Have you stopped patronizing station square yet?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Have you stopped patronizing station square yet?

Postby randy on Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:53 pm

Especially you student rushers. Stop going there. There are other venues
on southside, strip, waterfront and oakland. Spend your drinking dollars elssewhere, tell your friends too. They pull in a good buck from the university crowd, maybe through word of mouth it can be made "not cool" to go there.

Pens fans are not huge in numbers, but ill bet a few thousand less patrons every weekend may start sending a message. Ill never visit that place again myself, unless Harrrah's ponies up an arena. 8)
randy

Postby Draftnik on Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:00 pm

People also need to turn out in force and vote against Rendell in the May primary. Swann has the Republican nomination locked up, so Republicans should switch party affiliation to vote against Rendell in the primary.

It probably is futile since Pens fans numbers are too small, but early polls indicate Rendell will have trouble with Swann in the general election, so he might need every possible vote. If there are a few thousand primary votes for some unknown Democrat it might send a message.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Someone please, tell me what is the attraction to Station Square anyway?

When I lived in Pittsburgh Station Square wasn't "all that".

They had a couple of outrageously overpriced stores. A couple of average resturants, and one or two trendy over the edge nightspots.

Has it changed significantly?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Pitts on Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:13 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Someone please, tell me what is the attraction to Station Square anyway?

They had a couple of outrageously overpriced stores. A couple of average resturants, and one or two trendy over the edge nightspots.

Now it is several average restaurants, a few trade schools and no trendy, over the edge night spots!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby freq019 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:15 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Someone please, tell me what is the attraction to Station Square anyway?

Yes it has changed. The station square you used to know is practically no more, only a few token stores remain. Now all the bars and restaurants are on the river side. There are a lot of new places and bars. Its completely different for just a few years ago.
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:34 pm

Station Square will be a logistics nightmare if Harrah's plan wins the slots license. I will never step one foot into that building and currently avoiding Station Square establishments like Hard Rock Cafe.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jimjom on Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:39 pm

I have. I will never patronize that place again until this arena thing shakes out and the IoC gets ths license. Should Forest City get it, I'll never return to Station Square. I live in the South Side, and I haven't been there in months. There's no need. They sell nothing that interests me. Like somebody else said, just go to the Waterfront or even Robinson...they have a couple of the same restaurants, plus parking is free. The stores inside Station Square are lame anyways, so are the stupid clubs like the Matrix or whatever.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Station Square

Postby Diddy on Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:47 pm

Have you ever seen how many people go to Station Square on the weekends? It's insane the amount of people that go down there and for as much as I hate the traffic I still go there myself. Even if you get a few thousand people to stay away from Station Square they won't even notice. It was pretty crappy down there for a while but over the past few years it has picked back up dramatically.
Diddy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jimjom on Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:33 pm

Yeah, you do have a point...so many people from so many areas go there, the absence of a few thousand won't really make a difference to a multi-billion dollar enterprise such as Forest City/Harrah's.

However, I won't go there out of principle. I'm taking my puck and going home. And don't get me wrong, I love to eat, drink, and gamble...I'll do it in Niagara Falls instead.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Peter on Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:49 pm

No way, Dude, Buca is an awesome place to eat, and Kiku is awesome Sushi. I also bought my Terrible towell at hometown sports.

Why would we boycott legitimate and good Pittsburgh Business?
Peter

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:52 pm

Peter wrote:No way, Dude, Buca is an awesome place to eat, and Kiku is awesome Sushi. I also bought my Terrible towell at hometown sports.
Why would we boycott legitimate and good Pittsburgh Business?

Buca is also in Robinson Town Center

There's better Sushi on Penn Ave just south of the 16th Street Bridge.

The Terrible towel is available on-line or in hundreds of places around the 'Burgh including the strip district.

But if you want to keep overpaying... feel free to go to Station Square.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Peter on Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:57 pm

Ok but you missed the most important question - Why would we boycott legitimate good Pittsburgh business?
Peter

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:04 pm

Peter wrote:Ok but you missed the most important question - Why would we boycott legitimate good Pittsburgh business?

Because there are better options available?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dboss on Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:12 pm

Peter wrote:Ok but you missed the most important question - Why would we boycott legitimate good Pittsburgh business?

Those legitimate business' will be just fine. They can move to the new retail district built by Nationwide and IOC. Don't forget that all of the $$$ from SS flows to Cleveland, so who's pocket are you really filling?
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

no boycott...just no reason to go there...

Postby penny lane on Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:19 pm

they use to have, maybe still do, St. Brendan's Crossing;
Irish merchandise. Very over-priced when there is QVC
and other places.

Next time you are there see if you want to pay what they are
charging for a tie. :P

The Golden Triangle, including Uptown, accessible more easily to all.
build downtown!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Marshall Dylan on Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:44 pm

Dumb. All you're doing is killing the businesses. And they're not going to move somewhere else, they're just going to close.

You'll have no impact on Forest City at all. They have prime space to rent and they'll always find a use for it.

All you're doing is potentially putting your neighbors out of work.
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:45 pm

I haven't set foot in Station Square in 1 year, maybe two. I used to be a frequent visitor to the Funny Bone, but the Improv down at the Waterfront gets better acts and has free parking all over the place. I will gladly drive the extra distance (I live down in Washington, PA).
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghThing on Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:55 pm

Draftnik wrote:People also need to turn out in force and vote against Rendell in the May primary. Swann has the Republican nomination locked up, so Republicans should switch party affiliation to vote against Rendell in the primary.

It probably is futile since Pens fans numbers are too small, but early polls indicate Rendell will have trouble with Swann in the general election, so he might need every possible vote. If there are a few thousand primary votes for some unknown Democrat it might send a message.

Good point, I need to change my party affiliation just to vote against Rendell. I think I'll write a letter to inform him of the fact too.
BurghThing
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Marshall Dylan on Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:01 pm

No impact whatsoever. He'll win the primary easily.

Swann gets into trouble when he has to actually take stands and understand issues. Right now he's a pretty face with a famous name.
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Peter on Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:57 pm

Look, I just don't see what boycotting station square will get us. It's not like we can keep people away from it. And Why would we? Just because we don't want them to get slots? That's silly. People will go anyway, and you will change nothing.

I want the Pens to stay here as much as you do but I'm not going to boycot other Pittsburgh places just for that. No purpose served.

Going to the rallies is fine and great. But it's gunna come down to politics and we will get exactly what we voted for.
Peter

Postby randy on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:10 pm

Yeah, it makes total sense to keep lining the pockets of the firm thats going to cause your team to leave. Its the PRINCIPAL of the thing, are you dense, Peter?.
Lets see, you're going to shoot me, first let me go buy the bullets to do so.

With that logic, you have to be from southeastern pa.

I think forest city owns robinson town centre too, dont they?
randy

Postby Peter on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:29 pm

Well they have as much right to compete for the licence as we do. And me not going to Station Square will not help matters. I have nothing against the Station Square folk.
Peter

Postby NIN on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:37 pm

Peter wrote:Well they have as much right to compete for the licence as we do. And me not going to Station Square will not help matters. I have nothing against the Station Square folk.

I bet your among the college crowd who are just passing through this pathetic Brugh and don't really care where the team ends up because your smart enough to realize that making a life here is dumb. Get your education and get out my friend, there will be other hockey teams, don't waste your life here!

The other half of the "voters" are the elderly who are funded ENTIRELY ON GAMBLING MONEY yet they see the Penguins being a "bad element" that will corrupt their grand kids. Well there it is...I have just turned completely insane. :lol: :shock: :x :P :roll: :twisted: :? :D :twisted: :roll: :roll: :oops:
NIN

Postby Marshall Dylan on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:50 pm

randy wrote:Yeah, it makes total sense to keep lining the pockets of the firm thats going to cause your team to leave. Its the PRINCIPAL of the thing, are you dense, Peter?.

Forest City owns the real estate. If businesses leave, they'll find new tenants. Could be a medical lab, a trade school or someone who needs storage space, but they'll collect their rent one way or another.

Boycotts hurt the businesses that employ local people. It's misguided.
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:32 pm

Marshall Dylan wrote:
randy wrote:Yeah, it makes total sense to keep lining the pockets of the firm thats going to cause your team to leave. Its the PRINCIPAL of the thing, are you dense, Peter?.

Forest City owns the real estate. If businesses leave, they'll find new tenants. Could be a medical lab, a trade school or someone who needs storage space, but they'll collect their rent one way or another.

Boycotts hurt the businesses that employ local people. It's misguided.

There is nothing misguided about this at all. It sends an economic message to Forest City. Their tenants will complain before they leave or go out of business. That speaks much louder than rallies or email messages. FC may be forced to lease the space out at less favorable terms. Since you appear to be such an expert on commercial real estate I'm sure you know that prime retail space leases for much more per square foot than a medical lab, trade schools, or the lowest priced space of all, storage. The point of a boycott is for Forest City and their tenants to feel pain so that the tenants encourage Forest City to promise more $$ to an arena. If the Pittsburgh community gets the vibe that doing business with Forest City means pain nobody will rent their space regardless of the cost.

The premise of voting against Rendell in the primary is the same. Of course he will easily win the nomination. The purpose of voting against him in the primary is to show his Democratic support in Allegheny County and the surrounding region could be weak in the general election which could definitely hurt his chances in what is shaping up as a close race per early polls. If Rendell feels threatened he may change his anti-IoC stance. The only thing that will produce less results than that or the boycott is apathy and inaction.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins