Rossi out?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Rossi out?

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:42 am

I will definitely subscribe to DK's new site. I've always liked his coverage of teams, especially the Pens, going back to his PG days. I think DK has thought this out, and having a corporate sponsor is a big help. Makes sense now that last 3 weeks he has made a very public effort to follow anyone one twitter that follows him, as well as Facebook. I for one hope he does well and it takes off.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:50 am

Funny that journalists are quitting their jobs to become bloggers.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens9192 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:05 pm

pcm wrote:Funny that journalists are quitting their jobs to become bloggers.

Yep. Pretty much from the "Can't Beat 'Em, Join 'Em" desk. Print media is dying and the model is shifting towards online/social media to make money. Probably will see more within the next 5-10 years I bet.

I wonder what Seth Rorabaugh from the PG thinks about this? If he took Empty Netters from the PG and went on his own to a subscription based site? I would pay for that.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:07 pm

He'd have pay for the bandwidth of all of those YouTube videos, which would be pricey. ;)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby brwi on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:38 pm

Good luck, DK, takes some guts. I might have to subscribe.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DesertPenguin on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:50 pm

I'll likely subscribe, and I think DK will be fine. As someone said, 5,000 subscribers * $24/year = $120,000, which is nothing to sneeze at. Cover the cost of running the website itself through sponsorship and add revenue, and you're golden. I don't know how I feel about the name of the website, dkonpittsburghsports.com, but that can always be rebranded at a later date.

D.K. isn't perfect, but in my mind he's far ahead of any other sports journalist in the city, both beat writers and columnists.

What I do wonder though, is what brought this on? He went on vacation around the beginning of the month. Sometime during that vacation, the trib decided to change something about how his blog subscriber community was managed, switching over to a facebook based commenting system. This rubbed him the wrong way, so he compiled the email addresses of all his blog subscribers while on vacation and told them he was discontinuing the blog, but would continue to write for the trib, do live chats, videos, etc.

After that, something else must have happened. Either management wasn't happy that he went rogue and emailed his subscribers directly to voice his displeasure, or he just had a change of heart after thinking it over. Either way, this doesn't seem like a move he was planning, at least not this soon. The whole thing seems rushed and reactionary to whatever happened behind closed doors. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the Trib offices when all this went down.

As for Rossi, I've never liked the guy, and I won't be a regular reader of his columns. He was supposed to be beat writing, reporting the facts, but he threw tons of rumor and speculation into his work that had no business being there. At least as a columnist, that kind of behavior is more acceptable since he is writing opinion instead of fact. However, considering how often his inside scoops and hunches have proved false, his isn't an opinion I care to hear on a regular basis.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:04 am

Factorial wrote:
columbia wrote:
DocEmrick wrote:From $28,000 to $33,000. Congratulations Rossi

What kind of mortgage can he afford?

One of those Ryan homes probably.

:lol:
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby topshelf66 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:28 am

The column in the Trib about Johnston going to Moscow to visit Geno turns my stomach. The importance of catching Geno is his most natural and relaxed state is vital to making sure he is ready to have a good season. Seriously? All this does is confrim the opinions of everyone that believes that this organization is a Country Club that has to coddle and cater to the delicate sensibilities of it's two star players.

Do you think Suter or Quinneville are spending their summer travelling to the homes of Brown, Williams, Kane, and Towes to F'n hold thier hands and tell them that it would be really swell if they bought into the system and played like they gave a s*** all year, and even in the playoffs too?

Bylsma needed to go and he is gone. But this mentality pre-dated him and looks to continue. The organization is steeped in it and it does not look to change soon.

Moustache Boy is Dead!
Long Live Moustache Boy!
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the riddler on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:12 am

Johnston wants to talk with all the players before training camp. Going over to Russia is a good gesture by him. Malkin lives in the states for the majority of the year, it doesn't kill Johnston to spend a week there getting to know Malkin. It's probably nothing more than that, the fate of the season doesn't rest on that meeting like Rossi made it sound.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The U on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:30 am

the riddler wrote:Johnston wants to talk with all the players before training camp. Going over to Russia is a good gesture by him. Malkin lives in the states for the majority of the year, it doesn't kill Johnston to spend a week there getting to know Malkin. It's probably nothing more than that, the fate of the season doesn't rest on that meeting like Rossi made it sound.

Exactly. This was Rossi's first or second column since getting his new job. He tried to make it an epic story. He wrote it like it was the lead-in to a novel. I think it is over sensationalized. In reality, the new coach is heading over to Moscow with Kadar to introduce himself to Malkin. That's it. Nothing to interpret or read into.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:35 pm

I unfortunately read that article and agree with the first comment I looked at:

Top Commenter
Quite simply the worst sports column ever.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:41 pm

The U wrote:
the riddler wrote:Johnston wants to talk with all the players before training camp. Going over to Russia is a good gesture by him. Malkin lives in the states for the majority of the year, it doesn't kill Johnston to spend a week there getting to know Malkin. It's probably nothing more than that, the fate of the season doesn't rest on that meeting like Rossi made it sound.

Exactly. This was Rossi's first or second column since getting his new job. He tried to make it an epic story. He wrote it like it was the lead-in to a novel. I think it is over sensationalized. In reality, the new coach is heading over to Moscow with Kadar to introduce himself to Malkin. That's it. Nothing to interpret or read into.

I see Rossi hasn't changed now that he is a columnist. :slug:
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby knives of ice on Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:37 pm

that Rossi column is really really bad. could have written same thing about meeting sid for first time. just ridiculous.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dodint on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:41 pm

dodint wrote:I like it. I don't follow the Pirates and I'm out of the market for local Steelers coverage. I know Rossi as they guy that makes stuff up, reports on it, gets everyone here in a tizzy, then hides when its exposed as completely inaccurate. If he's spending his time having to look at the rest of the sports there is less of a chance I'll deal with that ripple effect during the Pens season.

Guess not.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TrueNorth on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:27 pm

I wasn’t going to read Rossi’s article but the comments here piqued my curiosity. I have never been a Rossi fan and this article captures in spades the reason why. His flair for the dramatic and for over thinking and sensationalizing is, for me, a real turn off. I don’t doubt the importance of having Geno on board, but the suggestion that this won’t happen unless Johnston is somehow able to convince him to accept the new regime and the new culture is, in my opinion, selling Geno short. I think Geno is committed to this team and it won’t take “a hard sell” to get him on board. I don’t think it was Rossi’s intention to question Geno’s commitment; I just think that, once again, he went for the drama and lost sight of the implications of what he was saying. And this is precisely why I usually avoid his articles.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Cr@zy871 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:29 am

Ryan Wilson also just blasted Rossi in his latest blog. Ha!
Cr@zy871
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:26 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
I see Rossi hasn't changed now that he is a columnist. :slug:

The column was so fanboy I thought I was reading some kind of teen sports magazine.

It was freaking awful.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:02 pm

The funny thing about Rossi is he has been a columnist, not a reporter, for quite awhile. Not that it's bad, but that's just what has happened. Rossi is probably the oddest sports journalist I've seen work at a high-circulation newspaper, but I suppose what he does works for the job.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_srq on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:17 pm

that article is even heavy on the BS for Rossi. Lots of between the lines implications that simply should not be there.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:21 pm

Let's be clear:

He's a drama queen.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby topshelf66 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:06 am

My issue was more with Rossi's characterization of the trip than the trip itself.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby roland on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:27 pm

roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:34 pm

As far as giving the team what it needs when the stakes are raised, malkin is the best we have. I don't think there's any reason he should be getting a nudge from management.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sniper on Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:52 pm

Can someone explain to me how this journalism access stuff works?

As I understand it in order to get access to locker rooms and players after games and what not I'm assuming you have to have a media pass of some sort. I would imagine newspapers and tv stations get these without a problem, but how does someone who goes rogue like DK get one? I guess my question is at this point what is the difference between him and any other person that would get him access to players and teams? Can I just ask for an access pass too? I'll go into the locker room after games and ask question and start my own website. Then I'll allow you guys to read what I write for a small fee...

It seems to me that he might be able to get access to the team when they are home. I doubt he's going to be traveling to cover any of the teams when they go away as he would no longer have a paper paying for this. So what's the difference between him and anyone else who wants to write about Pittsburgh sports on a website? And why are people willing to pay to read his opinion about topics when most of the information he got came from sitting in his living room watching the game on tv like you just did? I'm confused by this. There are people on this site with far more knowledge about the game than DK so why are people paying to read what he thinks?
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Media credentialing is handled on a case-by-case basis. So, someone with a proven track record and a history, like DK does, should be able to get them from the team without much of a problem. If you don't have a history or a track record AND you're not representing any organization that has the aforementioned, you are not going to get one...

If I start a blog tomorrow, I am unlikely to be credentialed. However, I've been a writer for Hockey's Future for a while now and have been credentialed at events as a result...no different than if I wrote for the P-G or what have you...

If I was credentialed at every Penguins game for 20 years and then went out on my own, provided there are no burnt bridges with the Penguins themselves, I have little doubt I could get a media credential...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins