Off-Season Discussion Thread 2017-2018

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Off-Season Discussion Thread 2017-2018

Postby Daniel on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:39 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Daniel wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:How many years would you give a 31 yr old Hornqvist?

I'd have to think long and hard about signing him at all, but if I did I'd maybe do 3 years max. I think he's still a pretty good player. I just have a feeling he'll be one of those LTIR to the end of contract guys if given more than 3 years. Like a Nathan Horton or David Clarkson.

I'd do 3, and, if it brought his AAV down by .5-1M, I'd go 4 if I really, really had to. I'd like to see the Penguins be able to resign Hornqvist and Cole.....which is why I think they are better off with just rental players this year. If they want to continue to resign what they have, and spread in younger guys from WBS, then they can't afford a Staal or even a Bjugstad type making 2M more over what Sheahan does today.

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Sprong
Sheary-Sheahan-Kessel
Aston-Reese-DiPauli-Reaves
xKuhnhackl, Rowney

Dumo-Letang
Cole-Schultz
Maatta-Hunwick
xRuhwedel

Murray, Jarry

If the Penguins can dump Hagelin, resign Hornqvist for 5.5M or less, get Cole for 4.5M or less, sign Rust for 2.5-3M, and assuming the cap goes up another 2M next year.....that lineup is doable. Their next worry would be summer of 2019, when Guentzel is do for a raise. Assuming Guentzel continues to put up points like last season, and Sprong is able to step up and contribute as we expect offensively, summer of 2019 is where I think the Penguins will have to have a hard look at moving Kessel.

I really don't like 4, but it'd be doable. Total contract would be just a little more, so lower AAV, like you said. Worst case, imo, you waste the last year, like Dupuis.

As for 2019, I wonder if trading Sheary would get a better return and help enough?
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:56 am

I hadn't read this until last night. It was from last Monday on DK's site. Apparently, he's doing a WBS update every Monday.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2017 ... ess-wants/

Some random quotes:

Dominik Simon, by anyone’s standards, is having a great start to his third season with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. His 10 points (two goals, eight assists) are the second-most on the team, trailing only Daniel Sprong. He’s on track for 58 assists this season, which would be a significant improvement over his first two seasons of 23 and 31. He’s also having success on the Penguins’ power play.

SPRONG’S SHORTCOMINGS

Daniel Sprong still needs to work on being better in the Penguins’ defensive zone, something Director of Player Development Scott Young mentioned during training camp as one of their goals for Sprong this season. He’s dominating offensively, but these mistakes would be exploited by teams more at the NHL level. More time in Wilkes-Barre will allow him to work on that aspect of his game.

TINORDI’S RETURN

Defenseman Jarred Tinordi, playing in his second game of the season after returning from injury, was a shot-blocking machine on Wednesday. Tinordi is a former first-round pick of Montreal and plays as a physical, stay-at-home shutdown defenseman. He never really fit in with the Canadiens or even got much of a shot with them in the NHL, but he’s fitting in with WBS in his few games so far. These three blocks came on the same 5-on-3 penalty kill: (video unavailable)

HAGGERTY HEATS UP

Right winger Ryan Haggerty, 24, is lighting it up in his second season with the Penguins. With his six goals, including two game-winners to start the season, he’s already over halfway to last season’s total of 11, in only five games. He matched his career-high in points in a single game on Saturday when he added his first two assists of the season and the overtime winner:

The most interesting takeaway were the lines from last weekend. It gives some insight on where guys are playing, and what the pecking order looks like.

Lines and defense pairings from Sunday:

Zach Aston-Reese – Jean-Sebastien Dea – Ryan Haggerty
Garrett Wilson – Jarrett Burton – Daniel Sprong
Adam Johnson – Colin Smith – Dominik Simon
Thomas Di Pauli – Teddy Blueger – Pat McGrath

Andrey Pedan – Ethan Prow
Chris Summers – Kevin Czuczman
Jarred Tinordi – Zach Trotman

Bengtsson was out of the lineup with an illness. Agitator Pat McGrath, a Wilkes-Barre native, played his first game of the season. McGrath is in his fifth season with the organization.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:53 am

I thought Simon was a C/LW? They have him playing RW where there is a log jam?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:17 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:I thought Simon was a C/LW? They have him playing RW where there is a log jam?

Isn't Reese a RW? He's listed at LW. Maybe the listed wing side is not as one dimensional as some think...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:59 pm

Jim wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:I thought Simon was a C/LW? They have him playing RW where there is a log jam?

Isn't Reese a RW? He's listed at LW. Maybe the listed wing side is not as one dimensional as some think...

Weird. He shoots L, but I always thought he was a RW
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:52 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Jim wrote:

Weird. He shoots L, but I always thought he was a RW

He was a LH Center and RW. The Penguins are asking him to play LW. Again, I think this was done partially because of the RW logjam, and also just his style of play seems to be fine on the left or right side. Traditionally, the LW has more defensive responsibility in the Penguins system, and ZAR plays a good 200 foot game.

Simon was originally a center. I think this is a situation where the Penguins question whether he had the skill to play there at the NHL level. He seems to be able to play either side of center, and has bounced around between LW and RW.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Crashguy66 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:32 pm

Admin needs to turn back the clock on here. It's really freaking me out. The alcohol doesn't help either.
Crashguy66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:03 am

WBS lines for this past Friday per DK's site. It seems Simon and DiPauli are getting times at both wings. DiPauli has been hot, with 7 goals now, 4 in his last 5.

• This week’s game improves the Penguins’ record to 11-2-0-1, with a point percentage of .821, the best in the AHL.

• Lines and defense pairings from Friday:

Dominik Simon – Colin Smith – Christian Thomas
Jarrett Burton – Gage Quinney – Daniel Sprong
Zach Aston-Reese – Jean-Sebastien Dea – Ryan Haggerty
Adam Johnson – Teddy Blueger – Thomas Di Pauli

Chris Summers – Lukas Bengtsson
Kevin Czuczman – Ethan Prow
Jarred Tinordi – Zach Trotman

Garrett Wilson was out of the lineup because of a family matter and was replaced by Jarrett Burton. Lukas Bengtsson returned to the lineup after missing the previous game with an illness. Troy Josephs, Tom Sestito and Tom Kostopoulos remain out of the lineup with injuries.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:29 am

Crashguy66 wrote:Admin needs to turn back the clock on here. It's really freaking me out. The alcohol doesn't help either.

You do it yourself in your preferences.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:14 pm

I know I will probably get roasted for saying this, but this team is boring to watch so far this year. Yea, there have been a few come from behind games but for the most part it is just kind of boring hockey. Sid isn't really doing his thing yet. Geno isn't really either. The younger kids that provided a spark the past two seasons are now not the younger kids providing a spark. Its just been, blah. There really isn't any legit trade talk. No closed door meetings. No yelling at each other on the bench. No drama at all. Just a team that looks to be about average going through the motions.
lemieuxReturns
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:42 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote: Just a team that looks to be about average going through the motions.

What this team looks like is a team that HCMS wants to just play good enough to stay in contention until late season. They are conserving energy. That is why when they are losing they just give up. I am totally convinced of this.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:46 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:I know I will probably get roasted for saying this, but this team is boring to watch so far this year. Yea, there have been a few come from behind games but for the most part it is just kind of boring hockey. Sid isn't really doing his thing yet. Geno isn't really either. The younger kids that provided a spark the past two seasons are now not the younger kids providing a spark. Its just been, blah. There really isn't any legit trade talk. No closed door meetings. No yelling at each other on the bench. No drama at all. Just a team that looks to be about average going through the motions.

Or you could look at it as a team tied for first who havn’t hit their stride yet after 2 previous long seasons along with the fact JR hasn’t worked his magic yet.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:49 pm

I know I will probably get roasted for saying this, but this team is boring to watch so far this year. Yea, there have been a few come from behind games but for the most part it is just kind of boring hockey. Sid isn't really doing his thing yet. Geno isn't really either. The younger kids that provided a spark the past two seasons are now not the younger kids providing a spark. Its just been, blah. There really isn't any legit trade talk. No closed door meetings. No yelling at each other on the bench. No drama at all. Just a team that looks to be about average going through the motions.

What this team looks like is a team that HCMS wants to just play good enough to stay in contention until late season. They are conserving energy. That is why when they are losing they just give up. I am totally convinced of this.

Or you could look at it as a team tied for first who havn’t hit their stride yet after 2 previous long seasons along with the fact JR hasn’t worked his magic yet.

And the truth is probably in & amongst, with likely a sprinkling of an earlier-mentioned theory of other teams adapting to -and sometimes imitating- the Mike Sullivan/Penguins style of play.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:49 pm

Corrado is back down to Wilkes-Barre having played 3 games on the road. Not very impressive, but not terrible either.

Now if Letang could possibly find out how to hockey again, we might have a D-corps.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:59 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote: Just a team that looks to be about average going through the motions.

I sure hope not. I've watched enough Penguin hockey (going on 30+ years now) to know you just can't switch it ON and OFF. That's a recipe for failure. :scared:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:23 am

How about Letang for Nuge and Oilers 1st?
7.2 out 6.0 in
Both are overpaid however Letang is a more coveted asset so the 1st is sent our way. Fills a need for both teams.
lemieuxReturns
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dark_forces on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:58 am

Since a true 3rd line center still seems to be the most pressing need, how about C. Sheary to Carolina in exchange for Victor Rask?
For us, you've now got pretty solid depth down the middle and still have a surplus of wingers with Sprong and Aston-Reese waiting in the wings. In reality, I'm sure Carolina wants to get stronger at center and not weaker, but they could also be a great landing spot for Edmonton's RNH.
dark_forces
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:11 pm

dark_forces wrote:Since a true 3rd line center still seems to be the most pressing need, how about C. Sheary to Carolina in exchange for Victor Rask?
For us, you've now got pretty solid depth down the middle and still have a surplus of wingers with Sprong and Aston-Reese waiting in the wings. In reality, I'm sure Carolina wants to get stronger at center and not weaker, but they could also be a great landing spot for Edmonton's RNH.

Not a fan of this idea. I like Sheary and I think his contract ends up looking better and better as time goes by. Currently tied with Kessel with the goal lead with 8. I am not so sure we have the winger surplus that everyone talks about either but if we were to move a winger I would hope it would be Hagelin at this point.
lemieuxReturns
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:18 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:I am not so sure we have the winger surplus that everyone talks about either ...

QFT
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:55 pm

Jim wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:I am not so sure we have the winger surplus that everyone talks about either ...

QFT

Only Sprong is lighting it up at the AHL level, yet he's proven nothing in the bigs. Op is spot on.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pekkasteele on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:19 pm

Malkin out for the Canucks game, will we have Guentzel or Sheahan as 2c now?
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Al262 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:42 pm

Pens Inside Scoop‏Verified account
@PensInsideScoop

#Pens lines without Malkin:
Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Guentzel-Kessel
Hagelin-Sheahan-Archibald
McKegg-Rowney-Reaves
(Kuhnhackl)

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Hunwick-Cole
(Ruhwedel)

-MC
Al262

Postby Pruezy11881 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:48 pm

Al262 wrote:Pens Inside Scoop‏Verified account
@PensInsideScoop

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Guentzel-Kessel
McKegg-Rowney-Reaves
(Kuhnhackl)

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Hunwick-Cole
(Ruhwedel)

-MC

Ugh...that bottom six :thumbdown:
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Al262 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Sheahan is a scoring machine with a point in each of the last 3 games.
Al262

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:52 pm

Pruezy11881 wrote:
Al262 wrote:Pens Inside Scoop‏Verified account
@PensInsideScoop

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Guentzel-Kessel
McKegg-Rowney-Reaves
(Kuhnhackl)

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Hunwick-Cole
(Ruhwedel)

-MC

Ugh...that bottom six :thumbdown:

Wonder if that means that the Knuckle is below Kegg and Archibald in the pecking order.. All three would have to clear waivers if they're ever sent down. Also interesting how Sheahan is *not* given 2nd line minutes, rather Guentzel is. Even with McKegg having played third line minutes and Rowney evidently able to pick up fourth line slack. Still #15 plays 3C.

When it comes to a plethora of wingers. To the nay-sayers: We cannot replace Archibald, McKegg (as a winger), Reaves and Kühnhackl? If that's true, we're in absolute dire straits. :scared:

But I don't think that's the case. Now when it comes to Kessel, yes absolutely. Sheary, Rust, Hagelin, Guentzel (when playing wing) and Hörnqvist to a lesser degree -- the replacement would probably weaken the team noticably.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins