Have you stopped patronizing station square yet?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Peter on Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:51 pm

You keep saying you're dropping the issue, and then go ahead and insult me yet again, either accusing me of being untruthful or dense.

I have no connections to any Station Square business and I have lived in Pittsburgh for 23 years. If you can't accept that as the truth, than so be it, I won't waste any more time debating an issue with someone who thinks I'm being deceptive. Funny how nobody else has come to my defense - I have always been a positive contributor to this board, and always speak with respect to others. There is no reason to challenge my truthfulness.

So let's just drop this right now. My opinion has been stated - I don't believe a boycott of SS will be either helpful or justified. I'm not the only one to think that here (but to my amazement, you don't seem to challenge them with insults). I realize I'm stating an unpopular opinion with Penguins fans. I like the Pens too, even more than the Steelers, but this town has selected the Steelers and Pirates as their priorities. Maybe the rent checks go to Cleveland, but the businesses are in the city. Of course I want the slots licence to benefit the penguins. I don't want to pay taxes for a new arena.

I'm not going to blindly follow the penguins bandwagon just because I'm a fan. The only controversial thing I've said was that SS deserved to be in the running for a licence, and that a boycott won't help. This does not involve me having connections with anyone. It's a personal opinion. Seems to me if you have the right to state yours, I have the right to state mine. I don't mind the debate, but you speak with disrespect and nobody should ignore that.
Peter

Postby pfim on Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:52 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
pfim wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Peter won't answer basic questions about who he works for or whether or not he intends to even be in Pittsburgh in five years.

That answers a ton of questions right there.

This is the most ridiculous line of reasoning I've seen here in a while, and that's saying a lot. Especially coming from someone in New York.

You obviously haven't read this thread.

Peter has zero problems with Forest City or Ratner or the way they're going about obtaining the license.

Obviously the first things that come to mind are 1) He has a personal interest in seeing FC / Ratner get the license. 2) He doesn't care because he's not 'invested' in Pittsburgh (He doesn't plan on being here long).

I asked him questions regarding those concerns.

When he replied that he was a school teacher and a longtime Pittsburgh resident, it didn't answer either of my questions directly. But I dropped the issue anyway (To be honest I figured he was either 1) Untruthful 2) to dense to understand the concept of applying pressure to unscrupulous businesses or 3) just stirring up trouble) In any case - I didn't feel it was worth my time to persue the issue.

As for my being from NY. You obviously haven't read any of MY posts.
(Those of you that have - this will be totally redundant and your forgiven for skipping to a more interesting thread)
I'm a third generation Pittsburgher. My family still lives there. My son lives there with my Ex. I graduated H.S. from N.A. in 1975. I spent the next four years in the service. I returned to Pittsburgh in 1979. I went to Pitt from 1979-1982. I left because I couldn't find work there in 1982. I returned in 1985. I left again in 1995 because of a lack of work. I've found great success in NY. I still wish like HELL that I lived in Pittsburgh. I want nothing more than to see Pittsburgh prosper and become regain the economic vitality it had in my youth. I will always be a Pittsburgher.

I often read your posts pfim and I normally respect your opinions, but your coming in late on this thread and making false assumptions.

I read the entire thread, and I did come late to this line of thought because I thought it was stupid. Then people start calling someone else dense because they happen to disagree on something completely inconsequential.

Basically, you start accusing someone of doing exactly what you did without knowing the facts? Nice.

I don't fault you for leaving, why would I? I did too. But to cast dispersions on someone who stayed because he happens to disagree with you is wrong. Peter came back to the city to teach (this is known by many) and yet while "dropping it" you yet again either called him 1. a liar 2. dumb or 3. being a trouble maker.

What Harrah's and Ratner are doing isn't much better than cozying up with a local sports team to get a license to print money. Just because it serves your/our purpose, does not make it a true or just cause. This is how business is done, to think otherwise is incredibly naive.

If I still lived in Pittsburgh, I would support the Pens' proposal in order to keep the team there, but all three parties are selling themselves and to call one side bad while the other does the same is hypocritical.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dboss on Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:11 pm

pfim wrote:I read the entire thread, and I did come late to this line of thought because I thought it was stupid. Then people start calling someone else dense because they happen to disagree on something completely inconsequential.

Basically, you start accusing someone of doing exactly what you did without knowing the facts? Nice.

I don't fault you for leaving, why would I? I did too. But to cast dispersions on someone who stayed because he happens to disagree with you is wrong. Peter came back to the city to teach (this is known by many) and yet while "dropping it" you yet again either called him 1. a liar 2. dumb or 3. being a trouble maker.

What Harrah's and Ratner are doing isn't much better than cozying up with a local sports team to get a license to print money. Just because it serves your/our purpose, does not make it a true or just cause. This is how business is done, to think otherwise is incredibly naive.

If I still lived in Pittsburgh, I would support the Pens' proposal in order to keep the team there, but all three parties are selling themselves and to call one side bad while the other does the same is hypocritical.

It is one thing to voice opposition to someone else's opinion, our society and county wouldn't exist without it, but there are also ways to voice that opinion and still be courteous. If Peter wouldn't have been such a smarta** he wouldn't have had 'dispersions' cast upon him. If Peter wants to voice his opinion and people begin to rip on him, etc. I agree that is incredibly unfair, but if Peter can't form a rebuttle to that opinion without being a smarta** then he deserves exactly what he gets in return. If that is how he intends on interacting with people then he should take it like a man, or learn to voice his opinions in a more tactful way.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Peter on Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:15 pm

I made no insult, sir. Having an opposing viewpoint is not being a smarty. I don't resort to name-calling.
Peter

Postby pfim on Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:33 pm

Peter, it's Souf Oaklin, btw.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby spoon on Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:03 am

I though it was Souf Oaklin fo life!

http://www.soufoaklin.com/
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Peter on Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:20 am

That website looks like it hasn't been updated in quite a while.
Peter

Postby netwolf on Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:32 pm

Peter wrote:That website looks like it hasn't been updated in quite a while.

Yeah, the poll wants to know "How's the summer treating you?"
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HomerPenguin on Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:22 pm

dboss wrote:It is one thing to voice opposition to someone else's opinion, our society and county wouldn't exist without it, but there are also ways to voice that opinion and still be courteous. If Peter wouldn't have been such a smarta** he wouldn't have had 'dispersions' cast upon him. If Peter wants to voice his opinion and people begin to rip on him, etc. I agree that is incredibly unfair, but if Peter can't form a rebuttle to that opinion without being a smarta** then he deserves exactly what he gets in return. If that is how he intends on interacting with people then he should take it like a man, or learn to voice his opinions in a more tactful way.

Careful, dboss, the truth doesn't always set you free.

Peter's problem isn't having an unpopular opinion. It's that he jumped into this thread with:

"Gee, why would you all boycott Station Square? That sure is dumb. Don't you support Pittsburgh businesses? Now I'm going to go have a big sushi dinner at Station Square and buy some stuff there."

"Do whatever you want, Peter, nobody cares."

"Well there's no reason to be mean. I just think you're all dummies for wanting to boycott Station Square, where by the way I spend a lot of money. I guess the Penguins are OK and all, but who cares if they leave?"

Now, that's either dense or a deliberate attempt to stir people up. Frankly I think assuming the former is giving him the benefit of the doubt.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:54 am

Peter, let's try this again using your own words.

Peter wrote: Maybe the rent checks go to Cleveland, but the businesses are in the city.

So you understand that. Good. While the Retail store fronts are *in* Pittsburgh, the landlord isn't Pittsburgh based. Now the Stores themselves are probably based somewhere else too... it's hard to find a Pittsburgh storefront where the HQ is in Pittsburgh (like American Eagle) and where the landlord is also Pittsburgh based. I understand that, but trying to patronize Pittsburgh based businesses with Pittsburgh based landlords, that's a good policy if your objective is to encouage economic growth in Pittsburgh. These organizations are more apt to use Pittsburgh based construction workers, attornies, accountants, media firms etc...

Now we're taking about the retail storefronts and nothing to do with Slots here.

Peter wrote: Of course I want the slots licence to benefit the penguins. I don't want to pay taxes for a new arena.

Excellent! So you get that the IoC proposal is still the only one that offers that possibilty right? The pressure being applied publically to FC might be changing that, but so far ONLY the IoC proposal offers complete funding for Arena construction.

Peter wrote: I'm not going to blindly follow the penguins bandwagon just because I'm a fan.

No one is asking you to "Blindy follow the the Penguins bandwagon...", your being ask to recognize the very point that you yourself made. The IoC proposal will keep you from having your tax money spent on development of a new Arena.

Peter wrote: The only controversial thing I've said was that SS deserved to be in the running for a licence, and that a boycott won't help.

I've read this thread repeatedly and I don't see where anyone says FC shouldn't have a shot at the license. In fact, both Dboss and I are on record as saying that the BEST proposal should win, and if that proposal is FC - well, so be it. We just want to see the best proposal win on it's merits, not on the political connections of it's proponents.

Public pressure on the FC group is already making a difference as has been pointed out in the Post-Gazette and the Trib today.

There's nothing wrong with the public speaking up and having their views heard. In fact I'd like to see you voice your view on not wanting to have to pay tax money for a new arena.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby jdev28 on Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:12 pm

I don't normally go to station square now for anything, but I wouldn't stop patronizing the businesses there. Its not really the individual businesses' fault that are located there now.
jdev28
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins