Sheahan Traded to the Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Sheahan Traded to the Penguins

Postby pens_CT on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:03 pm

For Scott Wilson. Pens send a third round pick to the Wings also, and Detroit sends a 5th round to Pittsburgh as part of the deal. Let the complaining commence.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Sheahan Traded to the Penguins

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:09 pm

I'm fine with it. Wilson isn't cracking the lineup and as an RFA after the season maybe would price himself out of the picture anywhere (why spend ~$1 million on a guy who's not even a regular). The draft picks probably aren't much different in reality, probably a pick near the end of the third vs a fifth near the front.

My thoughts on Sheahan are the same as before. Decent upside, little downside. At worst, he doesn't work out and they can bury him in the minors or send him out in a trade. This doesn't preclude a bigger trade later. At best, he regains his form and role (has been playing fourth line wing this season) and is a relatively young third line center who is controlled for a few more years. Somewhere in between, he may be the best fit of all our guys as a fourth line center after they trade for a better third line center later.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Antonio on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:09 pm

I think I'm okay with that deal
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:13 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I'm fine with it. Wilson isn't cracking the lineup and as an RFA after the season maybe would price himself out of the picture anywhere (why spend ~$1 million on a guy who's not even a regular). The draft picks probably aren't much different in reality, probably a pick near the end of the third vs a fifth near the front.

My thoughts on Sheahan are the same as before. Decent upside, little downside. At worst, he doesn't work out and they can bury him in the minors or send him out in a trade. This doesn't preclude a bigger trade later. At best, he regains his form and role (has been playing fourth line wing this season) and is a relatively young third line center who is controlled for a few more years. Somewhere in between, he may be the best fit of all our guys as a fourth line center after they trade for a better third line center later.

Agree with your last line. I doubt he goes to the AHL. At worse he upgrades our 4C and they acquire a 3C. They're banking on another Schultz type reclamation, obviously there's something they see.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby pens_CT on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:13 pm

Sheahan is an upgrade over what we have centering the bottom two lines based on his NHL history. Hopefully the change of scenery helps him get back to what he was prior to last season.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:22 pm

Fine with me. More center depth the better!

I like his size. 6'3 center.

Will hopefully be 4th line center by the trade deadline.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Durbano on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:29 pm

Wonder if he'll play Tuesday and, if so, who gets scratched.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:33 pm

Doesn't seem to be much out of order with this deal. The picks are the least important asset traded, tid for tad at that as well.

Wilson and an additional 1.65M cap space for Sheahan. Wilson wasn't playing and with the acquisition of a C, Rowney becomes another spare part for the wings.

Still will have things on offer if we want to trade things later in the season, but I firmly believe until the trade deadline comes in sight, this is it.

Welcome to the team Riley Sheahan :fist:
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:35 pm

So long Scott Wilson, good luck!
Welcome latest new guy!
I know I've seen his name mentioned to the pens all summer.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ville5 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:36 pm

Nice. I like. Not a fan of Rowney or McKegg. At worst, it's a lateral move. But I have a feeling it'll be an upgrade.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby THEREALpittsburghpenguins on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:41 pm

Wait...... He is an upgrade? He has 0 points in 8 games. 5 shots on goal. 42% on face offs. Last year he was horrible. We just used up our valuable cap space for a guy who does not produce.
THEREALpittsburghpenguins

Postby ville5 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:47 pm

THEREALpittsburghpenguins wrote:Wait...... He is an upgrade? He has 0 points in 8 games. 5 shots on goal. 42% on face offs. Last year he was horrible. We just used up our valuable cap space for a guy who does not produce.

The guy played some good hockey under Babcock. I think Sully can work some magic.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:53 pm

Sent a player who was a surplus for a position we had zero depth in. Sheahan is an NHL quality center and this is a good trade.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby THEREALpittsburghpenguins on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:54 pm

I'll hope for a big turnaround but he has really fell off a cliff. Maybe a change in scenery will do the trick, but no points in 8 games is concerning. 2 goals in 80 games last year is more concerning.
THEREALpittsburghpenguins

Postby ville5 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:57 pm

THEREALpittsburghpenguins wrote:I'll hope for a big turnaround but he has really fell off a cliff. Maybe a change in scenery will do the trick, but no points in 8 games is concerning. 2 goals in 80 games last year is more concerning.

Hoping it's Detroit's system and/or use of him. Neither of our 2 centers can average .50 points per game as Sheahan did under Babcock's tenure. Only time will tell.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Saskunitz on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:57 pm

THEREALpittsburghpenguins wrote:Wait...... He is an upgrade? He has 0 points in 8 games. 5 shots on goal. 42% on face offs. Last year he was horrible. We just used up our valuable cap space for a guy who does not produce.

Niskanen, Shultz, Cole, Daley, Hagelin, etc.

Pens tend to do well with guys that are not wanted
Saskunitz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:58 pm

THEREALpittsburghpenguins wrote:I'll hope for a big turnaround but he has really fell off a cliff. Maybe a change in scenery will do the trick, but no points in 8 games is concerning. 2 goals in 80 games last year is more concerning.

The entire Wings organization fell off the same cliff too. I think things will be drastically different in Pittsburgh especially with the wing depth we have here. Playing with guys like Rust, Hags, Geuntzel, Sheary, Horny, maybe even Spring and ZAR eventually, it's an ideal situation for a center to come in and just focus on playing hockey and turn it around.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:14 pm

And Rowney blocks a shot and left the ice already tonight. Looks like there might not be any debate on who sits.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:50 pm

He has a career 8% shooting percentage. He shot 1% last year. It's damn near impossible for that to continue and he should regress nearer the norm.

If he works out, he's an RFA and could probably be re-signed to a friendly deal. If not, well he walks at the end of the year, but at least opened some space while he was here. For someone in a scoring drought, this isn't exactly a bad place to try to regain it. He's also a pretty decent forechecker, so in Sully's system he could figure it out again. It's all hope, but obviously the front office saw something they liked for quite a while. No guarantees, but Wilson wasn't exactly addressing the issue either.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Steve on Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:59 pm

Sounds like a bust, at least based on the standards on this board. If you don't produce within the first two games on the team, you're a bust. (just like Hunwick and Reaves). Of course, we usually wait until they actually play a game here before we write them off.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Owchar76 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:51 pm

murphydump55 wrote:

He has a career 8% shooting percentage. He shot 1% last year. It's damn near impossible for that to continue and he should regress nearer the norm.

If he works out, he's an RFA and could probably be re-signed to a friendly deal. If not, well he walks at the end of the year, but at least opened some space while he was here. For someone in a scoring drought, this isn't exactly a bad place to try to regain it. He's also a pretty decent forechecker, so in Sully's system he could figure it out again. It's all hope, but obviously the front office saw something they liked for quite a while. No guarantees, but Wilson wasn't exactly addressing the issue either.

Yes. But he actually takes more cap space, not less.
Owchar76
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghThing on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:53 pm

Can he play backup goalie?
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Owchar76 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:58 pm

BurghThing wrote:Can he play backup goalie?

No, but neither can Niemi. Maybe they could switch positions?
Owchar76
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sigwolf on Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Chance of an upgrade at center, with no real cost to the team... that sucks...
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:04 am

Owchar76 wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Yes. But he actually takes more cap space, not less.

Long term, he should be an upgrade over Rowney and McKegg. May take him a little bit to get going here, but he went from a 3C in Detroit, to a 4C, to a 4th line LW. While he can play wing, it doesn't seem to suit his game.

In terms of cap space, Penguins currently show as 765K of space with 14 forwards, 8 defense (Hunwick on IR), and 2 goalies. Hunwick comes back, Trotman goes down. Cap space then goes to 1.41M. While not necessary, I would not be surprised if Archibald is sent to WBS soon. Either he needs to be able to rotate in for Kuhnhackl or Reaves, or he needs to be sent down. If he goes to WBS, that would put cap space at just over 2M. That's plenty to continue to bank cap space and be in a position to make a bigger trade down the road.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins