Simon Despres re-signed

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Simon Despres reigned

Postby offsides on Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:08 pm

pens_srq wrote:Biggest part of Despres game that is missing: NHL Ice Time.

I agree with this and hopefully we will get to find out if we are right.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:17 pm

For the people who keep bringing up ice time, does it not bother you that he didn't do that well with AHL ice time?

I'm not saying he's a dud, but I'm not keen on completely dismissing the former coaching regime's treatment of him either. He was never remarkable. Infinitely better than Scuderi? Of course, but my 11 year old looks better than Scuderi.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:51 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:35 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:For the people who keep bringing up ice time, does it not bother you that he didn't do that well with AHL ice time?

I'm not saying he's a dud, but I'm not keen on completely dismissing the former coaching regime's treatment of him either. He was never remarkable. Infinitely better than Scuderi? Of course, but my 11 year old looks better than Scuderi.

There were times when

Cardboard Orpik > dog doo > Despres

Some argue that's when Simon needed to play through it. Others say he was given time to play through it and deservedly sat and was sent down.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bh on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:41 am

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:And Bortz looks like a giraffe which is pretty cool
Thanks for the chuckle. :thumb:
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:44 am

Calling Scuderi dog doo seems a little harsh.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:06 am

Where did this idea Despres didn't do well with AHL ice time come from. There was a stretch where he was complete crap but that was after getting mind **** in Pittsburgh but he, with Samulesson, were pretty much the best pair all year for WBS. Them with Bortuzzo would be a great third pairing this year rotating in.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_srq on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:21 am

The guy was playing for the Pens in the playoffs the previous year. And he played well for a rookie even. Then he gets no chance the next year and is buried in WBS. I do not find it odd at all that he would have a few bad stretches in the AHL.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:25 am

Wasn't the problem with Despres coachability issues? Basically the coaches were saying "Do this, don't do that and work on the other" and he was like "screw you, screw you and ... no."
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_srq on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:27 am

Jim wrote:Wasn't the problem with Despres coachability issues? Basically the coaches were saying "Do this, don't do that and work on the other" and he was like "screw you, screw you and ... no."

Those are rumors. We obviously have no facts there. But it would seem to me that it would be hard to make this evaluation if you didn't actually play him at the NHL level.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:30 am

pens_srq wrote:
Jim wrote:Wasn't the problem with Despres coachability issues? Basically the coaches were saying "Do this, don't do that and work on the other" and he was like "screw you, screw you and ... no."

Those are rumors. We obviously have no facts there. But it would seem to me that it would be hard to make this evaluation if you didn't actually play him at the NHL level.

Wouldn't you be able to make that evaluation at every level?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:32 am

Given the extent of our coaching issues, I wouldn't put any stock in rumors of coachability issues.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:33 am

pens_srq wrote:

I don't see how this matters. If he's an egomaniac in the AHL, what will magically change in the NHL (not that I'm saying he's an egomaniac; just egomaniacs in general)?
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby Beveridge on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:41 am

I'm not worried about Despres. He either turns out great and the board gets to trash on Bylsma for never using him, or he turns out a dud and the board gets to trash on Bylsma for ruining him. Either way it's Christmas morning for me come reading time.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:45 am

Beveridge wrote:He either turns out great and the board gets to trash on Bylsma for never using him, or he turns out a dud and the board gets to trash on Bylsma for ruining him.

:fist:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_srq on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:43 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:
pens_srq wrote:

I don't see how this matters. If he's an egomaniac in the AHL, what will magically change in the NHL (not that I'm saying he's an egomaniac; just egomaniacs in general)?

I don't know one way or the other. But it doesn't seem far fetched to me to think that when you are sent to the AHL after your coach tells the media that you are a top 4 d man, that some people might have motivation issues. I think the "mishandling" crowd is latching on to this. As in, he was being introduced to NHL play the previous year and did well, but then all of a sudden, the next year he gets very little NHL ice time. Given how he had played in the NHL previously, it didn't make sense to a lot of people watching all of the time. Maybe it didn't make sense to Despres either and frustration set in.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:47 pm

Can we please stop using that "top 4 d man" quote as a defense for Despres? This was before Scuderi was signed and Maatta passed him up on the depth chart in camp. It's irrelevant to anything happening with Despres.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:58 pm

Froggy wrote:Can we please stop using that "top 4 d man" quote as a defense for Despres? This was before Scuderi was signed and Maatta passed him up on the depth chart in camp. It's irrelevant to anything happening with Despres.

No.
Besides, Blysma certainly seemed to mean it in the more general sense, that Despres is a top 4 dman, not Despres is one of the Pens top 4 dmen. As even at the time he said it, Letang, Martin, Orpik and Niskanen were obviously ahead of Despres on the depth chart.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:28 pm

I don't see how it's relevant going forward.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wondermoose on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:34 pm

They told him to basically forget about offense to start the year, took him off the top PP, put him on the top PK, put him out against the top opponents, etc, and he killed it in every category. When he got called up, I thought he was a difference maker and wasn't a liability. Then, for the second half, the coaches just buried.

With Brooks gone, the Pens need physical defensemen. Depres is 22 and 6'4", 220, and winds up those hip checks a lot like Subban does. I like Bortuzzo, but I don't think he's a long term piece. We'll see though. I'm super excited to see the defense this year. Could either be really fun or just an absolute train wreck.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_srq on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:41 pm

Froggy wrote:Can we please stop using that "top 4 d man" quote as a defense for Despres? This was before Scuderi was signed and Maatta passed him up on the depth chart in camp. It's irrelevant to anything happening with Despres.

I wasn't even taking it literally. Even if you think that a guy will become a top 4 d man some day, he has to play. He definitely has to play more than Bortuzzo and Engelland.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:13 pm

Ideally Borts plays maybe 30 games in a season.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:17 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Ideally Borts plays maybe 30 minutes in a season.

FIXT
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Simon Despres resigned

Postby DelPen on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:45 am

Of course at one point when we had no defensemen in the system besides Despres and him being a 1st rounder he was pencilled in as a top 4 guy.

I hope he ends up as a solid #2 PP guy and a 3rd pairing who just pisses off the other team and doesn't screw up too often. He started to show that last year. Him and Dumoulin could make a very good 3rd pair that can hit and skate and get under the skin of the other team playing 12-15 minutes a game.

And that's fine.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Simon Despres resigned

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:00 pm

He resigned? Damn, he had such potential to crack the lineup this season. Good luck Simon!
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins