2014 Development Camp, Day 3 report is up...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2014 Development Camp, Day 3 report is up...

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:46 pm

Was reading Day 2 from 2005, found this and it made me LOL

Crosby almost set off another skirmish at one point where he took a swipe and Caron's glove after he had covered up the puck. Carcillo let him know about it, then Talbot came in to get on Carcillo. Bonvie had words for Talbot, but nothing else really happened. Bonvie hooked Crosby down a little later when 87 was looking to get to the net and it looked like something might happen again, but nothing did.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavement on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:54 pm

Thanks Netwolf, really enjoying reading these.
Pavement
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:40 pm

pcm wrote:How many guys here will end up getting invites to the Pens' camp? I vaguely recall about 45-50 guys on the opening list. I'd assume guys headed for WBS (Zlobin, Dea, etc) will be there. But what about Sunqdvist or guys going back to college and Jrs, like Tristan Jarry or Guentzal? A few of them perhaps... if so, I'd guess this dev camp is a bit of a tryout for a bigger tryout?

It's hard to say, because it will be the first training camp under Rutherford and Johnston. How many prospects get an invite depends greatly on what they'll be looking to do. I would think anyone that's signed to an NHL deal would be there. You can see that list here: http://www.capgeek.com/penguins/reserve-list/

Unsigned college guys like Guentzel don't always go due to NCAA regulations requiring them to pay their own way.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:09 pm

Thanks Net. Signing Despres, Spaling, and Sutter would put us at 50 contracts. That's our max right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but we can't bring anyone in unless we let someone go. And the only way to lose contracts at this point is via trade or guys claimed on waivers?

Would this also mean that guys on tryouts could only sign an AHL-only contract? I'd hoped to bring Conor Sheary into the fold after he lit the lamp in WBS' playoffs.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:15 pm

Kapanen will slide (unless he makes the club, and if he makes the club then we don't need to make another signing, you figure), that will leave us at 49. Even at 49, I wouldn't be signing anyone because I'd - personally - like to have a contract spot open for emergencies...

To add one way to lose a contract, we'll have a 48 hour window to execute an ordinary course buyout of a player after an arbitration hearing is held or settled...given that the Pens, to my recollection, have only ever bought out Shane Endicott and Sebastien Caron, it seems like an unlikely route...but if they really felt the need, they could jettison a contract like that...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:15 pm

Thanks again. Always well done
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:07 pm

I'd feel terrible for any player that joins a list that only includes Endicott and Caron.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:18 pm

As always, thanks Netwolf, its always a good read.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:12 am

what do you think the odds are that Kap makes the roster?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby pcm on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:23 am

I know this new regime is not the most media "cunning", but the way they're talking up Kapanen's chances of making the team, tells me that they're really hoping he makes it. The way Maatta (do all teenage Finns have the same face?) handled himself last year, they're primed for it.

So it's just up to him. Can he take the phsycial game and skate with our regulars? I wouldn't doubt we see him on a line with Geno one preseason game, and he shows us something there that no one else on the roster quite can.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:29 am

pcm wrote:I know this new regime is not the most media "cunning", but the way they're talking up Kapanen's chances of making the team, tells me that they're really hoping he makes it. The way Maatta (do all teenage Finns have the same face?) handled himself last year, they're primed for it.

So it's just up to him. Can he take the phsycial game and skate with our regulars? I wouldn't doubt we see him on a line with Geno one preseason game, and he shows us something there that no one else on the roster quite can.

Yea, Josh Yohe was just on TribRadio again talking up Kapanen on the opening night roster based on what he is hearing from the new regime.

:face:

Desperation on the cusp of madness. The kid is just too small and there is no way he is physically capable of surviving an 82 game season and playoffs.

I am all for going young, but if he "makes the team" it will be due to Rutherford's failure to add a legit top 6 option.
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:29 am

Let's wait and see...either way.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby pcm on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:50 am

Yeah really. There's no basis for him being "too small to physically withstand a season" at this point, other than it fitting into your narrative of angst and chagrin. It might be the case, but there's plenty of evidence of players for whom this is not true. Why not just take a breather, and wait and see, like the rest of us?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:02 am

If he proves in camp and pre-season that he is one of the best 23 guys(or however many they carry).. then by all means he gets a spot. You play your best players no matter the age. If he shows he belongs he should stay, if he doesn't than that's fine too, but to definitively write him off one way or the other is silly.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:41 am

Chirpin' Grinder wrote:Desperation on the cusp of madness.

sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Chirpin' Grinder on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:33 pm

pcm wrote:Yeah really. There's no basis for him being "too small to physically withstand a season" at this point, other than it fitting into your narrative of angst and chagrin. It might be the case, but there's plenty of evidence of players for whom this is not true. Why not just take a breather, and wait and see, like the rest of us?

Its not like I don't want it to happen. I'd love to see the kid set camp on fire, have instant chemistry with Malkin and score 30 this season and then contribute through a long march to the Final.

I just look at his frame and consider the physical punishment that a top 6 NHL wing who likes to have the puck on his stick must endure, and find it extremely unlikely that this skinny 17 year old kid, despite his obvious physical gifts, can handle it over the long course of an NHL season and, more importantly, for the playoffs.

You also have to factor in what is best for his long term development. Looking at the current (lack of) depth chart, I could see him being one of the best 23 after camp. But where would he be after 40 games? After 80?

Interesting thought;
Would it be possible for Kapanen to play the season in Finland, then come over and join the Pens for the last 9 games of the regular season and be available for the playoffs without burning an ELC season?
Chirpin' Grinder
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:32 pm

9 NHL or playoff games. Meter is still running in the playoffs, AIUI.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:37 pm

mikey287 wrote:9 NHL or playoff games. Meter is still running in the playoffs, AIUI.

Bingo its 9 NHL games (Regardless of Playoffs or Reg Season)

i also don't see the logic of throwing a 18 yr at the point into a playoff atmosphere. He wont have been with the team all year, so you are going to give him 9 games to get the feel of the NHL level.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby BigMcK on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:17 pm

Given the current field of rookie NHL players, is Kapanen capable of contending for the Calder based on what little time he has seen the ice and scouting reports against other rookies?
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:28 pm

Gotta think Drouin will lead the charge for the Calder...

(but I'd say let Kapanen make the team first before we talk about ROTY awards.)
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:33 pm

You're probably looking at older players like Evgeni Kuznetsov, Johnny Gaudreau and then of course Jonathan Drouin to lead the way...maybe John Gibson...but he's got a long way to go to make this team, let alone snag a Calder...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Factorial on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:04 pm

sil wrote:
Chirpin' Grinder wrote:Desperation on the cusp of madness.

I thought Bylsma being canned would calm him down but I'm starting to think the :scared: in his posts will remain regardless of what happens.

As for KK, let's see how he does in camp.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:05 am

BigMcK wrote:Given the current field of rookie NHL players, is Kapanen capable of contending for the Calder based on what little time he has seen the ice and scouting reports against other rookies?

Here's a nice breakdown, if interested: http://espn.go.com/fantasy/hockey/story ... -15-season
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins