by Patrick played fine without the country cliub mentality or whatever we say this team devolve too in the last few seasons.

Fired GM/Coach/released UFA vets. If the ship isn't righted, the Core is the thing that gets changed next.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:32 am

Who is 'the core'? Is it similar to 'the clique'?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby wondermoose on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:16 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
DelPen wrote:The culture strats with Shero and ends with Bylsma for the most part. The players whe are still here from when Therrien was coach and drafted by Patrick played fine without the country cliub mentality or whatever we say this team devolve too in the last few seasons.

Fired GM/Coach/released UFA vets. If the ship isn't righted, the Core is the thing that gets changed next.

There are inner and outer cores. The inner core is going to be Sid and Malkin and the outer is Fleury and Letang.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sams_Dog on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:16 pm

GeoTank wrote:
Sams_Dog wrote:“It’s a situation where they wanted there to be some change — not just in the way that we play, but culturally and in how things went on,” Hynes said. “It was a real thorough process. I think those are the biggest things." This is a polite, PC way of saying "We have leadership and locker room issues. Several people have said it and it is why they hired Guerin and Tocchet. I would be willing to bet that the off ice issues are a good deal worse than people think. This is not good. Culture = work ethic and attitude. Cohesiveness = cliques in the locker room and poor communication amongst the players. That is the job of the captain and the assistant captains, the vets. The fact that Mario and Burkle had to address this is not good. SUre, Bylsma had some responsibility too but it seems like he was tuned out. This worries me.

Wow i saw the start of the third quote and couldn't stop reading.... i couldn't believe Hynes would say all that. then i read to see what else he said and now realize that is your thoughts not his. please be more careful with your " " some might not read the artical and next week are quoting Hynes saying "the off ice issues are a good deal worse than people think."...... which isn't the case.

Nice quick read though, thanks for the link

My fault. I shouldn't have put those in there.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:50 pm

Our biggest need is a top 6 left handed LW. It doesn't need to happen now though. Here's what I expect.
1. RFAs signed. Depending especially on the length of Sutter's deal, that will determine whether he is a trade chip or a long term asset.
2. Season starts with Maatta and Pouliot on the shelf. Young guys get time to play and Scuderi has a chance to prove he isn't worthless
3. Maatta comes back, creating a bigger logjam on D.
4. Sometime November - Trade Deadline a defenseman: Scuderi and/or one of the young guys showcased early on, is moved for a LW. Sutter and/or Martin could be involved here as well depending on contracts.
5. Profit.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:24 pm

Our biggest need is a top 6 left handed LW

I listened to Madden on the ride home, he was saying Sid is torn, he wants to play with Duper and Kunitz cause of the comfort level he has with them. But he would love a right handed shot to work with to set up and be set up.

We got Hornqvist if he wants that. I would love to see a line of Horny-Sid-Kuny. Only problem is Malkin ends up with Bennette and Duper as his wings as good as Geno is i dont see him generating much offence with thoes guys as his wingers.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:28 pm

no name wrote:
Our biggest need is a top 6 left handed LW

I listened to Madden on the ride home, he was saying Sid is torn, he wants to play with Duper and Kunitz cause of the comfort level he has with them. But he would love a right handed shot to work with to set up and be set up.

We got Hornqvist if he wants that. I would love to see a line of Horny-Sid-Kuny. Only problem is Malkin ends up with Bennette and Duper as his wings as good as Geno is i dont see him generating much offence with thoes guys as his wingers.

And to be honest... Bennette to me isn't never going to be anything more than a 15 goal scorer at best. Heard he was supposed to be agood play maker but that hasn't shown any fruit yet. Hope i am wrong about the kid. Seems like a Morosov type. All flash and no results.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:13 pm

Bennett
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wondermoose on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:04 pm

I think Bennett is eventually going to get shipped. He is at his best when he's got the puck on his stick and, unfortunately, that'll never happen on the top two lines. I thought he has looked his best, by far, playing with Sutter where he could carry the puck and be creative.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins