2017 WBS Penguins Update Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

2017 WBS Penguins Update Thread

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:38 pm

As the WBS Penguins may in fact become NHL Penguins at some point, thought it might be good to have a thread on how some of these guys are doing:

WBS is off to a 1-2 start.

Tristan Jarry is 0-2, lost 5-2 in first game (4 goals, 1 EN), and lost 3-2 tonight
Casey DeSmith got a shutout in their only win so far.
Daniel Sprong has switched from #41 to #11. He also has scored a goal in each of WBS 3 games.
Adam Johnson with a couple of assists, Blueger with some assists, DiPauli with a goal and an assist.
Aston-Reese has yet to find the scoresheet.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: 2017 WBS Penguins Update Thread

Postby BurghThing on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:09 am

If you can find the video of Spring's laser beam goal the other night, watch it!
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SteelCityFan on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks for starting this thread FLP. I'm curious to see how some of our younger guys progress this year. From looking at a few of the box scores I've noticed that guys like Prow, Taylor and Tinordi aren't in the line up. Have we moved on from them? I liked what I saw of Trotman and Bengtsson in the pre-season. Hope they continue to progress.
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:08 pm

BurghThing wrote:If you can find the video of Spring's laser beam goal the other night, watch it!

So I guess the question with Sprong is whether he can do anything besides shoot the puck at a NHL level?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:53 pm

Sprong with his 4th goal in 4 games (his 1st non-PPG). He also picked up 2 assists in the game, his first 2 assists on the season. He is a plus 1 on the season.
Gage Quiney makes his AHL debut, with 1g, 2a.
Casey DeSmith gets the win today. He has both wins on the season.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Ericf on Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:57 pm

All of Sprong's points today were at ES. His last assist was a beauty from behind the net.
He's NHL ready and he would be better than Kessel right now at that left spot on the PP because he shoots.
How long until he's called up?
Ericf

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:58 pm

SteelCityFan wrote:Thanks for starting this thread FLP. I'm curious to see how some of our younger guys progress this year. From looking at a few of the box scores I've noticed that guys like Prow, Taylor and Tinordi aren't in the line up. Have we moved on from them? I liked what I saw of Trotman and Bengtsson in the pre-season. Hope they continue to progress.

Bengtsson, Corrado, Czuczman, Trotman, and Pedan would appear to be the WBS top 5. Summers, Prow, and Zink seem to be rotating as the 6th defenseman.

Not sure if Tinordi and/or Taylor are injured. Checking on it......

UPDATE: According to Tyler Piccotti who covers WBS Penguins for the Citizen Voice, Tinordi has an undisclosed injury and is week to week. Taylor has a concussion.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SteelCityFan on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:23 am

FLPensFan wrote:
SteelCityFan wrote:Thanks for starting this thread FLP. I'm curious to see how some of our younger guys progress this year. From looking at a few of the box scores I've noticed that guys like Prow, Taylor and Tinordi aren't in the line up. Have we moved on from them? I liked what I saw of Trotman and Bengtsson in the pre-season. Hope they continue to progress.

Bengtsson, Corrado, Czuczman, Trotman, and Pedan would appear to be the WBS top 5. Summers, Prow, and Zink seem to be rotating as the 6th defenseman.

Not sure if Tinordi and/or Taylor are injured. Checking on it......

UPDATE: According to Tyler Piccotti who covers WBS Penguins for the Citizen Voice, Tinordi has an undisclosed injury and is week to week. Taylor has a concussion.

Thanks for the update!
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:37 am

Thanks, I am certainly interested in how the guys are doing. This season will be no different and I'm sure we'll see 4-5 of these guys up in the bigs!
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Control - Hockey Gods, Hear us now! Pens are worthy, Preds are not!

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:00 pm

ZAR was scratched last game, and he isn't listed as having an injury. He has 0 points so far, don't know what's happening there.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:50 pm

Bengtsson has 3 points in 4 games. I hope he can keep it rolling. I'd like to see him up with the big club.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:08 pm

Really, I want to feel like any of our prospects on defense have a chance to move up to the NHL.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:23 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:ZAR was scratched last game, and he isn't listed as having an injury. He has 0 points so far, don't know what's happening there.

Bust
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:21 pm

We may need a few quality starts from Jarry this winter. I hope he can get ready.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:20 am

wondermoose wrote:Really, I want to feel like any of our prospects on defense have a chance to move up to the NHL.

I think Bengtsson and Corrado are the top of the defense prospects right now.....with Prow and Taylor maybe ready to challenge a bit next year.

Summers, Trotman, and Czuczman will likely be used as short term callups, as they don't have much more upside, so the team is ok letting them sit as a scratch if needed. Corrado and Bengtsson should be the callups if a d-man is going to be out for a few weeks and the callup is going to play.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Maestro on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:33 am

I liked what I saw of Bengtsson this camp. Glad to see he is starting off well.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:18 am

FallenHero96 wrote:ZAR was scratched last game, and he isn't listed as having an injury. He has 0 points so far, don't know what's happening there.

Not 100% certain, but I believe ZAR was scratched because he had his wisdom teeth pulled. He missed practice the following day, and that was the reason given by Donatelli. Not sure if it happened early in the morning the day of practice, or the day before. Info per Tyler Piccotti.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:47 am

If you hadn't seen a little bit of the discussion at the end of the Panthers GDT, Sprong had a hat trick tonight for WBS. He now has 7 goals, 3 assists in 5 games this season. 5 of his goals are on the PP. He is tied for league lead in goals, points, and PPGs. Below is a quick snippet from Tyler Piccotti's post-game summary:

Oh yes, Sprong.
He was really fun to watch tonight. The way he was able to create just a little bit of space and pick his spot on the first two goals was unreal. He clearly is a step ahead of opponents offensively, and he can be unstoppable once the two-way game develops more.

Also, I know Sprong and Aston-Reese were on the same line to begin the season, but I don’t know how you can break up the Sprong-Wilson-Quinney combination right now. The latter had another goal and assist, and he won a key faceoff to set up one of the goals. They just seem to know how to find each other on the ice.
Obviously, Aston-Reese needs to have a spot, and it will be interesting to see how he slots back in once he returns.

Finally, Jarry was better than his numbers would indicate. While he did let in a couple goals I think he stops last season, he made some huge saves down the stretch. He had a big poke-check in OT, and the only reason we were at that point was he stopped a dead breakaway off a turnover shortly after Sprong’s goal. Have to think we see DeSmith tomorrow night against Hartford.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:31 am

WBS Penguins have signed Colin Stevens to a PTO. He was playing goal for ECHL Wheeling.

There is also a rumor that Tomas DiPauli may be being recalled. Jonathan Bombulie noted he showed up on the NHL media website for the Penguins. May just be an error, though. Would seem odd to recall DiPauli when Penguins still have Archibald sitting on the sidelines not playing.

UPDATE: DiPauli is still with WBS. Either it was some type of error, or some type of crazy salary cap finangling that caused him to show up on Pens roster on NHL media site. This according to HC Donatelli, per Tyler Piccotti.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:45 am

Does anyone know whether WBS #11 has played the LW at all this season?
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:37 am

FLPensFan wrote:WBS Penguins have signed Colin Stevens to a PTO. He was playing goal for ECHL Wheeling.

There is also a rumor that Tomas DiPauli may be being recalled. Jonathan Bombulie noted he showed up on the NHL media website for the Penguins. May just be an error, though. Would seem odd to recall DiPauli when Penguins still have Archibald sitting on the sidelines not playing.

UPDATE: DiPauli is still with WBS. Either it was some type of error, or some type of crazy salary cap finangling that caused him to show up on Pens roster on NHL media site. This according to HC Donatelli, per Tyler Piccotti.

Guessing it was a Cap move to maximize Cap space with Rowney going on LTIR.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:08 am

Frank Corrado recalled. Justin Schultz on IR.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:17 am

FLPensFan wrote:Frank Corrado recalled. Justin Schultz on IR.

Huh... I'd have thought they'd bump Trotman.. Else why have him in PIT?
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:27 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:

From what I am hearing, Trotman will play tonight. Corrado brought up to be the 7th defenseman. Sounds like Hunwick is not ready to come back yet, either.

Dumoulin-Letang
Cole-Schultz
Maatta-Trotman

Those are probably the expected D-pairs for tonight, with Corrado up as the 7th.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:32 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:

From what I am hearing, Trotman will play tonight. Corrado brought up to be the 7th defenseman. Sounds like Hunwick is not ready to come back yet, either.

Dumoulin-Letang
Cole-Schultz
Maatta-Trotman

Those are probably the expected D-pairs for tonight, with Corrado up as the 7th.

I stand corrected. I'd somehow assumed Hunwick would be making a return. :fist:
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins