Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

GDT: Devils @ Pens -- 10/24/2006 -- Game #8

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby DelPen on Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:50 pm

I think it's clear no one can name a good reason to send Staal back to the OHL (and his UFA status in 2013 is not a good reason). The thing I notice is he has the ability to slow his game down yet still be effective. Crosby and Malkin use speed to make people look silly but taal just eases in and kills you slowly. Recchi and Ekman look good with this style. But Staal got it done as a checking center, he got it done on the PK and he is getting it done as a scoring center against one of the better defensive teams in the NHL. If he goes back to Peterborough it would be retarded.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:50 pm

It would be nice if Colby gets one in the third. It's about time.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NIN on Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:51 pm

KG wrote:I must say that I am mildly impressed with Vanbeisbrouck. This is my first time hearing him do color. He seems pretty knowledgable about both clubs. Especially the goalies obviously.

He was talking about how MAF doesnt' use his hands enough. I guess I will take his word for it, but this has been the first I have heard of that criticizim of that part of his game.

I give Doc Emrick a pass for the Maxine Ouellet thing, he's the best...

Yeah I think he knows what he is talking about. FLuery does'nt like to leave his crease like ever. He is never comfortable behind the net and he rarely charges out to beat a guy to a breakaway puck. Of course the stick handling we know about too. He has stuff to work on.
NIN

Postby NIN on Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:52 pm

DelPen wrote:I think it's clear no one can name a good reason to send Staal back to the OHL (and his UFA status in 2013 is not a good reason). The thing I notice is he has the ability to slow his game down yet still be effective. Crosby and Malkin use speed to make people look silly but taal just eases in and kills you slowly. Recchi and Ekman look good with this style. But Staal got it done as a checking center, he got it done on the PK and he is getting it done as a scoring center against one of the better defensive teams in the NHL. If he goes back to Peterborough it would be retarded.

Indeed it would.
NIN

Postby DelPen on Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:54 pm

NIN wrote:
KG wrote:I must say that I am mildly impressed with Vanbeisbrouck. This is my first time hearing him do color. He seems pretty knowledgable about both clubs. Especially the goalies obviously.

He was talking about how MAF doesnt' use his hands enough. I guess I will take his word for it, but this has been the first I have heard of that criticizim of that part of his game.

I give Doc Emrick a pass for the Maxine Ouellet thing, he's the best...

Yeah I think he knows what he is talking about. FLuery does'nt like to leave his crease like ever. He is never comfortable behind the net and he rarely charges out to beat a guy to a breakaway puck. Of course the stick handling we know about too. He has stuff to work on.

Fleury has improved in controlling his crease though. I can't recall a single instance of him the last 3 years of whacking guys who got near him and I've seen it 3 times tonight. I don't think he's ever going to be good playing the puck but if he improves his angles to control the rebounds better so more go to the boards I'm fine with that.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Stoosh on Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:54 pm

Those Buffalo third jerseys are SWEET!

And what a play that was by Markov and Datsyuk...Markov just flattened Jarrett Stoll and Datsyuk helps convert the turnover into a goal.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:54 pm

NIN wrote:
DelPen wrote:I think it's clear no one can name a good reason to send Staal back to the OHL (and his UFA status in 2013 is not a good reason). The thing I notice is he has the ability to slow his game down yet still be effective. Crosby and Malkin use speed to make people look silly but taal just eases in and kills you slowly. Recchi and Ekman look good with this style. But Staal got it done as a checking center, he got it done on the PK and he is getting it done as a scoring center against one of the better defensive teams in the NHL. If he goes back to Peterborough it would be retarded.

Indeed it would.

I can't help but think he's going to go back though, just because of the contract situation and the $$ involved.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:57 pm

Stoosh wrote:Thanks, Kovy...I missed the very first part of the broadcast, so I didn't know who it was.

Hey, I wonder what Beezer thinks of Trevor Daley these days?

I'm torn on what to do with Staal. The kid clearly belongs, but I know what's probably best for his long-term development is to go back down to Peterborough. Then again, he doesn't really look out of place, and he's contributing, and he's probably one of the best six forwards on this team. I'd just hate to see him go back to getting only 10-12 minutes a night on the third or fourth line once Malone gets back.

lol I doubt Malone will bump Staal down the depth chart ever again.
NIN

Postby Kicksave on Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:58 pm

NIN wrote:
Stoosh wrote:Thanks, Kovy...I missed the very first part of the broadcast, so I didn't know who it was.

Hey, I wonder what Beezer thinks of Trevor Daley these days?

I'm torn on what to do with Staal. The kid clearly belongs, but I know what's probably best for his long-term development is to go back down to Peterborough. Then again, he doesn't really look out of place, and he's contributing, and he's probably one of the best six forwards on this team. I'd just hate to see him go back to getting only 10-12 minutes a night on the third or fourth line once Malone gets back.

lol I doubt Malone will bump Staal down the depth chart ever again.

Staal bumps Malone if Staal is converted to LW. If Staal is kept at center, then Malone isn't effected. He has to deal with Malkin (LW) and Ekman.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:58 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
NIN wrote:

Indeed it would.

I can't help but think he's going to go back though, just because of the contract situation and the $$ involved.

Why? 3 years down the road, who will they be paying any money too? Gonchar, Crosby and Fleury. The Cap goes up a little each year, in 2009 when Malkin and Staal would be free agents we will have tens of millions to spend because Shero wasn't an idiot this past summer. The money will be there to sign them and there will be more than enough left to bring in people to fill the holes. And at that time the team, wherever it is, will be moving into a new arena and the Penguins will have the infrastructure and ownership in place to be at the top of the cap figure. It makes zero sense to send your 3rd best forward, who is getting better every shift, down to play against 16 and 17 year old boys.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NIN on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:01 pm

Was that Elias that Geno had lined up with his head down?? LMAO

WOW he could have destroyed him but he didnt.
NIN

Postby Brode on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:02 pm

The Cap goes up a little each year,

And contracts go up as fast or faster, not to mention that RFA contracts are turning out to be higher than alot of UFA contracts. 5 years ago, there's no way an Eric Staal gets paid twice as much as a Mark Recchi. It's not like the cap is going to rise but contracts will stay the same.
Brode

Postby joker10277 on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:03 pm

Phoenix scouting tonights game.....I saw greg malone come in gate 3.
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:04 pm

Way to be a man, LaCouture, and go after Whitney. What a tough guy LaCouture is.

And Janssen was a no-talent, piece of crap when he played in Windsor.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:06 pm

1. Crosby never ceases to amaze me with the way he handles the puck with 1 hand along the boards. And almost always wins the battle.

2. Malkin being the strong playmaker that he is, will/has begun to bring out the sniper in Crosby.
Yes I know Crosby's already a sniper. But he's mostly been pass first, shoot second. Now with Malkin on his wing, Crosby becomes more unpredictable and more dangerous. If that's possible.

3. Forget #3. Staal never crossed the blueline in the first place. But it was still good awareness to stay onside. And the little things he does is impressive for an 18 year old.
Last edited by ville5 on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NIN on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:06 pm

joker10277 wrote:Phoenix scouting tonights game.....I saw greg malone come in gate 3.

Malone and Oullete for Doan and Nagy?? :shock: :D
NIN

Postby Nihar on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:07 pm

why are they playing like the game is over? no attacking instinct on that power play? gonchar feels guilty about hitting pandolfo with the puck so he gives it away on purpose like it's soccer? i'm so psyched about this team, but i still don't know what's going on in their heads sometimes.
Nihar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Zach6668 on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:08 pm

NIN wrote:
joker10277 wrote:Phoenix scouting tonights game.....I saw greg malone come in gate 3.

Malone and Oullete for Doan and Nagy?? :shock: :D

It's as good as a done deal. Pens4Life told me.
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Brode on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:09 pm

Let's get a SHOT.

See... that's what happens when we get a shot.
Brode

Postby skullman80 on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:10 pm

Ok...

Time to wake up now...
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Stoosh on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:11 pm

Well, now they have to step up the tempo a little.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Brode on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:11 pm

Well it looks like we've decided that we're done with this game.
Brode

Postby NIN on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:14 pm

Pens need to remain patient. The Devils are daring them to open it up, they cannot take that bait.
NIN

Postby ziggo on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:14 pm

Nihar wrote:why are they playing like the game is over? no attacking instinct on that power play? gonchar feels guilty about hitting pandolfo with the puck so he gives it away on purpose like it's soccer? i'm so psyched about this team, but i still don't know what's going on in their heads sometimes.

Yeah, its like they all backed off to let him recover.
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:16 pm

HOLLY ****!!!
NIN

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins