Crosby NOT having wrist surgery

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Crosby NOT having wrist surgery

Postby Penspal on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:15 am

I'd have put this news in the other thread, but its locked.

Curious in that if he is not able to rehab the wrist successfully, then he will likely have the surgery and maybe miss games?

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=726229
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Crosby NOT having wrist surgery

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:19 am

I heard that the damage to his neck from choking so badly in the playoffs was more of a concern.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:20 am

There's no way to speculate on this in any informed manner.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Penspal on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:27 am

columbia wrote:There's no way to speculate on this in any informed manner.

The choking or decision to not have surgery now? I don't think its a reach to say he's trying a non surgical route now, and if it fails, it goes to surgery?

It comforts me (whatever that means) to think Sid had a playoff injury that affected his gameplay to some degree.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby helmespc on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:39 am

Something something wrist meat something.
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Orlando Penguin on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:24 pm

This is my first foray into this topic. My biggest worry with this decision is what happens 2 months from now when he goes thru drills and training camp (and even preseason games) and it's still bothering him. THEN they decide on surgery and that crushes 3/4 of his season. I've seen it in other sports (baseball mostly) where they think rehabbing in the offseason will keep the surgery at bay but then it doesn't get any better and the player has to miss games in the meat of the season. I'd prefer, obviously, if he's gonna miss games, miss them in October/November by having the surgery now.
Orlando Penguin
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:31 pm

Paging Dr. Recchi...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:19 pm

columbia wrote:There's no way to speculate on this in any informed manner.

Yep. Don't know if the injury is related to tendons, muscles, bones or a combination thereof.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:23 pm

If the doctors are saying rehab is the way to go i say go there. If they are saying surgery and SId is saying i want rehab then i got a problem.

I wonder how involved the Penguins get in these decisions. If you told Sid surgery now will cause youto miss the first 2 months of the season, youknow he might not like idea. But you have to look at what makes you ready for the playoffs more
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:34 pm

Shad will blame Sid.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:35 pm

newarenanow wrote:Shad will blame Sid.

Is this a sign Sid is headed with FSU to the Big 12?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:50 pm

The flip-flopping (rehab, surgery, no surgery, rehab...) is a little disconcerting. Sid doesn't have the best history of doctor-patient-team-media relationships. Hopefully rehab works and there's no need for surgery. But the apparent reluctance to have surgery seems odd, given what's at stake.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby rgj on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:14 pm

To me the flip-flopping is more than disconcerting. The total lack of honesty by Crosby, the Pens, and the medical staff reeks. Everyone denied Crosby had an injury. Last week he needed surgery. This week he doesn't. I don't want to see anyone injured or have difficulty in their recovery from injury. But this is almost too much. I am skeptical. It angers me a bit that I am not sure whether Crosby is telling the truth at all.

Crosby is certainly beginning to wear thin with the off season excuses. Get ready for a "lingering upper or lower body injury (depending on how he hangs his arms)" during the season. I'm thinking he'll start the season, regress to the injured list, come back two or three times during the season, come back at the start of the playoffs. It's becoming quite the Pens tradition.
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:24 pm

I don't know that the flip-flopping is any sign of deceitfulness. It might just be one of those injuries that is right on the borderline when it comes to surgery or physical therapy being the preferred treatment. Different doctors might have different thoughts, and Crosby himself might be unsure which way to go. My worry is that this is a sign of chronic issue that doesn't have a clear fix.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:40 pm

yikes why are all these threads locked?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:26 pm

rgj wrote:To me the flip-flopping is more than disconcerting. The total lack of honesty by Crosby, the Pens, and the medical staff reeks. Everyone denied Crosby had an injury. Last week he needed surgery. This week he doesn't. I don't want to see anyone injured or have difficulty in their recovery from injury. But this is almost too much. I am skeptical. It angers me a bit that I am not sure whether Crosby is telling the truth at all.

Crosby is certainly beginning to wear thin with the off season excuses. Get ready for a "lingering upper or lower body injury (depending on how he hangs his arms)" during the season. I'm thinking he'll start the season, regress to the injured list, come back two or three times during the season, come back at the start of the playoffs. It's becoming quite the Pens tradition.

I think Crosby specificially did not mention the wrist injury in his exit interviews to avoid the appearance of making excuses. His potential need for surgery was leaked, I don't know that he intended to have the media know anything about the situation. So it's no surprise to me that that might not have been 100% accurate, and hard for me to fault him for conflicting information that is circulating.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:38 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:I heard that the damage to his neck from choking so badly in the playoffs was more of a concern.

DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TrueNorth on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:08 pm

I don’t think there is any flip-flopping. It was the media and not Sid or the Pens organization that decided to run with the story that Sid needed surgery. Last week Rutherford stated quite clearly that no decision had been made in that regard, and that they would know more early this week, presumably after further assessment and consultation. I am assuming that after carefully considering the benefits and potential risks of going ahead with surgery, it has been determined that continued therapy is the preferred option--at least at this point. As has been suggested, it may very well be one of those injuries where there is no clear cut answer as far as treatment goes.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:41 pm

I find it more disconcerting that fans and/or media find it a need to know what is going on with players at all times, as if they deserve to know everything.

If the guy has an injury, let it be. Let him recover. We don't need to know everything.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:49 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I find it more disconcerting that fans and/or media find it a need to know what is going on with players at all times, as if they deserve to know everything.

If the guy has an injury, let it be. Let him recover. We don't need to know everything.

Bettors beg to differ
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:55 pm

#BlameShafnutz
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:26 am

largegarlic wrote:My worry is that this is a sign of chronic issue that doesn't have a clear fix.

THat is what I worry about myself. I can say that coming from someone who has a wrist injury that can't be fixed no mater what they do. Its just something I have to live with until arthritis sets in and I can't take the pain any more. Then I get to have all my wrist bones fused together and lose 70% of my range of motion.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:32 am

So today Molinari is reporting Sid's agent said sugery hasn't been ruled out. After additional consultations, it was decided to continue with therapy.

The agent said the therapy is "Some kind of shot. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't".

Ok...
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Beveridge on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:36 am

I understand not wanting to do surgery and go through that rehab, but I fear chances are good that it will be required and it will be worse to do it later than do it now.

Of course I'm stating my opinion from a fan's perspective so I'm biased on him just doing it now to offset any chance of it needing to be done once the season starts.

On a side note, Sutter's agent probably was seeing $$$ when this news broke.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:46 am

Rocco wrote:

Is this a sign Sid is headed with FSU to the Big 12?

No.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins