2014 Development Camp, Day 3 report is up...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

2014 Development Camp, Day 3 report is up...

Postby netwolf on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:38 pm

As always, questions/comments welcome!

http://letsgopens.com/camp_reports.php?id=92
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,446
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 1 report is up...

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:53 pm

Scott Harrington was the first guy out, and he was pretty impressive defensively in his group. He rarely got caught out of position and was pretty good at knocking the puck away with his stick.


Yeah, that's sounds like Harrington.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,649
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 1 report is up...

Postby skullman80 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:55 pm

As always many thanks Net. Look forward to your reports every year.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,070
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:55 am
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 1 report is up...

Postby Beveridge on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:59 pm

Many of the drills done today were mostly the kind done just to get guys moving around; lots of skating and passing. However, a couple might have given a little insight as to how new head coach Mike Johnston will want the Pens to play this year.

One of them was a full-ice, five-on-none breakout drill. Two forwards always came down low to the side where the defenseman with the puck was. The defenseman moved the puck to one of the forwards and they headed up ice. The third forward started high on the other side of the ice and diagonally cut over to the same side the puck was coming up to serve as another passing outlet. The longest first pass a defenseman had to make couldn't have been more than 10-15'.

The second drill was a two-on-two, half-ice game of sorts. Johnston would dump a puck in and two forwards would attack against two defensemen. I couldn't hear everything that was said, but it seemed like the defensemen got a point it they were able to skate the puck out of the zone. The forwards got one if they were able to generate quality shots on goal. It's only two drills, but they at least hint at the end of the stretch pass and putting an emphasis on controlling the puck.


I imagine Murphydump's reaction to reading this was somewhere between

Image and Image
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,852
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:38 pm
Location: Punxsutawney

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 1 report is up...

Postby ffemtreed on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:02 pm

Nice job! I always look forward to these camp reports.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,813
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:32 am
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 1 report is up...

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks Netwolf!
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,881
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:31 am
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 1 report is up...

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:44 pm

Beveridge wrote:
Many of the drills done today were mostly the kind done just to get guys moving around; lots of skating and passing. However, a couple might have given a little insight as to how new head coach Mike Johnston will want the Pens to play this year.

One of them was a full-ice, five-on-none breakout drill. Two forwards always came down low to the side where the defenseman with the puck was. The defenseman moved the puck to one of the forwards and they headed up ice. The third forward started high on the other side of the ice and diagonally cut over to the same side the puck was coming up to serve as another passing outlet. The longest first pass a defenseman had to make couldn't have been more than 10-15'.

The second drill was a two-on-two, half-ice game of sorts. Johnston would dump a puck in and two forwards would attack against two defensemen. I couldn't hear everything that was said, but it seemed like the defensemen got a point it they were able to skate the puck out of the zone. The forwards got one if they were able to generate quality shots on goal. It's only two drills, but they at least hint at the end of the stretch pass and putting an emphasis on controlling the puck.


I imagine Murphydump's reaction to reading this was somewhere between

Image and Image


All stretch pass and no breakouts makes Murphydump a dull boy.

Great to hear and thanks for the report!
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,150
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:06 pm
Location: Thunder Bay

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 1 report is up...

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:54 pm

Awesome as usual Mr Wolf.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,871
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:55 pm
Location: Official Friend of Mayor Peduto

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 1 report is up...

Postby ville5 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:19 pm

Thanks for the insight Eric.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,911
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 1 report is up...

Postby MWW on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:52 am

Thank you very much netwolf
MWW
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:39 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany: Back Home at last !!!!

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 1 report is up...

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:54 am

I'd be disappointed if Harrington didn't stand out in this setting.

Thanks, netbot!
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,814
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 1 report is up...

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:54 am

thoughts on the local boy Lafferty? Curious what you think of him?
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:12 pm
Location: H-burg

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 1 report is up...

Postby Penspal on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:21 pm

Thanks Netwolf!
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,643
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 1 report is up...

Postby netwolf on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:36 pm

Thanks guys. I haven't noticed Lafferty much good or bad to this point.

Day 2 thoughts are here: http://letsgopens.com/camp_reports.php?id=93
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,446
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 2 report is up...

Postby slipshod on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:35 pm

Great report. Thank you!
slipshod
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:17 am

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 2 report is up...

Postby offsides on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:36 pm

"Kasperi Kapanen stood out the most for me here. He was strong on the puck, holding on to it until a good play became available. He was very good at using his skating and stickhandling to maintain control of the puck, even under pressure. His passes were crisp and on-target."

Well, that sounds really good. THANKS Net. :thumb:
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,554
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 2 report is up...

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:15 pm

So those who know more about Dea, what are the chances he turns into an NHLer for us? I know we brought him aboard overage and that he's super skinny, but apparently he has some skills and a scoring pedigree in juniors. What's his upside/potential for us?
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 8:40 am
Location: Virginia

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 2 report is up...

Postby neophool on Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:31 pm

Good to hear Nick D'Agostino stood out in a good way. I still think he can be a good #5-6 that can fill in at #4 a bit eventually.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,372
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:36 am
Location: The Dumps

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 2 report is up...

Postby penny lane on Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:38 pm

Thank-you for the updates !
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 29,094
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Have fun, kick butt!

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 2 report is up...

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:40 pm

neophool wrote:Good to hear Nick D'Agostino stood out in a good way. I still think he can be a good #5-6 that can fill in at #4 a bit eventually.


Maybe. He took a step-back in his development his first year in WBS. Now, everyone will react to the pro-game differently. Samuelsson for instance was a mess his first year, but Dagger also has a few years on him. Hopefully he can follow a similar progression, but the odds on him making it to the NHL for the Pens are quite slim -- maybe with somebody else.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,624
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 2 report is up...

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:56 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
neophool wrote:Good to hear Nick D'Agostino stood out in a good way. I still think he can be a good #5-6 that can fill in at #4 a bit eventually.


Maybe. He took a step-back in his development his first year in WBS. Now, everyone will react to the pro-game differently. Samuelsson for instance was a mess his first year, but Dagger also has a few years on him. Hopefully he can follow a similar progression, but the odds on him making it to the NHL for the Pens are quite slim -- maybe with somebody else.


Who is Dagger?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,740
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 11:35 am

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 2 report is up...

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:57 pm

I would assume D'Agostino?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,540
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 2 report is up...

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:36 pm

Sorry, I would've assumed it was more or less obviously about D'Agostino, considering the subject of the post.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,624
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 3 report is up...

Postby netwolf on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:45 pm

Day 3 of development camp saw tons of 3 on 3 scrimmaging. Find out who stood out here: http://letsgopens.com/camp_reports.php?id=94
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,446
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 3 report is up...

Postby pcm on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:26 pm

How many guys here will end up getting invites to the Pens' camp? I vaguely recall about 45-50 guys on the opening list. I'd assume guys headed for WBS (Zlobin, Dea, etc) will be there. But what about Sunqdvist or guys going back to college and Jrs, like Tristan Jarry or Guentzal? A few of them perhaps... if so, I'd guess this dev camp is a bit of a tryout for a bigger tryout?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,801
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:39 am
Location: mountains

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Defence21, jcgopens, Realist and 25 guests


e-mail