Expectations of Maata year 2

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Expectations of Maata year 2

Postby 100565 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:26 pm

Assuming Maata returns from injury without any lingering symptoms, how does he perform this year?
I think he will struggle a bit. At his best, I see him as a #3-#4 type defenseman in the league, but he will not perform to that level this year.

To me, many fans have much higher expectations. Many fans will wish the Pens had traded him while his value was at the highest.

Re: Expectations of Maata year 2

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:36 pm

i dont think i have heard or trade trade and maata in teh same sentence ever.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:39 pm

Wut
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:42 pm

I would say the opposite. It seems to me that most fans have pretty tempered expectations for Maatta, especially given his injury. Defenseman able to come in and handle the game as teenagers are much more rare than forwards. He pretty much blew everyone away as far as what he was able to accomplish last year. I don't think many people are expecting to be blown away again.

That said, his success was rooted in his maturity. He seemed to be able to come in, adapt to the level of play, and make small, but meaningful strides to improve his game throughout the season. This is the kind of steady, incremental development path I would project from him (rather than marked highs and lows).

He slowed down at the end of last year because of the mental and physical wear of a long season. This is to be expected, and something that he can be better prepared for in year 2.

I don't expect a sophmore slump at all, tbh. Though if it happens, it happens. Essentially, he's Orpik's replacement in the top 4. I believe he'll be better this year than Orpik was last year.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:50 pm

100565 wrote:Assuming Maata returns from injury without any lingering symptoms, how does he perform this year?
I think he will struggle a bit. At his best, I see him as a #3-#4 type defenseman in the league, but he will not perform to that level this year.

To me, many fans have much higher expectations. Many fans will wish the Pens had traded him while his value was at the highest.

What is your reason for such low expectations?

We have seen it before - Tyler Myers a most recent example. But, I don't expect a big drop off from Maatta myself. He seems like such a smart, patient player that he should continue to improve year over year for the forseeable future.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:51 pm

Maata will have to deal with the combined potential of a "sophomore slump" and starting the season without training camp due to injury rehab.

Ollie will have the summer to better prepare mentally, and I hope he's "on par" with last year, maybe showing a little more jam night in, night out. So no real large expectations from this corner.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:02 pm

I somehow think that if he would have done worse, we could be looking to his blossoming in his second year into a solid defenseman. But no, because he dared to perform admirably in his rookie season, we should have traded him.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:06 pm

He'll be better in April+ than he was last year; that's my prediction.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:16 pm

The next Lidstrom. Book it.

Spoiler:
Then file it under fiction.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:20 pm

Set up to fail given the circumstances: Tough injury, no training camp, great rookie year, sophomore slump, new coaches, new system, new partner...

I'd be pretty content with "positive contributor to success" at this point...and then as he starts to play some games again, that expectation level can re-calibrate slightly as needed...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:39 pm

I always expect a bit of a sophomore slump to some degree from players. That being said I expect a decent season. Maybe not something super impressive, but I have a feeling we'll see a bit more of his growing pains.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:41 pm

darkstar57 wrote:i dont think i have heard or trade trade and maata in teh same sentence ever.

Well some might think the Pens need to get younger, so trading him makes sense at this point...
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BuckintheLou on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:54 pm

I'd say the attitude in the room this year may have great bearing on his performance.
If the room is a downer he very well may fall in with the majority.
If there's actually a leader in the room, he may not slump at all.
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:04 pm

Maata is going to be a free agent in 3-4 years. We should be open to trading him. It's just smart asset management.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:05 pm

Crankshaft wrote:Maata is going to be a free agent in 3-4 years. We should be open to trading him. It's just smart asset management.

I wouldn't mind trading you.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:06 pm

At times i was blown away with Maata and how calm and controled he played. Way over expectations. So its is hard not to get ahead of ones self in thinking of what he can do his second year. But you have to be cautious with him and give him controled minutes even if he is showing good signs.

Good thread though, he is a wild card in a sence of if he performs at a high level again, he could give you to the option to make a move on the blueline (trading a vet) while bumping up his profile on the defence.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:07 pm

M-A-A-T-T-A
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:13 pm

columbia wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:Maata is going to be a free agent in 3-4 years. We should be open to trading him. It's just smart asset management.

Before you trade him you should bring up another poster from the minors to see if he can fill his slot in the line up.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:13 pm

no name wrote:At times i was blown away with Maata and how calm and controled he played.

What you're seeing is poise, hockey sense and a reasonably high panic threshold. Not things that you're used to seeing in our own defensemen. Good that it stands out to you, as they are very important factors in making a good defenseman.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:30 pm

no name wrote:
columbia wrote:

Before you trade him you should bring up another poster from the minors to see if he can fill his slot in the line up.

True. Maybe Godric is ready for a tryout contract.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:36 pm

Sophomore Slump!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:44 pm

Plus he's 19, in two years he's going to be old and on the decline. Might as well get him for some young unproven talent now.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:46 pm

The things that make Maatta stand out are things that most young players don't have...thats what they get as they mature. Don't expect the normal development curve with him...by starting with those things, he's a lot closer to his ceiling than most players his age or even 5 years older than him. Where we can hope to see growth is in conditioning. Hope he keeps the same game and turns into a huge minutes eater...or that he develops a couple skills, because he isn't growing into hockey sense and calmness under pressure that most young high end d prospects grow into. No one should expect him taking huge leaps at any point ever ...because those huge leaps come when you finally figure things out, and he has those things figured out. His huge leap was not looking out of place in his rookie season.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:46 pm

At least you backed up your opinion in the OP with some kind of reasoning/insight :slug:
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby GeoTank on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:01 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:

Plus he's 19, in two years he's going to be old and on the decline. Might as well get him for some young unproven talent now.

Maybe we can sign a mid 30's guy to an extension till he's into his 40's even though he will soon be on the decline and he's never helped us win a damn thing. :fist:
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins