Off-Season Discussion Thread 2017-2018

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Off-Season Discussion Thread 2017-2018

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:10 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:
Al262 wrote:Pens Inside Scoop‏Verified account
@PensInsideScoop

#Pens lines without Malkin:
Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Guentzel-Kessel
Hagelin-Sheahan-Archibald
McKegg-Rowney-Reaves
(Kuhnhackl)

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Hunwick-Cole
(Ruhwedel)

-MC

Ugh...that bottom six :thumbdown:

Wonder if that means that the Knuckle is below Kegg and Archibald in the pecking order.. All three would have to clear waivers if they're ever sent down. Also interesting how Sheahan is *not* given 2nd line minutes, rather Guentzel is. Even with McKegg having played third line minutes and Rowney evidently able to pick up fourth line slack. Still #15 plays 3C.

When it comes to a plethora of wingers. To the nay-sayers: We cannot replace Archibald, McKegg (as a winger), Reaves and Kühnhackl? If that's true, we're in absolute dire straits. :scared:

But I don't think that's the case. Now when it comes to Kessel, yes absolutely. Sheary, Rust, Hagelin, Guentzel (when playing wing) and Hörnqvist to a lesser degree -- the replacement would probably weaken the team noticably.

In terms of Kuhnhackl, I think he hasn't done much at even strength, and the PK hasn't been good, so it's his turn to sit. I'd like to see Sullivan employ this tactic a bit more, honestly. Give the bottom 6 guys 2-3 games, and if they aren't producing or playing to the appropriate level, sub someone else in and give them their shot.

On Sheahan, I think he if finally starting to come along and get himself situated, and they probably don't want to mess with that by moving him to 2C. He still is weak (but improving) in the production area, so, even though I don't like Guentzel at center longer term, for a game or two, seems like the right move.

The fact that the Penguins have Sprong and ZAR pushing for time at some point, next season at the latest, means this team has too many wingers. More specifically, a logjam of RW, and a void of LW. Hornqvist, Kessel, and Reaves are RW exclusively. Rust prefers RW, but can play both with a slight drop-off. Sheary can play both....not really sure if he prefers or produces better on one side or the other. Hagelin is exclusively LW.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:09 pm

The fact that the Penguins have Sprong and ZAR pushing for time at some point, next season at the latest, means this team has too many wingers.

Reese has 2 goals and 4 assists in 12 games so far this season. Not exactly pushing anything yet. As for Sprong, everything I read seems like he still doesn't get it when it comes to being an NHL player. Best case however I see it is that they both are ready next season.
lemieuxReturns
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:31 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
The fact that the Penguins have Sprong and ZAR pushing for time at some point, next season at the latest, means this team has too many wingers.

Reese has 2 goals and 4 assists in 12 games so far this season. Not exactly pushing anything yet. As for Sprong, everything I read seems like he still doesn't get it when it comes to being an NHL player. Best case however I see it is that they both are ready next season.

2 goals and 4 assists in 12 games while recovering from a wisdom tooth removal. FLPensFan posted about that the other day (last week?), about how JR was talking about his improvement since his wisdom teeth healed.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:33 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:

ZAR had issues with his wisdom teeth for the first few weeks of the season. Got them pulled in the last two weeks, and has gotten his game back on track.

Sprong is what Sprong has always been advertised as....an offensive sniper. I have read some comments (not sure of the validity) that he has gotten a bit predictable in the AHL, in terms of setting up and trying to snipe from similar position. In any event, if the Penguins try and force the defensive side on him too much, they are likely to end up with another Pouliot situation. They need to let him play at the NHL and see what he can do. Not saying that needs to be now or this season, but, it will be soon.

Even if both are ready next season, there is still a log jam adding them into the mix. Some players are going to need to be shipped out and traded for other pieces. Even if Sprong and ZAR both flopped, teams get stale. Keeping almost the same team worked once for the Penguins.....but guys get older, get tired, etc. The team will need some more shifting of players in and out over the next two years. Some of those moves will likely see guys going out that most don't want to see go.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tman1737 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:45 pm

Given the current state of the Pens, who, of the "core", would you seem most expendable??
tman1737
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:01 pm

tman1737 wrote:Given the current state of the Pens, who, of the "core", would you seem most expendable??

Kris Letang and there isn't a close second as far as I'm concerned.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:21 pm

Daniel wrote:
tman1737 wrote:Given the current state of the Pens, who, of the "core", would you seem most expendable??

Would have to disagree. I know the anti-Letang group will point to his struggles now, his previous struggles, his injury history, and his salary as the reason to move him. Understandable, but, Letang is a #1 defenseman, based on his offensive skills, puck moving skills, TOI he plays, and, his defensive skills. The Penguins have nobody else on the roster who could give the same level of production/performance.

If the Penguins had a very strong #2 guy, along with several other strong 3/4 guys, MAYBE it could work. But, Schultz isn't a #2, he's a 3 at best. Maatta MAY be able to get to a level to be considered a strong #2 guy, but he's not there yet. Worse, the Penguins have nobody in their system who projects to be a #1/#2 type of guy. For all Shero's yammering about drafting defensemen, he really didn't do a great job there. Pouliot, Despres, Morrow, Harrington, Samuelsson, and Maatta. 6 guys that were all supposed to be higher end guys. Maatta is the only one they truly hit on. I'd argue Despres was better than the Penguins gave him credit and might be a solid 2nd pairing guy if not for the concussions.

To get rid of Letang and compensate for his loss would take several moves.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:48 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Would have to disagree. I know the anti-Letang group will point to his struggles now, his previous struggles, his injury history, and his salary as the reason to move him. Understandable, but, Letang is a #1 defenseman, based on his offensive skills, puck moving skills, TOI he plays, and, his defensive skills. The Penguins have nobody else on the roster who could give the same level of production/performance.

If the Penguins had a very strong #2 guy, along with several other strong 3/4 guys, MAYBE it could work. But, Schultz isn't a #2, he's a 3 at best. Maatta MAY be able to get to a level to be considered a strong #2 guy, but he's not there yet. Worse, the Penguins have nobody in their system who projects to be a #1/#2 type of guy. For all Shero's yammering about drafting defensemen, he really didn't do a great job there. Pouliot, Despres, Morrow, Harrington, Samuelsson, and Maatta. 6 guys that were all supposed to be higher end guys. Maatta is the only one they truly hit on. I'd argue Despres was better than the Penguins gave him credit and might be a solid 2nd pairing guy if not for the concussions.

To get rid of Letang and compensate for his loss would take several moves.

I was answering the question as it was asked. I guess perhaps your list of the core is different than mine. I have Crosby, Malkin, Murray, Letang as the core. With MAYBE Guentzel and Maatta as possibilities.

As for Letang, I just think he has #1 defensive skills and I'd consider him a top 2-3 defensemen in the league....based on talent. But I think his hockey IQ and lack of composure put him closer to Mike Green than Doughty or Karlsson. At 30, he is what he is and I don't see him becoming any better. I think Maatta can grow into a number 2 guy, I like Schultz as a 2nd pairing guy, and I think he can make a nice career in that role.

You're right, the team needs a number 1 defenseman, but they need one now unless Letang can raise his hockey IQ and composure. I wouldn't say I'm anti Letang as disappointed in the player he has become. When the team was lacking in composure during the playoffs, it was him, Malkin, and Crosby. Frankly, I think he's behind in that department. Maybe the hockey IQ can be raised if he gets the composure and focuses on hockey rather than some of the nonsense he does. I remember him arguing with a ref during play because he didn't learn the new offsides rule and allowed a 2 on 1 to give up a goal. Can't remember which team, but geez. That isn't the behavior of a number one defenseman.

Just to add one thing about Schultz. Not saying he can repeat last season, but his points and +/- were absolutely number 1 defensemen stats. Better than all but 3 of Duncan Keith and all but 1 of Drew Doughty's seasons. Not saying he's in their league, just think it's important to compare last season with those two players. I know, talk to you in 10 years, but who knows?
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:55 am

FLPensFan wrote:Sprong is what Sprong has always been advertised as....an offensive sniper. I have read some comments (not sure of the validity) that he has gotten a bit predictable in the AHL, in terms of setting up and trying to snipe from similar position. In any event, if the Penguins try and force the defensive side on him too much, they are likely to end up with another Pouliot situation. They need to let him play at the NHL and see what he can do. Not saying that needs to be now or this season, but, it will be soon.

To be a true star I do believe that you need to be a well rounded player, not one-dimensional. However, I do not feel that you NEED to be a well rounded player to play in the NHL, I do like Kessel. Saying that, there is a level of defensive... liability that can not be ignored. If Sprong can't help on defense, fine, but if he actually hurts the team, not so fine. It is not that Sprong needs to be defensively competent, just not incompetent. Where is the line and where is Sprong? Apparently the Pens feel that is is still on the wrong side.

Offensively, if he is just going to be a point getter that is fine too. No goals for, no W. He might have great hands, but if his mind isn't in it, lack of creativity, potentially low offensive instincts, and just keeps doing that one move that worked every time on NHL 98... it doesn't matter how good his hands are.

It is quite possible that it is his head, personality, resistance to instruction that caused him to fall 30 spots at the draft. There are other players taken much higher than he was that had all of the tools but just didn't have the head and didn't make it.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:07 am

Hagelin is far and away the most expendable. Mostly due to his contract in all honesty. If he made 1/4th what he does he would be fine. But he doesn't, so he is not.

Sheahan, it was a mistake to get him in the first place. Hornqvist, if they are not going to resign him, but he IS the kind of guy that you normally want to GET for a playoff run, not move out. Letang, extensive injury history and very questionable puck decisions. Sheary, who is the real Sheary, the guy on pace for 30 goals or the guy on pace for 40 points? However, $3M for a 40 point goal-heavy type isn't all that bad I suppose.

Hagelin
Sheahan
Hornqvist (only name on here that hurts me to say)
Letang
Sheary

BONUS: If the Pens coaches see Sprong as a cause not worth fighting for (ie: he is not going to change/improve), he jumps in right below Hagelin.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:08 am

Jim wrote:

Hagelin is far and away the most expendable. Mostly due to his contract in all honesty. If he made 1/4th what he does he would be fine. But he doesn't, so he is not.

Sheahan, it was a mistake to get him in the first place. Hornqvist, if they are not going to resign him, but he IS the kind of guy that you normally want to GET for a playoff run, not move out. Letang, extensive injury history and very questionable puck decisions. Sheary, who is the real Sheary, the guy on pace for 30 goals or the guy on pace for 40 points? However, $3M for a 40 point goal-heavy type isn't all that bad I suppose.

Hagelin
Sheahan
Letang
Sheary

BONUS: If the Pens coaches see Sprong as a cause not worth fighting for (ie: he is not going to change/improve), he jumps in right below Hagelin.

Have to disagree with you Jim. Not sure I'd label Hagelin and Sheehan as "core" players.

Sheehan for example is about 2.5% of the Pens payroll compared to a guy like Letang who is 9.5%

If you look at production vs. a percentage of the teams payroll I think Hagelin and Letang would be atop the list of least bang for your buck. I wouldn't consider Hagelin though as a "core" player.

Core for me is Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornqvist, Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta, Schultz and Murray.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:19 am

At this point, I would think trading Letang or Hagelin makes the most sense. Both make a lot of money and both I would assume would be pieces other teams would want. I think it was the great Larry Brooks ;) who wrote how much the Rangers miss Hagelin.

Just say NO to trade ideas involving Sheary. The only regret I have is that Rutherford didn't try for longer term.

Just say YES to re-signing both Hornqvist and Cole. We have lost enough leadership on this team and both provide plenty of that.
lemieuxReturns
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 am

People may want to read Jesse Marshall's recent article on Letang's "struggles".
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Jim on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:28 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Jim wrote:

Hagelin
Sheahan
Letang
Sheary

Have to disagree with you Jim. Not sure I'd label Hagelin and Sheehan as "core" players.

Sheehan for example is about 2.5% of the Pens payroll compared to a guy like Letang who is 9.5%

If you look at production vs. a percentage of the teams payroll I think Hagelin and Letang would be atop the list of least bang for your buck. I wouldn't consider Hagelin though as a "core" player.

Core for me is Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornqvist, Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta, Schultz and Murray.

I didn't register the "core" part of the question, sorry for the confusion. I just went more with people that would have some value/impact to being moved out of the roster.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:03 pm

Sam Reinhart's name came up today from Bob McKenzie and Dreger on their insider trading piece. If Buffalo looks to move him this season, Rutherford should be all over that. Just turned 22, back to back 40 point seasons, center or wing (typically thought of as a center), right handed. #2 overall pick in 2014, definitely not a bust, but not sure he can live up to being the type of scorer usually associated with a top 5 pick, but, he's also stuck behind Eichel and O'Reilly at center.

Someone to keep an eye on. He was noticeable (in addition to scoring) when we played Buffalo last week. Will be watching more of him when the Penguins play them back to back next weekend. I'd be willing to flip Sprong for Reinhart straight up. Reinhart is on last year of ELC, so his salary will jump to 2-3M next year. But, a good young center....portentially good enough to slide into the #2 spot 4 or 5 years down the road if needed.....something the Penguins could probably use.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:10 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Sam Reinhart's name came up today from Bob McKenzie and Dreger on their insider trading piece. If Buffalo looks to move him this season, Rutherford should be all over that. Just turned 22, back to back 40 point seasons, center or wing (typically thought of as a center), right handed. #2 overall pick in 2014, definitely not a bust, but not sure he can live up to being the type of scorer usually associated with a top 5 pick, but, he's also stuck behind Eichel and O'Reilly at center.

Someone to keep an eye on. He was noticeable (in addition to scoring) when we played Buffalo last week. Will be watching more of him when the Penguins play them back to back next weekend. I'd be willing to flip Sprong for Reinhart straight up. Reinhart is on last year of ELC, so his salary will jump to 2-3M next year. But, a good young center....portentially good enough to slide into the #2 spot 4 or 5 years down the road if needed.....something the Penguins could probably use.

Would Buffalo even do Reinhart for Sprong straight up? I'd imagine Buffalo would want a lot more for him.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:50 pm

Daniel wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Sam Reinhart's name came up today from Bob McKenzie and Dreger on their insider trading piece. If Buffalo looks to move him this season, Rutherford should be all over that. Just turned 22, back to back 40 point seasons, center or wing (typically thought of as a center), right handed. #2 overall pick in 2014, definitely not a bust, but not sure he can live up to being the type of scorer usually associated with a top 5 pick, but, he's also stuck behind Eichel and O'Reilly at center.

Would Buffalo even do Reinhart for Sprong straight up? I'd imagine Buffalo would want a lot more for him.

I'd imagine they would probably want a pick in there too, seeing that Reinhart will have 3 seasons under his belt, while Sprong at this point has yet to play any meaningful time at the NHL level yet.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:28 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I'd imagine they would probably want a pick in there too, seeing that Reinhart will have 3 seasons under his belt, while Sprong at this point has yet to play any meaningful time at the NHL level yet.

With Kane likely out the door goes Sheary make sense for them?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Maestro on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:52 am

There may not be a trade to be made out there for awhile but some guys need to sit/ride a bus soon and some WB-S players need to get the call to see if they can help the Pens score a 5 on 5 goal. The bottom 6 on this team is nauseating.

It's time to end last season's party.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:53 am

Maestro wrote:There may not be a trade to be made out there for awhile but some guys need to sit/ride a bus soon and some WB-S players need to get the call to see if they can help the Pens score a 5 on 5 goal. The bottom 6 on this team is nauseating.

It's time to end last season's party.

It's more than just the bottom 6. Crosby has never had a season with under a point per game average. He's at .74 points per game right now. Crosby has only had 1 season as a minus player, a minus 1 his rookie year. He currently sits at a minus 13. Crosby's past 4 seasons, he's finished with 24, 42, 47,and 46 penalty minutes. He currently sits at 32 penalty minutes only a quarter of the way through the season, on pace to beat his two worst seasons of 71 and 110 PIM.

Sheary is at about half the production he put up last year, in terms of points per game, even though he has 8 goals. This should have been expected, as it was a bit unrealistic to think he would continue at a .87 points per game pace. Guentzel is pretty similar to Sheary in terms of last years production and this year's fall back down to earth. Hagelin continues to be a passenger for the 2nd season in a row. While Rust has gone a bit cold in the goal department, he is right around his usual production average.

Hornqvist, Kessel, Malkin, and Rust are the only ones producing at/above/right around their career averages in terms of output. There's a lot more to just output, but, when lack of scoring is an issue, that's a place to start. The defensive play is a whole other issue.

I've said previously I want to see this team look good for a 3-5 game stretch. Still haven't seen it. Anyone thinking it is fatigue or the switch is magically going to flip here in another month, the rose colored glasses are pretty thick.

I agree with your assessment above that it is time to bring up (not all at once) Sprong, Simon, and DiPauli for starters, and see how they can work into the lineup.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:22 am

Those are interesting Crosby stats. Wonder what is going on?
lemieuxReturns
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:06 pm

There isn't much (much, not nothing) wrong with the bottom 6 if the coach wasn't trying to run 4 scoring lines.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:36 pm

Here's another way to put it......Crosby was in probably the worst slump of his career under Mike Johnston. Nobody was scoring then. The team, however, was 15-10-3 when Johnston got fired. Rutherford realized it wasn't working, despite the winning record, and something had to be done.

I see a lot of parallels to the 2015-2016 start and this one. Does that mean I think Sullivan is going to be fired? Not a chance. But the team as a whole isn't scoring much, and their defense hasn't been very good this season.

Pittsburgh has a 1 point lead over the Rangers for the last playoff spot in the East right now. Rutherford wants to see what he has over the next few weeks, thinking the compressed schedule and high back to backs in October was a major factor. 11-9-3 is barely .500 hockey, and even worse, they just had THREE DAYS OFF from game action. That's only the 2nd time this season they have had a 3 game break. They were playing a much lesser opponent in Vancouver. Sullivan made them practice the last few days to "try and correct some bad habits." Didn't seem to work.

Rutherford will keep evaluating, but, he also can't wait too long. Come end of December and this team still isn't scoring, and bleeding goals against.....something will need to be done, again. Because if they start dropping out of the top 8 as the end of the year draws near, you are asking a lot of any team once you get to an 8-12 point deficit just to get back into the playoff picture.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:54 pm

The problem is still what others have said from this summer. "What if Sid or Geno get hurt and we still don't have a 3C". Well it has happened, and now its hard to see how this will be fixed. I am beginning to wish they had just re-signed Bones at this point. Rutherford waited too long.
lemieuxReturns
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:40 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:The problem is still what others have said from this summer. "What if Sid or Geno get hurt and we still don't have a 3C". Well it has happened, and now its hard to see how this will be fixed. I am beginning to wish they had just re-signed Bones at this point. Rutherford waited too long.

From what I have heard, resigning Bonino wasn't really an option. Nashville offered him the 2C spot, and he wanted the elevated role. Same money and term on the table and he still probably would have chosen Nashville. Now, they brought in Turris and he's back to 3C or even worse for him, wing.

I'd still like to see a Reinhart, Bennett, Shore, Faksa a type if possible. A young guy who They control as RFA for a bit and then can sign long term.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins