How Do You Really Think 2014-2015 is Going to Go?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

How Do You Really Think 2014-2015 is Going to Go?

Postby thedude400 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:13 pm

After the implosion and restructuring, how do you really think the Pens are going to do this upcoming season? I for one am quite satisfied with the changes made and think we are (on paper) a MUCH stronger team. I would have liked to bring on a better winger for Sid and am a little nervous attempting a cup run with the Flower, but I think there is a possibility those worries could be in vain, as maybe Kapanen will deliver and maybe Marc-Andre's shakiness has always just been a byproduct of an offense first style of play, harbored by the previous regime. Also a little worried about Crosby's wrist but with his determination, work ethic, and a little luck that concern may also fizzle away.

Potential setbacks aside, I genuinely think we have a real shot at the cup this year. In your opinion, what has to go right and what cannot go wrong for this team to be drinking Don Perignon from Lord Stanley's Cup next spring?
thedude400
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: How Do You Really Think 2014-2015 is Going to Go?

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:17 pm

I like the makeup of the team, I'll wait and see if they play like I hope they'll play or if the continue to play like a stereotypical European team.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby interstorm on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:24 pm

I think this team goes into the 2014-15 season with something to prove.

I also think this is a good thing as they seem to do better under such circumstances.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Staggy on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:26 pm

I'm really excited to see how the team performs under Johnston and I have high hopes, although I'm a glasshalf full type in general. I feel like he can get Letang playing up to his potential and is a good fit with our plethora of mobile, puck moving D (minus Scuds but whatever). I'm expecting to see our usual offensive firepower with an approach more focused on puck possession. There'll probably be an adjustment period but I haven't been this hopeful for a Pens team in a few years.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:31 pm

A coach who isn't looking to "reinvent the game" should help a ton. I'm a little concerned about lack of board play on the 3rd line (Sutter/Spaling), but I like the overall improvement in depth. Looking forward to seeing some young guys this season.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kaizer on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:31 pm

Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:33 pm

Entertaining regular season; uncertain post-season.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:34 pm

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. Which is the first time in a few years I can say that. Feels Goodman.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:38 pm

As it stands now, I think this season is all about the defense:
-Can Letang regain form and show he is worth the coin he is making.
-Can Scuderi rebound and be of any use this season, or is he still as slow and bad as last year, and a big pile of dead cap space
-Can Despres step up, play well, and keep his spot in the lineup as the most "seasoned" d prospect the Pens have.
-How long will Maata be out for, and can he regain his form from last year.
-Will Pouliot get a shot on the team this year when healthy, or does his should injury set him back a year in terms of NHL play
-Which other young D propspect, Dumoulin, Harrington, and Samuelsson, can step up this year
-How much longer is Paul Martin a Penguin
-Can Ehrhoff play his way to a Penguins contract extension

Obviously there are some other non-d questions too. But as usually, excited for hockey season to start and see how things play out.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:44 pm

I'm going to say the regular season won't be as good, should win division but wouldn't be shocked if they didn't.

No idea for playoffs.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:59 pm

Should win division, have a solid shot at making the Finals, can win the Finals. Obviously if 87, 71, 58, 29, 99, 666, etc. all play at the top of their ability we should be the best team in the league. If they all play like crap, we'll lose in the first round to the Red Wings.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby dodint on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:07 pm

I feel like the front office doesn't support the on ice product with winning in mind, but the talent will overcome this and they'll win the division again, which isn't saying much even if they represented the East in the SCF. They'll be eliminated in the first round and the team will changeover again next summer since much of the new talent is on a one year contract. Bennet will get full credit for playing a quarter of a season, and Letang will contribute to goals scored for both teams. Message board folks will be as confused as ever on how to spell Maatta and Spaling.

I have high hopes for 2015-2016 though.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:14 pm

Last place....McDavid.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:25 pm

This is the year of youth. I think the fresh slate will give an opportunity for our slew of young guys to compete and earn roster spots. The result will be a dramatically different looking team. How far we go will depend as always, on the health of Sid and Geno.

Right now we have no cap space, but I actually think that as the young guys earn their chops, we'll have a lot of flexibility to move some older pieces and put together a really competitive, exciting team.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GeoTank on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:54 pm

i feel it's gonna be a slow start.

LGP will be full of bridge jumpers and i told ya so's.

I feel by Jan-Feb the D-kids will have learned and developed and we will still be in the mix come playoff time. We then should be in line for maybe one or two good moves from GMJR away from trying to make a run.

Then LGP will be loaded with a fresh batch of Bandwagoners and I've said all along's

It most likely be a 1-2 rd exit due to inexperiance and growing pains

By season end LGP will be back to it's normal, Fire (insert coach here) and #(notgonnahappen)watch
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:13 pm

Sink or swim. New coaches always either bring out the best or worst in a team so I'll stay positive and go with vast improvement. They might even have a worse record during the regular season, but I can't fathom a situation outside injuries to 87 and 71 where this team isn't better than last year's.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:14 pm

There will be a minor growing pain or two with the new coaches and system, but I think it will catch on relatively quickly. However, if any individuals (not named Crosby or Malkin) fail to adjust, I do not think that they will wait long to pull the trigger on roster alterations.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:05 pm

I've read in other threads that some are worried about our lack of physical play or presence.

Here's a stat I just came across. The Chicago Blackhawks were ranked dead last in the NHL in terms of hits. (granted it's a sketchy stat) They also finished dead last by quite a margin over the 2nd last place team.

The Chicago Blackhawks were also first in the NHL in terms of outshooting their opponents per game.

Puck possession works. The Blackhawks don't need to hit if they have the puck more often than not. If Johnston can implement a successful puck possession game here in Pittsburgh, we can overcome the lack of heavy, physical players than many on here covet.

I'll predict a shaky start while learning a new system, not having Maatta, and possible new line combos. I still fail to see how people on here can put out their line combos like it's a given. This is a complete new coaching staff, they might have a different view on everything. I hope Johnston comes in and makes his own lines up and makes everyone's head spin.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:34 pm

Staggy wrote:I'm really excited to see how the team performs under Johnston and I have high hopes, although I'm a glasshalf full type in general. I feel like he can get Letang playing up to his potential and is a good fit with our plethora of mobile, puck moving D (minus Scuds but whatever). I'm expecting to see our usual offensive firepower with an approach more focused on puck possession. There'll probably be an adjustment period but I haven't been this hopeful for a Pens team in a few years.

A buddy is a Rag fan and he was complaing about them the first half of last season. I kept telling him there will be an adjustment period under a new coach. I'd say they did pretty well. I'm also guessing we'll see an adjustment period but I wonder how many the sky is falling threads we'll see on this board.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby iceolater on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:34 pm

I think it is going to be extremely interesting for the Pens. First off the over haul in coaching and team players was a must. One thing that I like is, that other teams really won't know how to defend this team. I think the Pens have an advantage since they have Crosby and Geno. Also, Hornquist, Spaling, Downie, Duper, Cromeau will bring speed, hustle, and go into the corners and fight for the Puck.

I still have the Jury out on Fleury. As much as I like MAF as a person, I would rather have had him traded, save the $$$ and get Marty back there since he is extremely good in handling the puck. With the new coaching style of taking the puck from the zone and start to push it, Marty B would be a great addition to our D to help this transition happen better than MAF.

I look for the Pens to let this roster ride and get a better feel for what we need come trade deadline. I think with Tocchett helping the team and get a front net presence, we should get more garbage goals and see more of the D just get the puck to the net!
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:53 pm

I think the team will struggle under a new coach at first but will stabilize as the season goes on.

I don't have faith in this guy bring us the cup home. Of course I probably said the same about Dan B. so who knows.

I don't see a cup roster right now, I think the team might need a tweak or maybe a big move (quality player out with a quality player back) to make a meaning ful playoff run.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DesertPenguin on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:41 pm

They have enough pieces to win, though I wouldn't name them a favorite. They should make the playoffs.

In the end it will come down to what it always comes down to: Injuries, chemistry, playoff matchups, getting hot at the right time, and luck.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Desiato on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:35 pm

With so many changes and question marks, it's impossible for me to guess. I expect the roster is a work in progress.

By question marks, I mean:

- Letang's health
- Maatta as a sophomore
- New players
- New coach
- Prospect development
- Sid's wrist
- Dupuis returning from significant injury @ 35
Last edited by Desiato on Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:03 pm

Early season

Mid season to All Star break

End of regular season

Playoffs

'merica

Last edited by Mango Salsa on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shootinthepuck on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:16 pm

My hope is that if the season doesn't end in a championship, that it ends with a good team effort loss instead of an implosion. That's honestly all I can ask
shootinthepuck

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins