Has anyone been watching the 66 hours of Lemieux?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Has anyone been watching the 66 hours of Lemieux?

Postby Shinoix on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:02 pm

The NHL network in Canada has been playing 66 Hours Of Mario, a tribute to Lemieux.

How good was the 96 series against the Caps? Wow, i forgot how insane that series was. Non stop, end to end action! Amazing saves, line brawls, great fights, great goals, triple OT.

i was actually laughing out loud when i was watching the highlights of the series...that's how amazed I was at some of those saves in the triple OT.

Some of the laughs were also due to the fact that we once again came back from 2 games down and beat the Caps....AGAIN!!
Shinoix

I caught some Monday and Tuesday night

Postby Draftnik on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:51 pm

Monday night I saw the 1 hour special on the North Star series then the 2 hour replay of 92 game 4 versus Chicago.

Last night I watched the 1 hour replay of the 96 Panther series. I forgot how good Zubov was with the puck. It was as if he had it on a string. He was a real #1 dman that could control the tempo of the game in all 3 zones. I know Gonchar is more of a shooter, but it is amazing how he pales in comparison to 96 Zubov in controlling the flow of the game. Roche really crashed the net. 1996 Peter Nedved turned in one of the best Pens seasons of all time by a player not wearing 66 or 68. The amount of hooking, holding, interference, roughing, etc that the refs didn't call in that series was amazing. I forgot Bergquist actually played that year for the Pens. Since I was at game 7 I never knew Fitzgerald's blueline shot was tipped by a stick so it dipped on Barrasso.

I think the 66 hours are up tonight aren't they?
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: I caught some Monday and Tuesday night

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:20 pm

Draftnik wrote:Since I was at game 7 I never knew Fitzgerald's blueline shot was tipped by a stick so it dipped on Barrasso.

He still had 50-odd feet to adjust to it..... :(

Altho, to be fair, one of the coolest goals I've ever seen in person was Claude Lemieux tipping a point shot when he was only about 5 feet away from the shooter. In effect it was like a 50-foot deflection.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Has anyone been watching the 66 hours of Lemieux?

Postby Draftnik on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:41 pm

Shinoix wrote:The NHL network in Canada has been playing 66 Hours Of Mario, a tribute to Lemieux.

How good was the 96 series against the Caps? Wow, i forgot how insane that series was. Non stop, end to end action! Amazing saves, line brawls, great fights, great goals, triple OT.

i was actually laughing out loud when i was watching the highlights of the series...that's how amazed I was at some of those saves in the triple OT.

Some of the laughs were also due to the fact that we once again came back from 2 games down and beat the Caps....AGAIN!!

Caps 01 series tonight. Exhibit A of why Gonchar the floater never should have been signed. It is amazing the Pens held the Caps to so few even strength goals with that blueline crew. Lemieux was incredibly physical. I can't watch Lemieux's last game versus Buffalo. I can't stand the thought of watching Tarnstrom in a Pens uniform again. The 3.5 seasons of bad memories are too fresh...
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:07 pm

Too bad this was only aired on Canadian TV and no one in thePIttsburgh market could have picked it up. :(
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Racer17 on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:11 am

Bigger shame that Mario's own city couldn't air something like this for him after all he's done for Pittsburgh.
Racer17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Stevens25 on Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:08 am

Racer17 wrote:Bigger shame that Mario's own city couldn't air something like this for him after all he's done for Pittsburgh.

Amen to that. It seems as if Mario's retirement this year hasn't even gotten the attention it deserved. I was at Best Buy today and saw that 2 disc DVD about Wayne Gretzky. I wish somebody(The Pens mainly)would release something like that for Mario.
Stevens25

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins